(Topic ID: 285358)

CPR Backglass Trim

By pinballinreno

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

INDIVIDUAL PINBALL PARTS FLYER 2024 (resized).jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    PXL_20231004_223858949 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231004_223910093 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20210118_170909 (resized).jpg
    20210118_170857 (resized).jpg
    20210118_170850 (resized).jpg
    20210108_101409 (resized).jpg
    20210107_152730 (resized).jpg
    20210107_152752 (resized).jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed before, but without clear resolution.

CPR does not offer a trim kit to cover the 3/8" un-painted edges of the reproduction backglasses that they sell.

The backglasses are beautiful ! Really nice work, but edge treatment is desperately needed.

I have numerous sets of translite trim for standard translite glass.

I have never had trouble installling trim and a translite.

None of the standard trims fit correctly on this glass. It seems too thick for standard edge trim.

People have successfully installed top trim and lift channels, but always lay off the side trim and consider it impossible.

I have ordered system 11 trim from pinball life and it may be exactly what is needed even if a little friction tape is needed to secure it.

I also ordered wpc-95 trim.

Ill know more when it arrives.

The problem is the rib/ridge inside of standard trims to allow for a translite.

The rib/ridge is not needed in this application.

I have 3 of these backglasses that will be installed at some point.

What is the correct trim to install that will cover the edges and eliminate the light bleed that ensues?
    20210107_152730 (resized).jpg20210107_152730 (resized).jpg20210107_152752 (resized).jpg20210107_152752 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Whoa, that is a very wide gap...I don't think there is any trim that's going to cover that gap. Trim normally only sticks out from the edge a small fraction of an inch. Maybe 1/8" at most?

The different types of trim are to accommodate the thickness of the glass, as well as the length of each edge of the glass.

Here is what is listed for funhouse. Marco shows all the measurements for the individual pieces of trim:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=funhouse+trim

And since many of those are out of stock, here's what PBL has:

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=backglass%20trim

#3 3 years ago

WTF with that gap? I bought a glass from them a few years ago and it was printed all the way to the edge as expected and normal. That doesn’t look right.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

WTF with that gap? I bought a glass from them a few years ago and it was printed all the way to the edge as expected and normal. That doesn’t look right.

I just received this as the current CPR funhouse glass. $269.00

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/funhouse-3/

Some kind of edge trim might cover it, but its a lot of unpainted edge I agree, I was a bit surprised by it.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Whoa, that is a very wide gap...I don't think there is any trim that's going to cover that gap. Trim normally only sticks out from the edge a small fraction of an inch. Maybe 1/8" at most?
    The different types of trim are to accommodate the thickness of the glass, as well as the length of each edge of the glass.
    Here is what is listed for funhouse. Marco shows all the measurements for the individual pieces of trim:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=funhouse+trim
    And since many of those are out of stock, here's what PBL has:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=backglass%20trim

I have 4 different types of trim, none of them fit correctly and splay out a lot due to the thickness of the glass.

Its disappointing to see the huge area of inpainted glass at the edges.

I dont know it this is correct for CPR glass or I have part of a bad run?

So, Im taking it to pinside for solutions.

I also ordered a IJ and a TAF glass for future projects.

I hope that there is a solution as this glass is quite expensive.

#6 3 years ago

There's definitely something wrong there! Have you contacted CPR and supplied those same photos?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

There's definitely something wrong there! Have you contacted CPR and supplied those same photos?

yes, waiting for a response.

#8 3 years ago

Please report back once you've heard from them.

#9 3 years ago

meanwhile I ordered these trims from pinball life:

https://www.pinballlife.com/backglass-side-trim-for-williams-system-11.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/backglass-top-trim-williamsbally-wpc-95.html

The pictures show that there is no ridge inside to adversely affect installation like the ones I already have.

But one never knows what they will get these days

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Please report back once you've heard from them.

will do.

#11 3 years ago

Following. I just ordered new glass for my Indiana Jones and Twilight Zone. Should be here next week. I also have a new trim kit as well for the Indy. I hope it fits?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

Following. I just ordered new glass for my Indiana Jones and Twilight Zone. Should be here next week. I also have a new trim kit as well for the Indy. I hope it fits?

If the trim has a rib or ridge inside it wont fit.

I have lots of trim and none of what I have fits at all.

Marco is great as they have actual side views of the trim.

WPC-95 trim looks good, I ordered some. as well as some system 11 trim.

I also ordered a 1/8" metal lift channel as it had no internal ridge.

#13 3 years ago

I also have friction tape to help any trim that fits too loose.

#14 3 years ago

Keep us posted if you find something that works. I will do the same.

#15 3 years ago

I know it may not be easy. Can you give us a picture with glass installed with only the lift trim? Full shot.
    That is a big gap.
    I have 3 of these as well and used the system 11 pbl.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I know it may not be easy. Can you give us a picture with glass installed with only the lift trim? Full shot.
    That is a big gap.
    I have 3 of these as well and used the system 11 pbl.

I ordered that as well as another one.

They will be here in a couple days.

Ill post the result for others to see.

Here is a full picture
    20210108_101409 (resized).jpg20210108_101409 (resized).jpg
    Comet 2smd sunlight frosted and regular 455 blinkers.

Should look great with the right trim!

1 week later
    #17 3 years ago

My stainless trim arrived for the lift trim from Marco.
    I think Im going to use it. Its way better for supporting the heavy glass, the edge doesnt bend as much under weight.

Still waiting for the system 11 trim from pinball life.

#18 3 years ago

I got the system 11 trim today.

Its the perfect fit!

So, its definitive.

Get the system 11 trim.

It has no ribs going down the inside.

Its the perfect size.

No hammering, no stress.

It covers the clear edge perfectly.

20210118_170850 (resized).jpg20210118_170850 (resized).jpg20210118_170857 (resized).jpg20210118_170857 (resized).jpg20210118_170909 (resized).jpg20210118_170909 (resized).jpg
    #19 3 years ago

The CPR backglass is way thicker than regular 1/8" translite glass.

This is why regular "ribbed" edge trim doesnt fit right.

But the glass is slightly thinner than 3/16" backglass.

So, the system 11 trim fits perfectly but not super snug, yet it stays on ok.

I added 2" long strips of friction tape to the center and ends of the lift channel.

Its super snug and perfect.

The sides and top trim could also use some friction tape but its just not necessary.

The tape slightly distorts the edge trim. However it makes it super snug.

This does not happen to the lift channel when tape is added.

Im leaving the tape off the sides and top trim for now unless its a problem down the road.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=System%2011%20trim

#20 3 years ago

Thanks, this will definitely help some folks

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

Thanks, this will definitely help some folks

The CPR glass is amazing.

Im just surprised that they dont offer the trim for it when you order it.

People shouldnt have to experiment, it should be definitive.

Now it is.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

The CPR glass is amazing.
    Im just surprised that they dont offer the trim for it when you order it.
    People shouldnt have to experiment, it should be definitive.
    Now it is.

This is great. Thanks for sharing. My CPR order just got delivered to my front step today and can’t wait to see how it looks. FH and AFM in the box

#24 3 years ago

I have the AFM,WH20, and TZ They are beautiful. You will love the AFM.

Quoted from Completist:

This is great. Thanks for sharing. My CPR order just got delivered to my front step today and can’t wait to see how it looks. FH and AFM in the box

#25 3 years ago

Did CPR respond to explain why they don't print all the way to the edge of the glass? Does this also mean that the backglass/translight image is reduced in size slightly, or just has the two edges trimmed when compared to the original?

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Did CPR respond to explain why they don't print all the way to the edge of the glass? Does this also mean that the backglass/translight image is reduced in size slightly, or just has the two edges trimmed when compared to the original?

CPR Thomas, responded to my email and said that its normal and that the trim covers it, which is correct..

The image is reduced slightly. It doesnt go all the way to the edges like the translite did,

I bought 2 more backglasses, but havent looked at them yet to compare more or less gap.

I think others have stated that there is a 1/4" or more clear edge that has to be covered with trim.

There are registration marks on the clear areas.

Can anyone else, who might have purchased a glass recently confirm this?

Either way, the PBL system 11 trim is perfect.

#27 3 years ago

Very helpful thread. Thank you for posting this.

#28 3 years ago

CPR Thomas, responded to my email and said that its normal and that the trim covers it, which is correct..
    The image is reduced slightly. It doesnt go all the way to the edges like the translite did,
    I bought 2 more backglasses, but havent looked at them yet to compare more or less gap.
    I think others have stated that there is a 1/4" or more clear edge that has to be covered with trim.
    There are registration marks on the clear areas.
    Can anyone else, who might have purchased a glass recently confirm this?
    Either way, the PBL system 11 trim is perfect.

Thanks for the detailed response. It seems like a strange decision initially to use thicker glass, reduce the image size and leave a narrow strip. Especially without providing advice to customers prior to purchase of the type of trim required, or just supplying a trim set with each purchase. Most people, including myself would assume the glass would be ready to install. It's great these glasses are available, just frustrating this information isn't readily available prior to purchase.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Thanks for the detailed response. It seems like a strange decision initially to use thicker glass, reduce the image size and leave a narrow strip. Especially without providing advice to customers prior to purchase of the type of trim required, or just supplying a trim set with each purchase. Most people, including myself would assume the glass would be ready to install. It's great these glasses are available, just frustrating this information isn't readily available prior to purchase.

I have to agree with a lot of this.

However Im actually very pleased that the backglass is thicker and a LOT more durable than standard 1/8" translite glass.

I think they made the absolute right decision on this.

It does pose a trim problem, as there are a ton of choices for very specialized purposes, but just use the system 11 trim.

Its perfect.

3 months later
    #30 2 years ago

Can still confirm System 11 trim from PBL fit like a glove perfectly on my TZ backglass from CPR.
    Just a little pressure to install, tight fit, covered all edges of the glass.

Amazing.

#31 2 years ago

Same deal on my EATPM mirrored cpr glass. I feel like they're cutting the glass too wide. Mine is so wide there are not adequate margins for any side trim. Stuck with the light bleed.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Same deal on my EATPM mirrored cpr glass. I feel like they're cutting the glass too wide. Mine is so wide there are not adequate margins for any side trim. Stuck with the light bleed.

Idea: what about blacking the edge with black electrical tape?

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Idea: what about blacking the edge with black electrical tape?

I would just tape off the edge and spray it with a little krylon if its that tight.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

Can still confirm System 11 trim from PBL fit like a glove perfectly on my TZ backglass from CPR.
    Just a little pressure to install, tight fit, covered all edges of the glass.
    Amazing.

I like to put three 2" pieces of friction tape on the lift channel.

One in the center and one near each end.

It makes the lift channel rock solid, although I did have to smack it on with a wooden mallet.

1 month later
    #35 2 years ago

ugh-i wish i found this previously-i own 3 CPR backglasses-i used the existing translite trim and really struggled to get it on but i did. White water, scared stiff and funhouse-recently i went to do some work and could not get the funhouse out of the channel-probably because the trim is stuck-eventually, after straining my back and almost losing my mind, i got it out-so i bought new trim for a standard funhouse translite-what a mistake-broke two pieces trying to install it and now its stuck in the channel again-ordered the system 11 and hopefully that works assuming i can get the glass out again-what a disaster-so weird to not have any issues with any games other than funhouse

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from dummynamedrudy:

ugh-i wish i found this previously-i own 3 CPR backglasses-i used the existing translite trim and really struggled to get it on but i did. White water, scared stiff and funhouse-recently i went to do some work and could not get the funhouse out of the channel-probably because the trim is stuck-eventually, after straining my back and almost losing my mind, i got it out-so i bought new trim for a standard funhouse translite-what a mistake-broke two pieces trying to install it and now its stuck in the channel again-ordered the system 11 and hopefully that works assuming i can get the glass out again-what a disaster-so weird to not have any issues with any games other than funhouse

Ive "been there and done that".

Its what started me on this journey.

I have 4 CPR backglasses and couldnt get the first one mounted at all, lol. Near impossible.

The links above take you to the correct trim.

The pinball life system 11 lift channel and trim fits perfectly.

#37 2 years ago

the top and side channel sys11 trim is 100% perfect for the CPR glass

the bottom is still a bit iffy - but worthy.

You'll basically split your wpc trim trying to force it on. Buy a replacement wpc set and sys11 set at the same time to undo your attempt

I do find the pinball life replacement wpc trim a bit less tight on the translite vs the original stuff I had, and unfortunately it's cut short to not overlap. I liked the longer stuff you could cut to size and notch to fit in the corners.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

the top and side channel sys11 trim is 100% perfect for the CPR glass
    the bottom is still a bit iffy - but worthy.
    You'll basically split your wpc trim trying to force it on. Buy a replacement wpc set and sys11 set at the same time to undo your attempt
    I do find the pinball life replacement wpc trim a bit less tight on the translite vs the original stuff I had, and unfortunately it's cut short to not overlap. I liked the longer stuff you could cut to size and notch to fit in the corners.

Yeah, the lift channel needs the friction tape.

After applying three 2" pieces of tape its rock solid.

#39 2 years ago

FYI this just came back from Thomas at CPR. I let him know that they should do a better job of alerting their customers. I went to the installation section and did not see anything regarding trim. Having said all that-their back glasses are really beautiful. Finally, im assuming the system 11 trims suggested in this post are the 1/8 he is referring to

Your using the wrong trim.

We've got all the Marco trims here, just for testing and checking. The
    1/8" trim and liftbar fit on all our panels fine.

Thanks

CPR

thomas

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from dummynamedrudy:

FYI this just came back from Thomas at CPR. I let him know that they should do a better job of alerting their customers. I went to the installation section and did not see anything regarding trim. Having said all that-their back glasses are really beautiful. Finally, im assuming the system 11 trims suggested in this post are the 1/8 he is referring to
    Your using the wrong trim.
    We've got all the Marco trims here, just for testing and checking. The
    1/8" trim and liftbar fit on all our panels fine.
    Thanks
    CPR
    thomas

I ordered all of the trims from marco and pinball life during my investigative tests.

CPR backglass is thicker than the regular 1/8" translite glass.

Its in between the regular 1/8" and the 3/16" glass.

This is why the 1/8" trim fits too tight.

It also has to be without ribs or flanges.

Just use the system 11 trim from pinball life and you are good to go.

1 year later
    #41 1 year ago

This is a very helpful thread as I am thinking of getting the CPR backglasses for my TAF, STTNG and IJ. Sounds like the system 11 trim is the perfect fit for the sides and top. I think someone mentioned using a metal lift channel, but other post don't mention getting new lift channel trim. Does the original lift trim work? Thanks for the help.

#42 1 year ago

I used a full sys 11 kit including trim on my JD.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from TimBoch:

This is a very helpful thread as I am thinking of getting the CPR backglasses for my TAF, STTNG and IJ. Sounds like the system 11 trim is the perfect fit for the sides and top. I think someone mentioned using a metal lift channel, but other post don't mention getting new lift channel trim. Does the original lift trim work? Thanks for the help.

Make sure to read the other CPR backglass thread before ordering. Buyer beware.

#44 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-warranty-in-australia-

Don't send the bastards one cent.

Arrives like this and no warranty.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-warranty-in-australia-
    Don't send the bastards one cent.
    Arrives like this and no warranty.
    [quoted image]

Sorry to see that.

Its somewhat known that digital printing on glass is still in its infancy.

Printing on glass without a bonding primer is crazy.

I just dont think that there is a good primer thats perfectly clear for glass.

Even the primer for plastic on cars dries to a milky white color before painting.

So, for the moment, digital prints on glass will probably fail as we are seeing now.

#46 1 year ago

Sure, but how can you keep charging people money for a failed process? And then blame the country they live in for the failure?

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

And then blame the country they live in for the failure?

Charging people for experimental procedures is a part of pinball sadly.

Put a 30 day warranty and be done with it (Stern).

Blaming a county? Thats just stupid...

It would be better if CPR would allow someone in AU to print them locally.

Maybe that could be made to happen? It would solve so many problems.

#48 1 year ago

The pic i posted was from one someone from the United States. Maybe they could get someone there to do it properly too.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

The pic i posted was from one someone from the United States. Maybe they could get someone there to do it properly too.

Lol, yeah one can only hope.

#50 1 year ago

Charging people for experimental procedures is a part of pinball sadly.
    Put a 30 day warranty and be done with it (Stern).
    Blaming a county? Thats just stupid...
    It would be better if CPR would allow someone in AU to print them locally.
    Maybe that could be made to happen? It would solve so many problems.

I have all the printers to do it, can't see that happening

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-backglass-trim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.