Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210901_234037663 (resized).jpg
cancel (resized).jpg
dolly-comp-1 (resized).jpg
dolly-comp-3 (resized).jpg
dolly-comp-2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

About a month or so ago I received my Dolly Parton CPR replacement playfield for a pin I'm working on. As I am starting to get into the project, the difference between the fidelity of the art between old and new is pretty dramatic.

The black key lines of the original screen-printed art are very crisp and have fine detail that gets totally blown out in the reproduction. This seems to be the result of a poorly scanned or Photoshopped image on CPR's end, and not due to the limitations of the print resolution (for example). It's a bummer, because the original art is so good, and the fine detail in things like the microphone and Dolly's face really bring it to life.

A few side-by-sides for your consideration (original art on the left, CPR reproduction art on the right).

dolly-comp-1 (resized).jpgdolly-comp-1 (resized).jpg
dolly-comp-2 (resized).jpgdolly-comp-2 (resized).jpg
dolly-comp-3 (resized).jpgdolly-comp-3 (resized).jpg

The same sort of distortion happens across the entire design, including the hand-drawn text elements throughout.

I will drop CPR a note and see if this is consistent across all of their Dollys, but it seems pretty clear that the issue is with the art itself and not in the printing.

Just wanted to share in case anyone is considering buying one, and wants a closer look. (Shoot me a DM if you want more pics).

I have made my living for a long time as a graphic artist and designer, and I'd be 100% willing to do the work of re-creating the art from an original scan if CPR would be cool to share it. I'll sign an NDA! Whatever you need! I'm confident I could recreate it with precision and help the playfields look great for the future. All I ask in return is a new playfield with the fresh art

Thanks for your time. Cheers!

#3 2 years ago

*Among a LOT of others.

Some of the issues looks like they vectorize art, and then don't go back to touch it up and make it match better, using photoshop's "trace" option.

#4 2 years ago

Was that playfield digitally printed or screen printed? If it was screen printed, it's very possible that the vector artwork WAS an exact copy of the original Bally playfield artwork with its finer, crisper lines and details, and that the ink spread when printed. If these were halftones, the effect would be called "dot gain", where, for example, halftone dots that are supposed to represent a 40% tint spread during printing and now might be 50% or more, causing the shade to darken. The linework all looks the same in your sample pics, just much thicker on the reprint, so it's not like different artwork was used. Even the dots in the red on her shirt and reflections on her nails are smaller, which means the red ink spread also.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Was that playfield digitally printed or screen printed? If it was screen printed, it's very possible that the vector artwork WAS an exact copy of the original Bally playfield artwork with its finer, crisper lines and details, and that the ink spread when printed. If these were halftones, the effect would be called "dot gain", where, for example, halftone dots that are supposed to represent a 40% tint spread during printing and now might be 50% or more, causing the shade to darken. The linework all looks the same in your sample pics, just much thicker on the reprint, so it's not like different artwork was used. Even the dots in the red on her shirt and reflections on her nails are smaller, which means the red ink spread also.

The reproduction is a digital print of some kind. Large format inkjet deal. The original is screen-printed.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

The reproduction is a digital print of some kind. Large format inkjet deal. The original is screen-printed.

I wonder if their sample playfield that they created the artwork from had some sort of ink spread, and they just copied exactly what that looked like. My repro Sorcerer backglass (NOT from CPR but from PP) was like that. The original had much finer and intricate details, and I was kinda disappointed with the thicker black outlines and loss of detail of the reproduction. Turns out that their sample was exactly like that, and even the backglass photo on the Sorcerer flyer shows the thicker lines.

#7 2 years ago

For any sort of illumination of another recent pf for comparison. There’s definitely heavier lines as a trend.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-cheetah-club-its-fast/page/8#post-6323720

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I wonder if their sample playfield that they created the artwork...

Their sample PFs are always 100% accurate and any diff'rences are your problem. Just ask them!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

For any sort of illumination of another recent pf for comparison. There’s definitely heavier lines as a trend.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-cheetah-club-its-fast/page/8#post-6323720

It's unfortunate. The recreation of the art is the source of the problem here. Either someone is having a hard time manipulating the scans/art, or they simply don't care. Because clearly we all notice, and they do as well.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

I will drop CPR a note and see if this is consistent across all of their Dollys, but it seems pretty clear that the issue is with the art itself and not in the printing.

Let us know the response in 2 weeks.

#11 2 years ago

Outrageously bad. I'd be really pissed and return it immediately. As a graphics guy myself I think most of their work is awful. It has nothing to do with their printing process and everything to do with their art director.

Of course they'll always respond and say that the copy they were working from was EXACTLY like this. Bullshit.

#12 2 years ago

My TFTC plastics have thicker line art, I think pretty much all cpr art is like that.
They always say 'all art redone by hand', I guess 'mouse-click select tool' qualifies for that.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Their sample PFs are always 100% accurate and any diff'rences are your problem. Just ask them!

This is soooooo true. Cue the two page grilling, degrading tone, and your just seeing things response from Kevin.

#14 2 years ago

I don't have Photoshop, but in GIMP (if anyone is curious), this result is achieved through "filters>artistic>cartoon."

I could see the effect being an improvement at times, but I agree it's overdone on this Dolly.

I haven't gotten a playfield from them yet, but I've been happy with all of the CPR backglasses I've gotten (despite the subjective Pinside debates on them).

#15 2 years ago

In defense of CPR, I've had my issues.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-preorders-are-meaningless

However, they have always made things right with me. Kevin stepped up in that situation. Mike made another issue whole I had. They are very slow to answer emails however. But I would give them the time to correct this before grabbing pitch forks.

#16 2 years ago

As someone who does some work in Photoshop and Illustrator, I've seen this before.
Both those have tools to help "automate" a re-drawing process, however, when the detail is relatively small, their software has problems with extrapolation, thus things just become merged together.
I've created many translites from original BG, and at first I used those "automated" tools, now, almost every line is re-drawn by hand.
Is it much more time consuming, you bet your arse, but opposed to the results posted by the OP here, the results are worth it - IMO.

So, my two cents, it looks as if this product was rushed through the digitization process.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

As someone who does some work in Photoshop and Illustrator, I've seen this before.
Both those have tools to help "automate" a re-drawing process, however, when the detail is relatively small, their software has problems with extrapolation, thus things just become merged together.
I've created many translites from original BG, and at first I used those "automated" tools, now, almost every line is re-drawn by hand.
Is it much more time consuming, you bet your arse, but opposed to the results posted by the OP here, the results are worth it - IMO.
So, my two cents, it looks as if this product was rushed through the digitization process.

Gotta disagree with you, if you're referring to the Adobe Illustrator's and other tracing programs. I used Adobe Streamline in the 90's and various online tracing websites later on, and currently use Illustrator's tracing feature on a daily basis. Tracing might merge some things only if they're practically abutting each other, but those extremely thin lines and dots, like the shadings in Dolly's neck for example, would likely be ignored entirely and omitted from the final vector, not thickened like that. Here's a jpeg export of a quick trace I just did of Dolly's hand & mike pic above. The linework looks like shit because the image was low-res and no cleanup done to it, but you can see the nothing was thickened, except perhaps minimally due to the messy linework. This looks nothing like the thick black lines in rockwell's CPR sample pic.

What may be possible is this, though - the original playfield scan may have had the colors knocked out of it in Photoshop, leaving a black and white only design, and then using a little blurring and contrasting, or adding a stroke to the outlines, or any of several other methods, all the edges of the black were thickened slightly to give the black a little more "bulk", and then that was vectorized. But the tracing itself wouldn't thicken anything up on its own, it would only result in very messy and uneven curved lines unless the black and white image was super-high resolution and had sharply defined edges.

cancel (resized).jpgcancel (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#18 2 years ago

Oh geez, I almost forgot. There's also this! A fly in my soup!

PXL_20210901_234037663 (resized).jpgPXL_20210901_234037663 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#19 2 years ago

I have a dolly with a killer playfield but obviously not new and was considering buying theirs for two weeks im glad I found this
I think CPR is great for replacing trashed playfields but won’t go for this to get something perfect

That does suck man I love my Dolly

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I have a dolly with a killer playfield

I gotta ask … if it’s killer why change it?

I’d much rather have a mint original PF.

The only reason I ever buy a new PF is if my game is completely trashed.

In saying that - my Dolly PF is average, I’ll buy any “killer” used playfields!

rd

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

The only thing that’s not nice on it is the inserts are slightly cupped you can feel it
I was considering replacement because of that

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Maybe that makes mine average ha ha I wouldn’t know
Most I’ve seen,in person were pretty rough
Other then that all artwork there and in fantastic shape

#23 2 years ago

Maybe that makes mine average ha ha I wouldn’t know
Most I’ve seen,in person were pretty rough
Other then that all artwork there and in fantastic shape

Send it my way!

I have a depot in CA.

rd

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Send it my way!
I have a depot in CA.
rd

Ha ha I guess that answers my concerns
I just legit like to play this game and having it around

#25 2 years ago

The only thing that’s not nice on it is the inserts are slightly cupped you can feel it
I was considering replacement because of that

Find some local guy that does clear-coating. They can fill in the cupping inserts and clear the entire playfield. If that's all that's wrong with your playfield! If you prefer the CPR over what you have then sale the used one to offset the cost of the CPR.

1 month later
#26 2 years ago

boy that looks like ass. I mean at least something is available, I guess, but that's a far cry from the original.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-dolly-parton-playfield-review-not-great and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.