• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Hey Folks,

I'm bringing a Wizard! back to life and almost have it done. I have two remining issues that I thought I'd get some advice on. They are:

1. There is an extra 1,000 bonus each time the ball drains. If the bonus is 1,000, it'll award 2,000. If 7,000, it'll award 8,000, etc. There is something causing one extra bonus pulse, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas?

2. Occasionally an extra player is activated when the credit button is pushed. It doesn't happen every time, so I imagine there is some switch that is a little too close but not close enough to trigger every time. For an example, I had the following sequence: button, P1, button, P2, button, P3,P4. Other sequences also. But often the credit button works fine and I can push to a P3 game without extras. I'm thinking a switch gap somewhere needs to be widened just a little...but certainly could be wrong.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on these two items. Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago

2. This also could be a mechanical problem, but here are the 3 switches involved in stepping up the Coin Unit solenoid.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from JRC6000:

1. There is an extra 1,000 bonus each time the ball drains. If the bonus is 1,000, it'll award 2,000. If 7,000, it'll award 8,000, etc. There is something causing one extra bonus pulse, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas?

There's a Bonus Unit Zero position switch (at H4 on the schematic at ipdb.org) on the Bonus Unit stepper that should open when the stepper reaches the zero position. That's what stops the bonus count. It might be that that switch doesn't open when the stepper reaches zero and takes an extra kick from the subtract solenoid to open. You should be able to check this manually with the power off by pushing in the solenoid plungers and releasing them to see when that switch opens and closes.

Quoted from JRC6000:

2. Occasionally an extra player is activated when the credit button is pushed. It doesn't happen every time, so I imagine there is some switch that is a little too close but not close enough to trigger every time. For an example, I had the following sequence: button, P1, button, P2, button, P3,P4. Other sequences also. But often the credit button works fine and I can push to a P3 game without extras.

The Credit Button should fire the Credit relay which in turn fires the Coin relay which fires the Coin Unit Step Up Solenoid as shown in @howardr's schematic above. Each time you press the Credit Button the Score Motor should turn 180 degrees or half a turn. When you get an extra player does the Score Motor turn just half as turn as it should, or does it turn a full turn?

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

Thanks MarkG and @howardr. I did some hard looking at the machine last night and have these notes from your questions:

1. The bonus unit seems to step up and down correctly when manually operated. The zero switch definitely opens at the bottom as it should then pulse up to 1,000 to start a new ball. What I noticed after watching closely over and over again, was that the first pulse down is the double. It seems to take two pulses for the first number to move. All of the teeth on the gear look good as do all of the springs. What's curious about this is that it happens no matter what number it starts on (same thing for double bonus). Is there something different about the first pulse than all the others? I'm wondering if maybe a different switch on the score motor initiates the first pulse then another continues the countdown. IF that is the case, maybe that first switch isn't adjusted close enough. Any clues here?

2. The score motor definitely keeps turning when the extra players are added. So maybe something isn't dropping out as it should? Still occasional. When I tested last night. The players stepped up correctly a few times. Then I pressed the credit button once and it went all the way to player 4. The score motor kept spinning.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from JRC6000:

What I noticed after watching closely over and over again, was that the first pulse down is the double. It seems to take two pulses for the first number to move.

That sounds like a mechanical issue rather than an electrical issue. If I understand correctly it fails to count down the first time it has changed direction from adding to subtracting, is that right? If so I'd have a close look at the advance and subtract arms. Do they move freely? Do they travel far enough to turn the gear, or too far? Is there any extra motion or slop in the links? etc.

Quoted from JRC6000:

2. The score motor definitely keeps turning when the extra players are added. So maybe something isn't dropping out as it should?

Very possible. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-shangri-la-random-outhole-relay-failure#post-4397335

#6 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Turns out #1 was a mechanical issue. I worked out #2 by cleaning out the motor rotor and axel as MarkG described in the link above.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/couple-remaining-wizard-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.