(Topic ID: 264291)

COVID-19 House Arrest - What Game Are You Working On?

By clodpole

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 667 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Ceckitti
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0335 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0334 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0333 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0331 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0330 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0306 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0293 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0282 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0303 (resized).JPG
    FA9F6C06-A0B1-4BB5-948A-62C432AB2271 (resized).jpeg
    70819F65-F8C7-4F98-B7B9-441BA11D8D47 (resized).jpeg
    EDCC5E2B-FEAB-4C3C-BAA9-E1235B5357D8 (resized).jpeg
    ED9393B1-B0C4-4D6F-940D-73A5F1332F40 (resized).jpeg
    04F31A08-5678-4E41-B1AF-F6CF74B405DD (resized).jpeg
    20200723_211140 (resized).jpg
    20200725_114318 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Quite a few of us have been locked in our homes by (you choose) the virus/the political response to the virus. Here's my time-consuming restoration project. What's yours?

IMG_1253 (resized).JPGIMG_1253 (resized).JPG
    #7 4 years ago

Hey, these are inspiring! It's hard to live "apart" without being "alone". Thanks for joining in.

#15 4 years ago

New term: what we're doing here is practicing "Distant Socializing".

#23 4 years ago

Long ago we used to have "postal" track meets - one team in one town would do all the events and another school would do the same thing in their town and then mail the results to each other to see who won. You're doing the modern version of "postal" Centipede.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I’m about to start working on a UPL Depthcharge....
    Neat game where your a destroyer dropping Depthcharges on subs.

It's like Sea Wolf backwards!

#28 4 years ago

The subs can fight back! I like it.

We have a Bally Sea Ray, a Christian Marche "pointy people" underwater pinball game. It would look good in the same game room as your Depthcharge.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I’m a sucker for any game that incorporates submarines.
    I would love a good submarine themed pinball machine.

This would look nice:

Underwater (resized).jpgUnderwater (resized).jpg
    #39 4 years ago

My wife somewhat willingly serves the same function as your amazing playfield holder-upper....

#62 4 years ago

Hardbody, eh? I love the wacky flex strips guarding the outlanes!

#72 4 years ago

Hayfarmer... if you put glow-in-the-dark rubbers on your pinball machines, do they add to the Jimi Hendrix effect of the room?

#78 4 years ago

If I had a bigger space, I'd have one of those. Good luck cleaning it up and getting it going!

#108 4 years ago

Hey JHPSWE, what did you use for wood filler? It looks really nice.

#115 4 years ago

Does that include the cost of bandages?

I too like the Farrah poster, and envy you your Quicksilver. Fun to play and really good Doug Watson art.

#135 4 years ago

I like the better, balanced lighting - that kind of stuff bugs me too. Plus, that's a really fun old-style modern game!

#145 4 years ago

This is one of the things I love about pinball - we players/collectors/restorers represent an incredibly wide range of occupations and lifestyles, yet we all love these goofy games.

#153 4 years ago

You said it!

#158 4 years ago

Flash, which has had its playfield in "clean and paint" on top, and "clean and rebuild" underneath for 3+ months, got the last pieces attached this afternoon! Next is replacing the 40-pin interconnect between the MPU and Driver board, as the game had multiple personality syndrome when the two boards were revived from battery damage.

Playfield_Before (resized).JPGPlayfield_Before (resized).JPGPlayfield_Complete (resized).JPGPlayfield_Complete (resized).JPG
    #171 4 years ago

Hah! That's excellent! All pinball and no play makes jack....

#179 4 years ago

Electromechanical! With Smoke, no less!

#182 4 years ago

Wow, Space Shuttle looks deluxe! Mars God of War looks to provide many days' alternative to t.p. lines at the store. My Flash is doing the same thing - I was going to start soldering on circuit boards this week, but discovered the back box had come unglued (as have many of us...). So, wood repair first.

#186 4 years ago

You have very selective termites!

#189 4 years ago

You did it sign-painter style? Accept my congratulations!

#202 4 years ago

The playfield cleanup looks real nice; I've been doing the same to a Flash, but I'm conserving my IPA a bit, as crazed hoarders have bought up all the available supply!

#235 4 years ago

That is really cool! If this house arrest stuff goes on for a while, you're going to have an amazing game!

#238 4 years ago

Looks like you have a good assistant.

1 week later
    #266 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

What a difference a week makes.
    It only took 10 years to get around to it too!
    Playfield is pretty much done as well. Just got to reinstall it all and make it all work!
    rd[quoted image]

That game is so pretty when it's all spiffed up! I'm going to sneak over there disguised as a parcel so I can play it when you fire it up.

#284 4 years ago

Very fun and pretty game.

IMG_0348 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0348 (1) (resized).JPG
    #303 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I spent 4 hours today trying to figure out why 14 feature lamps are out on my Embryon, I thought I’d nailed it when I found 2 broken wires on J4 of the lamp driver board, but after rebuilding that connector I was back at square one. Early SS pins can really test your patience sometimes.

My friend, JP, once told me "You can get in trouble on an EM, but if you really want to F*** yourself, get a solid state!"

#324 4 years ago

My friend gave me what I thought might be something really useful:IMG_1307 (resized).JPGIMG_1307 (resized).JPG

It turned out to be my next hobby project when the Flash is finished!IMG_1308 (resized).JPGIMG_1308 (resized).JPG

#327 4 years ago

Yup - Van de Graaff generator. Cousin of Tesla Coil, I guess. One generates static electricity, the other steps up voltage (AC, no less). Spark Museum in Bellingham, WA has a really big Tesla Coil set up to demonstrate their Steam Punk Farraday Cage:

TeslaCoil (resized).jpgTeslaCoil (resized).jpg
    #334 4 years ago

At first I thought the big blue unit on the right of the "under" photo was some kind of giant drop target box; ....then I read "Hako". We have your game's cousin, Flight 2000". Both games are beautiful when spruced up, as yours certainly is, and have those cool asymmetrical playfields.

Nice work!

#353 4 years ago

Flash, the origin of this fun thread, went back together yesterday. It still has multiple personality syndrome, which will hopefully be cured by replacing the 40-pin interconnect between the 2 main circuit boards.

IMG_1322 (resized).JPGIMG_1322 (resized).JPG
    #386 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

They are bad indeed. For this game, I will be leaving it as they are. Just have the pitch a bit higher to ensure no slow ball catch on one.

My friend Art (of Comet fame) uses this:Everbrite (resized).pngEverbrite (resized).png

You can read about his method, which seems to work really well here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dished-insert-varathane-fill-technique-only-question#post-5591785

#388 4 years ago

I've also successfully used 2 layers of mylar, one cut to fit inside the cup of the insert, another cut a smidge smaller yet. You can't see them and the ball rolls pretty true. Plus, they're easy to remove if you don't like the effect.

#390 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gott1978:

I used the eyedropper technique with two part auto clear coat on the cupped inserts on my Close Encounters. The technique is discussed elsewhere in the forum. While they are not 100%, they are close and the play improved markedly. I did not sand down the clear coat after it dried, I just tried to fill the cups level, with good success. You need good ventilation as the fumes are pretty strong.

I did something similar with a mix of clear acrylic medium and hardener, which can be sanded or smoothed with IPA. As perhaps with yours, they didn't come out perfectly level, but play way better than previously. I'm not a big fan of "ice skating rink" playfields, at least on old games, as they were built presuming the ball would make unpredictable moves when it crossed inserts or rollovers.

#395 4 years ago

I'm happy to hear about the bits you've shared with us, and I'm tellin' you, we need to have a big party down under when this is all done. You can't possible play all your games by yourself!

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I spent the day sanding off the badly planked lacquer on the bare wood sections of my Miss-O. Very nerve-wracking....

Hey Mark - you get double credit for working on an EM!

#406 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Honestly ... Catacomb is not a super great game.
    There. I said it. Flame suit on.
    Iron Maiden gets a bad rap - but I quite like it. You need to work out the rules I think to enjoy it.

I'm with you - just never managed to like playing Catacomb.

#435 3 years ago

The sink looks to be difficult to reach.....

1 week later
    #477 3 years ago

If it's any consolation, TheLaw, my now-very-pretty Flash went back together and won't boot....

IMG_1343 (resized).JPGIMG_1343 (resized).JPG
    #498 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Do we need a failures of quarantine thread?
    Because my Star Gazer cabinet can join that club...
    Something went wrong...sanded down and repainting. Blue is back on now. White will go on next week.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like that idea - a sub-thread at least, for projects which resist completion.

#510 3 years ago

What're you gonna' use for the particle board repair?

#540 3 years ago

Cool game - I always loved those multi-layer jungle plastics.

I'm spending a few days away from Flash, whose board repairs were a failure. Rottendog or Kahouts in the plan one of these days. Meanwhile, I'm polishing the rails on my beloved Sea Ray. An amazing amount of black stuff comes off:IMG_1381 (resized).JPGIMG_1381 (resized).JPG

#542 3 years ago

Now that is a Sunday afternoon activity!

#554 3 years ago

By the way, Washington is still a "No Barbers" state. It's getting desperate at our house....

BadHair (resized).jpgBadHair (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #572 3 years ago

Looks very nice; I've been doing the same to our old Sea Ray.

#587 3 years ago

I love those early-70s Bally 1- or 2-player games. Makes me happy to see one revived and released back into the wild!

#591 3 years ago

Cool game - I especially love/hate the pop bumper between the flippers! ...and cool kid, to dig in and help.

#595 3 years ago

I'm awaiting boards for Flash, so I'm re-doing some paint repair I did to Sea Ray several years ago. Bondo glazing putty and hand-painted acrylic look good enough to not draw the eye after a couple of coats of clear and then wax. This is an area of green nearly done painting, and a blue area just after putty application. Mind you, my goal is to retain as much of the original as I can, while diminishing glaring faults:
    IMG_1398 (resized).JPGIMG_1398 (resized).JPG
    Now that it's sanded and painted, it looks about as good as I can get it. It's not as smooth as if it had been sanded with a block, but I wanted to leave as much original paint as possible. Other than the Bondo, everything I've done can be removed with IPA.
    IMG_1400 (resized).JPGIMG_1400 (resized).JPG

#597 3 years ago

Looks nice! I did something simliar to the back door on Sea Ray. Too much rust to salvage, so cleaned and painted with hammered metal paint.

1 week later
    #610 3 years ago

It looks like most of us have gotten some relief from the tight quarantine rules. If you still want to post here I'll be monitoring. Meanwhile, I opened a new thread to describe what you didn't get finished during the lockdown, as well as new projects/problems you picked up during your stay at home.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-quarantine-part-ii-what-didn-t-you-finish#post-5693709

Thanks very much for participating - this has been really fun and encouraging to be part of!

#613 3 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Awesome. Two great games.

Aren't they? Someone brings a Magic Castle to our pinball convention every year, and I get stuck playing it over and over just to get the castle doors to open.

#615 3 years ago

When you get to "looks like a mirror", you're into better-than-original territory. This A-26 shows up in my town periodically and it looks just like your coin door. No A-26 in service ever looked like that, but it's pretty. Anyway, your work looks first rate to me.

SexySue (resized).jpgSexySue (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #622 3 years ago

Well, the table that started this thread 3 months ago just played its first game in 20 years. Thanks to the Kohouts brothers (pinballpcb.com), Flash has a completely new brain - MPU/Driver, Power Supply and Sound Board. It's loud, now that it works!

Now that it has a brain, it's apparent what else needs fixing. Upper left rollover does nothing, both sets of drop targets have trouble resetting during play (but not at end-of-ball), and the lower left kicker doesn't kick. I think those are at least common to all old Williams SS tables, so there's hope.

Best wishes from the upper left corner of the country....IMG_1422 (resized).JPGIMG_1422 (resized).JPG

p.s. Notice the cool voltmeter built into the power supply!

2 weeks later
    #642 3 years ago

Do you think it sounds different, now that it's all shined up?

3 weeks later
    #658 3 years ago

Nice job, man! We have a concrete tile roof and have been considering metal replacement - I'm glad to see how yours came out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-house-arrest-what-game-are-you-working-on?tu=clodpole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.