(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 47.
#1501 4 years ago

We can never forget the criminal incompetence that occurred here. We can never forget what happened here, and the people who allowed it to happen. The people who CHEERED IT ON.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more disappointed in our country.

#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thats is about the best article I have read in a long time.
================================
I really like this part:
"Some more details from Boeing:
Boeing Co. has asked White House and Congressional officials for short-term aid for itself, suppliers and airlines as the outlook for the travel industry worsens by the day, said people familiar with the matter.
The U.S. planemaker is seeking to avoid layoffs and damage to hundreds of smaller companies that make parts and systems for its aircraft, said the people, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. Boeing has also been buffeted by the grounding of its best-selling 737 Max, which awaits regulatory clearance to resume flights after two deadly crashes.
-------------------------------------------
Followed by this part:
We have one small problem with that: while Boeing was perfectly happy to load up on as much debt as it could over the past decade, the bulk of the proceeds was used for none other than enriching its shareholders and management, with zero consideration for those same employees and suppliers that the company suddenly cares so much about now. And Boeing certainly didn't care about its passengers when it cut every corner it could find, to design the 737 MAX as cheaply as possible, a plane that was "designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys", even if it meant the airplane would become a deathtrap.
So, no, nobody in their right minds should give Boeing even one penny in "short term aid". Instead, management and the board should be ordered to sell as much stock as they need - you know, the opposite of buying it back - to maintain the business, even it means sending the stock price crashing far lower.
Because it's called capitalism, and because there is no reason why taxpayers should foot the bill for a company which instead of saving cash when times were good, was handing it out to shareholders and a handful of executives, and which should now for some insane reason be eligible for a bailout when times suddenly go bad.
No: force Boeing - and others like it that spent billions repurchasing its stock while incurring massive amounts of debt - to sell its stock. After all that's what a public company's stock is - a currency - and just as Boeing could repurchase it when it had cash, and lifted its stock price to all time highs, it should now sell its stock and use the proceeds to fund itself, like any other corporation does when it needs funding. Last time we checked, Boeing's market cap was $73 billion, and it certainly afford to drop much more as the company now does the buyback in reverse.
--------------------
And especially this part:
This is also a warning to Congress and the White House: if chronic stock repurchasers such as Boeing, are bailed out instead of ordered to find their own sources of liquidity, there will be a mutiny in America and rightfully so, because it was Boeing's shareholders that got rich on the way up, and now it is somehow up to taxpayers to make sure the company, loaded up with record amounts of debt used to fund buybacks, survives one more quarter.
That, in a word, is bullshit.
=====================================

Isn’t that capitalism? the most pure and natural form of economy ever? EVER?

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont understand this. Some people will think that its ok to hang out with their friends when they read this. Im staying away from everybody!

Well, it is election year. There has to be at least a few people to attend the rallys.

Anybody who has been flying all over the country giving pep talks is going have to stay home.

#1510 4 years ago

I remember the day I was kicked out of my first Coronavirus thread...nothing like that feeling. Chills.

#1512 4 years ago

So if the window worker at the drive thru restaurant or has the virus, or picks it up from handling cash and/or credit cards, wouldn’t they then infect everyone coming through....the same people who just made the food run for the isolated people at home. Yikes! You can run but you can’t hide!

#1513 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

So if the window worker at the drive thru restaurant or has the virus, or picks it up from handling cash and/or credit cards, wouldn’t they then infect everyone coming through....the same people who just made the food run for the isolated people at home. Yikes! You can run but you can’t hide!

Maybe. Transmission in that setting has to be way less than 100%, especially if they’re required to wash hands and sterilize frequently.

#1514 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Here is how they are doing it in China.

Do you think the US has the moxie to do this?

#1515 4 years ago

I’m trying to keep 2 things in mind when I post here:

1. Someone on Pinside is going to die of Coronavirus. We’re a large community of old men, it’s inevitable.

2. Some will lose their jobs, houses or marriages to the drastic but important measures taken over the next few months.

Let’s think of the families of both groups as we keep talking to each other about this.

#1516 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m trying to keep 2 things in mind when I post here:
1. Someone on Pinside is going to die of Coronavirus. We’re a large community of old men, it’s inevitable.
2. Some will lose their jobs, houses or marriages to the drastic but important measures taken over the next few months.
Let’s think of the families of both groups as we keep talking to each other about this.

I know some one who is real close to me
in the number 2 category unfortunately. Nothing worse when youre trying to prepare with food etc.than being told youre overreacting and that the whole thing is no big deal. Facebook with selfies etc is more important.The guys spouse tells his son that his dad is going crazy about the virus. He is just trying to be a protector for his family. Wife thinks hes nuts.

#1517 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Someone on Pinside is going to die of Coronavirus. We’re a large community of old men, it’s inevitable.

And then what happens is we all look for his pinside name and the check out his collection, and wish we were closer.

#1518 4 years ago

I like the 1.79 gas prices, and hope that stays for a very long time, other than that I hope everything returns to normal soon and everyone is fine.

Earlier I went to the store hoping to get 20.00 worth of stuff(no tp needed), and was only able to get 8.00 of what I needed. Last Friday I was able to get 0, so a improvement.

And damn, I was just trying to put my items on the belt, and the dude in front of me informed me that I needed to keep my distance. I was not even that close to the dude, people have gone nuts.

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I like the 1.79 gas prices, and hope that stays for a very long time, other than that I hope everything returns to normal soon and everyone is fine.
Earlier I went to the store hoping to get 20.00 worth of stuff(no tp needed), and was only able to get 8.00 of what I needed. Last Friday I was able to get 0, so a improvement.
And damn, I was just trying to put my items on the belt, and the dude in front of me informed me that I needed to keep my distance. I was not even that close to the dude, people have gone nuts.

You should have started coughing. I bet he would have taken off running like a mad man lol.

#1520 4 years ago

More than half of American jobs are at risk because of coronavirus

Finding new jobs will be tough for those losing paychecks

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/economy/job-losses-coronavirus/index.html

It is all in the link. Sad.

#1521 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Job loss is definitely going to be terrible when this is all said and done.....that sucks.

#1522 4 years ago

My father (in his 70s) is currently in the hospital. He went in today for cancer surgery to have a tumor removed.
Best case scenario they release him tomorrow, possibly the next day.
They live in California.

Both my mom and dad have health problems and check multiple categories for high risk if infected by corona.

Both of them think this is over hyped media propaganda and nothing more than a flu. My mom called me today to give me a report on how my dads doing. She then proceeded to tell me how the surgery went well and she spent all day in the hospital waiting room and how crazy it was with “all these people”.
At that point my stomach cramped up into a ball.

To be honest all of this scare the shit out of me. Going to have a hard time sleeping tonight.

#1523 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont understand this. Some people will think that its ok to hang out with their friends when they read this. Im staying away from everybody!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just want to say you guys have been doing a tremendous job. Fantastic. Amazing. Tremendous. 10 out of 10.

Who-Dey is my top player of the week!

Had a buddy (biggest pussy I know) text me Sunday and said "having a comedy movie marathon today if you wanna stop buy, everyone can bring their kids."

Calls me a pussy. Corvis shaming giving strength to the weak.

Quoted from Coindork:

My mom still hold up in Florida cheering up from my Dad dying. She's like the most over the top hypochondriac ever and she tells me "Just got back from getting the AC in my car fixed."

Crazy out there

#1524 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

My father (in his 70s) is currently in the hospital. He went in today for cancer surgery to have a tumor removed.
They live in California.
Both my mom and dad have health problems and check multiple categories for high risk if infected by corona.
Both of them think this is over hyped media propaganda and nothing more than a flu. My mom called me today to give me a report on how my dads doing. She then proceeded to tell me how the surgery went well and she spent all day in the hospital waiting room and how crazy it was with “all these people”.
To be honest all of this scare the shit out of me. Going to have a hard time sleeping tonight.

I'm a little frustrated the hospital didn't strongly advise that your mom wait at home. I hope everything turns out alright for your family.

I think staying home is the best thing most of us can do right now. But if you have a decent PC, you may also want to check into this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corona-virus-help-fight-the-pandemic-with-your-gpu-and-cpu#post-5530752

#1525 4 years ago

Exponential movement in the U.S. (with graphs)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Last week there were 50 or so cases of Coronavirus ( get ready for a new acronym: CV ). in US. Today there are almost 5000 cases of CV. There have been 93 deaths and 74 recoveries. That's not a very good ratio.

There are a lot of good charts at link but this one stands out.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 1.05.36 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-17 at 1.05.36 AM (resized).png

#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Several outlets are saying well over half of American jobs are at risk.

I can attest. My wife's job shut down last week and I was informed that my job is shutting down effective today.

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Had a buddy (biggest pussy I know) text me Sunday and said "having a comedy movie marathon today if you wanna stop buy, everyone can bring their kids."

My girlfriends sister is having a big birthday party for her daughter and her grandson. My gf and her other sisters are scared to go and ask her if she would care to postpone the birthday party. She said no way so they told her that they wouldnt be coming and would just send gifts through the mail. My gf sister is now pissed off and telling them this is just a bunch of BS and there is nothing to be afraid of.

I know I was one of the people who was blowing this off at first and a part of me still believes that it's not going to be as bad as they say but I'm definitely taking this serious regardless. As of right now I'm staying away from people as much as I can. I still have to work but other than that I'm taking it serious and staying home and playing pinball when I'm not working.

#1528 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm a little frustrated the hospital didn't strongly advise that your mom wait at home. I hope everything turns out alright for your family.
I think staying home is the best thing most of us can do right now. But if you have a decent PC, you may also want to check into this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corona-virus-help-fight-the-pandemic-with-your-gpu-and-cpu#post-5530752

My mom is a total space cadet (always has been).
I stoped her after she said that and politely scolded her over the phone.
Basically walked her though what she needs to be doing.
Felt like I was reprimanding one of my children.
Also talked to one of my siblings in California on the phone and he was kind of the same way.
Going to call my sister in the morning whom is probably the most level headed sibling I have and try to get her to pick my dad up and take him home tomorrow. Really want my parents staying home and minimalize the risk.

#1529 4 years ago

Everyone who wasn't absolutely required to be in the office was sent home. I'm in IT so we can dial in from home, but I know a lot of people without that option.

#1530 4 years ago

So, what happens when the world comes out of lock down?

Surely as the virus will still be around, cases will rise again?

Can't keep going into lockdown or stay in lockdown until a vaccine is produced??

Aren't these approaches just delaying the inevitable?

I realise there are no easy answers of course.

#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Aren't these approaches just delaying the inevitable?

Yes, that's the point. We can't do much to stop saturation at this point. The next best thing is to slow the infection rate to keep infrastructure from being overwhelmed.
Think of it this way: each country has the ability to treat a certain number of people AT ONE TIME. If you slow the infections enough to keep under that number, the system can handle it(for a time). This is called "flattening the curve." On the other hand, if people catch it too quickly, then some percentage of sick people have to go without treatment. And that will raise the ultimate death rate.

#1532 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Who-Dey is my top player of the week!

My mom still hold up in Florida cheering up from my Dad dying. She's like the most over the top hypochondriac ever and she tells me "Just got back from getting the AC in my car fixed."

Crazy out there

Sorry to hear about your father.

#1533 4 years ago

I would love to see this:

-Stay home to flatten the curve
-At some point the majority will come into contact with this
-The majority will survive this
-Take extra precautions if you are over 60 and or have an underlying condition
-Institute this https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/2733855-how-did-germany-limit-unemployment-in-the-recession
-Institute a *temporary* social welfare program for everyone. This should end with vaccine
-Continue school lunch assistance
-make low interest loans available based on need. Remove all credit requirements and have government back the loans. Never going to happen, but this is my post so I am adding it.
-Give daily updates on treatments and vaccine
-Explain in detail how the virus is expected to contract and possibly expand again
-Reassure the supply line is intact
-Test everyone
-Bail out airline industry. This is critical infrastructure
-Dr. Fauci at almost 80 needs a TV show after this
-Explain that everything that is happening that no one had a plan for this. No one knew how to handle this. Get all political folks on the same page and stop pointing fingers. This applies to both sides.
-Talk daily about best efforts and best practices to beat the virus
-Millennials stay home even if they don’t see the need to
-Develop a free video conferencing platform for communication and education platform for children
-Stay 6 feet away from others
-Go outside and take a deep breath

We have a year to deal with this. This is the new norm. Numbers should go down during summer. Hopefully vaccine early next year. Everyone needs to get used to it. Top of the fear curve this week and hopefully acceptance soon. We need acceptance and confidence to restore some normalcy. I get that it is scary, but this can’t be allowed to conquer all.

#1534 4 years ago

At some point, the world leaders are opting to exchange lives in all this.

Leave things be and lots of mainly older population die.
Enforce everything they are doing and lots of mainly younger people die.
Hopefully they find the middle ground and things can return to a new normal while mitigating the deaths of the majority.

The choice appears to have been made already and the financial trajectory is clear for many individuals. The ramifications will be more total deaths is my best guess, but they will happen in more extreme ways and feel like isolated 'instances' to many.

My only hope is that this brings forth the real social revolution we have been needing for so long.

Imagine a world right now where we had invested even a fraction of military spending on more healthcare.

#1535 4 years ago

Norway goes right to the jugular!

(Image deleted by mod team, see correct statement next page)

#1536 4 years ago

According to the Washington Post, the VA changed its mission statement sometime Friday evening. Note the old one at the top and the new one below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/03/16/va-fourth-mission-website/

ms (resized).PNGms (resized).PNG

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Norway goes right to the jugular![quoted image]

It’s so funny, that for all the “tremendous, amazing, tremendous, terrific, frankly” qualities of the USA, the rest of the world sees us as a third world country. Sad!

#1538 4 years ago

A great deal of the fear, is inherit in our nature.

Stand in your first Earthquake, and many crumble in fear...something they would never expect.
For 95% of America, they are not chronically ill. You get sick, you get better. Break a bone, you get better.
When your life takes you to mortality....Cancer, heart attack, that spot buried inside wakes up, and mortality is beyond description for others to have full empathy. But for most, we get better.
Now Chronically ill, go to bed sometimes, is this the last night? What about my family?
This step of mortality is the worst. I cannot imagine even trying to share.
So for those with a rate that shows 10%-20% mortality, it is scary as shit. and that
"fear" can never fully be grasped, by someone who has never experienced it.

In that regard, empathy, even if just a bit, with understanding on how it affects others will go a long way
in helping all of us, get through this.

I personally am fine, but have many around me freaking out! Moms, Sick Brothers....Wife..

#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Who-Dey is my top player of the week

Now i know we are in trouble if a Bengal, albeit the mascot, has been nominated for player recognition. I think that's one of the signs from revelations. The apocalypse is upon us.

#1540 4 years ago

COVID19 worldwide pestilence. The forth horseman in the book of Revelation

#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

They live in California.

Wow! What you're going through is almost exactly the same scenario that I'm currently dealing with. I hope everything goes well for you.
I also had to read my parents the riot act yesterday because they really weren't understanding their level of risk. Between the cancer and diabetes, they are prime candidates to be victims.

#1542 4 years ago

We might have a Washington State type situation coming:

Colorado’s first death was an 80 year old lady from the Springs area. Before knowing she was “really” sick she attended a Bridge tournament down there with 284 people of the same demographic. 1 person has already tested positive. They are trying to track down all of them.

“An alert has been issued for anyone who played at the Colorado Bridge Center in El Paso County between February 27 and March 3 - but especially in a tournament on February 29 and March 1 - to contact officials over fears they might be infected.
At least one person who attended the center has already tested positive for the virus, while two more have been hospitalized with symptoms.

John Dukellis, a director of the center who is self-isolating over fears he may have the illness, said at least 284 people - 98 per cent of whom are over the age of 60 - attended the tournmanet and are now at risk.
'This group is going to be hard hit,' Dukellis told The Denver Post. 'This is just the beginning.'
It is thought the woman had some symptoms at the time she attended the tournament, but not ones that she was concerned about.”

#1543 4 years ago

Watched Peak Prosperity video about the exponential x10 factor, chart shows the cases multiplying by x10 every 14-15 days. If this trend holds we could be at 1 billion cases by middle of May. Scary if it holds.

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Norway goes right to the jugular![quoted image]

Fake.
Conveniently and strategically edited to remove parts and combine two sentences.
The Norwegians are far more diplomatic than that.

What they were stating is that we don’t have proper public transit like Europe. For instance the train system in Europe that can get you to the airport.
100% correct as most European cities have train systems that go to the airport.

Here is the actual statement
86D4158F-CC0A-4AF8-9249-98965875D0F9 (resized).png86D4158F-CC0A-4AF8-9249-98965875D0F9 (resized).png

#1545 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And then what happens is we all look for his pinside name and the check out his collection, and wish we were closer.

Bold move Cotton

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Fake.
Conveniently ands strategically edited to remove parts and combine two sentences.
The Norwegians a far more diplomatic than that.
What they were stating is that we don’t have proper public transit like Europe. For instance the train system in Europe that can get you to the airport. 100% correct as most European cities have train systems that go to the airport.
Here is the actual statement
[quoted image]

but...but....it was reported on Fox news!

#1547 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

but...but....it was reported on Fox news!

I saw that posted on another forum yesterday and thought to myself “there is no way in hell the Norweigians issued that statement”. They are some of the nicest, most polite people I have ever met and very diplomatic. So I went direct to their website and fact checked it. The photo I posted is a screenshot I grabbed.

This is a big problem righ now with the spread of incorrect information. It’s confusting the issues and a lot of people don’t know what to take as fact.

Not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation. Just stating the Norwegians never said that.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Fake.
[quoted image]

Good catch Coindork!! Thanks for the truth.

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Good catch Coindork!! Thanks for the truth.

“The truth” hardly changes anything.

The developed world looks at USA and sees a partially developed country with poor infrastructure, and they are correct.

This “Chinese virus” is exposing the lie of “American exceptionalism” and we should all be embarrassed.

#1550 4 years ago

A trillion dollars coming for healthcare....for 3 years, this has been something unneeded, and a waste.
NOW, its important.....hmmm....

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 47.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance/page/31?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.