(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

My guess and from experience a lot more people are infected than we think.
I was a hater in the other thread but I will eat crow now.
I still don’t think it is reason for panic but it is going to effect a huge amount of the population.

Absolutely - this is about rate of transmission. Lower mortality Than previous pandemics but higher transmission rate - same/same.

If US hasn’t been testing as widely until recently, likely it’s much more widely spread than we think. What about India, Indonesia etc? Must be rampant there, but they’ve got much worse diseases to worry about.

#504 4 years ago

And WTF about banning Europe travel but not UK? Just another bullshit trade negotiation tool.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh yeah. I was looking at the map and surprisingly Africa doesn't look to be getting hit that hard either. Was wondering if perhaps this virus doesn't do so well in too much heat or too much cold. Like how The Andromeda Strain could only survive in a certain range of PH.
I'll go back to sleep now.

That’s just because out of all the things an African person needs to worry about, CoronaVirus is about 76th on the list.

#670 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Biggest group in CO is in the high country thanks to an Australian group in Aspen...Australians! Am I right?

Filthy Aussies.

Hang on, I’m blaming Tom Hanks. Pretty sure he‘s responsible for its spread down here.

#753 4 years ago

Not too many Schools closing here yet, though I suspect it's only a matter of time. My sons' school has been cancelling all external events.

One of his classmates' dad is a journalist (Jimmy Barnes' son for those who know Aussie Rock) who personally interviewed Tom Hanks this week while he was in Sydney...…...

#763 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Even for those who think this is BS, the threat of lockdown is real.

Bingo. Whatever you think of the Virus threat, the panic is very real.

#783 4 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

triskaidekaphobes

Thanks for the new word.

#1042 4 years ago

One of the better articles I’ve read. Seems fairly objective and based on fact. All common sense really and not to be sneezed at (see what I did there).

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Edit: it’s a bit of a slog to read. Probably not ideal for the 2 second social media attention span. Maybe someone can do a TikTok interpretation of it.

#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My takeaway over the last few days is that we should be in an Italy style lockdown NOW, not in 2 weeks.

Makes sense.

Not only does it short circuit the spread, but 2-3 weeks of total lockdown is infinitely better than months of uncertainty.

#1066 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

This is going to take a long time to run its course so get ready for the long haul.

No question.

Imo we’ve got 2 options - let it run its course with no restrictions- get it over and done with. Or total shutdown. China went the latter and it appears to have worked.

At the moment in Australia we’re doing neither - just doing the bare minimum hoping it’s going to be ok.

I’ve got Chinese friends who live part time here and part time in China. They’ve been
in Sydney during the worst of the outbreak in China and now they want to go back to China because they believe it’s now safer there. They don’t trust the Australian authorities ability to control it.

But then it’s easier to manage this sort of stuff in a communist country.

#1068 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That’s the spike model where hospitals are overwhelmed and they choose who lives and dies. Bad idea.
Here’s an interesting look at a lockdown of USA:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/history/2020/03/60-million-person-coronavirus-lockdown-united-states

Exactly - obviously that’s not a socially acceptable option. Imo the only other option is a complete “short term” shut down to short circuit the spread. The virus apparently only remains dangerous outside a host for 10 days and is contagious from a host for 14 days.

Lockdown today and everyone who’s got it is no longer contagious after 14 days. Then add the 10 days for the potential deposits outside hosts. 24 days and the virus has been mostly eliminated.

Extend travel bans to countries who don’t shut down, until they do.

I’m no expert, and those numbers may be not completely correct, but the logic remains. And China more or less already proved this is the best model to combat it.

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

China nailed, welded, sealed and blocked the entrance and exit to peoples houses. Food came from family members and friends, or not at all. The Military overwhelmed, knocked out and threw people into the back of trucks. Their Citizens were forced into mass quarantine Units with beds 2 foot apart where the virus could run free, single bathrooms requiring a long hike servicing hundreds of people.
Do you really feel this is the best Model?

Sounds like a fun holiday.

Cmon, obviously that’s the extreme measure (assuming it’s true - sounds like a fair bit of right wing conspiracy seasoning to me), but there’s a lot you can do between anarchy and police state.

#1098 4 years ago

Our PM just announced all inbound arrivals need to self-quarantine for 14 days and all cruise ships are banned from docking for 30 days. No idea how they police it, but effectively it’s a ban on inbound tourism.

Like NZ, we are fortunate to be an island with easily controlled borders.

#1209 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Why and How Governments Need to Mobilize Sanitizer Supply – NextBigFuture.com
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2020/03/why-and-how-governments-need-to-mobilize-sanitizer-supply.html
I thought this was an interesting read.

That’s a big problem here. F*ck the toilet paper (I literally don’t give a shit about that ) but the sanitizer is essential in fighting this virus. I want to install a couple of alcohol sanitizer stations in my warehouse but there is literally nothing available. This is the type of stuff the government should be distributing free.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

HTF did you get a chiropractor to lick your balls?

Chiropractors can be a bit weird. But Osteopaths are the real freaks.

#1647 4 years ago

In case there is anyone left in denial, this from one of my suppliers in Germany this morning (clothing industry).....

"We would be ready to arrange an AIR shipment even with lower quantity but for the time being we have to admit that the situation locally is so serious that we are far beyond any normal business.
Germany and or closest European neighbours are facing the most dramatic situation in economic, public and private life since second World War.
Even companies like VW, SIEMENS, LUFTHANSA etc. close their production plants, offices etc. completely.
XXXXX will close all productions plants – xxxxxx, Romania and India – from coming Monday. All employees of administration in xxxxxxx will be forced to work under short-time conditions, which means maximum 60% of the individual working time is used.
Employees in production will be at home completely, in logistic only the minimum of 5 people where normally about 40 colleagues are working.

Therefore please understand that we cannot give any forecast if / how / when a dispatch can / will be done. We try our utmost to serve all our markets equally but have strict instructions and schedules what has to be handled / settled when.

Sorry for not being able to give a more concrete reply, things are changing not daily but by the hour."

Another XXXXXX colleague has advised the following…

"This Corona disease is spreading now. The number of infected people is still low in Germany and thanks god, patients recover also soon. Nevertheless, the German government forced all retail stores, beside grocery business to shut down the doors to reduce expanding the disease – also borders within the EU has been closed already. Consequently, there is no consumer industry working and we had to take measurements, accordingly. Beginning of next week, we will close the factories and send people home until mid of April. It´s a hard measurement, but necessary to keep the brand XXXXX running for the future. This week we have finalized all goods of Spring/Summer and after Easter break, we will continue with the production of Winter 2020, means we probably can keep all delivery dates for 2020.
XXXXX has a good foundation, a very strong infrastructure and offers a very flexible service of NOS goods. By passing this crisis, the market environment will look different. Retailers, competitors, suppliers, many stakeholders in this business will suffer a lot – XXXXXX will survive, will come back stronger on the long term and we will follow up business together with you as soon as possible to come back to normal operation mode.

Until then we thank you for your understanding and patience about those measurements, we have to take right now.

All the best to you, your families and you colleagues!

Stay healthy, take care!"

#1944 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

All current numbers are pretty meaningless until a lot more testing is done, ya know, cold hard facts.

Deaths are pretty much 100% accurate, whereas infections are likely at least 10* what's being reported. Means the actual mortality rate is likely 10* less than what's being reported.

#1947 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

“Likely” and numbers don’t mix well, math is finite, and yes 100% accurate on death numbers made me laugh.

Laughing here as well. lol.

#1976 4 years ago

Ok, back to my Boomer Bash. They have no freakin’ idea.

Went to the local cafe today to get a coffee. Literally the only people in there, and anywhere for that matter, are Baby Boomers and older. Everyone else is either working from home or self distancing.

Why is everyone else self distancing? To save the f*n’ boomers from getting f*n Covid19.

The world has literally plunged itself into significant economic collapse (and it IS collapsing) by shutting EVERYTHING down, to save these f*n Boomers and they’re out and about saying “I don’t know what the fuss is about. There’s no one here to infect me! This is great, we’ve got the place to ourselves.”

OMFG.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance?tu=cooked71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.