Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tf.gif
    Barb_Gallery-1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

So just saw this - CPR has announced a “custom shop” to retheme any pin. They can print on your own playfield, or they can make you a new one if they have the CAD file.

Pretty crazy!

https://classicplayfields.com/the-custom-shop/

“ This is the spot! CPR is your 1-Stop Custom Shop for Re-Theming. We can help with everything from printing your Custom Plastics, Backglasses, Playfields, and even Cabinet Decals. Use your own Artwork or let us work with you to develop it. Re-Theme your pinball machine into any theme you want.

We do not make “overlays” for our Playfields. All of CPR’s Custom Re-Theme Playfields are printed directly onto a wood playfield. You can either supply us with your used properly prepared for our printing playfield or, if we have the CAD File for your title, we can make you a completely new playfield. Are your existing playfield insert colors not matching your new artwork – no problem, you can change them out or have us do it for you. Every project is different and every project is fully custom!

Your new Custom Re-Theme project deserves a Real Backglass that we will make for you, and you can even have Real Mirroring added to it at no additional charge. As an added bonus we include 2 Backglasses with your purchase.

We also provide new Plastics that are Printed & Laser-Cut PETg, the same process you have come to expect from CPR. As an added bonus we include 2 sets of your new plastics set with your purchase. With the plastics you can fill up the standard 24” x 24” sheet with “extras” if you like, including common break plastics, custom KeyFobs, etc.

Need a Topper for your new Re-Theme, no problem, we do that too. All Toppers are Printed & Laser-Cut from 3/16” Acrylic and include mounting holes.

As an added bonus we can also provide you with Custom Cabinet Decals, Apron Decals, Spinner Decals, Target Decals, etc….all from your custom Re-Theme artwork, or you can have us develop the artwork for you.”

#2 4 years ago

I wondered how long it would take a company to cater to one offs. I look forward to hearing this at some point!

#3 4 years ago

The future is here.

#4 4 years ago

Now I can make Gumby.

#5 4 years ago

I wonder how they would feel about re-printing the original art, rather than new custom art?
    Lots of cool, low production games likely won't be reproduced based on regular demand.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I wonder how they would feel about re-printing the original art, rather than new custom art?
    Lots of cool, low production games likely won't be reproduced based on regular demand.

I wondered the same thing. I also wonder what the “playfield properly prepped” means

#7 4 years ago

Way to go CPR

#8 4 years ago

I really want to know more about this.
    1. Will they JUST cut a playfield if you're homebrew still figuring out your layout?
    2. I'm assuming if your homebrew is done, they'll print / install inserts too
    3. If you ARE just doing a re-theme, what are the limitations on art. They show examples of the flash, harley, sons of anarchy. Is there some loophole where if you're only doing a one-off it doesn't need licensing?

#9 4 years ago

I doubt they’d legally be able to make licensed content into a playfield and plastics. Probably only original art and graphics

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I doubt they’d legally be able to make licensed content into a playfield and plastics. Probably only original art and graphics

I thought that too, but looking at the examples on their website: Flash & Arrow, Sons of Anarchy & Barbarella are shown, and I would think they would be licensed. I guess if the person who does the commission supplies their own drawn art to make this for personal use only that would allow an exception to licensed content.

#11 4 years ago

This is awesome! Way to go CPR!

#12 4 years ago

Way cool! I like that you can get stuff individually or as a package price, depending on your needs. I don't know what people are typically spending on re-themes but price doesn't seem too bad if you don't have local access to do these prints. Mirrored backglass is awesome!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

I thought that too, but looking at the examples on their website: Flash & Arrow, Sons of Anarchy & Barbarella are shown, and I would think they would be licensed. I guess if the person who does the commission supplies their own drawn art to make this for personal use only that would allow an exception to licensed content.

Pretty sure long as you don’t plan on creating /selling them it does not matter if it has licensed content. Only when your making commercial gain out of selling licensed content does the IP holder get unhappy.

#16 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #17 4 years ago

How about doing the digital "one off" PF from existing files first that we were told were coming in 2019? Titles they have the artwork but haven't been run in awhile? FG, Centaur, Fathom etc.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Way cool! I like that you can get stuff individually or as a package price, depending on your needs. I don't know what people are typically spending on re-themes but price doesn't seem too bad if you don't have local access to do these prints. Mirrored backglass is awesome!

Where did you get pricing info?

#19 4 years ago

Sweet. Can I get a Lost Vegas?

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Where did you get pricing info?

It's on their page: https://classicplayfields.com/purchase/

$2700 for the lowest package with a playfield.

#21 4 years ago

Someone should re-theme World Poker Tour into a good World Poker Tour.

#22 4 years ago

Holy crap this is amazing!

#23 4 years ago

Looks like I will finally be building my Ronnie James Dio pinball machine!!!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's on their page: https://classicplayfields.com/purchase/
    $2700 for the lowest package with a playfield.

Not a bad price.

Of course, their website, should have thought of that.

#25 4 years ago

Custom Re-Theme TRILOGY Option 1

Includes the following:

2 Complete Sets of Plastics Printed on PETg & Laser-Cut from Customer’s Supplied Artwork
    2 Backglasses Printed on Tempered Glass with or without Mirroring from Customer’s Supplied Artwork
    1 Prep & Printing on “Customer Supplied Playfield that has been Hand Sanded Flat and All Graphics Removed, Inserts Replaced, and Wood Repaired”. CPR Printed from Customer’s Supplied Artwork and Clear-Coated.
    $2700

Custom Re-Theme TRILOGY Option 2

Includes the following

2 Complete Sets of Plastics Printed on PETg & Laser-Cut from Customer’s Supplied Artwork
    2 Backglasses Printed on Tempered Glass with or without Mirroring from Customer’s Supplied Artwork
    1 Prep & Printing on a New CPR CNC Playfield from pre-existing CPR CAD File, with New Inserts, Drum Sanded, Printed, Clear-Coated. CPR Printed from Customer’s Supplied Artwork and Clear-Coated.
    $3000

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Looks like I will finally be building my Ronnie James Dio pinball machine!!!

build 2 please!

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Not a bad price.
    Of course, their website, should have thought of that.

It's buried like 3 different links deep, I don't think many people saw it.

I think it's a little expensive to be honest, but if that's the price they need to charge then it is what it is. I don't think it's something I could ever use for my homebrew games at that price unfortunately.

#28 4 years ago

I am *SO* doing this....soon. I've got a FG I'm hardtopping now with full cabinet respray, then a Fathom scratchbuild, but then I will be doing this, no doubt!!

Centaur layout retheme, with modified Centaur rules and full hifi audio running on a P-ROC system.....fulfills that lifelong dream since I was a kid growing in the 70s to build my own pinball machine!!

#29 4 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Jacks Open that I was thinking about retheming with Robert Crumb artwork, so I am following this with great interest. Since I saw that most of the examples were of Bally Solid State, I emailed [email protected] and got a reply from Stu, the CPR Art Director.

Very helpful as he stated they could do Cabinet Decals for any manufacturer's pinball machine. They need the proper cabinet measurements to do so. Gottlieb Wedgeheads are still in play!

He also explained that since I would provide the custom artwork, I would be responsible for any licensing. So that answers questions above about handmade artwork versus rights to others IP.

I am very hopeful about this effort and applaud CPR for doing this. Thanks!

#30 4 years ago

Hah! What happened to reprinting playfields they've already done? I'll pay $800 to retheme my Bally Star Trek into a Bally Star Trek.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

How about doing the digital "one off" PF from existing files first that we were told were coming in 2019? Titles they have the artwork but haven't been run in awhile? FG, Centaur, Fathom etc.

Curious on this. My Bally ST playfield is wasted. Have been running into road blocks to find a replacement. If I could sand and prep it, I wonder what it would cost to have them screen and clear it. Hmmm.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

Hah! What happened to reprinting playfields they've already done? I'll pay $800 to retheme my Bally Star Trek into a Bally Star Trek.

I surely hope it wouldn't cost that much to print on your playfield.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I surely hope it wouldn't cost that much to print on your playfield.

Me either but clearly they've ditched their stated goal of saving games in lieu of simply turning a profit by destroying them. $2700 to destroy a game by retheme versus printing playfields they already have the artwork for... They can't even deliver products to their customers who have already paid for stuff, who is going to give them that kind of money? Maybe I can get a Predator theme?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Someone should re-theme World Poker Tour into a good World Poker Tour.

Did someone say my name? My thread has been inactive for a long time, but I still want to do it, and have been drawing other things in vector, improving my skills, learning a bit of python....but mere survival has been taking precedence over flippant hobbies...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whenever-its-done-voltron-a-wpt-retheme

CPR's prices are... frankly...I don't know how long it would be before I could afford it.

Keep in mind there are a LOT of costs hidden here that they are not fully disclosing in their verbiage.

Full size playfield scan on a Cruze? Tack on another 400.
    Printing out full size art so they can color match? Going to guess that's going to be another 400.
    Shipping all this crap to them? Sure, let's go ahead and guess another 400, unless you want to risk your playfield with no insurance.

IT'S NOT 2700. It's more like 4000.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Full size playfield scan on a Cruze? Tack on another 400.
    Printing out full size art so they can color match? Going to guess that's going to be another 400.
    Shipping all this crap to them? Sure, let's go ahead and guess another 400

LOL.....
    Cruse Scan $ 90.00
    Full Size Color Proof $35
    Shipping Playfield to CPR $ 75

Where the hell do get your numbers from!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cherries_Jubilee:

LOL.....
    Cruse Scan $ 90.00
    Full Size Color Proof $35
    Shipping Playfield to CPR $ 75
    Where the hell do get your numbers from!

The crack I'm smoking.....or the numbers I was told last time I looked into it. Like 3 years ago. I've never..ever...seen access to a cruze scanner for 90 bucks. I'm willing to admit being wrong, but still....it's more than what they're stating. Also, I was assuming for some reason they needed scans of both sides, but I'm not going to take shit for just being cautious with estimating how much something will ultimately cost. Anyone that's ever done anything themselves knows you estimate high, and if it comes in less, THEN you celebrate..lol. If it's just the top, looks like current prices around me are about 130.

"signed & dated full-size color proof print of each project" <---You think this is 35 bucks? Plastics, backglass, full cabinet art, and playfield.... at full size and in color...35 bucks? Okay. YOU'RE the one smoking crack there. I don't know how much this would be from somewhere like Kinkos or whatever, but I'm goddamn sure it's more than 35 bucks for stuff the size of playfield/cabinet when they're still charging people 2 bucks a page just to send 250k of data for a fax..lol.

Shipping.... to and from. I'd believe 75 one way. So...75 to them, and then I'm going to hazard a guess it's more for it to be shipped back if you have stuff like a backglass or two, and cabinet decals... all that stuff ain't going in the same package. So...minimum that's 150.

We're still talking like another 350+ of cost that's not accounted for....not to mention however much their "playfield architecture" costs, which they don't say either.

#37 4 years ago

The market for pinball machines is small. The market for custom/one off pinball machines has to be almost non existent. If you want a custom job and can't do the work yourself you will pay the price. Glad the option is there, provided they deliver as promised.

Find a old machine with all the parts and re-theme it and you have a new, one of a kind, machine for less than a new Stern pro. (maybe much less).

#38 4 years ago

Would Bobby Orr be able to don his proper Bruins gear with this custom shop remake?

#39 4 years ago

Have they published details on the format / specifics of the art files needed for printing? Specifics / restrictions on the colors capable by their printer?

I’ve been slowly plodding towards a retheme, but this new offering will kick into high gear.

#40 4 years ago

The Bobby Orr retheme was already done and it was awesome. I'm pretty sure somebody on pinside did it.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from hepgeek:

Have they published details on the format / specifics of the art files needed for printing? Specifics / restrictions on the colors capable by their printer?
    I’ve been slowly plodding towards a retheme, but this new offering will kick into high gear.

Most of that stuff is on the 'process' page, yes.

#42 4 years ago

I think a Bobby Orr retheme would interest a few people.

#43 4 years ago

I found this contact info from about 8 years ago when I needed cruise scans done for CPR work. So it may be out of date. But it wasn't much money to get done.

Tri-Color Grafix
    2605 W. Fourteen Mile Road
    Royal Oak, MI 48073

248-554-9450

#44 4 years ago

I can't remember if it was me or someone else but the target alpha plastics got done at some point for cpr but I couldnt convince for a colour swap for solar city at the time. (Years ago) . Perhaps this will be a way to finally make that happen. I can't be the only one in need....
    I haven't looked in so long, maybe someone else did them since?

#45 4 years ago

Pinball Rescue makes new sets of high quality plastics, decals, etc. They stock both Solar City and Target Alpha plastic sets. You should also look at their apron and coin door decals on their site.

#46 4 years ago

Did you guys see that Barbarella?! That thing is NICE! I think that was one of Stu's.

I don't remember what machine he used. Think I would've left the coin door. But it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!

Barb_Gallery-1 (resized).jpgBarb_Gallery-1 (resized).jpg
    #47 4 years ago
    Quoted from BallyTim:

Did you guys see that Barbarella?! That thing is NICE! I think that was one of Stu's.

I don't remember what machine he used. Think I would've left the coin door. But it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!

Yes, Stu did Barbarella ( originally a Flash ), he also did Flash vs Arrow ( was Dolly Parton ), Sons of Anarchy ( was Harley Davidson ), and his current project is the Heavy Metal ( was Firepower ).....

#48 4 years ago

The idea sounds neat, but CPR's track record of abysmal communications with their customers would give me pause on shelling out $2700+ to them for a highly custom project requiring extensive communication. Did they hire some people? CPR flat out stated in the past that they do not have time to deal with the hundreds of emails they get per day already.

#49 4 years ago

Guys;

The custom shop is something that CPR setup in response to a demand expressed by many people after seeing Stu's custom re-themed games. The costs stated are what we actually believe are fully attainable in most cases. If you are a resourceful pinhead, have all your artwork laid out perfectly and send us a usable good condition PF then you'll pay no more. Now if all you have is a concept in your head and have nothing else, the cost will be a lot more.

Remember if YOU are doing the artwork you decide what you work with. Do you need a Cruze scan, technically no, should you? yes. It has been our experience that the cruze just gives you an accurate scan which saves time as you go. In the end, its the final results that matter, not how you got there. You could, at least in theory use a multiple scans stitched together, you could use a digital camera, you could even use tracing paper if you wanted..... but all of those steps will cost you time aligning and resizing, redrawing etc. So spend your resources either in time or money, again its your choice. There are likely thousands of ways you could get your final art to fit your PF, but for the money stated on the website that is your responsibility. Do you need proof prints from your local printer to check sizing, again technically no, but of course you should, because how else can you be sure everything fits.

So the idea is that we offer a service, its brand new and really other than doing Stu's 4 machines we have never done full projects before. We have done similar partial projects before though. We made the original PFs for Big Juicy Melons, many custom backglasses and did a huge amount of back and forth getting the Joust PFs done. We are learning as we go and whoever needs this kind of service will be learning with us. So you figure your artwork is perfect and need nothing other than print, and clear for your PF, no problem, we'll print it. But we'll also check it as only fellow pinheads can. We won't blindly print it like a local printer would because they don't know any better. And our clear won;t destroy your artwork which often happens with local printers. If the image is off we'll let you know and have you correct it, if its something simple (image size off by 1/32") , we can fix it on the fly at no cost. The idea is you get your project done the way you want, and done correctly.

We have some truly cool capabilities and that's where we going with this. If you have a PF you can print it just the way it is with your custom artwork. Or you could change a few insert colors..... or use larger inserts, swap plain bottom to starburst, you can change the location, number size, or color. W can even make fully custom insert shapes in words or shapes. The sky is the limit.... but higher levels of customization will cost more.

At no time are you likely to get blindsided with a bill you didn't fully know about or expect. I think our custom work is crazy cheap anyway. If you send us a PF for reprint but it needs a bit of work, we aren't going to refuse it, we just contact you and explain what needs to be done and our CNC guy Tanner is the guy tasked with doing it, all you're paying for is his straight time. In any case it'll be your choice and we'll ALWAYS offer any options we can think of and always at the least possible cost. After all, the only way your project ends up in one of the galleries is that it has to get finished.

The Custom shop is sort of aimed at two groups. The first is corporate or deep pockets and for all custom artwork generation you need to deal with Stu, he's not cheap but if he does your art, the outcome is gorgeous. Think of large corporate clients or pinheads with more money than time, that's where Stu takes over. The second group is us pinheads, because we are so self sufficient you won't need much from Stu if anything at all, and the stated prices on the website will apply.

This is very new to us and to you. We have always worked with any pinhead who contacted us and in the past have done custom PFs, glass and plastics for almost everyone that asked. All we are trying to do is give everyone a spot they can go and see what's available and what is possible You don't have to do an entire machine, custom backglasses are so cool. Have the ultimate mancave..... imagine having a framed custom backglass with all your own art on it. Dislike the slings on your favorite game... well change them! The skies the limit.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions, but in the end, click the link and contact Stu so you guys can discuss the possibilities.

Thanks
    Mike

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from CPR:

Guys;
    The custom shop is something that CPR setup in response to a demand expressed by many people after seeing Stu's custom re-themed games. The costs stated are what we actually believe are fully attainable in most cases. If you are a resourceful pinhead, have all your artwork laid out perfectly and send us a usable good condition PF then you'll pay no more. Now if all you have is a concept in your head and have nothing else, the cost will be a lot more.
    Remember if YOU are doing the artwork you decide what you work with. Do you need a Cruze scan, technically no, should you? yes. It has been our experience that the cruze just gives you an accurate scan which saves time as you go. In the end, its the final results that matter, not how you got there. You could, at least in theory use a multiple scans stitched together, you could use a digital camera, you could even use tracing paper if you wanted..... but all of those steps will cost you time aligning and resizing, redrawing etc. So spend your resources either in time or money, again its your choice. There are likely thousands of ways you could get your final art to fit your PF, but for the money stated on the website that is your responsibility. Do you need proof prints from your local printer to check sizing, again technically no, but of course you should, because how else can you be sure everything fits.
    So the idea is that we offer a service, its brand new and really other than doing Stu's 4 machines we have never done full projects before. We have done similar partial projects before though. We made the original PFs for Big Juicy Melons, many custom backglasses and did a huge amount of back and forth getting the Joust PFs done. We are learning as we go and whoever needs this kind of service will be learning with us. So you figure your artwork is perfect and need nothing other than print, and clear for your PF, no problem, we'll print it. But we'll also check it as only fellow pinheads can. We won't blindly print it like a local printer would because they don't know any better. And our clear won;t destroy your artwork which often happens with local printers. If the image is off we'll let you know and have you correct it, if its something simple (image size off by 1/32") , we can fix it on the fly at no cost. The idea is you get your project done the way you want, and done correctly.
    We have some truly cool capabilities and that's where we going with this. If you have a PF you can print it just the way it is with your custom artwork. Or you could change a few insert colors..... or use larger inserts, swap plain bottom to starburst, you can change the location, number size, or color. W can even make fully custom insert shapes in words or shapes. The sky is the limit.... but higher levels of customization will cost more.
    At no time are you likely to get blindsided with a bill you didn't fully know about or expect. I think our custom work is crazy cheap anyway. If you send us a PF for reprint but it needs a bit of work, we aren't going to refuse it, we just contact you and explain what needs to be done and our CNC guy Tanner is the guy tasked with doing it, all you're paying for is his straight time. In any case it'll be your choice and we'll ALWAYS offer any options we can think of and always at the least possible cost. After all, the only way your project ends up in one of the galleries is that it has to get finished.
    The Custom shop is sort of aimed at two groups. The first is corporate or deep pockets and for all custom artwork generation you need to deal with Stu, he's not cheap but if he does your art, the outcome is gorgeous. Think of large corporate clients or pinheads with more money than time, that's where Stu takes over. The second group is us pinheads, because we are so self sufficient you won't need much from Stu if anything at all, and the stated prices on the website will apply.
    This is very new to us and to you. We have always worked with any pinhead who contacted us and in the past have done custom PFs, glass and plastics for almost everyone that asked. All we are trying to do is give everyone a spot they can go and see what's available and what is possible You don't have to do an entire machine, custom backglasses are so cool. Have the ultimate mancave..... imagine having a framed custom backglass with all your own art on it. Dislike the slings on your favorite game... well change them! The skies the limit.
    I hope this answers at least some of your questions, but in the end, click the link and contact Stu so you guys can discuss the possibilities.
    Thanks
    Mike

This is a game changer CPR Mike!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-announces-new-rethemeing-custom-shop?hl=jdissen87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.