• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

34tbgnc.jpg
st protovsprod.jpg
#1 9 years ago

CPR Bally Star Trek Playfield Mod.............

The New CPR Bally Star Trek Playfield comes complete with this New Custom Mod Kit ready to install during your Playfield Swap ( No additional charge for the mod ). This is version 3 Revision and is shot as a Mock-Up and Triggered Manually. In "Ready Mode" the Enterprise Engine Nacelles will have a Low "glow" and during game-play making the Warp Factor Shot will trigger the Mod Sequencing......Again, this is just a Mock-Up....

What you see on the playfield in this video is a foam-core section of the new PF graphics that I did for the new playfield. I cut 2 holes in the foam-core and inserted real Clear Plastic Inserts and then covered the foam-core with an ink-jet print and mounted the actual Mod to the backside behind the clear inserts. This mock-up was created so that we could test the programming for proper Switching and Sequencing. The mod is hooked up Temporarily which is why you will see wires on the playfield and for this video I had to trigger everything Manually, so it's a bit "off" from the actual game-play trigger but you will get the idea.

Our new CPR ST Mod will ONLY be usable in the New CPR Bally Star Trek Playfield and will Not work in an original Bally PF. Our new PF is custom designed specifically for this mod. For the "purists" out there that will not want to install this mod you have nothing to worry about as the inserts are covered with screen-printed graphics and the inserts will not be visible if you do not install the mod.

We are only making enough of these mods to be shipped with our new playfield and they will Not be available for purchase separately, so please don't ask to buy one as there won't be any available to buy.

I developed this mod to be an "Earned" Mod, so to activate it you have to "earn it" by shooting the ball into the Warp Factor ( upper right pf shot ) thus rolling over the Shooter Lane switch which activates the end-of-ball Bonus and Collects the Value. The Warp Factor was the perfect switch for triggering the Engines on the Enterprise! There are actually 2 New Switches with this mod so that the shooter lane switch keeps in sequence with the ball-in-play (first activation sets the mod in "ready" mode & the second activation "triggers" the mod. The second switch actually turns off the "ready mode" in case you never make the Warp Shot during ball play; this keeps the program sequencing correct throughout the game ).

Installation will be very simple during your PF Swap and should only take about 7-8 minutes ( all new Hardware is Included with the Kit ).

......Again, this is just a Mock-Up....

Stu
CPR Art Director

#2 9 years ago

I can't wait for the CPR playfield and this Mod, seems like forever I have been on the request list.

Thanks for the great work.

#3 9 years ago

When will this pf be ready for shipping?

#4 9 years ago

If all goes as planned — we will be screen-printing it in a couple of weeks, so maybe 6-7 weeks ( give or take )...

#5 9 years ago

I like that you guys are getting creative with these playfields (the extra work on Fire being another example, and the extra Getaway plastics too I guess count). Fun to see new ideas on old games, that don't "mess" with them if you don't care for them.

#6 9 years ago

If this was available when I had my Bally Star Trek, I might have kept it.

My playfield was rough. Good luck.

#7 9 years ago

Nice mod Stu. I like your color changers in the transporter lanes too, seems very fitting.

#8 9 years ago

Cool idea! Can you activate the mod by short plunging the ball over the shooter lane switch?

#9 9 years ago

actually yes you can as long as the ball went all the way past the switch to put it in Ready mode then rolled back over it to Trigger the sequencing....BUT THAT WAS NOT THE INTENT of this Mod...it was meant to be EARNED! So NO Cheating!!!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

If all goes as planned — we will be screen-printing it in a couple of weeks, so maybe 6-7 weeks ( give or take )...

Glad to hear that. Hopefully it will give me enough time to make a new cabinet to go with the new pf.

#11 9 years ago

Sorry - I had to down thumb this... As I feel some like I've been copied without even an acknowledgment.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball#post-641800
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/4#post-1314417

Maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... but I can't help feel like some sort of compensation is in order.

#12 9 years ago

Very cool. Love what you guys do for our hobby!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sorry - I had to down thumb this... As I feel some like I've been copied without even an acknowledgment.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball#post-641800
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/4#post-1314417
Maybe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... but I can't help feel like some sort of compensation is in order.

Sum bitch. I'm a fan of CPR and what they do, but they didn't even give you a reach around...

#14 9 years ago

Great mod !

looking forward to receiving the pf and bg so i can start the resto.

Good job guys.

#15 9 years ago

If I remember right this mod was listed on CPR's web site when I was added to the list and that's been a wile back, at least a year or more.
Looks great but,
Did the price of the Star Trek playfield go up?
It's now listed as $699.00
I could have sworn it was $599.00 but I could, I say I could be wrong on both accounts.

#16 9 years ago

The cost of wood (per sheet) has more than Tripled since we first listed this title on the request page back in early 2012....Also, many of th Inserts as well as other factors have gone way up in cost as well.....

Also Note that in the Top Yellow Banner Area for the price it's labeled as " Estimated Price "

Quoted from SaminVA:

I could have sworn it was $599.00

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I know you have been working on your mirror universe for a long time, but talk of this mod has been on the CPR site for a long time also. I think it is an example of parallel thinking rather than copying but thats just my 2 cents.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I've got your back too. Seems funny that you finish your project this year, and then this "backburner" mod CPR promises suddenly gets finished.

Terrific job on the Mirror Universe project. Someone needs to at least personally address this issue with you.

#19 9 years ago

Is CPR going to have more Star Trek playfield plastics and backglasses when the playfield is released?

#20 9 years ago

Hey Zit;

What guy hasn't looked at their Star Trek and thought, “Now why didn't Bally just illuminate those nacelles?” CPR did too and apparently, so did you.

When CPR decided way back in 2012 to make the Star Trek PF, Stu and I “both” had the almost the same idea, “This time she’ll have NACELLE LIGHTS!” Now, to be honest, my idea was to just add the two inserts and allow the guys to mod them as they saw fit, which I assumed was to be just GI lights or maybe small 3 LED chase lights you see on promo tags etc. Stu, being Stu, wanted something more....much more. He spent a LONG time coming up with what he did and I think it’s very cool.

I looked briefly and cannot see where you demonstrated your mod with video "before 2012" so I doubt you had anything to copy until about the same time we did. This has been in development for a very long time. I have been after Stu for many months to post a video but he’s been working to change up the sequence and triggers etc and has gone through countless versions of the software that drives this thing. Even after it was ready to show, he wouldn't post anything until I sent him inserts so he could build a realistic mock up. These could have been ready to show in late 2013 but there was no sense as the playfield was still a long way off. As for the timing.... I had Stu show the video because I wanted to have him stop tweaking it. There were and are no sinister motives... The playfields were cut months and months ago and when it came time to starting the screening process it was only logical that I had Stu stop tweaking the crap outta this and show everyone, including me, what he's been working on for so long.

Your wording of “unlicensed” in your posts seems to indicate that you have gone ahead and applied for a patent or something for this. Again if you have a patent pending filing before 2012 then maybe we do owe you an apology but I don't think a patent would ever be issued for something as broad as this. We did not take this idea from you, it’s an idea that many many people have had when they played Star Trek, the only difference is that CPR has the ability to make ideas like this a reality on a bigger scale.

If you feel somehow slighted then I do apologize for making you feel this way but I simply don’t see how we “owe” you anything.

Mike Purcell

#21 9 years ago

Mike,
In many posts; you guys have gone out of way to tell people your doing faithful reproductions.
Once you asked if anyone had NOS PFs for a DE Star Trek. I offered; but was declined due to it may have "touch ups".

As far as I know; it's been historically against CPRs policy to not make any changes except when you can't "color match" using off the shelf inks. The only exception to the rule AFAIK would be the special centaur artwork you did. This mod seems to be way off the beaten path for CPR; maybe it was just ill fated timing.

I never provided a "before 2012" statement. My evidence was clearly posted in the thread above.

Regardless; I'm willing accept your assertions that it was an independent thought at coincidentally similarly time frames.

#22 9 years ago

Considering what CPR just did with Fire! and The Getaway plastics (not to mention the Wizard backglass woman's skin color change) it's more than clear that they're not afraid to stray from being purists.

Starting with a clean slate before doing so makes sense though.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Considering what CPR just did with Fire! and The Getaway plastics (not to mention the Wizard backglass woman's skin color change) it's more than clear that they're not afraid to stray from being purists.
Starting with a clean slate before doing so makes sense though.

What's different on The Getaway plastics?

#24 9 years ago

This is just a dumb argument. Another Butt-Hurt hobbyist complaining that they came up with something first. I mean seriously what do you expect to get out of this whole thing? Greed always comes out when people realize they might be able to get something out of it. Its just like the BS people are putting on Clay for the repair guides. Just a bunch of whiners wanting their fifteen minutes.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And...
Black Knight silver ed. pf
Xenon gold ed. pf
Space Shuttle 30th anniv. ed. pf
Centaur white ed. pf

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

What's different on The Getaway plastics?

Stu made some cool alternate ones with different text, optional to use.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

And...
Black Knight silver ed. pf
Xenon gold ed. pf
Space Shuttle 30th anniv. ed. pf
Centaur white ed. pf

Xenon playfield with 2 added bulb holes cut under the tube ramp
PinBot Mini Playfield "Bling Edition" with mirrored bits
DE Playboy 35th Anni mirrored plastics (instead of original gold)
Mirrored Centaur backglass
Black Knight playfields w/ starburst inserts (didn't really have a choice - no jewelled)
TZ Powerfields with the "Flip Here" removed
Mirrored Whirlwind backglass
BoP Face Cube w/ permanent cemented ball guides (instead of original bolt-on)
CFTBL Speaker Panels with mirrored cars and light mask layer on back
BK plastics with return lane guides gargoyles flipped rightside up (original is upside down)
Mirrored Centaur plastics

I had forgotten a lot of the ones people are listing. There were more times than I thought where we deviated from original in order to make (what we believed) was a pimp-up or improvement to something.

Take it easy on Zitt, guys. He was being honest in his feelings, and with new recent communication (here and in private email) I think he has learned a whole lot more since his initial post. I have not a single doubt in my mind he genuinely thought we stole his idea of making LED animated nacelles on the ST playfield, thus he felt trounced. As everybody knows, we have always been forthcoming giving due credit for any contributors of all kinds. Our site is filled with credit for all things everywhere. I think the only retail site in pinball that does such a thing - right in the listing(s) for starters. Had Zitt's idea truly been the catalyst that brought us to thinking up that mod, we would CERTAINLY have given credit where credit is due. We also would have reached out for circuit design help from him.

X-Pin could tell you - we've been "from scratch" on this thing since day one. They started with a complete blank slate.

Anyway, no drama. Zitt's M.U. machine is AMAZING, and having seen his thread for the first time only since he linked it above, my jaw is still on the floor. Nixie displays? Are you freaking KIDDING me ??? Wow. Just wow.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#28 9 years ago

PS: The Wayback Machine is your friend

May 25, 2013:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130525081817/http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

I wish there was an earlier 2013 snapshot, but there you have it. The ST playfield preorder had the public msg of our animated LED nacelles since the preorder Inbox was opened (early 2013). About 1 year, 4 months ago+

Zitt's first reveal (ever) of his animated LED nacelle board to the public was 8 months ago (according to PinSide):

#29 9 years ago

I retract my resentment, accusation, and karma downvote. The whole story can be summed up with this webarchive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130525081817/http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html
so it truly was parallel independent thinking. I don't follow CPRs work unless it's posted here - so had no clue.

And to Squeakman specifically... I feel for you when someone does you wrong (or you think they did)... must be nice to live in a world where nothing bad (or perceived bad) happens to you and yours.

It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with greed. Had it been different and they had approached me first; I given permission anyway. Hell; I may have even changed the design of my LED boards for little or nothing.

#30 9 years ago

Happy that this issue has be put to bed in warp speed (punn intended)....now everyone go back to their Beer & game of Pinball

#31 9 years ago

Group hug achieved!
Not all vendors would put this much heart into clearing the air peacefully on something this touchy.
Lead by example.
-mof

#32 9 years ago

I've gotta echo Aurich - I really like that CPR has found ways to turn the knobs just a little bit farther on some of their projects. That Fire! playfield, with the re-thinking of that logo insert, is something else.

#33 9 years ago

Thanks, initially it took some doing to convince Mike & Kevin to do that, but after the decision was made to move forward with it they backed me 100%....I think it came out beautiful and it really does Enhance the lighting ( blocking out the lit corners of the "old" window area by containing the Window to the contour of the Logo...And No More Screws in the Playfield!....We also did much more with the Light Blocking layer ( Prior to White ) to enhance the 12 Triangular Fire Inserts ( Stationary Targets ) so that ONLY the Flames light up Instead of the entire Insert! That came out Great.

I have a bunch of other modifications that I would like to do & we are constantly looking at additional features to make things better, but the downside is that they MUST be cost effective to do them on such Short Run projects.....If we were doing runs of 3-4000 it would be easy to amortize the cost from a per unit basis but short runs get expensive.

But I'm sure there will be many more "mods" in the future for CPR.....We are striving to make things Better than they ever were from the factory; back in the day they never cared how things came out or even if thing were in registration as these games were made to be 5 year throw-aways.....

Stu

Quoted from Blackjacker:

That Fire! playfield, with the re-thinking of that logo insert, is something else.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

But I'm sure there will be many more "mods" in the future for CPR.....We are striving to make things Better than they ever were from the factory; back in the day they never cared how things came out or even if thing were in registration as these games were made to be 5 year throw-aways.....

I don't even own a Fire!, but I for one appreciate the obvious effort to make things better. It's how it should have been done if someone really cared. For arcade use it's understandable no one did, like you said these were essentially disposable, but now I know people will benefit from the extra thought now.

#35 9 years ago

So are any of you CPR guys going to answer my question?

Or am I on your "ignore list" or something?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

So are any of you CPR guys going to answer my question?
Or am I on your "ignore list" or something?

I am almost scared to ask but maybe if they answer your question then maybe they will answer mine too.
I'll start by saying I did buy one of the Star Trek Prototype backglasses and playfield plastics and they are great but I did have one small disappointment with the plastics in the color matching. The blue was not close to the originals so the new plastics don't match the blue on the playfield. Will the blue on the new playfield's be matched to the original or will it be the same as the blue in the new plastics?
If it matters, I like the original blue better.

st protovsprod.jpgst protovsprod.jpg

#37 9 years ago

Yeah I remember that. I bought a set back then too and posted an NOS part next to the CPR part remember?

34tbgnc.jpg34tbgnc.jpg

CPR seems to take some liberties when it comes to color matching but the plastics are still pretty-nice. I sold the CPR Star Trek set I had but still have my NOS one. I would rather save my NOS set though and use a new CPR set with the playfield I ordered. I wouldn't mind getting a backglass too. It's hard to buy everything piece-mealed and would be nice if they offer it all at once too. They do for most of their playfields. Hopefully they'll follow suit with the Star Trek stuff.

It looks like CPR makes improvements on each production run too so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to tweak the colors a tad next time around.

I think they have me on ignore though because they don't seem very responsive. Hopefully I'm still on the playfield list. I think I signed up for it twice.

#38 9 years ago

No ignore lists, guys. I'm simply never on here much. You can always check to see I'm not logged on. I just happened to come back today to check how things went in this thread. All my mind has been on re:PinSide was the Zitt thing. Frankly, breezed by Gatecrasher's question a day ago. My bad. I suspect Stu was the same way, and considered this thread concluded and may not have checked back either, and he's on here every day.

So I'll take a crack at the question(s).

Plastics re-run. I'm pretty sure we're going to cram in a re-run. It's logical. I want to. Everybody seems to be sold out. Playfields spurn newfound interest for plastics. It's definitely a period when guys finally consider giving up on their old plastics - when they know that swap is coming.

Backglass re-run. Likely not immediately. Meaning not at playfield time. But it certainly is another potential re-run on our list of past glasses, because it's seemingly sold out everywhere too.

Blue. That was me. I was attempting to form a "trilogy" over time, where the CPR (proto) backglass, CPR plastics, and CPR playfield would more "match" in the end. Once all three were in, say, one machine. That blue tone on the proto glass (not nearly as "pale" as on the stock glass) influenced my pull of the blue on our proto/stock plastics set somewhat in that more toned direction. It's amazing what only 5% more Process Blue C can do in an ink blend. I probably could have stopped at 3% in retrospect. The hope was always, of course, that eyes & brains forget colors when old parts are thrown away, and adopt the new ones as the parts come out. Of course the change looks stark when in a side-by-side comparison, so I can't win there. Unless folks were mixing repro/original pieces on their machine, I wasn't worried about such a difference ever being visible. But with the playfield coming, that final blue on the playfield needs to be pretty much what people expect. If the blue is going to be "freshened" on the playfield, I won't have the leeway by much. 1% shift or less. To make up for 30 years of fade/dulling, and that's it. When the plastics DO get re-run, I will likely take the opportunity of that rare second attempt to take the blue back in the OTHER direction, to marry better with the repro playfield. I want these CPR parts to all "speak to each other" as parts in the same machine. So believe me, all this is on my mind. There isn't much, if any, room to tinker with the playfield blue people are so used to. So it may end up becoming the new benchmark, and I'll have to say "frig it" to the CPR proto backglass blue. A backglass is important, but not as important as everything matching as best as possible under the playfield glass.

#39 9 years ago

Stu's too busy doing CPR artwork to answer 1,000 questions every day....but I do answer about 999 of them......

#40 9 years ago

That's good news. Either way the new playfields will still look good.

2 months later
#41 9 years ago

Just sent Kevin some Paypal money for a brand new Bally Star Trek PF and Plastics combo. Don't have an immediate need; but it'd be nice to have a backup for a future game... so any lingering hard feelings are definitely gone.

I'm looking forward to getting the PF to see how they did their LED mod.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Just sent Kevin some Paypal money for a brand new Bally Star Trek PF and Plastics combo. Don't have an immediate need; but it'd be nice to have a backup for a future game... so any lingering hard feelings are definitely gone.
I'm looking forward to getting the PF to see how they did their LED mod.

Hey Zitt, They nailed the background blue this time on the new plastics run but did you know about the changes in the color of some of the playfield plastic inserts? What's your take on the differences?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/received-my-new-cpr-playfield-today#post-2006952

#43 9 years ago

I hadn't heard there were insert differences; but given other claiming that there were different kinds of inserts used; I can't really complain.
I've seen most inserts either yellow or white... so as long as they do one or the other; I'm ok with it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-bally-star-trek-playfield-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.