(Topic ID: 302409)

COVID-19 and Pinball Shows

By DanMarino

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“COVID-19 and Pinball Shows”

• I went to a Pinball show and did NOT get COVID-19 within 14-days afterwards. 32 votes
      97%
    • I went to a Pinball show and DID get COVID-19 within 14-days afterwards. 1 vote
      3%

(33 votes)

This topic is closed.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I had a great time this summer at the Allentown show and also a few weeks ago at the York show. I'm vaccinated, but I admit that I was a little concerned about catching COVID-19 from attending these gatherings. Naturally, I had a great time playing pinball, but at points during the shows I was a little uncomfortable being around so many people. Afterwards I was monitoring myself to see if I caught COVID-19, and thankfully I didn't.

So I'm curious, has anyone caught COVID-19 after attending a Pinball show this year? I don't really have a great feel for how many people attended the Allentown or York shows in 2021. I know that right now in the Washington, DC area the COVID rate is about 100 illnesses per 100,000 people. So I'm sure these shows don't approach anything close to that level of people attending.

Anyways, I hope everyone continues to be well with the upcoming holiday season approaching.

#2 2 years ago

Laces out, Dan!

I attended the SFGE show. They required masks and I felt very safe.

#3 2 years ago

Our family has been vigilant throughout, but we feel safe at our local arcades with masking and hand sanitizing. I'm hyped for Pincinnati this year! I will say the one thing that I'm still not 100% comfortable with is flipper button sharing; so many hands that have been so many places. I'm wondering, for the operators here, is there a standard protocol for keeping things clean?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from dq13:

Our family has been vigilant throughout, but we feel safe at our local arcades with masking and hand sanitizing. I'm hyped for Pincinnati this year! I will say the one thing that I'm still not 100% comfortable with is flipper button sharing; so many hands that have been so many places. I'm wondering, for the operators here, is there a standard protocol for keeping things clean?

I was at the Louisville show March 2019 which was right before shit hit the fan. They had sanitizing stations EVERYWHERE, and kept them loaded which was impressive. I can only imagine Pincinnati will have similar amenities. Also noticed the folks who were really concerned wore latex gloves.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from dq13:

A good cleaning regimen is definitely a good idea - a quick swipe with rubbing alcohol or another cleaning agent would help keep a LOT of things from spreading. However it’s probably good to remember that COVID doesn’t spread from touching things - it’s airborne.

#6 2 years ago

I would estimate that 95% of people or more were not wearing masks at the Pennsylvania shows this year.

#7 2 years ago

Just attended a 100+ event at District 82 in Green Bay area. I would estimate masking was around 15-20%ish(?) and there were players from every part of the US as well as Canada and even England.

Full transparency, I elected to not mask up for it. It was an absolute blast, though I do remain curious as to exposure for all of us attendees as well as during a round it is pretty hard to distance, and even between rounds everyone sitting next to each other on couches masked or not. I hope if any of us get sick, we go get tested and let each other know.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I wasn't quite sure where to post this.

In the covid thread!!

#10 2 years ago

Carefull, the Mods don't like this topic free floating out there with their control and approval...

Check out the Official Corona 19 thread!!

#11 2 years ago

I’ve been to several pinball events. No symptoms. I go in and out of hospitals every day for work. No symptoms. Your mileage may vary.

#12 2 years ago

You said you’re vax’d so what’s the worry?

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Good point. The vax prevents you from getting covid
    Sorry, I mean, the vax only prevents you from going to the hospital if you get covid
    Sorry, I mean that the vax only prevents you from dying from covid...maybe! lol

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Because no vaccine known to man has 100% efficacy. Even if you avoid life-threatening issues, COVID can still have long term impacts that are frankly annoying as hell. 10 months after the fact, and 7 months after the vaccine, I still can't smell all that well, and things will probably never taste the same again. Particularly bad for me is anything "spicy", and considering I was the guy that would happily cut up and eat a raw habanero before COVID.....now even crap like mild salsa is borderline questionable for me. I'll save you the trouble of describing some of my other less pleasant long term after-effects.

#15 2 years ago

Time to just live your life...

#16 2 years ago

Poll added. Please vote.

#18 2 years ago

Time will tell. Went to 2 shows over the last 10 days. Both required vaccines or negative test and both required masks without exception. Feel fine so far. I have the sniffles but it is also fall in northern California and allergy season for me

#19 2 years ago

This and the similar TPF thread show the real lasting effects of Covid - PTSD.

Covid will be endemic so you are going to have to deal with it for the rest of your life. If you have been vaxed and are still worried about it then you are in for a miserable time.

Frax - sorry about your taste buds, but you knew the vax wasn't going to fix your symptoms after the fact, right?

#20 2 years ago

I'm waiting for kids 5-13 to get vaccinated but then it's game on for us (with masks of course)

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Frax - sorry about your taste buds, but you knew the vax wasn't going to fix your symptoms after the fact, right?

Did I expect it to? No. I got it to best protect my younger kid, who STILL can't get a f'ing vax months into the school year, and there's been at least 5 "oh, your kid was probably exposed" letters from his school, including his homeroom teacher, that they had to send an email out to the ENTIRE GRADE because she handles multiple classes. Bringing home *any* level of COVID, serious or not, is not something I want to happen, but definitely would like to have that not happen until he can get his vaccine. It's one thing for me to lose my crap at 40, but he's got the best part of his life ahead of him...I hope.... he already has multiple issues around food texture, and food allergies. His diet is already fairly restricted, so I'd like to not jack with his enjoyment of the few things he can or WILL eat.

Did it semi-miraculously fix or drastically improve "long haul" symptoms for a bunch of people, including my wife? Yeah, it did. I just didn't win the lottery, no surprises there. I'm not bitter about it, it's just how things are now. I'm mostly adjusted to the taste/smell thing, and thankfully, my fatigue did mostly go away a while after the shot. That was really the worst part, just being completely dead tired useless all the time for months.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

There is much evidence that the vaccine reduces symptoms in some long haul Covid sufferers. But just like the vaccine it's not 100%

#26 2 years ago

I have not let COVID hold back my life aside from the first month of paranoia when the virus hit and everything was closed. I hit up Crabtown USA for pinball the day they let restaurants open back up in Maryland. My kids are in school (but forced to mask up by the school). I did everything short of licking the flipper buttons at Allentown and York. I'm not sick and have not gotten sick. I go to work everyday, shop, and carry on life as always. However, I am young and healthy with no risk factors.

Were I older, had health concerns, or close family with issues I would button down the hatches. If you want to, you are more than welcome to with no ill will from me. I am under the impression that most of us are going to get COVID sooner or later. I am not going to live my life in mortal fear of it.

#28 2 years ago

The Family is avoiding congested areas with high percentages of vaxxed people. Thats just the honest truth.

#29 2 years ago

Me, well I'm out living my best life and enjoying the things it has to offer. Made it to a new arcade last night, Lynn's in Monterey, CA, where I enjoyed playing some games I hadn't played before.

(Just don't say stuff like that in the Covid thread. They want you to be as miserable as they are in there).

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I'm waiting for kids 5-13 to get vaccinated but then it's game on for us (with masks of course)

I respect your personal decision. Not sure why anyone would have an ‘issue’ with your decision… but there it is.

#31 2 years ago

Attended pinbrew got the t-shirt and have lived to tilt out another day

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Because no vaccine known to man has 100% efficacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox

The last naturally occurring case was diagnosed in October 1977, and the World Health Organization (WHO) certified the global eradication of the disease in 1980.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox
    The last naturally occurring case was diagnosed in October 1977, and the World Health Organization (WHO) certified the global eradication of the disease in 1980.

But that doesn't mean that the smallpox vaccine was 100% effective. It just means enough people were vaccinated, and it was effective enough that the virus no longer had anywhere else to spread to.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

But that doesn't mean that the vaccine was 100% effective. It just means enough people were vaccinated, and it was effective enough that the virus no longer had anywhere else to spread to.

Did you read the article?

"Historically, the vaccine has been effective in preventing smallpox infection in 95 percent of those vaccinated."

That's phenomenally successful for a vaccine.

#35 2 years ago

Why create this thread or poll? If you are worried about it, you prolly won’t be going to any shows in the first place.

I’ll be at Expo and I’m vaxxed.

I’m a ‘frontline’ worker since this thang began, and sill am. If I get it I get it.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

But that doesn't mean that the smallpox vaccine was 100% effective. It just means enough people were vaccinated, and it was effective enough that the virus no longer had anywhere else to spread to.

It's unreal to me that people can't even understand this basic logic, or don't even try. Oh well.

#39 2 years ago

Personally, I won’t go to a show if masking is mandatory.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I don't love it, but that's the requirement in Chicago (the entire city), so the show has no choice. And I'd like to go to Expo.

Not the end of the world.

I pity the people being tasked with enforcing this. I'm sure there will be a lot of idiots stirring up trouble and being belligerent, especially as it gets later and people get drunker. Try not to be "that guy," people.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Why create this thread or poll? If you are worried about it, you prolly won’t be going to any shows in the first place.
    I’ll be at Expo and I’m vaxxed.
    I’m a ‘frontline’ worker since this thang began, and sill am. If I get it I get it.

I was curious how many people ended up getting sick after attending a pinball show.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Just attended a 100+ event at District 82 in Green Bay area. I would estimate masking was around 15-20%ish(?) and there were players from every part of the US as well as Canada and even England.

Yep I caught cold from that event, going through boxes of Kleenex

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I was curious how many people ended up getting sick after attending a pinball show.

I got sick a few days before the Allentown show, so I didn't go.

Had I gotten sick a couple days later, I may well have been at the show unknowingly spreading my germs around. Would I have gotten anybody sick? Who the hell knows.

As far as I know, not a single person here has fessed up to either going to a show while sick with COVID, or going to a show and catching COVID. So, you aren't gonna have much data to work with. You really just have to consider it and make a decision, there's no easy answers here.

#47 2 years ago

I went to my first tourney since COVID about 4 weeks ago. It was awesome and they had a good and strictly enforced COVID strategy. Nevertheless, it felt weird being in an enclosed space with so many people.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Yep I caught cold from that event, going through boxes of Kleenex

You sure it is only a cold? Granted, its Tuesday… so my exposure would have been 2 days ago now and I think something would have reared its ugly head by now.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

So you’re skipping the show this year?

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/covid-19-and-pinball-shows and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.