New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 83174)

Couple of Quick Questions

By derek533

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, just trying to learn as much as I can. You're posts have all been really helpful to me and learning all the jargon and acronyms.

I keep seeing "board hack" mentioned in various threads. Is this the same thing as "jury rigging" or is it something else?

Also, see a lot of talk about Bally/WMS machines but when I see a Gottleib mentioned, specifically a system 3 machine, one thing that is usually mentioned is reliability. Are the System 3 machines just built better than other pinballs of the same era? Reason I ask is that there seems to be a plethora of System 3 machines that are great machines and priced less than they would be if they were Bally/WMS.

TIA

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from derek533:

I keep seeing "board hack" mentioned in various threads. Is this the same thing as "jury rigging" or is it something else?

Yes, or just sloppy "hack" work.

#3 6 years ago

A hack is a bad repair. Just because a board has been modified doesn't necessarily mean it was a hack job.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from derek533:

Also, see a lot of talk about Bally/WMS machines but when I see a Gottleib mentioned, specifically a system 3 machine, one thing that is usually mentioned is reliability. Are the System 3 machines just built better than other pinballs of the same era? Reason I ask is that there seems to be a plethora of System 3 machines that are great machines and priced less than they would be if they were Bally/WMS.

The old EM Gotts were indestructible.

Then when they changed over to solid state, they had an outside contractor design their system and it was a pile. The grounding scheme was designed by a chimp or something.

Late in the game they got their ship together, just in time to go out of business.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The grounding scheme was designed by a chimp or something.

I think it was Lucas...the prince of darkness.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from derek533:

System 3 machines that are great machines and priced less than they would be if they were Bally/WMS.

You've got to like the music to love the Gotts! There are a few that are real fun to have around. Most will say Stargate,, but that isn't my favorite. Barn Wire is getting a lot of love these days at my house. People that shunned Gottlieb can't help themselves but throw down a few games on it when the are over.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 218.00
    $ 25.00
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 89.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 60.00
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside