(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 47.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

What's your timeline for "very soon"?

It’s making major headlines now just like all the other outbreaks that have happened in the past.It will die out and things will be back to normal.Remember way back about the Y2K bug?? People stocking up on batteries,water,ect. And ALL the stores that sold all that stuff put up signs “no refund on those products sold before January 1st 2000...

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

It’s making major headlines now just like all the other outbreaks that have happened in the past.It will die out and things will be back to normal.Remember way back about the Y2K bug?? People stocking up on batteries,water,ect. And ALL the stores that sold all that stuff put up signs “no refund on those products sold before January 1st 2000...

Using your critical thinking skills, how might a lethal virus that transfers from person to person, be different than a bug in computer code?

#153 4 years ago

Politics and big Pharma are major people who bank off of people they put in panic or fear.Since the 1950”s when the government used to have drills for a Russian nuclear attack.Its a test to see how people would react to such a threat

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Using your critical thinking skills, how might a lethal virus that transfers from person to person, be different than a bug in computer code?

I’m saying it’s the same tactics

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I dont think anyone disputes the fact that this will eventually die out or be under control at some point. Things will eventually return to normal, but between now and then there will be a lot of problems, especially economically.

Perception is reality and if the general public is spooked we're all going to feel it regardless of how dangerous this turns out to be. I don't personally ever remember seeing anything this "hyped" before in my lifetime.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I dont think anyone disputes the fact that this will eventually die out or be under control at some point. Things will eventually return to normal, but between now and then there will be a lot of problems, especially economically.
Perception is reality and if the general public is spooked we're all going to feel it regardless of how dangerous this turns out to be. I don't personally ever remember seeing anything this "hyped" before in my lifetime.

Honch,just look it up on the net it’s all there.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Politics and big Pharma are major people who bank off of people they put in panic or fear.Since the 1950”s when the government used to have drills for a Russian nuclear attack.Its a test to see how people would react to such a threat

Should anyone plan or prepare for anything?

Nothing personal, but I'm glad credentialed and experienced doctors, like Dr. Fauci of the NIH are being consulted over say, someone like you.

Now it's hard to say whether or not anyoneis actually listening to what they have to say, but that's another matter.

#158 4 years ago

Lots of flat earthers around here.

#159 4 years ago

Every once in awhile I hear somebody say in conversation that so-and-so is full of more shit than Christmas turkey. I see the Christmas turkey has arrived and is blissfully, and ignorantly, posting bullshit.

#160 4 years ago

OP trolling not worth the time and typing

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

OP trolling not worth the time and typing

vrzoymmx73l41 (resized).jpgvrzoymmx73l41 (resized).jpg
#162 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Oh he was ejected huh,that I didn’t know thanks for the heads up buddy

87723461-F1F8-4C68-B703-EA1070989FC2 (resized).jpeg87723461-F1F8-4C68-B703-EA1070989FC2 (resized).jpeg
#163 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

No problem don’t need you to be my buddy I was just being nice

#164 4 years ago

Nobody’s trolling you...just looking for some evidence.

You realize the outbreaks ended with containment and a vaccine essentially? They solve it medically...they haven’t had time to do that yet. It will end with a vaccine that’s incorporated in to yearly flu shots and we’re back to anti vaxxers etc. It’s the lag period that people are concerned about.

#165 4 years ago

One meter is recommended distance between each other. Sometime a special suit is needed. keep your distance!

0D0379CF-C3E8-45AC-A647-0E4F173C36EB (resized).jpeg0D0379CF-C3E8-45AC-A647-0E4F173C36EB (resized).jpeg
#166 4 years ago

Does alcohol kill coronavirus?

I’m not taking any chances. I’m pretreating on the inside.

96D40598-D396-4EDE-879F-A1163446AB86 (resized).jpeg96D40598-D396-4EDE-879F-A1163446AB86 (resized).jpeg
#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I’m not taking any chances. I’m pretreating on the inside.

Well, that means you are either a drunk or an idiot. Or perhaps a drunken idiot?

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

No problem don’t need you to be my buddy I was just being nice

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, that means you are either a drunk or an idiot. Or perhaps a drunken idiot?

Not yet, give me a little while.

#170 4 years ago

Interesting video on the autopsy of a patient from China who had the Coronavirus which eventually developed into ARDS.

A take-away from the video might be that if you choose to be intubated, you might have a better chance of survival.

Intubation is the process of inserting a tube, called an endotracheal tube (ET), through the mouth and then into the airway. This is done so that a patient can be placed on a ventilator to assist with breathing during anesthesia, sedation, or severe illness.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#171 4 years ago

This is the only chart that shows anything positive. And it is just a chart showing change in percentages. It has nothing to do with absolute numbers. Today the death rate is down to 6%. And, as I see it, this is the only thing to cheer about.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 12.01.32 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 12.01.32 PM (resized).png

The numbers on the left were 24 days ago. The numbers in the middle were 19 days ago. The numbers on the right are from today.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 12.10.18 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 12.10.18 PM (resized).png

We talk about the "progress" China has made in trying to get in front of this freight train, but China is still gaining about 100 people/cases per day. So, percentage-wise China is making ground. But the absolute numbers do not seem encouraging. Especially when you look at Italy and Iran.

NOTE: This is just 1/4 of the table. There is no room to post the rest.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.55.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.55.30 AM (resized).png

Daily new cases are still going up the world around.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.06 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.06 AM (resized).png

Total new cases looked like they were leveling off a little bit but now it looks like they are accelerating.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.27 AM (resized).png

And here is why.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.43 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.55 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.56.55 AM (resized).png

The orange keeps getting bigger.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.58.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.58.18 AM (resized).png

I wish I had taken some snaps of this pie chart a few days ago. It is so dynamic. Last week Iran was just a small sliver of of the pie, as was Italy.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.58.39 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.58.39 AM (resized).png

Saving the best for last. New daily cases are creeping up while new recoveries are going down.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.59.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.59.15 AM (resized).png

Everything above is sourced from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Were you a taxpayer at that time? Everyone remembers Bush sending out the $300 and $600 checks.
Anyway, the economy is going to tank and nothing spends like money. I had my doubts when Bush did it but studies since have shown people actually used the cash and it had a temporary boost effect. I’m thinking we’ll need that even more pretty soon.

Must be mis remembering . I do know a check arrived.

#173 4 years ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-map-live-cases-death-toll-world-latest/

"How did the disease spread around the world?

" China's health authorities have been praised for their quick reaction to the disease and their transparency in sharing genetic data. The quarantine of "Wuhan and other Chinese cities is thought to have delayed the spread of the coronavirus to other countries by a matter of weeks.
============================================================

And an early prediction that proved wrong. Ignorance and BS always abounds :

"However, experts said at the beginning of the outbreak that the disease did not spread easily from human to human. That has since been proved "wrong, but may have contributed to initial complacency.
======================================================

And the part that gets my attention:

" Because many people who become infected suffer either no symptoms or only mild symptoms, coronavirus has also been able to spread under the radar.

" Some disease modellers believe that only 10 per cent of cases in China and a third in the rest of the world are being picked up.
=================================

I really have to think about if I want to willingly enter a confined space where everybody is playing pinball while wiping their face and hands all over their clothes.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

It was #41.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I remember 2 checks from 2001 to 2008 and then an economic stimulus package that appeared for most people via decreases in taxes to their paychecks in 2009 (some people did receive a physical check).

Bush signed the $1.35 trillion tax cut -- which includes soon-to-be-mailed rebate checks of up to $600 -- amid the kind of presidential pomp he usually disdains: a formal ceremony in the East Room, with a Marine band playing "Hail to the Chief."

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Bush-signs-1-3-trillion-tax-cut-bill-300-600-2913184.php

The tax rebates will go to some 117 million Americans. Those individuals who don't make enough to pay income taxes will get rebates of $300. The rebates will start to phase out for those who earn more than $75,000 or for couples who earn more than $150,000. Businesses will get tax write-offs that are double what they can take now on new investments, as well as incentives to invest in new equipment.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18391644

When Did Stimulus Checks Go Out?
In May 2009, the federal government sent checks of $250 each to more than 52 million Social Security and SSI recipients. If you did not receive your check, call 1-800-772-1213 or TTY 1-800-325-0778. You may also contact your local Social Security office.

Did Everyone Receive Stimulus Checks?
The Act was unusual in that most taxpayers did not receive checks. Instead, they received tax rebates. Instead of waiting until the April tax deadline, their withholding was cut. The Obama administration argued that they would receive benefits quicker.

In 2009, the average taxpayer received a tax cut of $400 per individual or $800 per family. They did not receive stimulus checks. Instead, the tax cuts appeared in each paycheck starting in June 2009. Each employee had about 6% less withheld from their checks.

https://www.thebalance.com/stimulus-checks-3305750

#176 4 years ago

So, I have no way to back this up so take it as you will but in talking with some co-workers in Hong Kong this morning, China is majorly misreporting recovery numbers, and that there is still a ton of quarantine and shutdowns. Yesterday they did lift the ban on restaurants though. When we told them our numbers here in the US they were shocked it wasn't higher because it is so bad over there. They are keeping a close eye on Italy and Korea for spread.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Ok. Couple days ago, none in Colorado...then some guy up skiing that flew in from Italy, then a guy from a cruise, then a lady from another cruise...NOW a parent from the school near my kid’s school, they closed early today...that parents kids hang with a kid from my kids school...JACKPOT.
From none to less than a Kevin Bacon away from my family. WTF?

OK, Wickerman, Let me see if I got this right. Because some other kids' mom shows signs of having the virus, your kids now have to stay home. Is this going to turn into a situation that because your kids might have been exposed that you now have to stay home and self-quarantine ?

What about all of the other families in that school. Are all of the kids in that school being sent home, too? Could we see you and your family and all of the other families in that school having to stay home?

How many kids and how many parents in that school? What about the teachers and their families ?

#178 4 years ago

The other school shut early. CDC says if they sanitize the whole school they are good. The family from that school definitely has it and are quarantined. My kids head of school says today that the rumor that kids from quarantine family and our school hanging in last few days is false. Hopefully that’s the case.

They are saying the parent that has it hadn’t been on campus recently. I am a bit fuzzy on the status of their kids...they had to be on campus so maybe they tested negative so far?

They are sending emails/texts with updates daily with all the goings on and precautions. So as of today, we’re a go for launch on Monday!

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, I have no way to back this up

Neither do most of the folks who post in these threads, that shouldn’t stop anyone from posting.

#180 4 years ago

Shit just got real!

Coronavirus panic spreads: Costco is pulling free samples over COVID-19

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/03/06/costco-samples-coronavirus-suspends-free-samples/4980216002/

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-map-live-cases-death-toll-world-latest/
"How did the disease spread around the world?
" China's health authorities have been praised for their quick reaction to the disease and their transparency in sharing genetic data. The quarantine of "Wuhan and other Chinese cities is thought to have delayed the spread of the coronavirus to other countries by a matter of weeks.
============================================================
And an early prediction that proved wrong. Ignorance and BS always abounds :
"However, experts said at the beginning of the outbreak that the disease did not spread easily from human to human. That has since been proved "wrong, but may have contributed to initial complacency.
======================================================
And the part that gets my attention:
" Because many people who become infected suffer either no symptoms or only mild symptoms, coronavirus has also been able to spread under the radar.
" Some disease modellers believe that only 10 per cent of cases in China and a third in the rest of the world are being picked up.
=================================

Interesting. I've seen similar dissections/criticisms of China's handling of the outbreak.

Coronavirus outbreak: What went wrong in the early days

• Lesson 1: Epidemics are more likely to grow in an authoritarian society.
  • Lesson 2: Close the Live Animal markets.
  • Lesson 3: Propaganda does not equal public health.
  • Lesson 4: The role of the WHO should be revised.
  • Lesson 5: Don't trust the numbers.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I really have to think about if I want to willingly enter a confined space where everybody is playing pinball while wiping their face and hands all over their clothes.

Yeah, I hate to see great events like TPF and MGC potentially cancel or suffer loses due to low attendance. We've seen a lot of other big events and conferences around the world being cancelled or postponed. I'm guessing every event promoter/planner is definitely paying attention to the news.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Neither do most of the folks who post in these threads, that shouldn’t stop anyone from posting.

Funnily enough that seems to be mostly from the deniers. When you think EVERYONE is lying to you, you don't have any sources but your own opinion.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I personally think you're wasting your time chastising the henny-pennys here on Pinside, when your expertise and experience would be better spent advising the doctors and scientists around the world who are tasked with responding to a global pandemic.
yew88zs1ayk41 (resized).jpgyew88zs1ayk41 (resized).jpg

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Shit just got real!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2020/03/06/costco-samples-coronavirus-suspends-free-samples/4980216002/

The ramifications on the supply chain are tremendous.

Everybody is stocking up. Stores are having to having to scramble to keep the shelves full. Manufacturers are having to scramble to supply the stores. I'll stay again: Everybody is stocking up; For possible future needs and nothing they will need tomorrow.

Assume everybody goes and buys a 3 month supply of toilet paper, and by some circumstance of events, the virus just magically goes away. Now, you have a population that is stocked up with a 3 month supply of toilet paper. If the virus does not materialize then the country has a 3 month supply of toilet paper to work off. If you are the toilet paper maker you will need to find something else for your employees to do for 3 months when demand and supply start matching again.

Of course, the morbid way to look at it is that half the population dies. There is going to be a lot of toilet paper out there free for the taking, which will still cause the supply chain fits.

There is no way to win with the possibilities we are looking at.

#185 4 years ago

I personally think you're wasting your time chastising the stupid henny-pennys here on Pinside, when your expertise and experience would be better spent advising the doctors and scientists around the world who are tasked with responding to a global pandemic.[quoted image]

You have to admit that with this virus action that: global warming, air pollution, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, California fires, and any other item you can think about, that all of these items have been placed on the back burners.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Assume everybody goes and buys a 3 month supply of toilet paper, and by some circumstance of events, the virus just magically goes away. Now, you have a population that is stocked up with a 3 month supply of toilet paper. If the virus does not materialize then the country has a 3 month supply of toilet paper to work off. If you are the toilet paper maker you will need to find something else for your employees to do for 3 months when demand and supply start matching again.

m25kxlffb1l41 (resized).jpgm25kxlffb1l41 (resized).jpg

Quoted from cottonm4:

Of course, the morbid way to look at it is that half the population dies. There is going to be a lot of toilet paper out there free for the taking, which will still cause the supply chain fits.
There is no way to win with the possibilities we are looking at.

I haven't seen any suggestion that case fatality rates are that high. I personally don't know if I want to live in a world where half the populations dies. That seems inconceivable and apocalyptic. I'm optimistic that we (the entire world) will eventually get on top of this.

#187 4 years ago

Don’t squeeze the Charmin!

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have to admit that with this virus action that: global warming, air pollution, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, California fires, and any other item you can think about, that all of these items have been placed on the back burners.

I'm optimistic that if we take this virus seriously and mount a rational scientific response, our country
coulduse this example as a springboard to take these issues more seriously and to trust the eggheads and scientists who have been warning us about these potential outcomes for years.

I seriously hope this only our "warning" and not "the big one", and that we take it seriously and learn from it.

#189 4 years ago

Charmin is the best toilet paper hands down.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Charmin is the best toilet paper hands down.

Cottonelle is great too.

#191 4 years ago

Great idea for a restaurant of questionable quality. Placed strategically right outside of the restroom...sure to be a money maker.

#192 4 years ago

I personally think you're wasting your time chastising the henny-pennys here on Pinside, when your expertise and experience would be better spent advising the doctors and scientists around the world who are tasked with responding to a global pandemic.
[quoted image]

It’s apparent that I’ve listened to what they’ve said and the “henny-pennys “ have not. These are the same guys who won’t take their boats more than a mile off shore for fear of falling off the edge.

#193 4 years ago

Great thread

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It’s apparent that I’ve listened to what they’ve said and the “henny-pennys “ have not. These are the same guys who won’t take their boats more than a mile off shore for fear of falling off the edge.

Who knows?

Isolated on a small yacht with enough food and supplies on your way to the Antarctic "Ice Wall" at the edge of the Flat Earth, might be your safest bet to wait out the Corona-virus?

#195 4 years ago

Last thing I'm going to share today, which I think is sensible advice:

Enjoy your weekend, and stay safe! Like the stock market, I'm going to take some time off until Monday.

Ino6lrvpWzRdciUsnTzIc_y8SqXTY04QKajh4rYnx54 (resized).pngIno6lrvpWzRdciUsnTzIc_y8SqXTY04QKajh4rYnx54 (resized).png
#197 4 years ago

CPAC Attendee tests Positive for Corona Virus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/healthcare/486457-cpac-attendee-tests-positive-for-coronavirus%3famp

Probably still thinks it’s a hoax.

#198 4 years ago

That data table I put up earlier has changed.

The U.S. did have 365 cases yesterday. And now the U.S. has added another 115 people to 434.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 6.06.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 6.06.52 PM (resized).png

New York state is dealing 21 new cases for a total of 76.

Last week there only around 100 case in the states.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 6.10.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-07 at 6.10.04 PM (resized).png

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/health/coronavirus-outbreaks-saturday/index.html

Fox News is right there with the updates, too.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-new-york-update-cuomo-state-emergency

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Shit just got real!

Also in the UK, employees were spraying customers!

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Also in the UK, employees were spraying customers!

I’ve seen some of these customers. They should have been spraying them before the Coronavirus as well.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 47.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.