4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8127 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

This is a question on LEDs and voltages in TAF (or probably any WPC-89 pin).

Some background:

When I bought my TAF it already had a PinballBulbs Ultimate LED Kit installed on it...every original bulb, and then some, converted to LED.

The translite on this game has a "Cousin IT" light-blocker on the back of it. I assume this is standard for this game. Normally, without illumination from behind, Cousin It is not visible on the translite until a GI light is shines through it and then his "shadow" shows up in the upper-left mansion window.

I thought to myself, "hmm, this is curious, why is it like that?, why didn't they just add Cousin It to the translite like every other character if he's always going to be visible when the game is on anyway?"

So I got to thinking, why not make his shadow show up in certain circumstances? I did some poking around in the machine and found it would be pretty easy to remove Cousin It's translite bulb from the GI strand and instead wire it to the Cousin It position in the lamp matrix (26). That way, Cousin It's shadow only shows up in the translite when the Cousin It playfield lamp is active too...so a tiny bit of dynamics in the translite.

On to my question...

But looking at the TAF manual, it appears the GI is 6.3 VAC and the lamp matrix is 18 VDC. So the LED that's currently in the translite for Cousin It would need to be replaced, I assume. But looking on PinballBulbs website for the appropriate 18 VDC bulb, they're not listed by voltage. However, each of their bulb descriptions say "Great for replacing GI lighting, under plastics and anywhere you want bright light that is not super direct."

Does this mean these LEDs can be used across multiple voltages, and both AC and DC? It seems I'm missing a very basic concept on the differences between these pinball LEDs vs. regular incandescent bulbs. Would the LED GI bulb I already have in there work in the lamp matrix?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I have no idea but

Could the GI lights be wired in a series-parallel way, so that 3 6v lights run together on one 18v line?

I’ve never had an issue installing leds before, but I’ve never owned taf

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Priam:

I thought to myself, "hmm, this is curious, why is it like that?, why didn't they just add Cousin It to the translite like every other character if he's always going to be visible when the game is on anyway?"

There should be a blinker behind Cousin It, so he just appears when the lamp is on. Also, blinkers in various other spots in the backbox.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

There should be a blinker behind Cousin It, so he just appears when the lamp is on. Also, blinkers in various other spots in the backbox.

Hmm. No, not in my TAF's backbox. There are the cloud "flashers" at the top, but no blinkers behind the translite. But I'm sure Cousin It is wired into the GI. I thought there was a strange wiring going on there. Hang on, let me grab a picture...okay, have a look below, does my TAF look mis-wired? It was like this when I bought it.

Notice that I have three strands of bulbs: The yellow strand, the orange strand, and the bare strand. Orange and yellow are on separate circuits, however, the bare strand it soldered onto the end of the yellow stand, making the bare and yellow strands the same circuit. Cousin It is at one end of the bare strand, the upper-right most bulb in the picture. On my TAF all the bulbs behind the translite are always on solid, no blinking. Does this sound normal for a TAF?

Thanks!

IMG_8127 (resized).jpgIMG_8127 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

I'm not sure where the 18VDC came from, but the inserts and GI in that game use the same bulbs: 6.3V.

(There are other bulbs, flashers, which use 12v, but those are larger sockets).

The bulb in the backbox behind Cousin It was designed to have a 455 bulb in the socket, which is a blinking bulb, and is also 6.3v...so it doesn't matter if you use one that blinks or not.

If you want the Cousin It shadow in the backbox to illuminate when the Cousin It insert lights up (which is a a cool idea!), I'd do this:

Replace your Cousin It insert with a Matrix Quick Connect bulb: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/quick-connects

That will illuminate the insert and give you a connector to run wire off of: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/matrix-extension-wires

I'd guess you'll probably want two 36 inch wires (though this would probably leave a lot of extra slack...so you could measure and buy less). Connect that wire to the Quick Connect bulb (they snap together easily with your hands, no soldering needed), and run it down the underside of the playfield and up into the backbox. Use some Zip Ties to keep things neat.

At the end, you want to attach some source of light. We have a few options, but a short strip would probably be easiest: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips

It has adhesive backing, so you can just stick it right next to the existing socket for the Cousin It shadow (and you can just remove the existing bulb in that socket and leave it empty).

Since both the playfield and the backbox door pivot and swing, just make sure zip tie the wire in a way that leaves enough slack to accommodate those movements.

Does that make sense? Feel free to message me if not, or post more questions here.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Priam:

On my TAF all the bulbs behind the translite are always on solid, no blinking. Does this sound normal for a TAF?

In TAF, most of the sockets in the backbox were 555/wedge, but a few were done as 44/47 bayonet. These bayonet sockets where the cue that blinking bulbs should be used in them. The kit you used probably just gave you regular bayonet bulbs, not blinkers. It's really just an artistic thing...it doesn't matter if they blink or not. Either way, 6.3v is going to the socket...it's just that the blinking bulbs will turn themselves on and off at regular intervals, even when constantly supplied with 6.3v.

Here is a video of what the backbox can look like with blinking bulbs installed in all the bayonet sockets. (We got a little fancy here, the blinking bulbs are different shades of white, different speeds, and one or two are intentionally dimmer.

Speaking of dimmer, we also have a brightness adjuster that you can connect when you make your Cousin It's shadow mod, so you can turn down the light if it's too bright.

#7 4 years ago

Ryan,

That’s extremely helpful, thank you very much.

I got the 18VDC reference for the lamp matrix from here:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC_Power.2FDriver_Board_Generations

Section 5.3.1

Those Comet products will make this mod quick and easy. And yes, after looking at the URLs you provided, I completely understand.

I didn’t know about the blinking bulbs in TAF, that was news to me. Whomever did the LED swap on the machine before I had it (my first pin) must not have liked the blink.

Thanks again!

-Mike

#8 4 years ago

Very cool Mike, make a video of the finished product!

I really don’t understand what they mean with the 18VDC thing. All insert bulbs in all machines pre JJP & Stern Spike are 6.3v...as are all GI bulbs. (The only things that are different are flasher bulbs, which are usually 12v but there are some exceptions).

#9 4 years ago

The lamp matrix circuit runs at 18VDC. The high frequency switching of the rows and columns means that each light only gets a small slice of that (averaging at around 6.3 like the other lights).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cousin-it-s-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.