Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4933.JPG
    IMG_8026.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

So I'm getting ready to put an order in at PBL for some parts to fix my dredd and thought i'd get a few LED items as well. I'd like to do the whirlpool in blue, not sure which route to take though and suggestions would be great. Any thoughts on doing the topper in LED as well? I think they require a specific LED bulb for the topper.

Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

Topper is a higher voltage. 12 volts, not 6 volts like #555 and #44/#47.

I'd do all the water areas in blue, looks really good on that game.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from flipper_fever76:

So I'm getting ready to put an order in at PBL for some parts to fix my dredd and thought i'd get a few LED items as well. I'd like to do the whirlpool in blue, not sure which route to take though and suggestions would be great. Any thoughts on doing the topper in LED as well? I think they require a specific LED bulb for the topper.
    Thanks.

Hi FF76,

I used blue LED's (194) in my WH2O topper initially and it pretty much blew chunks. The waterfall effect isn't nearly as pronounced. The regular #194 incandescent bulbs really show off the waterfall effect much better IMHO.

I did do the whirlpool with 555 blue LED's and it looks great.

Gord

#4 11 years ago

I would not recommend LEDs in the GI unless they are high grade ghost-free. I do recommend changing the whirlpool lights to blue instead of red. it makes no sense to have a red whirlpool.

#5 11 years ago

K, thanks for the replies. I'll just stick w/ the whirlpool for now, never understood the red lights there. I've had the game about a year now and just noticed that on ride the whirlpool each time you hit the whirlpool one of the lights goes solid, 7 whirlpools to complete the challenge...7 lights. Funny I never noticed it till just a few days ago.

#6 11 years ago

Wow... I never knew the whirlpool lights stay and I've had my game several years! Looks like I've got something to look forward to tonight.

#7 11 years ago

I like the wp in red, personally. I went with red PBL frosteds, I think it looks good, helps to break up the blue a bit.

#8 11 years ago

Don't do the GI in LED at all, as you will lose the dimming effect when MB starts.

I changed the bulbs under the RIVER inserts to blue, used frosted blue around the whirlpool, and frosted red/yellow in the signs on the upper PF.

#9 11 years ago

I did red in Whirlpool for sure. No LED in GI or rafts. Blues in river targets and inlanes. Abaze 1 frosteds in backglass.

Make sure you have the latest home roms or they will ghost.

1 month later
    #10 10 years ago

What Leds did you use for the topper? I know the 12 volts, but did you use white, warm white?
    Also did anybody use a different color besides white for the flashers in the backbox?

#11 10 years ago

My preference is NOT to put tons of color everywhere. Lots of people put blue for the slings, but I think it makes it hard to see the ball. Here is what mine looked like before I tore it apart to shop it.

IMG_8026.JPGIMG_8026.JPG IMG_4933.JPGIMG_4933.JPG IMG_4932.JPGIMG_4932.JPG

#12 10 years ago

So, it looks like you left the original bulbs in the topper?

#13 10 years ago

Yeah. I may be picking some up from amazon. If I do, I will go with cool white and maybe a couple of blues for the middle.

#14 10 years ago

Cointakers is going to be at the show, already have an order waiting for when I get there. I may just have to pick up the topper LEDs also!

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darlene:

I may just have to pick up the topper LEDs also!

Please do...i've been waiting to see a topper done in LED.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darlene:

Cointakers is going to be at the show, already have an order waiting for when I get there. I may just have to pick up the topper LEDs also!

You may be able to get the 12V ones cheaper on Amazon. I found a lot of 10 for $10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/couple-of-wh20-led-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.