Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by woody76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HVAC2 (resized).jpg
    HVAC1 (resized).jpg
    MC27 (resized).jpg
    MC26 (resized).jpg
    MC25 (resized).jpg
    MC24 (resized).jpg
    MC23 (resized).jpg
    MC22 (resized).jpg
    MC21 (resized).jpg
    MC20 (resized).jpg
    MC19 (resized).jpg
    MC18 (resized).jpg
    MC17 (resized).jpg
    MC16 (resized).jpg
    MC15 (resized).jpg
    MC14 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm finally wrapping up my Covid19 Studio Man-Cave project. When the Covid hit the US I decided to convert my two-car garage into a studio/Man-Cave. My wife and I were both working remotely and both of my kids were sent home from college to continue there learning remotely. It was challenging with four family members online and all participating in video conferences. I felt this was the perfect opportunity to get approval for the studio/Man-Cave project. It was also the case the US government was handing out Covid checks. At any rate, the project was approved and I went to work. The project included but was not limited to siding, insulation, electrical, framing, drywall, painting, carpeting, roofing, and HVAC. The family was all involved and we did 90% of the work ourselves. The project is a work in progress but took approximately three months to complete

Of interest to this group was that I ran 100 AMP service from my house out to the garage. Each wall was put on a 20 amp breaker and the outside lights, receptacle, and HVAC were put on its own breaker. Also of importance was that I had a total of 18 outlets wired up in that room. I also felt it was important to put 5 of them up high for neon signs and wall hanging TV. I also ran a CAT 6 ethernet cable out to the garage and put a wireless router out there. The room also features LED smart lighting, smart tv, and smart HVAC.

My current game room was in my basement and to get games in and out of my house I would have to remove the frame on the door to get the machines through it. It was always a little easier bouncing them down the steps but was difficult to get them back up. I now have a great space to present and play my games. I always like to have a winter project or two, so now I have a nice climate-controlled environment to work in.

I attached pictures for everyone to look at.

MC1 (resized).jpgMC1 (resized).jpgMC2 (resized).jpgMC2 (resized).jpgMC3 (resized).jpgMC3 (resized).jpgMC4 (resized).jpgMC4 (resized).jpgMC5 (resized).jpgMC5 (resized).jpgMC6 (resized).jpgMC6 (resized).jpgMC7 (resized).jpgMC7 (resized).jpgMC8 (resized).jpgMC8 (resized).jpgMC26 (resized).jpgMC26 (resized).jpgMC10 (resized).jpgMC10 (resized).jpgMC9 (resized).jpgMC9 (resized).jpgMC11 (resized).jpgMC11 (resized).jpgMC13 (resized).jpgMC13 (resized).jpgMC12 (resized).jpgMC12 (resized).jpgMC14 (resized).jpgMC14 (resized).jpgMC15 (resized).jpgMC15 (resized).jpgMC16 (resized).jpgMC16 (resized).jpgMC17 (resized).jpgMC17 (resized).jpgMC18 (resized).jpgMC18 (resized).jpgMC19 (resized).jpgMC19 (resized).jpgMC20 (resized).jpgMC20 (resized).jpgMC21 (resized).jpgMC21 (resized).jpgMC22 (resized).jpgMC22 (resized).jpgMC23 (resized).jpgMC23 (resized).jpgMC24 (resized).jpgMC24 (resized).jpgMC25 (resized).jpgMC25 (resized).jpgMC27 (resized).jpgMC27 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Love it!

#3 3 years ago

Very impressive

#5 3 years ago

I used a 12,00 BTU Pioneer ductless mini-split. It heats and cools. It was pretty easy to hook up. I poked a hole in the wall and ran the tubes and wires to the other side. The electrical wires are labeled 1,2,3 and then you just match them up to the outside unit. I then ran the power from an outside electric receptacle. The tricky part is sucking the air out of the system and making sure it isn't leaking anywhere. I live right on Lake Erie. We get cold winters and hot summers. This unit is good for up to 600 sq feet. My room is a little under 500 sq feet. This unit is a little overkill for this size room but I wanted to make sure I didn't run into any heating and cooling issues.

HVAC1 (resized).jpgHVAC1 (resized).jpgHVAC2 (resized).jpgHVAC2 (resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

Looks great. Just curious which parts you decided to farm out.

#7 3 years ago

I farmed out the roof and the carpeting. My son's friend's father was in the carpeting business. He gave me a good deal. I prepared the cement floor and fixed the cracks with dry-lock and he did the rest. I looked at putting the squares down myself but it was surprisingly was expensive. I was hoping to get a rug remnant but that area was too big to find one that size. I was getting a metal roof on my house and told them to do the garage as well. I will not have to worry about any kind of water getting in there.

I paid some of my son's friends to help me hang the drywall. There was no way I was going to hang those pieces on the ceiling without some muscle. I paid them $15 hour to help with that. We completed the ceiling in two hours. I spent a couple of days doing framing on the walls to make sure everything was the same level and that I had something for the drywall to nail into. I was able to hang all of the walls by myself. Having that many outlets to work around wasn't fun. I'm still glad I put that many in.

I'm a computer guy by profession, but I can do these types of projects. I'm no expert but happy with how it all turned out.

Time to play pinball!!

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dimperio620:

Time to play pinball!!

Well said and well deserved!

#9 3 years ago

Studio/mancave huh? That looks like a mancave with a laptop inside lol.

1 month later
    #10 3 years ago

Just found this thread. Nice job on this project!

#11 3 years ago

^^^^^ Me too, good work.

#12 3 years ago

I had a mini-split in my old basement gameroom and it worked great. Mine was big enough for 1000 sq ft and it was $2800 installed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-studio-man-cave-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.