(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What really scares me is a 2nd wave. Everybody poo poos this virus and talks about flu this and flu that.
I never knew about the 1918 flu until I stumbled onto it on youtube. I thought I had read all about it, but I missed something.
https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

I don’t think history will repeat itself, because we aren’t as mobile as we were then, and people are more likely to heed the advice of medical experts because we all believe in science now.

#495 4 years ago

I think the biggest threat is innumeracy. I’ve heard many well-meaning people compare the number of deaths for COVID-19 so far to those for seasonal flu. Or they divide the number of deaths by the population. For me, the rate of change is all I’m watching. It’s meaningless to look at data from a single day, particularly this early in the game.

What we really need is for Nate Silver to stop modeling the Democratic primary, and switch his talents over to this epidemic. Big data ought to be able to tell us what the range of outcomes might be.

#744 4 years ago

Wow, exact same for me. At the end I was laying under a pile of blankets, shaking like crazy. I had the flu shot in January, so I doubt it was seasonal flu. I hope that was it (COVID-19) and I’m done for a while.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thank you and I will try. Dont laugh but I was pretty damn sick three weeks ago for two weeks straight. I had night sweats for three days followed by a horrible dey cough for three days, aches and chest congestion. I swear I wonder if I may not have had that. They also shut the schools down on my area because there was so many sick kids and teachers etc. I didnt think that I had the flu but I knew it was way worse than your typical cold also. I really just gotta wonder if I had that or not.

#1487 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Just wait. They are saying 20-30% of people end up with permanent lung damage. Life-long.
Who is going to pay for all that disability?

I thought the same thing but as my friend pointed out to me this morning, that’s just one article from China - it’s anecdotal. We need more data and analysis. But anecdotes like that do make me glad I’m bunkered down for 3 weeks.

#1489 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont understand this. Some people will think that its ok to hang out with their friends when they read this. Im staying away from everybody!

Hell yeah. I’m becoming this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=24&v=nTYxDMYKyiI&feature=emb_logo

#1493 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

22,000 people died in the US from flu in this last season.

....and that is awful. Now imagine 10-20 years worth of that happening in one year. That’s what we’re facing if we don’t stop this.

#1499 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

With Pence spending all his time heading up the Corona task force, maybe they could put one of those claymation Thunderbirds characters in charge of the Space Force? Assuming it’s still protecting the heavens as we know them.

“Claymation”? Sir, that is Supermarionation!

#1515 4 years ago

I’m trying to keep 2 things in mind when I post here:

1. Someone on Pinside is going to die of Coronavirus. We’re a large community of old men, it’s inevitable.

2. Some will lose their jobs, houses or marriages to the drastic but important measures taken over the next few months.

Let’s think of the families of both groups as we keep talking to each other about this.

#1948 4 years ago

The chart with the numbers isn’t the scary one. It’s this one (from the same site) that clearly shows the trajectory here in the US: about a 9x increase every 8 days, with no signs of slowing. If the lockdown efforts that started about a week ago are effective, they’ll start showing up in the slope of this chart around mid-April. But follow the line out another 24 days:

Mar 2 - 100 cases
Mar 10 - 994
Mar 18 - 9345 (today)
Mar 26 - 84,000
April 3 - 756,000
April 11 - 6,800,000

If we get to even 2M, the hospitals will be completely overwhelmed and mortality will shoot through the roof. Pray that everything we’re doing right now is enough, and that we can bend the curve sooner than this.

EDIT/UPDATE: the above numbers seem so ridiculous that I think it must be that the increases in testing are what’s causing the multiplier to be so high. So I’m not gonna freak out, but I’ll revisit this on March 26 to see where things stand.

Quoted from cottonm4:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The numbers on this website are all I know. I have been using the numbers on this website since these conversations on pinside started. If there are any inaccuracies I am guessing that these will be too low. But better than nothing at all.

206BB1E2-4A1C-4728-B5BA-CAACEA86CCCE (resized).jpeg206BB1E2-4A1C-4728-B5BA-CAACEA86CCCE (resized).jpeg
#1951 4 years ago

This happened to me. I was on assignment in Philadelphia last February and got hit with a bad case of the flu. I ran out of food, and I was feeling better, so I walked to the grocery store 1 block away. I was careful not to sneeze or cough. I hated to do it, but I had no choice.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Some people don't have anybody to help them out during tough times. Spouse has died. No living family to call on (that's me). The old neighbor they made a pact with for hard time help has died. They have very little money and cannot afford delivery. They may not be able to stockpile food. If they want to eat they have no choice but to go to the store and buy what they need.

#1953 4 years ago

Djshakes the count is a lagging indicator, for obvious reasons. I see people doing math where they divide deaths by total active cases. This doesn’t work, because it assumes that everyone who hasn’t died yet, won’t. It also assumes that quality of treatment is constant, and it may not be. Keep an eye on the total number of cases, and the current multiplier.

#1958 4 years ago
C68F82A7-4567-42FD-8354-99149C59B4EA (resized).jpegC68F82A7-4567-42FD-8354-99149C59B4EA (resized).jpeg
#1960 4 years ago

If I’m reading the charts right, Italy’s infection count is growing at about 13% per day while the US is growing about 30% per day. This is an enormous difference. One possibility is that the growth of the “true count” (day over day) is much lower, and the lack of testing is actually making that multiplier worse than than the reality. I really hope that’s the case.

#2021 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Numbers as of yesterday.[quoted image]

Hi @djshakes, thanks. What’s the source for the prediction table? I’ve been looking for something like that.

#2100 4 years ago

10k today
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg

#2112 4 years ago

Damn you @odin, I looked all over the basement for my old BTO records and couldn’t find them. But I found some sweet John Mayall albums so I’m listening to those instead.

#2118 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

I had BTO on 8-track...

Hahahaha, you just reminded me, I did too. I never had the albums, just the 8-tracks.

#2134 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

You should show these graphs with a linear scale, an exponentially increasing graph communicates the urgency in a more visual way...

Nah, when you're dealing with exponential growth the logarithmic scale is pretty good:

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
#2175 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Isnt it interesting that the opinions that disagree with Virus, think its a Hoax still, want to blame China,
Let Nature take its course.....
But that doesnt matter, this is true, because everyone is entitled to their opinions, right?

Eugenics were popular once. I bet “Medical Ethicist” is the loneliest job on the planet right now.

#2181 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Here you go buddy. Covad is mice nuts compared to what we went through and survived. So keep panicking, I’ll just pickup your pins for cheap when you have a heart attack for no good reason
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/
So yeah - Covad is Overrated

They are comparing a baby pandemic to a full-grown one.

#2205 4 years ago

Estimates, hunches and predictions are no match for math.

#2240 4 years ago

I would hate to see this turn into a political thread. Best to spew that stuff somewhere else, whether it’s attacking or defending what’s happened before. All we have is the road before us, and we all gotta walk it together.

#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from Bazzy34:

There is no Cure or vaccine for the flu, nor will there be for COVID.

Huh? I got a flu shot in January, what was that?

#2294 4 years ago

If or when the US gets to the same level of infection as Italy now (679 per million), we will be at 224,000. Wonder how long it will take us to get there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.