(Topic ID: 263925)

Pics of Your CPR Backglasses And Comparisons w/Originals?

By BallyTim

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by Fatsquatch
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2658 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2657 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4818 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4810 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4811 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4931 (resized).jpeg
S&S CPR (resized).jpg
CPR product (resized).jpg
S&S CPR 3 (resized).jpg
S&S eBay (resized).jpg
Flaw2 (resized).jpg
Flaw1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2558 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2557 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi Guys,

Anyone want to share comparison photos of your CPR backglasses with your originals?

I'd love to see any and all. In particular I'd like to see a Rolling Stones and a Fireball II, as I'm needing replacements. But again, please share any you have.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I bought a Bally Star Trek and it is way too dark and does not light up very well.

I do not use it because of this and now sits in a room collecting dust. I'll post pics later.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I bought a Bally Star Trek and it is way too dark and does not light up very well.
I do not use it because of this and now sits in a room collecting dust. I'll post pics later.

Bought the TZ backglass. The “mirroring” is nice if you have the game off, main lights off and another light far away at an oblique angle. It is far too dark as well. Lights up very blotchy.

#4 4 years ago

Yeah, that sucks, guys!

I was lookin' at the pics of the Rolling Stones on their site and I'm truly without words. That nice original purplish blue background is WAY off! Too blue and really NO purple. And the reds, yellows and oranges are basically just different shades of brown.

I'm almost afraid to open my Fathom that I got from Planetary Pinball, as I think they get their backglasses from CPR. I could be wrong though.

#5 4 years ago

I bought one for my Totan and F14 they look nice but like others have said very dark when lit up. I've been meaning to put in a few Comet matrix strips in one I would think that would help brighten it up.

Taking pics is always hard how it looks in person and in pics is always different. The original one right in person actually looks fine but in the pics it's washed out but not in person. The one on the left the new glass just looks a lot darker in person. The new one still looks good and the mirroring is nice.

PhotoCollage_1582325784564 (resized).jpgPhotoCollage_1582325784564 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Man, that really sucks that all of them have this problem. Maybe it's just inherent with trying to apply the art to a piece of glass vs mylar

#7 4 years ago

That whole background should have a nice purplish tint to it. And I don't see ANY red. The bottom of the lettering and Players 1 and 2 should be red. My photo isn't the best, but I think you can see what I'm referring to. (Second image belongs to CPR.)
89942853_10216046778514225_4198446964108427264_n (resized).jpg89942853_10216046778514225_4198446964108427264_n (resized).jpgstonesglass01 (resized).jpgstonesglass01 (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I bought one for my Totan and F14 they look nice but like others have said very dark when lit up. I've been meaning to put in a few Comet matrix strips in one I would think that would help brighten it up.
Taking pics is always hard how it looks in person and in pics is always different. The original one right in person actually looks fine but in the pics it's washed out but not in person. The one on the left the new glass just looks a lot darker in person. The new one still looks good and the mirroring is nice.[quoted image]

I don't have my AFM anymore, but the CPR backglass for it looked very similar to the F14 here. Certainly darker, but ended up making the colors look much more saturated and rich. I really liked how the AFM looked and prefer the CPR F14 in this comparison too.

#9 4 years ago

My game is not together, but I’m gonna mock it up and make a decision soon on whether to send it back or not.

25864307-EEB5-4BBB-A7E3-F6E9226A1809 (resized).jpeg25864307-EEB5-4BBB-A7E3-F6E9226A1809 (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from BallyTim:

That whole background should have a nice purplish tint to it. And I don't see ANY red. The bottom of the lettering and 1 and 2 players should be red. (Second image belongs to CPR.)[quoted image][quoted image]

Yikes!! How does something like that even leave unnoticed?

John

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

It doesn't. Whenever you discuss colors with CPR all they do is state that their colors are the correct colors saying the original colors of your glass have faded, blah blah blah. It's the reason I didn't buy their Jurassic Park plastic set. The background color was royal blue instead of the blue it was suppose to be.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

Quoted from edward472:

It doesn't. Whenever you discuss colors with CPR all they do is state that their colors are the correct colors saying the original colors of your glass have faded, blah blah blah. It's the reason I didn't buy their Jurassic Park plastic set. The background color was royal blue instead of the blue it was suppose to be.

I've NEVER bought into the "faded" backglass thing. I could take the glass out of ANY of my '70s and '80s era machines and put them next to a HUO machine of the same era that's been sittin' in a dark basement for 40 years, and I bet they would look the same.

You could take a dozen of the same machine from that era and from all different environments, sit 'em side by side and you might see some lifting and flaking, but I doubt any fading. NOT to say it isn't possible. I just have never seen one.

Please educate me if I'm wrong.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

My game is not together, but I’m gonna mock it up and make a decision soon on whether to send it back or not.[quoted image]

I had an absolutely BEAUTIFUL original Viking, that I would bet was HUO, and my backglass looked identical to your original one. I GUARANTEE your backglass is not faded.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I have some serious led behind mine and it's still dim. The light mask is just too heavy.

20200309_161743 (resized).jpg20200309_161743 (resized).jpg
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have some serious led behind mine and it's still dim. The light mask is just too heavy.[quoted image]

WOW! That's too bad, as I LOVE the prototype glass.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from BallyTim:

WOW! That's too bad, as I LOVE the prototype glass.

I'm thinking about some led strips behind the lettering

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm thinking about some led strips behind the lettering

I'd think about a refund and finding an original instead.

John

#18 4 years ago

I’m not gonna bash on CPR. I have bought 5-6 playfields from them. BUT, their glass division seems to be really struggling. It used to be a glass was “off” here or there. I think we are noticing a pattern of issues that are consistent. I hate the argument some people make.... its better than nothing! Ok, sure that’s true. If you’ve got nothing, this is fine. Nobody really also believes the argument everyone’s glass is faded and originally the people on your glass should look tomato color. I just don’t want to walk by my machines and cringe. Is it a technical issue, process problem, or ink deficiency?

#19 4 years ago

Sure would love to see Afm as a comparison.

#20 4 years ago

I have the CPR mirrored backglass in my Scared Stiff and I really like it.
But unlike the others a lot of it is clear glass with no artwork, so it doesn't look too dark.

#21 4 years ago

My RS backglass arrives on Thursday. I'll let everyone know what the quality is like once i get it.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

My RS backglass arrives on Thursday. I'll let everyone know what the quality is like once i get it.

The glass arrived today and Yes- it is more blue'ish than the original. some of the subtle background colors are muddled too. With that said the backglass still looks fantastic. the mirror sections look perfect. overall I'm very pleased with it.

#23 4 years ago

I got a mirrored MM, AFM and MB. Colors are wrong on all of them and they won’t fit in the remakes. Money down the toilet

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

and they won’t fit in the remakes

they were not made for the "remakes" they were made for the Original games.....

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I got a mirrored MM, AFM and MB. Colors are wrong on all of them and they won’t fit in the remakes. Money down the toilet

Can you post pics of Afm? I really appreciate it.

#26 4 years ago

Anyone have an IJ that the could post or let us know how it compares to the translight.

#27 4 years ago

This thread is going to give stu a heart attack

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Yep. I contacted them politely about the colors on their Taxi glass being off and got a flippant response about how their scanner was big money and their colors are 100% correct, so I must be wrong.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Yep. I contacted them politely about the colors on their Taxi glass being off and got a flippant response about how their scanner was big money and their colors are 100% correct, so I must be wrong.

Yeah they religiously defend their colors. If it was one or two people saying the colors were off, not that big of a deal. Hell I have problems seeing green and bluess correctly. But literally everyone can see the obvious color issues. I have a game coming in soon that needs a new glass. Their color issues won't stop me from buying one of their glasses but only as a last resort. Something is better than nothing seems to be the trend when buying their glassses.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Yeah they religiously defend their colors. If it was one or two people saying the colors were off, not that big of a deal. Hell I have problems seeing green and bluess correctly. But literally everyone can see the obvious color issues. I have a game coming in soon that needs a new glass. Their color issues won't stop me from buying one of their glasses but only as a last resort. Something is better than nothing seems to be the trend when buying their glassses.

Maybe you need these

images (1) (resized).jpgimages (1) (resized).jpg
#31 4 years ago

Paragon from a few years back.... new CPR backglass on the left
DSC05805 (resized).JPGDSC05805 (resized).JPG

#32 4 years ago

Thinking about ordering one for medieval . Any issues ?

#33 4 years ago

I think Paragon was one of their best attempts yet.

#34 4 years ago

Guess I'm one of the few that really like mine...BSD, TAF, TZ, and WCS. I like the deep colors, and hint of mirror adds just enough. Grass on WCS a bit lighter, but I use frosted greens behind that area.

BSD off the charts!!!

#35 4 years ago

Kevin did offer a reply to @ballypalooza thread on his Viking. It was long and well detailed. I see his point on colors fading over time. However I have seen many differences in OE and NOS backglasses. Biggest compliant I have it seems the CPR stuff is just darker. I have a NOS Paragon and an OE, they are very close. I have had a NOS SBM next to OE and it was really close. I recently picked up a Bally Playboy that has been sitting in dark storage for all but 1 year of it's life. Compared to another I have the differences are obvious. See post 100 here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-pinball-club-all-owners-and-playboy-lovers-welcome/page/2

#36 4 years ago

So far most I have purchased have been a little off... Plastic sets, while far better than cracked originals have had issues:

Banzai run - browns off, I mixed what was broken with originals and keep the rest in the cabinet.

Getaway. The hot electric neon red border is salmon?

Centaur plastics were perfect.... Backglass on the other hand needs some improvement.

WCS was also perfect.

Nine ball and seawitch I just cleaned up the originals where I could and sold off the repros. Lightning wasn't too bad, but I started with garbage.

Now, I'm Going too keep buying these since I definitely can't do a better job and enjoy assembling games from trash. But it would be great to see a bit more quality control and final tweaking to hit it out of the park. I would pay more for this since I'm an idiot and obsess over details. I might even buy some of these sets over again.

3 years later
#37 71 days ago

WH2O original translite and CPR backglass:

IMG_2557 (resized).jpegIMG_2557 (resized).jpegIMG_2558 (resized).jpegIMG_2558 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#38 59 days ago

The backglass for World Cup is even more impressive than the one for WH2O, ‘cause it has sooooo many more places for the mirroring. Gorgeous!

IMG_2612 (resized).jpegIMG_2612 (resized).jpegIMG_2613 (resized).jpegIMG_2613 (resized).jpeg
#39 58 days ago

I recently picked up a sweet Strikes and Spares and the backglass has hardly any flaws with the exception of an area around and (within) the word "Strikes" where the ink had been scratched, and someone attempted to repair it (with questionable results). It's one of those deals that doesn't look too bad until backlit. UGH!! It kinda gnaws at me, so I'm considering a CPR as a replacement. My concern is with the quality of the image on the repro, which I'll try to illustrate here.

The first two photos are of MY flawed backglass, and the rest are CPR's (one currently for sale on eBay, two from the market archive, and the last one is what is shown on classicplayfields.com). What I'm noticing is that the colors appear sorta washed out on the repro, and the area around the border, which looks greenish-yellow on the original looks BROWN on the repro. I'm also noticing the three figures on the lanes in the background lack the shading seen on the original. And the woman at the center ALSO doesn't seem to have much of the shading seen on my original. Compare the girl in my backglass, with the CPR's, and it's quite a difference. Lastly, on the repro, it looks like there's quite a bit of light shining through areas of the glass that are supposed to be opaque. I'm just a little leery of coughing up that kind of cash for a backglass I might be unhappy with. I'm wondering if these online photos are accurate, or maybe representations of a previous run of the repro?? Can anyone confirm or deny my hunch?

Feedback welcomed...

Flaw1 (resized).jpgFlaw1 (resized).jpgFlaw2 (resized).jpgFlaw2 (resized).jpgS&S eBay (resized).jpgS&S eBay (resized).jpgS&S CPR 3 (resized).jpgS&S CPR 3 (resized).jpgS&S CPR (resized).jpgS&S CPR (resized).jpgCPR product (resized).jpgCPR product (resized).jpg
#40 54 days ago

I posted about this in the Indy owners thread a while ago but then saw this thread so I thought I'd share. I recently got a mirrored backglass for Indiana Jones and I went back and forth with it and decided I prefer the original translite. The CPR glass is way too dark and over saturated. The odd thing is it looks alright when the game is off but when turned on in a dark room it just doesn't look right on the game. I don't know if brighter lights in the backbox would help or if I got a bad product. Also the aspect ratio of the art is slightly off, its only really noticeable when put side by side with the original but the faces, grail and stone are elongated. I boxed it back up, I assumed I couldn't return it so I'll either frame it or sell it used.

Original:
IMG_4810 (resized).jpegIMG_4810 (resized).jpeg

CPR:
IMG_4931 (resized).jpegIMG_4931 (resized).jpeg

CPR Lit:
IMG_4811 (resized).jpegIMG_4811 (resized).jpeg

CPR in backbox, Original on playfield:
IMG_4818 (resized).jpegIMG_4818 (resized).jpeg

#41 54 days ago
Quoted from SiN13:

I posted about this in the Indy owners thread a while ago but then saw this thread so I thought I'd share. I recently got a mirrored backglass for Indiana Jones and I went back and forth with it and decided I prefer the original translite. The CPR glass is way too dark and over saturated. The odd thing is it looks alright when the game is off but when turned on in a dark room it just doesn't look right on the game. I don't know if brighter lights in the backbox would help or if I got a bad product. Also the aspect ratio of the art is slightly off, it’s only really noticeable when put side by side with the original but the faces, grail and stone are elongated. I boxed it back up, I assumed I couldn't return it so I'll either frame it or sell it used.

Honestly, I don’t notice any discernible difference in aspect ratio at all, but I’m an impartial observer and don’t own the game. It DOES however look a little over saturated, but I use Comet “sunlight” whites in most cases, rather than warm or cool whites, and find those really brighten up the art beautifully. You can see some results on my profile page.

Also, when I expressed my concerns directly to them, and they got back to me almost immediately telling me to keep an eye on their page for some modifications to the S&S back glass, as they suspect that a previous run may have been missing a layer. I’m going to give it a couple weeks, and if I like what I see, I might just spring for one. All my other games are near mint, but that gruesome hack job somebody did in the word “Strikes” really triggers my OCD!

1 month later
#42 24 days ago

BSD original translite and CPR backglass:

IMG_2657 (resized).jpegIMG_2657 (resized).jpegIMG_2658 (resized).jpegIMG_2658 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-backglasses-1?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.