Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hoping to get answers to a couple questions on my Firepower. First issue is that one of the flippers randomly has a weak response (raising up just a little) when hitting the flipper button. It will stay weak for maybe 6 or 7 button presses, and then come back to life. Hey, come to think of it. My wife has this same complaint about me and our love life. But seriously, what could be the issue? Do I need to rebuild the flipper with a flipper kit, or is there a simpler solution?

Second issue is a little more puzzling. The hundreds digit on the displays seems to go on racking up points for way too long, no matter which player (1-4) is playing. It just keeps going and going when it seems that is should just score 100 or 200 points. Sometimes it seems to go on for about 5-6 seconds racking up points. It does this with a lot of regularity. Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks in advance!

#2 10 years ago

FP queues up switch hits and the software will register sounds/scores for targets in sequence. Since it takes longer to play the sounds than to register the score it seems the game is scoring even when you're not doing anything. This was designed that way to make the game more exciting. You can see this in action if you pull the glass, start a game and hit a bunch of switches very quickly in sequence. You will be done hitting the switches and the sounds will still be playing and the game still scoring.

For your flipper, sounds like you need an adjustment/new EOS switch.

viperrwk

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

FP queues up switch hits and the software will register sounds/scores for targets in sequence. Since it takes longer to play the sounds than to register the score it seems the game is scoring even when you're not doing anything. This was designed that way to make the game more exciting. You can see this in action if you pull the glass, start a game and hit a bunch of switches very quickly in sequence. You will be done hitting the switches and the sounds will still be playing and the game still scoring.

Correct. Assuming you don't have a stuck switch, or a switch that is vibrating open and closed a lot (the 1-6 targets are bad for this as they take a beating - try gapping them larger or putting foam behind the target), if you end up with a pile of action the points pile up and are added in series over time.

The reason I heard for this was because in the early SS days, multiple fast switch hits would not register properly, or would confuse the game into awarding stuff incorrectly. Williams came up with debounce coding and scoring algorithims to deal with this, and in order to 'prove' to the player that every switch hit was counted, they counted them up one at a time.

For your flipper, sounds like you need an adjustment/new EOS switch.
viperrwk

Also correct IMO. Your EOS switch is probably pitted and worn, making sometimes good sometimes bad contact

#4 10 years ago

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks much!

#5 10 years ago

If you go on RGP there was a pretty long discussion amongst several people about 1 week ago about the same problem. My Firepower does the same thing and its annoying as hell. Just yesterday I waxed my perfect playing BLACKOUT and now it too is doing the same thing. Might want to check on RGP for other possible solutions as there were many possibilities and cures given for the problem by several people.

#6 10 years ago

In addition to the EOS switch, it could be a slightly mushroomed plunger and/or a worn out coil sleeve. I had a similar problem on a newer machine, turned out to be the plunger and coil sleeve...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/couple-issues-with-my-firepower-need-help-with and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.