New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 132259)

CP Pinball Saturday basement haul extravaganza

By geet84

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by robotron911
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20150704_142553778.jpg
    IMG_20150704_142616891.jpg
    IMG_20150704_142540032.jpg
    IMG_20150704_131517743_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150704_141132778.jpg
    IMG_20150704_120907498.jpg
    IMG_20150704_120021190.jpg
    IMG_20150704_112528342.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Happy July 4th everybody. Spent the last four hours with a good group of the local St. Louis pinheads pulling a collection out of a basement in Edwardsville. 44 games total.
    Everything needs some work. We will be setting up and assessing the games over the next few weeks to see what we have. Chuck would politely ask not to be flooded with messages just yet. Some games will be staying at CP some will be sold. Right now we all just need a good nap after the move.
    Here is the list of games:
    Blackout, pool sharks, secret service,f14, mousin around, party zone, rollergames, sorcerer, big house, RoboCop, cue ball wizard, black hole, blackwater 100, spectrum, Jurassic park, Playboy data east, space station, Bride of Pinbot, centaur, pistol poker, Genesis, millionaire, jokerz, gameshow, vector, EAPTM, tx sector, maverick, judge dredd, lazer wars, time machine, Gilligan's island, Dr dude, taxi, Dracula, pharoah, BK2000, rocky and Bullwinkle, party animal, surfing safari, TAF, superman, spirit, radical, going nuts.

IMG_20150704_112528342.jpg

IMG_20150704_120021190.jpg

IMG_20150704_120907498.jpg

IMG_20150704_141132778.jpg

IMG_20150704_131517743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150704_142540032.jpg

IMG_20150704_142616891.jpg

IMG_20150704_142553778.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Nice find!
    I'd be interested in a few when you are ready.I bought games from Chuck before so we know each other.
    Pm me when you are ready.
    Thanks

#3 5 years ago

Wow what a haul

#4 5 years ago

Any details on how you came upon this stash? Would love to hear that story.

#5 5 years ago

It definitely was an interesting day. I think everyone there had the same reaction to that surprise in the basement. Not exactly what we were expecting. Overall it was a fun pickup.

#6 5 years ago

WOW.. some pretty nice classic titles in there.. a Goin' Nuts?!! 10, TEN units ever made.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Any details on how you came upon this stash? Would love to hear that story.

Long story. The guy in the 3rd picture was my old boss at a Thai restaurant I worked at when I was in college (Wang Gang). His wife and my wife are friends (through the animal shelter we both volunteer at), and she comes over to our house quite a bit. She saw pinball machines in our house and mentioned that they wanted to open a barcade. Ryan (guy in 3rd pic, owner of wang gang) didn't know much, if anything, about pinball machines, but he knows how to run a restaurant, so he always calls me for advice/suggestions/support for pinball machine related stuff.

So, one day he tells me about a guy with a bunch of machines that wants them sold. The guy shared the same financial advisor with him (barcade owner), and everything the financial advisor told him was super vague. I told him to keep me posted, and I would let him know what would be worth buying for his barcade or at least fair prices for everything if the guy wanted to sell them through his barcade and let him take the coin for free while they're for sale.

I thought it was going to be a bunch of EMs, so I didn't think much of it.

Ryan called me after work one day and just started reading off the list."HUO Addams Family. Spirit. Goin Nuts." 45 machines total.

I'll never forget where I was when he called. I was in Lowe's parking lot picking up a set of those carpet sliders for pinball feet. At this point I wasn't even curious about the machines, I was just curious about the person who had all these machines just unknowingly sitting down the street from me. It seemed far from an ordinary "garage sale" collection.

So I somehow managed to keep quiet (I think I blabbed to Brian Bannon for advice actually) and come up with a rough valuation range for each machine on the list (given the spoken condition they were claimed to be in).

The owner was very reclusive and reluctantly decided to meet with me and Ryan one day after work.

I went in the basement with a flashlight on my phone while the owner stood at the top of the stairs. The machines had been wrapped and sitting in the same place since 2007 when he moved from Massachussetts to Edwardsville.

With everything wrapped up, I told him it would be hard to determine what they were actually worth without digging in. He himself hadn't been in the basement in years due to his age/health, so he wasn't even sure what shape everything was in.

I spent maybe 2 minutes down there before coming back upstairs just to talk to the guy and figure out what he wanted to do/how he came upon such a collection.

He received many of the Gottliebs while living on the east coast. He apparently had 250+ machines in his home there at one point (including many other rarities that he sold off like Kingpin, BBB and Krull). His background was in programming and he apparently came into contact with a lot of people still in the industry today. He mentioned Trudeau, Ted Estes, and Keith Johnson, and he mentioned that he had the project log for Game Plan's Loch Ness Monster that including details like the bill of materials of each potential item on the playfield.

He wanted people to play some of the games. He wanted some to be set up somewhere for him to play. He wanted to sell some. He was moving and needed them out of the basement too.

I could tell it was important to him that the games were played by people, so I called Chuck (CPPinball) and let him know about the whole thing.

Lots and lots of phone calls and emails later, Bill (the collector) emailed me at 11 PM on Thursday saying he would accept the deal.

Unfortunately I was out of town for the weekend and couldn't make it! I didn't expect everything to move so fast, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it to help move some myself!

#9 5 years ago

Yes Jake, we appreciated being set up with the deal, but we did curse your name a few times while were dragging all those up the steps. Luckily it wasn't super hot and humid St. Louis summer day.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from geet84:

Yes Jake, we appreciated being set up with the deal, but we did curse your name a few times while were dragging all those up the steps. Luckily it wasn't super hot and humid St. Louis summer day.

Haha sorry Chris! I almost skipped a family vacation to stay back! I'll buy you a pizza and a six pack if Ski!

#11 5 years ago

All good man, we worked hard today, but it was some good male bonding. We will be telling stories about this one for a while.

#12 5 years ago

This shit never happens to me

I always meet the guy who wants $3,500 for his LW3

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jakenjoi:

I thought it was going to be a bunch of EMs, so I didn't think much of it.

Oh gawd forbid! Think of me next time you come across a bunch of EMs.

#14 5 years ago

Nice lot! PM sent!

#15 5 years ago

Wow, what a collection that was eventually going to disenegrate to nothing. I'm glad all parties are happy, and hopefully the basement was mostly dry.

#17 5 years ago

That's awesome - great story! Love to hear stuff like this. Congrats on the find, and for honoring the seller's wishes and making some of them available for others and him to play. Excellent!!

#18 5 years ago

This was something to see heads on shelves and cabinets in rows legs in bundles some machines still set up. Still have some back discomfort from this outing. It was nice meeting the many pin heads of the metro area who came to help move all these machines on the 4th of July. Around 3 hrs to get them all out but many more hours just to go though each machine and see what it will take to get them up and running. As stated above don't badger chuck on these machines. What a sight to see at Cp pinball no isle's to walk in all three buildings just machine after machine.

#19 5 years ago

Yes, I have gotten a few PMs the last few days from people interested in the machines. I was just a helper in the move, I don't own the games, so I can't help buying or selling these. Chuck from CPpinball is the person who actually owns them. He will have to take a few weeks to get everything sorted out. I'm sure when he gets organized he will let people know what is for sale.

#20 5 years ago

Just amazing. I'm with the guy who wants $3500 for a LW3. Only found a few good deals so far, and the rest I've overpaid for.

That said, Chuck has put a lot of hard work into making great pinball machines available for the public, and so it's understandable that he'd get first crack from a conscientious seller.

I'd give my left nut to see that Goin' Nuts. Terrible game, but so rare...

#21 5 years ago

These are the games that I have Left . THESE PRICES ARE NOT SET IN STONE I HAVE NOT EVEN SET THEM UP YET. IF THE ARE NOT NICE , they will be cheaper, IF THEY ARE NICER, THEY WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE

Pool Sharks 1200
    Secret Service 800
    F14 1200
    Mousin around 1500
    party zone 1600
    roller games 1200 Plays
    big house 650
    robo cop 1000.00
    cue ball wizard 1400
    black hole 1100
    jurassic park 1900 cracked ramped works good
    Playboy 35th 1000
    centaur 2 2000 no backglass
    pistol poker 1800
    genisis 900 works good
    millonare 800
    gameshow 1200 VERY NICE WORKS GREAT
    Vector Bad CPU 700
    Doctor Dude VERY NICE WORKS GREAT 1600
    Taxi 1600 I might keep this one
    Pharoah Nice works no sound 1100
    Party Animal PARTS Game Complete Cabinet Wasted Playfeild NIce $???????

Im out of town for 5 days, 314-280-9299

1 year later
    #22 3 years ago

Are all these sold??

#23 3 years ago

Call him. Don't resurrect a year old thread you lazy sob.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 6,199.99
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside