(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 47.
#101 4 years ago

Yeah, the economy is toast...they will have to do a stimulus like Bush did when he sent every taxpayer $600? or whatever.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Man, I was thinking we were weeks away from anything as nutty as school closings. Bam! Literally out of the blue on our doorstep...

There is nothing going on around here—-yet. All is normal or seems to be. No masks. No runs on the stores. Your experience shows how fast it can change.

I need to start buying some dry goods and can goods. For milk, I guess I’ll be finding out what powdered milk is like.

#103 4 years ago

Shelf stable milk isn’t too bad. Always have a bunch since we put it in the kids lunches.

Better than that powder junk. Bleh.

#104 4 years ago

Dunno about you guys over there but in the UK toilet roll, hand sanitiser and the predictable stuff like long life milk, rice, pasta, etc is just disappearing from supermarkets already, and we have like 160 or so cases.

When this thing really takes off it’s going to be carnage.

#105 4 years ago

For all the operators out there... is anyone posting signs at their arcades providing info about your cleaning and disinfectant procedures for the machines? We're cleaning and disinfecting every 8-12 hours of operation but I've not posted any additional signage. If any of the operators on the board aren't routinely disinfecting their machines to help protect their customers health and well-being... why not???

#106 4 years ago

Amid a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is encouraging older people and people with severe chronic medical conditions to "stay at home as much as possible."

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Yeah, the economy is toast...they will have to do a stimulus like Bush did when he sent every taxpayer $600? or whatever.

That was under Oblabla's administration.

#108 4 years ago

President Bush on Wednesday signed the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, calling it a "booster shot" for the American economy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Stimulus_Act_of_2008

Maybe you’re thinking of automotive bailout?

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from GGBGROUP:

For all the operators out there... is anyone posting signs at their arcades providing info about your cleaning and disinfectant procedures for the machines? We're cleaning and disinfecting every 8-12 hours of operation but I've not posted any additional signage. If any of the operators on the board aren't routinely disinfecting their machines to help protect their customers health and well-being... why not???

It makes them liable for damages if someone gets sick at their Facility. It doesn't work, you must assume every time someone uses the machine it becomes contaminated. The argument (if someone gets sick) is that the machine was not cleaned properly.
The best thing to do would require a waiver to play.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

President Bush on Wednesday signed the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, calling it a "booster shot" for the American economy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Stimulus_Act_of_2008
Maybe you’re thinking of automotive bailout?

Read through it and I could of swore it was out under the 2009 administration.

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

More
Read through it and I could of swore it was out under the 2009 administration.

Were you a taxpayer at that time? Everyone remembers Bush sending out the $300 and $600 checks.

Anyway, the economy is going to tank and nothing spends like money. I had my doubts when Bush did it but studies since have shown people actually used the cash and it had a temporary boost effect. I’m thinking we’ll need that even more pretty soon.

#112 4 years ago

I know I could use a few thousand millions of other peoples money!

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I know I could use a few thousand millions of other peoples money!

(edited)

#114 4 years ago

The OP belongs over on RGP where people will listen.

#115 4 years ago

CDC says "older adults" should "stay at home as much as possible".

The CDC guidance comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds.
Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University professor and longtime adviser to the CDC, said these two groups should consider avoiding activities such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services.
People in these two groups "should strongly consider not doing these activities at this juncture," Schaffner said.
"This ought to be top of mind for people over 60, and those with underlying health problems, such as heart or lung disease, diabetes, or compromised immune systems," Schaffner added. "The single most important thing you can do to avoid the virus is reduce your face to face contact with people."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/health/coronavirus-older-people-social-distancing/index.html

People at Higher Risk for COVID-19 Complications

• Stay at home as much as possible.
  • Make sure you have access to several weeks of medications and supplies in case you need to stay home for prolonged periods of time.
  • When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often.
  • Avoid crowds.

Older adults and people who have severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease seem to be at higher risk for more serious COVID-19 illness. Early data suggest older people are twice as likely to have serious COVID-19 illness.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

#116 4 years ago

The elderly also shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Early data suggest older people are twice as likely to have serious COVID-19 illness.

Wonder what final numbers will look like. I am seeing several deaths of people in their 50’s reported from this, which I had not considered older...

#118 4 years ago
CB824473-46D6-4EBC-9FB4-784E96429B0B (resized).jpegCB824473-46D6-4EBC-9FB4-784E96429B0B (resized).jpeg
#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image]

The CDC recommendation on hand-washing:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, or having been in a public place.
  • If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
  • To the extent possible, avoid touching high-touch surfaces in public places – elevator buttons, door handles, handrails, handshaking with people, etc. Use a tissue or your sleeve to cover your hand or finger if you must touch something.
  • Wash your hands after touching surfaces in public places.
  • Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes, etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html#get-ready-now

Wash your handsWash your hands

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

The elderly also shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

senior_woman_using_computer_MON142089 (resized).jpgsenior_woman_using_computer_MON142089 (resized).jpg

From the results of the present study, it is evident that the use of new technologies by the elderly population significantly contributes to a better quality of life, improving parameters of daily living such as transportation facilitation, communication and participation in social life.

http://www.hsj.gr/medicine/the-use-of-technology-by-the-elderly.php?aid=3614

#121 4 years ago

Where did the more recent, concerning contagious illnesses originate?

#122 4 years ago

I came across a good article on COVID-19 and how to safeguard against this virus....................

The author is James Robb, MD UC San Diego.
—-
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus.

Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! JimJames Robb, MD FCAP

#123 4 years ago

Where does seasonal flu typically originate?

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus.
Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! JimJames Robb, MD FCAP

Interesting. I've read about zinc lozenges in the past, and know that zinc is a common ingredient in OTC cold "supplements", but didn't think about them until you posted that. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the stores still have any in stock?

Zinc for colds: The final word?
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/zinc-for-colds/faq-20057769

In general terms, research suggests that zinc may be able to inhibit the spread of some viral infections, but the question remains scientifically unsettled. A 2010 study using cell cultures published in PLOS One found evidence that increasing intracellular zinc concentrations “can efficiently impair the replication of a variety of RNA viruses” including coronaviruses. According to the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, “trials conducted in high-income countries since 1984 investigating the role of zinc for the common cold symptoms have had mixed results.” The common cold is caused by a virus also classified as a coronavirus.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/zinc-lozenges-coronavirus/

#125 4 years ago

This whole corona virus is a bunch of bullshit.What ever happened to the H1N1,H1N2,West Nile virus,swine flu virus??? Mysteriously You don’t hear anything thing about that anymore.Makes you wonder huh? Always a way for big corporations and big Pharma to make money sending people into panic mode.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

This whole corona virus is a bunch of bullshit.

What part? How so?

#127 4 years ago

Do you have the Coronavirus? Are you interested in learning more about the Coronavirus? Did you know that since the beginning of time more people in the US have died from shark attacks than have died from the Coronavirus? Are you wondering if N95 respirators will be a good substitute for wiping your butt when you run out of toilet paper? Would you like assistance in setting up a gofundme page to pay for your Coronavirus medical bills?
Please no politics, religion or science.
Got any stock tips?
[quoted image]

Stock tips?? It seems to me you want to cash in on this BS than worrying about people’s health

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What part? How so?

Very simple look at were they say the outbreak happened in China.Its part of China where majority of our ingredients for medication comes from to the U.S.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

This whole corona virus is a bunch of bullshit.What ever happened to the H1N1,H1N2,West Nile virus,swine flu virus??? Mysteriously You don’t hear anything thing about that anymore.Makes you wonder huh? Always a way for big corporations and big Pharma to make money sending people into panic mode.

I have a sad feeling that there is going to be a disproportionate affect on those who get their news from the scientists and those who get their news from conspiracy sites, self-proclaimed "fair & balanced" news outlets and Dr. Hewhoshallnotbenamed.

17173271916_143029c041 (resized).jpg17173271916_143029c041 (resized).jpg

#130 4 years ago

Are you concerned? It was bullshit 1 post ago?

Quoted from pinmike:

It seems to me you want to cash in on this BS than worrying about people’s health

#131 4 years ago

I have a sad feeling that there is going to be a disproportionate affect on those who get their news from the scientists and those who get their news from conspiracy sites, Fox News and Dr. Trump.[quoted image]

Dr.Trump I thought you said in your first post not politics or religion right?

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Very simple look at were they say the outbreak happened in China.Its part of China where majority of our ingredients for medication comes from to the U.S.

So, let me get this straight, the pandemic was created on purpose to cause a drug shortage and drive up prices?

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Are you concerned? It was bullshit 1 post ago?

I’m not concerned at all this is the same shit tactics they used during every outbreak

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Stock tips?? It seems to me you want to cash in on this BS than worrying about people’s health

I'm actively trading zero stocks at the current moment.

I have a 401K (because pensions are largely a thing of the past), that has a % of it's funds allocated to stocks, but I mostly do not read the monthly statements. It will be quite some time before I'm regularly drawing funds from it. Hopefully it hasn't all been accounted for by "management fees".

#135 4 years ago

Prices for drugs that don’t do anything to treat or cure covid?

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

So, let me get this straight, the pandemic was created on purpose to cause a drug shortage and drive up prices?

Exactly!!! That’s why the OP is asking for stock tips

#137 4 years ago

pinmike if it helps, the original post was a riff on why he got ejected from the other thread and what the trolls that remain keep on insisting we talk about.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

shit tactics they used during every outbreak

Take that to it’s logical end. What how why? Detailed.

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

That’s why the OP is asking for stock tips

He was joking

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Prices for drugs that don’t do anything to treat or cure covid?

Oh they will have something trust me big Pharma always has a major payday solution

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Dr.Trump I thought you said in your first post not politics or religion right?

My bad.

I'll edit it.

#142 4 years ago

The virus has no cure, no vaccine, no drug treatment. The economy will tank, the vaccine will be ready in a year or 2 at earliest. How does this benefit anyone?

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

pinmike if it helps, the original post was a riff on why he got ejected from the other thread and what the trolls that remain keep on insisting we talk about.

Oh he was ejected huh,that I didn’t know thanks for the heads up buddy

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Are you suggesting that China orchestrated this?

That they released a virus into their cities, quarantined millions and risked a monumental slowdown to their economy, all so that US pharmaceutical companies could inflate their profits?

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

The virus has no cure, no vaccine, no drug treatment. The economy will tank, the vaccine will be ready in a year or 2 at earliest. How does this benefit anyone?

They will have something very soon you watch,They need to stay in panic mode for just a bit longer. Antibiotic B-17 will cure anything but FDA will not give to people.

#146 4 years ago

I don’t think so,look at people lining up stocking up on water,toilet paper ect.

#147 4 years ago

Are you suggesting that China orchestrated this?
That they released a virus into their cities, quarantined millions and risked a monumental slowdown to their economy, all so that US pharmaceutical companies could inflate their profits?

Big Pharma has a hand in this.Like I said before is it a coincidence the outbreak started where majority of the drug ingredients come from?

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

They will have something very soon you watch,

I hope so but still think it’s impossible that this was done with a long game profit motive.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Why would China care about temporarily boosting the stock prices / profits of US Pharma companies?

I shudder at the thought of such a suggestion, but here's a scarier and much more sinister motive:

Cohn’s words highlight a security concern associated with pharmaceuticals from China. As Rosemary Gibson noted in her testimony, centralization of the global supply chain of medicines in a single country makes it vulnerable to interruption, “whether by mistake or design.” If we are dependent on China for thousands of ingredients and raw materials to make our medicine, China could use this dependence as a weapon against us. While the Department of Defense only purchases a small quantity of finished pharmaceuticals from China, about 80 percent of the active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) used to make drugs in the United States are said to come from China and other countries like India.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/us-dependence-pharmaceutical-products-china

Now, I personally think leaders in any country would have to be absolutely MAD to do something that nefarious (it sounds like the plot of a James Bond movie), and the current scientific consensus is that the virus is from a wet market in Wuhan. (See some of the earlier Youtube videos I posted on the origination of viruses in birds, bats, etc).

I seriously do hope that we as a country take a much more serious look at our dependence on foreign companies and a few large corporations for the production of critical medication and our food supply in general. I give Dr. Hewhoshallnotbenamed credit, for beating heavily and repeatedly on that drum.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

They will have something very soon you watch,They need to stay in panic mode for just a bit longer. Antibiotic B-17 will cure anything but FDA will not give to people.

What's your timeline for "very soon"?

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 47.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.