(Topic ID: 285358)

CPR Backglass Trim

By pinballinreno

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

INDIVIDUAL PINBALL PARTS FLYER 2024 (resized).jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    PXL_20231004_223858949 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231004_223910093 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210118_170909 (resized).jpg
    20210118_170857 (resized).jpg
    20210118_170850 (resized).jpg
    20210108_101409 (resized).jpg
    20210107_152730 (resized).jpg
    20210107_152752 (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

What trim do you use on WPC 95 games that have the light tub?

Asking for a friend.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

What trim do you use on WPC 95 games that have the light tub?
    Asking for a friend.

WPC 95 trim from pinball life worked pretty good on my MM.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=wpc%2095

It didnt have any ribs on the insides of the trim.

But that was a couple years ago, I imagine its the same today?

I used a 2 inch piece of their "friction" tape applied to the center and each side of the lift channel to firm it up a bit.

You can also put a tiny amount on the top and sides if needed but I didnt feel it was absolutely necessary.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

WPC 95 trim from pinball life worked pretty good on my MM.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=wpc%2095
    It didnt have any ribs on the insides of the trim.
    But that was a couple years ago, I imagine its the same today?
    I used a 2 inch piece of their "friction" tape applied to the center and each side of the lift channel to firm it up a bit.
    You can also put a tiny amount on the top and sides if needed but I didnt feel it was absolutely necessary.

You could get the wpc95 trim to fit over glass and tub? I struggled so much to get it on.

CV trim is what I am going to try next if I can find some in stock. The trim for CV should be the perfect size to go over glass and tub.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Stebel:

You could get the wpc95 trim to fit over glass and tub? I struggled so much to get it on.
    CV trim is what I am going to try next if I can find some in stock. The trim for CV should be the perfect size to go over glass and tub.

Terry lists it for use on all the "tub" style games.

Ive only bought it once and it fit on my MM a few years ago.

But I used the original translite and glass.

I wonder if something changed?

Original translite glass is 1/8" thick and the tub edge is around 1/16" thick

3/16" trim should be a snug fit.

CPR glass is slightly thicker than regular translite glass.

I agree that it would fit very snug if you can get it on at all.

Might have to sand the flange a tiny bit thinner to get it to fit right?

7/32" trim might be perfect.

Chris Hutchens does a lot of these games.

I wonder what his solution is?

#55 1 year ago

Terry lists it for use on all the "tub" style games.
    Ive only bought it once and it fit on my MM a few years ago.
    But I used the original translite and glass.
    I wonder if something changed?
    Original translite glass is 1/8" thick and the tub edge is around 1/16" thick
    3/16" trim should be a snug fit.
    CPR glass is slightly thicker than regular translite glass.
    I agree that it would fit very snug if you can get it on at all.
    Might have to sand the flange a tiny bit thinner to get it to fit right?
    7/32" trim might be perfect.
    Chris Hutchens does a lot of these games.
    I wonder what his solution is?

Stu with CPR reached out and said he uses the original trim but you have to heat it with a heat gun to make the trim more flexible.

My buddy tried that but it didn’t work for him.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Stu with CPR reached out and said he uses the original trim but you have to heat it with a heat gun to make the trim more flexible.
    My buddy tried that but it didn’t work for him.

Im thinking the trim is 1/32" too narrow with the CPR glass

The black plastic is super aggressive stuff and 1/32" is a lot.

However, sanding down the tub's flange 1/32" thinner should be straight forward and no one would notice it.

5 months later
    #57 9 months ago

Im thinking the trim is 1/32" too narrow with the CPR glass
    The black plastic is super aggressive stuff and 1/32" is a lot.
    However, sanding down the tub's flange 1/32" thinner should be straight forward and no one would notice it.

This^^
    I had long email conversations with Thomas about 1.5 years ago. It comes down to CPR using the Metric system. Their back glasses are 4mm which converts to 5/32”. Original backglasses are 1/8” or 3/16”. That 1/32” is a HUGE difference. CPR is adamant 1/8” trim will fit. It will NOT as we know. I got so pissed I just sent my TAF back. I have no choice but to keep the HGOT since the original is so bad.
    THANK YOU pinballinreno for experimenting and finding out what really works. This actually needs to be stickied somehow for easy reference.

#58 9 months ago

All they have to do is include the correct trim in the package. Would stop all complaints and cost them cents.

#59 9 months ago
    Quoted from punkin:

All they have to do is include the correct trim in the package. Would stop all complaints and cost them cents.

Yeah, you would think so, and it would be a great business practise, but sadly no.

#60 9 months ago

I am hunting for a set of CV trim, I think that will be what’s needed for Wpc95 glass with tub.

Everywhere is sold out.

3 months later
    #61 5 months ago

Not to beat this horse to death after this long but the system 11 trim does fit the glass really snugly and well....but when fully installed it leaves giant gaps on the sides that are unacceptable. How is that solved, this glass is physically smaller than my factory translite at least side to side. How do you shim up the sides or stretch it so it doesn't look like dog shit? (my glass also arrived with a hole in the backing so it has to go back anyway I guess, but that is not this issue)

PXL_20231004_223858949 (resized).jpgPXL_20231004_223858949 (resized).jpgPXL_20231004_223910093 (resized).jpgPXL_20231004_223910093 (resized).jpg
    #62 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Not to beat this horse to death after this long but the system 11 trim does fit the glass really snugly and well....but when fully installed it leaves giant gaps on the sides that are unacceptable. How is that solved, this glass is physically smaller than my factory translite at least side to side. How do you shim up the sides or stretch it so it doesn't look like dog shit? (my glass also arrived with a hole in the backing so it has to go back anyway I guess, but that is not this issue)
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Sounds like the glass is a bit narrow or the cabinet is slightly wide.

It SHOULD be exactly the same width as a regular translite glass.

It also looks like the printed edge is WAY narrower then normal. It should be 1/4" from the edge or less for the trim to cover it.

The wide system 11 trim should cover it. Did they send you the right trim? I posted links to what I used.

If the new glass is still bad, you might have to apply electrical tape to the inside edge to hide the artwork gap.

#63 5 months ago

I think PBL sent me the right trim, CPR sent me no trim and has just replied asking for more pictures, so it remains to be seen how this goes. I got 2 things yesterday, a new PF and this, and both are fucked up, which makes me not so super excited. lol

Sounds like the glass is a bit narrow or the cabinet is slightly wide.
    It SHOULD be exactly the same width as a regular translite glass.
    It also looks like the printed edge is WAY narrower then normal. It should be 1/4" from the edge or less for the trim to cover it.
    The wide system 11 trim should cover it. Did they send you the right trim? I posted links to what I used.
    If the new glass is still bad, you might have to apply electrical tape to the inside edge to hide the artwork gap.

#64 5 months ago

CPR is just taking it back, says their glass won't work in my cabinet. I tried it in 3 cabinets, the results were the same and the pinhole up by cousin it didn't change between machines either...so I guess I can't swap my stuff for CPR glass now, which sucks.

#65 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

CPR is just taking it back, says their glass won't work in my cabinet. I tried it in 3 cabinets, the results were the same and the pinhole up by cousin it didn't change between machines either...so I guess I can't swap my stuff for CPR glass now, which sucks.

So they're saying their glass will work in all other games, just not yours?

WTF!

#66 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Thats just silly...

#67 5 months ago

Funny to see this thread revived. I found it when searching about trim fitting as I just installed a CPR bg in my Meteor. I was able to use all the original trim pieces. It took some finagling to get it in the backbox initially. It fits now, but is very snug and a bit of a struggle every time it’s going in and out. I did unfortunately cause some art damage to the bottom of the bg when putting that trim piece on. Luckily it’s hidden behind the trim piece.

#68 5 months ago

maybe this has something to do with glass manufactured in the 60's and 70's using imperial sizing thickness and now glass is sold in metric sizing

#69 5 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

maybe this has something to do with glass manufactured in the 60's and 70's using imperial sizing thickness and now glass is sold in metric sizing

Possibly, but printing on 1/8" translite glass and shipping it is VERY problematic.

The thicker glass solves a LOT of problems.

I have several CPR translite to backglass conversions. They all worked out VERY well with the system 11 trim from PBL

2 months later
    #70 3 months ago

I'm replacing the trim on a Harlem and CPR said to use a 3/16 lift channel. Ordered if from Pinball life and its not even close to fitting properly- way too big. Anyone have a suggestion where i can get the right size trim to fit ? I really don't want to use a plastic system 11 lift channel.

#71 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I'm replacing the trim on a Harlem and CPR said to use a 3/16 lift channel. Ordered if from Pinball life and its not even close to fitting properly- way too big. Anyone have a suggestion where i can get the right size trim to fit ? I really don't want to use a plastic system 11 lift channel.

Fwiw i just got a repro firepower backglass from them. System 6. Both the plastic top and sides and metal bottom trim were all way too big..I just used 2-3 layers of friction tape. It's not on there super tight, but then again I don't really need it to be. I'm not planning to hold it upside down by the metal lift channel.

2 weeks later
    #72 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Fwiw i just got a repro firepower backglass from them. System 6. Both the plastic top and sides and metal bottom trim were all way too big..I just used 2-3 layers of friction tape. It's not on there super tight, but then again I don't really need it to be. I'm not planning to hold it upside down by the metal lift channel.

PM or email me me if you need plastic edge trim that actually fits your reproduction backglass perfectly.

Plastic Edge Trim U-Channel 3-pc. Sets Custom Designed for CPR Style 4mm Thick Reproduction Backglasses
    Manufactured from same black PVC material as originals on brand-new custom dies.
    Same excellent quality as my 1/8" & 3/16" plastic edge trim.
    3-pc. sets include (1) 28.5” piece & (2) 24.5” pieces

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#73 3 months ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

PM or email me me if you need plastic edge trim that actually fits your reproduction backglass perfectly.
    Plastic Edge Trim U-Channel 3-pc. Sets Custom Designed for CPR Style 4mm Thick Reproduction Backglasses
    Manufactured from same black PVC material as originals on brand-new custom dies.
    Same excellent quality as my 1/8" & 3/16" plastic edge trim.
    3-pc. sets include (1) 28.5” piece & (2) 24.5” pieces
    [quoted image]

Thanks for making these!

Your stainless trim for my Koos reproduction Farfalla fit perfectly.

#74 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I used this lift channel from Marco recently on my Lost World. Worked great.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-6242-71

#75 3 months ago

Yes you can use the 3/16" metal lift channels with the 4mm backglasses with some extra tape for the bottom edge of the backglass but until now there was no plastic trim that fit the top & side edges very well.
    INDIVIDUAL PINBALL PARTS FLYER 2024 (resized).jpgINDIVIDUAL PINBALL PARTS FLYER 2024 (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-backglass-trim/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.