(Topic ID: 263287)

COVID-19 Members Club, Come in but keep your distance!

By okayestpinballer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,313 posts
  • 224 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A6145D1-AD21-472F-ABC2-1CDDD8A01C62 (resized).jpeg
flu2 (resized).JPG
flu1 (resized).JPG
755qpRM (resized).png
gen_x_memes_5 (resized).png
gen-x-millennials (resized).png
0D6E4FDD-A256-47B9-9BD1-C9256FA8A2A6.gif
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 5.51.26 PM (resized).png
image001_583251153435365 (resized).png
5be9412ba6d6a3b6e74fde95da206f403434b2e312118dc657a72efd40641174 (resized).jpg
957BCA7B-108A-4FAD-A5A6-AFA90D051F90 (resized).jpeg
AB0B25A7-49CF-41CE-B200-8CC45E6927E8 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
7EDDF865-6E2F-4163-AF7F-5036978F985B (resized).jpeg
IMG_0161 (resized).PNG
DSCN6702 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 47.
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Today my kids asked me for an allowance in toilet paper figuring it’s worth more than US currency right now.

What’s the going rate on 10 and 14 year old allowances? Maybe 40 and 200 sheet of tp per week.

#1052 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can’t enforce it but you can mandate it.
We’ll see how it works out in Tea Neck:
6:51 p.m. NJ mayor says town is 'ground zero,' asks residents to self-quarantine
Mohammed Hameeduddin, the mayor of Teaneck, New Jersey, told ABC News that he is requesting all residents self-quarantine and only leave their homes for food and medicine.
Hameeduddin said that his town is "ground zero" for the infections in the state. At the moment, Teaneck has 18 cases of COVID-19, but he believes people have been walking around with the virus for the past four weeks.
In coordination with the county emergency management and executive, the decision was made to close all schools, municipal buildings, parks and other places people can congregate.
The mayor said that the town's more than 41,000 residents should stay home, avoid interaction and assume that if they were to leave that they would become infected.

I don't disagree but you cant enforce it. Any one one of those 41000 residents will leave to get supplies. There is no way to enforce it.

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What’s the going rate on 10 and 14 year old allowances? Maybe 40 and 200 sheet of tp per week.

I would imagine the exchange rate fluctuates with the market. I thought it was pretty funny that they mentioned it.

A97D977C-60C7-44E7-8EE7-5D57982E0ED2 (resized).jpegA97D977C-60C7-44E7-8EE7-5D57982E0ED2 (resized).jpeg
#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

There is no way to enforce

In Italy, they put cops around town and give a warning/ticket/jail...they haven’t put any in jail yet

#1055 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

In Italy, they put cops around town and give a warning/ticket/jail...they haven’t put any in jail yet

And do you really want that here in the US??
I went out to pick up some supplies this evening. All the roads were deserted. Bars and restaurants only had a few cars in parking lot. Pretty much everyone around here is already self quarantining themselves. Only places I saw more then a handful of people were grocery stores and gas stations.

#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My takeaway over the last few days is that we should be in an Italy style lockdown NOW, not in 2 weeks.

Makes sense.

Not only does it short circuit the spread, but 2-3 weeks of total lockdown is infinitely better than months of uncertainty.

#1057 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Makes sense.
Not only does it short circuit the spread, but 2-3 weeks of total lockdown is infinitely better than months of uncertainty.

This is going to take a long time to run its course so get ready for the long haul.

#1058 4 years ago

What are the room rates like at Disney World now? If you catch this bad boy you want to get down to Florida post haste, hang out in the Disney Springs or whatnot if you can crawl out of bed. It's enervating, but you can hop 3 parks per day with the Springs on top with coronavirus. Should be much easier to take it relaxed without having to make value out of those park admissions. Warm weather prevents it from turning into viral pneumonia, or will help. Just speaking from personal experience, having survived viral pneumonia twice in winter ages ago and avoided it a third time while suffering COVID-19 (undiagnosed) at Disney World the whole week and another week after.

#1059 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

I don't disagree but you cant enforce it. Any one one of those 41000 residents will leave to get supplies. There is no way to enforce it.

It would help. Yes of course you’ll get
Stragglers but it’s will vastly
Reduce the number of people outside. Especially if almost everything is closed too.

#1060 4 years ago

Dinner Table Debate tonight was why was there a run on Meat that started Friday, or this week mostly, weeks later than Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, etc...

The most agreed upon, was it was a Hoax, that became a National Emergency.....
Some People eat more Meat?

#1061 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

What are the room rates like at Disney World now? If you catch this bad boy you want to get down to Florida post haste, hang out in the Disney Springs or whatnot if you can crawl out of bed. It's enervating, but you can hop 3 parks per day with the Springs on top with coronavirus. Should be much easier to take it relaxed without having to make value out of those park admissions. Warm weather prevents it from turning into viral pneumonia, or will help. Just speaking from personal experience, having survived viral pneumonia twice in winter ages ago and avoided it a third time while suffering COVID-19 (undiagnosed) at Disney World the whole week and another week after.

Disney World is closed.

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Dinner Table Debate tonight was why was there a run on Meat that started Friday, or this week mostly, weeks later than Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, etc...
The most agreed upon, was it was a Hoax, that became a National Emergency.....
Some People eat more Meat?

Well, we can always eat each other, but there’s just no substitute for toilet paper.

#1063 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Nobody wants any of it anywhere but if people do dumb shit that gets people killed...Put up with some pain for a short time or have shit go to hell for longer.

We had what 2 cases in Colorado last week, now we’re over 100... and that’s with severly limited testing.

This thing is going to blow up big time so prepare for more crazy shit like mandatory shutdowns. It’s not far off.

#1064 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Disney World is closed.

Right, so what are the room rates right now? Disneyland has 4 resorts that will close on Monday, Disney World has what, 26 resorts that will not close? Plus Disney Springs, which will stay open like Downtown Disney will in California.

#1065 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

went out to pick up some supplies this evening. All the roads were deserted.

There was a Post Malone concert at Pepsi Center night before last...people will keep on spreading it if you leave it entirely up to them.

#1066 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

This is going to take a long time to run its course so get ready for the long haul.

No question.

Imo we’ve got 2 options - let it run its course with no restrictions- get it over and done with. Or total shutdown. China went the latter and it appears to have worked.

At the moment in Australia we’re doing neither - just doing the bare minimum hoping it’s going to be ok.

I’ve got Chinese friends who live part time here and part time in China. They’ve been
in Sydney during the worst of the outbreak in China and now they want to go back to China because they believe it’s now safer there. They don’t trust the Australian authorities ability to control it.

But then it’s easier to manage this sort of stuff in a communist country.

#1067 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

let it run its course with no restrictions-

That’s the spike model where hospitals are overwhelmed and they choose who lives and dies. Bad idea.

Here’s an interesting look at a lockdown of USA:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/history/2020/03/60-million-person-coronavirus-lockdown-united-states

#1068 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That’s the spike model where hospitals are overwhelmed and they choose who lives and dies. Bad idea.
Here’s an interesting look at a lockdown of USA:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/history/2020/03/60-million-person-coronavirus-lockdown-united-states

Exactly - obviously that’s not a socially acceptable option. Imo the only other option is a complete “short term” shut down to short circuit the spread. The virus apparently only remains dangerous outside a host for 10 days and is contagious from a host for 14 days.

Lockdown today and everyone who’s got it is no longer contagious after 14 days. Then add the 10 days for the potential deposits outside hosts. 24 days and the virus has been mostly eliminated.

Extend travel bans to countries who don’t shut down, until they do.

I’m no expert, and those numbers may be not completely correct, but the logic remains. And China more or less already proved this is the best model to combat it.

#1069 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

There was a Post Malone concert at Pepsi Center night before last...people will keep on spreading it if you leave it entirely up to them.

It was a Post Malone concert. How bright do you think those people are??
Sorta agree with you. All public gathering places need to be shut down but to go as far as imposing martial law with a mandatory quarantine I would be against that.

Quoted from cooked71:

Exactly - obviously that’s not a socially acceptable option. Imo the only other option is a complete “short term” shut down to short circuit the spread. The virus apparently only remains dangerous outside a host for 10 days and is contagious from a host for 14 days.
Lockdown today and everyone who’s got it is no longer contagious after 14 days. Then add the 10 days for the potential deposits outside hosts. 24 days and the virus has been mostly eliminated.
Extend travel bans to countries who don’t shut down, until they do.
I’m no expert, and those numbers may be not completely correct, but the logic remains. And China more or less already proved this is the best model to combat it.

You still would need to have grocery stores open. People will still shop and can pass the virus around that way. But it would slow it down for a while and give all the known cases and undiscovered cases a chance to recover. The other thing is what about people that are carriers that don't know they have it? How long can these people still be contagious?

#1070 4 years ago

Electric company called up yesterday and said they were going to shut off the power, got the notice in the mail later that day along with the bill they said I was overdue for. Expecting threats from the water company next. After all, have to prevent hand-washing.

#1071 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And China more or less already proved this is the best model to combat it.

China nailed, welded, sealed and blocked the entrance and exit to peoples houses. Food came from family members and friends, or not at all. The Military overwhelmed, knocked out and threw people into the back of trucks. Their Citizens were forced into mass quarantine Units with beds 2 foot apart where the virus could run free, single bathrooms requiring a long hike servicing hundreds of people.
Do you really feel this is the best Model?

#1072 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

All public gathering places need to be shut down but to go as far as imposing martial law with a mandatory quarantine I would be would be against that.

Sounds like pharmacy, grocery, things like that stay open, everything else closed...so “semi-martial law” I guess.

#1073 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No question.
Imo we’ve got 2 options - let it run its course with no restrictions- get it over and done with. Or total shutdown. China went the latter and it appears to have worked.
At the moment in Australia we’re doing neither - just doing the bare minimum hoping it’s going to be ok.
I’ve got Chinese friends who live part time here and part time in China. They’ve been
in Sydney during the worst of the outbreak in China and now they want to go back to China because they believe it’s now safer there. They don’t trust the Australian authorities ability to control it.
But then it’s easier to manage this sort of stuff in a communist country.

China is ok for now but until there is a vaccine or everyone gets it it will just keep coming back. Best case is to keep rates low so the medical system doesn't get too overwhelmed. The level of control in China will probably make it easier though your right.

#1074 4 years ago

So Grocery Store Clerks, Water Plant Operators, Power Plant and Cell Phone providers just became the most essential Employees in the Nation?

#1075 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

So Grocery Store Clerks, Water Plant Operators, Power Plant and Cell Phone providers just became the most essential Employees in the Nation?

Yeah, pretty much.

They all deserve big hazard pay.

#1076 4 years ago

Just keep Sea-Tac airport open for 3 more days so I can get the hell out of here before the lockdown begins! (Toiletpaperless in Seattle)

#1077 4 years ago
Quoted from RSKrouse:

Just keep Sea-Tac airport open for 3 more days so I can get the hell out of here before the lockdown begins! (Toiletpaperless in Seattle)

Three days?

I hope you've secure a long-term place to crash if needed.

#1078 4 years ago

People going to the Airport or using mass Transit are non-mutual. Sorry.

#1079 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Three days?
I hope you've secure a long-term place to crash if needed.

Yeah, I live here. I Have tickets to Phoenix for me and the wife to go visit her sister.

#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Huge want ads from Uber, Grubhub, Pizza delivery, Amazon delivery....

My wife works for the City of Orlando. Today, some elderly employees were told to leave and stay home.
Layoffs at restaurants starting, and head scratching for all the businesses that cater to tourists....
Will they wait? Will they pay, or will they fire everyone for a bit?

#1081 4 years ago

City after city will be shutting it down by the end of next week. Do it now. Pull the bandaid quick, get it over with.

#1082 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Or the most doomed. Not looking forward to going back to work Monday at all. At least the medical field/ first responders have proper PPE. Us grocery employees will be rubbing elbows with every person coming into the store with nothing but latex gloves.

#1083 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Us grocery employees will be rubbing elbows with every person coming into the store with nothing but latex gloves

Too late to install more self checkouts? That’s a bummer.

#1084 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Electric company called up yesterday and said they were going to shut off the power, got the notice in the mail later that day along with the bill they said I was overdue for. Expecting threats from the water company next. After all, have to prevent hand-washing.

Utility companies here announced late in the week that they would be turning back on anyone who had recently had been cut off and that they were going to halt cutting anyone else off for the time being.

#1085 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Or the most doomed. Not looking forward to going back to work Monday at all. At least the medical field/ first responders have proper PPE. Us grocery employees will be rubbing elbows with every person coming into the store with nothing but latex gloves.

At the very least you should be getting OT or hazard pay. Someone should let management know.

#1086 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Many grocery stores in China have their check out people behind a plastic sheet. Almost like a shower curtain.

#1087 4 years ago

Gettin bad in seattle

Screenshot_20200314-210526_CPlus for Craigslist (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200314-210526_CPlus for Craigslist (resized).jpg
#1088 4 years ago

Not bad at all 120 miles away. Watching all the panic

#1089 4 years ago

[quoted image]

Apply cleaning services to butt and cut out the middkeman.

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Utility companies here announced late in the week that they would be turning back on anyone who had recently had been cut off and that they were going to halt cutting anyone else off for the time being.

It seems like they caught wind of that and decided to react opposite here. Could feel them acting unusual though, can feel everyone acting unusual. Fun fact: this is SARS, from an RNA and DNA confirmed standpoint. If you want to call it something else that doesn't call to mind crowning the anti-Christ or other post-apocalyptic predictions. SARS doesn't sell, it got rebranded.

#1091 4 years ago

I will be glad when everyone stops stockpiling and I can get the tad of groceries I need, like 20.00 worth, and not tp.

#1092 4 years ago

Well forget that idea about riding out the illness in Disney World, a TSA worker at MCO just tested positive for the SARS-coronavirus-2-novel-coronavirus-2019-COVID-19 about fifty minutes ago so Twitter already organized the complete demolition of the airport.

#1093 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I went out to pick up some supplies this evening. All the roads were deserted. Bars and restaurants only had a few cars in parking lot. Pretty much everyone around here is already self quarantining themselves. Only places I saw more then a handful of people were grocery stores and gas stations.

I went and got some groceries also tonight (dumb thing to do probably) and there wasnt many people on the roads. The store wasnt very crowded and most of the shelves were pretty empty....no toilet paper of paper towels of course.

The thing that I did notice that was odd was that the bars were packed. I can just picture a bunch of drunk people in there right now laughing and yelling........ahhhhhh F the Coronavirus!!! Lol

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

China nailed, welded, sealed and blocked the entrance and exit to peoples houses. Food came from family members and friends, or not at all. The Military overwhelmed, knocked out and threw people into the back of trucks. Their Citizens were forced into mass quarantine Units with beds 2 foot apart where the virus could run free, single bathrooms requiring a long hike servicing hundreds of people.
Do you really feel this is the best Model?

Sounds like a fun holiday.

Cmon, obviously that’s the extreme measure (assuming it’s true - sounds like a fair bit of right wing conspiracy seasoning to me), but there’s a lot you can do between anarchy and police state.

#1095 4 years ago

The media has to stop feeding this thing.

Today....

A press conference with the president and CEO of the Retail Council of Canada. Says all supply chains are fine and to stop hoarding items. There is enough and stores will continue to be stocked. They were just overwhelmed by panic shopping.
And that's why some essential items are gone.
That speech lasted about 5 min.

Then... The news anchors talk for 30 min about "what if" stores ran out. Then had "experts" on answering and talking about the worse case scenarios.

Way to put the public at ease fuckers.
And then you wonder why people are panic shopping?

The media's behavior and fear mongering is disgusting.

If you're not sick, go to work. If you're sick, or someone in your home is sick stay home. See a dr if it becomes worse than the normal flu.
Otherwise go about your normal business. Stay a bit further away from people. Wash your hands after touching something or wear gloves. It's not that hard.
It's common sense.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/03/14/rest-assured-we-have-plenty-of-food-ontario-shoppers-urged-to-cease-panic-buying-amid-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/2020/3/13/1_4851901.html

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Sounds like a fun holiday.
Cmon, obviously that’s the extreme measure (assuming it’s true - sounds like a fair bit of right wing conspiracy seasoning to me), but there’s a lot you can do between anarchy and police state.

China is way more of a living extreme conspiracy in action than most crazy things you could read about on Pinside without the poster being flayed. You can watch all sorts of crazy videos from people stuck in their houses, they welded a big L-shaped piece of stainless steel to everyone's outward-opening doors so they could just open them enough to get food and supplies. Not the kind of video China lets you post easily though.

The disease you get from "coronavirus" is SARS, a syndrome, like AIDS, that you acquire from a virus (like HIV). Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome or something. It sucks, I coughed so hard that I puked at one point. Didn't turn into viral pneumonia though, thing about a syndrome is all sorts of things come along with it and it can develop into other things. So we're all panicking about SARS. I'm immune. I'm the plague walker. Me and Randall Flagg at the final stand, the Crawling Chaos, the soul of the nuclear chaos known as Azathoth. Didn't have much of an appetite either. Lasts longer than the flu.

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

China is way more of a living extreme conspiracy in action than most crazy things you could read about on Pinside without the poster being flayed. You can watch all sorts of crazy videos from people stuck in their houses, they welded a big L-shaped piece of stainless steel to everyone's outward-opening doors so they could just open them enough to get food and supplies. Not the kind of video China lets you post easily though.

Have you ever heard of those websites or YouTube video channels?
Don't believe what you read or see on the internet. Unless you've witnessed it first hand. Or a reputable place is reporting on it.
Don't feed into the alienation and hysteria.

Again, common sense.

#1098 4 years ago

Our PM just announced all inbound arrivals need to self-quarantine for 14 days and all cruise ships are banned from docking for 30 days. No idea how they police it, but effectively it’s a ban on inbound tourism.

Like NZ, we are fortunate to be an island with easily controlled borders.

#1099 4 years ago

Anyone see the pictures of Chicago O’hare airport last night? All the Americans coming back from overseas at once. The government has been telling everyone to stay away from large groups of people, and then they go and have them packed tightly together like sardines in the terminals waiting to get cleared of customs. I saw the same thing with passengers coming off the cruise ships. All packed tightly in lines roped off waiting to be processed and tested when they should be staggering people and taking them off in small groups. Just seems idiotic to me. They are going to cause way more new cases by cramming all these people together.

46121C53-1CF6-4E49-A5B2-A45ED0E8507C (resized).jpeg46121C53-1CF6-4E49-A5B2-A45ED0E8507C (resized).jpegEC1DC1A6-82DA-4B7D-91AB-DB1E859B0FE0 (resized).jpegEC1DC1A6-82DA-4B7D-91AB-DB1E859B0FE0 (resized).jpeg
#1100 4 years ago

(edited-no politics)

There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 47.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-members-club-come-in-but-keep-your-distance/page/22?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.