(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 47.
#51 4 years ago

A current theory is that there are multiple (2) strains of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

New research from China suggests there may be two distinct strains of SARS-CoV-2 spreading - and one of the strains may be significantly more deadly. The WHO is now estimating that the mortality rate from the coronavirus epidemic is 3.4% - higher than previously thought. The CDC has released an official list of effective cleaning agents for the novel coronavirus.

#52 4 years ago

Im going to go home and get me some vit deee

#53 4 years ago

I just got back to work from having the flu. Now I can fart without fear. When I'm on the elevator with people, I purposely cough.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

...don’t believe the hype

Believe the dog wearing the funny hat instead!

#55 4 years ago

Scare tactics. Government, media and pharmaceutical companies pushing their agenda. Do your own research. Wash your hands. And stop freaking out. The only reason this is worry some is that it can be transfered from humans to animals. Possibly affecting our food supply.
Screenshot_20200305_141742_com.android.chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200305_141742_com.android.chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200305_141820_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200305_141820_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200305_142745_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200305_142745_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox (resized).jpg

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Do your own research.

I have, and in the regular flu thread we learned that no one dies from the flu, so your link saying 12,000 people have died is obviously wrong. Take your scare tactics somewhere else!

#57 4 years ago

Can the USA Legally Quarantine the Coronavirus?

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Only when you are banned from the other thread.

treat it as if the OP was involuntarily self quarantined.

#59 4 years ago

COVID-19 (Pro aka "S") seems like a less virulent and less deadly version of COVID-19 (SLE aka "S").

Here's to hoping that COVID-19 Pro/S is what made it the US.

COVID-19 Mutation and Evolution

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463

Coronavirus has evolved, Peking (Beijing) University's School of Life Sciences and the Institute Pasteur of Shanghai

The SARS-CoV-2 epidemic started in late December 2019 in Wuhan, China, and has since impacted a large portion of China and raised major global concern. Herein, we investigated the extent of molecular divergence between SARS-CoV-2 and other related coronaviruses. Although we found only 4% variability in genomic nucleotides between SARS-CoV-2 and a bat SARS-related coronavirus (SARSr-CoV; RaTG13), the difference at neutral sites was 17%, suggesting the divergence between the two viruses is much larger than previously estimated. Our results suggest that the development of new variations in functional sites in the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the spike seen in SARS-CoV-2 and viruses from pangolin SARSr-CoVs are likely caused by mutations and natural selection besides recombination. Population genetic analyses of 103 SARS-CoV-2 genomes indicated that these viruses evolved into two major types (designated L and S), that are well defined by two different SNPs that show nearly complete linkage across the viral strains sequenced to date. Although the L type (∼70%) is more prevalent than the S type (∼30%), the S type was found to be the ancestral version. Whereas the L type was more prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan, the frequency of the L type decreased after early January 2020. Human intervention may have placed more severe selective pressure on the L type, which might be more aggressive and spread more quickly. On the other hand, the S type, which is evolutionarily older and less aggressive, might have increased in relative frequency due to relatively weaker selective pressure. These findings strongly support an urgent need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

#60 4 years ago

It just needs to mutate one more time and it can follow the tried and true Stern model to achieve global domination.

#61 4 years ago

Between corona virus and the us election comedy abounds.
The line between fact and fiction has been totally erased in the "information age".

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Between corona virus and the us election comedy abounds.
The line between fact and fiction has been totally erased in the "information age".

Coronavirus outbreak may have unleashed panic buying of Hostess Twinkies and Ding Dongs

2290f51cccdbbc53031d90e6d72cfaf0 (resized).jpeg2290f51cccdbbc53031d90e6d72cfaf0 (resized).jpeg
#63 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

treat it as if the OP was involuntarily self quarantined.

Should be a new member coming soon.

#64 4 years ago

I’ve been eating the used gum that’s stuck under tables for years now, I have a Herculean immune system now. No worries here.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’ve been eating the used gum that’s stuck under tables for years now, I have a Herculean immune system now. No worries here.

Red ginseng sugar-free gum!?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3879333/

download (1) (resized).jpegdownload (1) (resized).jpeg
#67 4 years ago

Anyone find out what happened to NintenBear?

#68 4 years ago

I know the official statement is that masks are not helpful and potentially harmful, but if you managed to score some...

Let's watch a few instructional videos made for nurses dealing with patients with upper respiratory infections.

Putting them on correctly doesn't seem like it's too difficult, does it? It's not like you're doing a playfield swap.

#69 4 years ago

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/preparing-for-coronavirus-to-strike-the-u-s/

Preparing for the almost inevitable global spread of this virus, now dubbed COVID-19, is one of the most pro-social, altruistic things you can do in response to potential disruptions of this kind.

We should prepare, not because we may feel personally at risk, but so that we can help lessen the risk for everyone. We should prepare not because we are facing a doomsday scenario out of our control, but because we can alter every aspect of this risk we face as a society.

That’s right, you should prepare because your neighbors need you to prepare—especially your elderly neighbors, your neighbors who work at hospitals, your neighbors with chronic illnesses, and your neighbors who may not have the means or the time to prepare because of lack of resources or time.

Great article, that everyone should read, about "flattening the epidemic curve".

#70 4 years ago

Upvoted and moderated.
Draining thread.

#71 4 years ago

Well, shut my mouth. Another thread on the virus. I think I'll lurk for awhile.

#72 4 years ago

This is the guy who's responsible for the "40% to 70% infection" mathematical projection.

Marc Lipsitch
Infectious disease epidemiologist and microbiologist, aspirational barista.
https://twitter.com/mlipsitch

Marc's Twitter account linked to a good site with scientific/medical articles:

Experts envision two scenarios if the new coronavirus isn’t contained

Who is getting sick, and how sick? A breakdown of coronavirus risk by demographic factors

We’re learning a lot about the coronavirus. It will help us assess risk

Susan Desmond-Hellmann: The coronavirus is alarming. Here’s why you should not panic

#74 4 years ago

Good news from Asia, that number of new cases from China and South Korea are declining.

Also some interesting before/after pictures from the Vatican City and Mecca, that show how the public's reaction is effecting tourism.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, shut my mouth. Another thread on the virus. I think I'll lurk for awhile.

This is now my go to for reasons I can’t mention. I am going to change my location to Texas and see what happens.

#76 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200306_153039 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200306_153039 (resized).jpg
#77 4 years ago

More fear being manufactured...

corona_bs (resized).PNGcorona_bs (resized).PNG
#78 4 years ago

Check back in a year or so all of the nothing to be concerned about crowd. I hope you’re right!

I wonder why the prez signed a 8.5 billion dollar aid package for Coronavirus?

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

[quoted image]

This is pretty lazy and stupid. NONE of those things on this dumb list was advertised as GOING TO KILL US ALL (really?! The BP spill was the best they could come up with for 2010? I mean, just leave that year blank if it's best you can do. Same with 2008, 2000, 2001, 2013...). And I haven't heard anybody suggest that THIS is GOING TO KILL US ALL.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

[quoted image]

An important event was absent from your list:

9/11/2001 - 2,996 deaths

Which resulted in daily color-coded threat levels and completely revamped our global safety precautions for airline travel to this day.

Not to mention the longest running war in US history which has cost $900 billion so far.

If only we could have had some of you level-headed statisticians around to remind us that the seasonal flu kills between 12,000 – 61,000 a year.

#81 4 years ago

It's only going to kill the unimportant people. Don't worry CEO's are safe.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's only going to kill the unimportant people. Don't worry CEO's are safe.

Funny you mention CEO's... a record number have resigned their posts in the last 18 months. Maybe they know something we don't?

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

An important event was conveniently absent from your list?
9/11/2001 - 2,996 deaths
Which resulted in daily color-coded threat levels and completely revamped our global safety precautions for airline travel to this day.
Not to mention the longest running war in US history which has cost $900 billion so far.
If only we could have had some of you level-headed statisticians around to remind us that the seasonal flu kills between 12,000 – 61,000 a year.

I forgot to mention phenomena kills around 1.4 million per year. 50,000 in average in the US. And in 2016 it killed 3 million + people worldwide.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I forgot to mention phenomena kills around 1.4 million per year. 50,000 in average in the US. And in 2016 it killed 3 million + people worldwide.

Phenomena = pneumonia?

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is pretty lazy and stupid. NONE of those things on this dumb list was advertised as GOING TO KILL US ALL (really?! The BP spill was the best they could come up with for 2010? I mean, just leave that year blank if it's best you can do. Same with 2008, 2000, 2001, 2013...). And I haven't heard anybody suggest that THIS is GOING TO KILL US ALL.

Oh, I see you haven't heard. As It turns out, the brain trust on Pinside believes that if you show any level of common sense towards this disease, you are a fear monger.
So you can take your logic and your facts and flush them along with your antibacterial wipes, because they have no place on here.

#87 4 years ago

I thought the market would be up today. I was wrong. But it did have a nice late day recovery. That would suggest that Monday might a a good up day, but the virus is changing faster than all who are trying to chase it with a fix.

I took a look at Boeing's stock chart. Boeing has had its share of problems with the grounding of the 737 Max a year ago. And the recent news suggests Boeing will be able to put the Max back in the air soon. But the virus is a new wrinkle for this company. Airline companies are getting hit hard; Demand is through the floor; Flights are being cut back; Opec can't get a handle on crude prices and wants to cut production but one Opec partner is being difficult. I am enjoying the cheap gas but I hope I am not shooting my self in the foot by saying that.

Boeing is the largest export company in the U.S. and contributes much to the U.S. balance of payments. The airliners are getting hit hard and it look like the losses are going to be huge. If the airlines are not making any money, how will they fund their new plane purchases from Boeing? This virus action could throw the entire airline industry for a loop. And Boeing, IMO, will not escape.

My town is the aircraft town. Spirit makes a large part of the 737 fuselages. Spirit finally had to lay off 2800 people about 6 weeks ago because of the Max grounding and has now been thinking of firing production back up just so the lay offs don't leave town for another job. The layoffs have affected many local small suppliers that also support out local aircraft industry. Boeing makes a lot of jobs in Kansas and all kinds of layoff help and training programs, at state level, are being put in place.

Here is Boeing's 5 year stock chart. It is not looking good for the home team. From a technical chart perspective it is very important that Boeing can hold this price of $255.00.

If the stock breaks that red line going across the chart at $257.00 then the next stop is $ 120.00. The good thing in this chart is this has been a high volume sell off so maybe the weak sellers are out of the way and some strong buyers step on Monday and start buying. If no buyers, look out below.

Here is an article from last year when the Max was grounded to give you all some perspective of how much of the Dow's and S&P 500s action is made up of Boeing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/11/boeing-alone-will-cost-the-dow-more-than-200-points-as-stock-heads-for-big-decline.html

Here is an article that is a little more recent.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-stocks-graphic/dow-heavyweight-boeing-ending-strong-decade-with-whimper-idUSKBN1YL275

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.32.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.32.29 PM (resized).png

It also has been discussed the that Apple is getting back to work in China. Well, good for China; Good for Apple. But Boeing builds its products in the states and creates a lot of jobs in this country. If this virus continues and knocks the airline industry for a loop, then Boeing will not escape and a lot of jobs will be disappearing for a while.

Y'all have a good weekend.

#88 4 years ago

Hard to watch if you have loved ones in a healthcare facility.

Family of Life Care Center residents speak out on coronavirus

Family of residents at the Life Care Center in Kirkland speak with the media. A majority of the confirmed coronavirus cases in King County are connected to the nursing home.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I took a look at Boeing's stock chart...

I hope you're wrong about Boeing, and thanks by the way for the local perspective. People's fears about the virus will pull the brakes on the whole economy for ... I dunno, six months? I can see the airlines bearing a lot of that, and then all the effects on their suppliers. As much as that will hurt Boeing, I feel that they've done far more to hurt themselves, destroying decades of reputation as the premiere international manufacturer with poor management and/or excessive cost cutting.

#90 4 years ago

Louisville Kentucky has its first case and they already declared emergency. Arcade show is there this weekend.

#91 4 years ago

Ok. Couple days ago, none in Colorado...then some guy up skiing that flew in from Italy, then a guy from a cruise, then a lady from another cruise...NOW a parent from the school near my kid’s school, they closed early today...that parents kids hang with a kid from my kids school...JACKPOT.

From none to less than a Kevin Bacon away from my family. WTF?

#92 4 years ago

Mildly freaking out.

#93 4 years ago

Mainly because I am picturing the schools closed and my kids all being home for god knows how long...that and a bunch of kid’s grandparents getting seriously ill

#94 4 years ago

Need soup and bullets!

#95 4 years ago

Pa now has 2 cases. Both people have been out in public before realizing they could have it.
I need to get more supplies.
It only takes one day to wipe out all the basic supplies from a grocery store. They do not keep large supplies of back stock since we get deliveries every day. If something happens that our main supplier can't deliver by the next day. The rest of the store will be cleaned out.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Mainly because I am picturing the schools closed and my kids all being home for god knows how long...that and a bunch of kid’s grandparents getting seriously ill

Oh, I see. Means you get to keep it all in the family

#97 4 years ago

Things are heating up.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#98 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Means you get to keep it all in the family

Man, I was thinking we were weeks away from anything as nutty as school closings. Bam! Literally out of the blue on our doorstep...

#99 4 years ago

Wait until they start testing. Old ebola czar was saying job one would be testing every pneumonia patient like yesterday...healthcare workers probably exposed now.

#100 4 years ago

Crazy Levi mentioned somewhere else that lobster has taken a dive to $8.00 lb. since the Chinese market disappeared.

The other side of that coin? The lobsterman. They will starve at those kinds of prices. And then the fishing boats and all of the boat gear dealers will take a hit. Then the boat gas. Then the dock/slip owners.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 47.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance/page/2?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.