Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170317_183641385 (resized).jpg
IMG_0599 (resized).JPG
IMG_3882 (resized).JPG
IMG_3880 (resized).JPG
Picture1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

OK... I'm ironing the bugs out of my FH that I recently restored. I have a couple lingering problems...

1. Sometimes two balls are served. This is very infrequent and seems to happen on the first game after a long time powered down. I cannot recall a repeat offense while the game has been powered up.

2. Start button light is not illuminated. The bulb is good, no power at the lugs. I am missing the connector circled in the pic. Are there any wires on this connector or is it empty? Could this be causing either of these problems?

Picture1 (resized).jpgPicture1 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Bump

#3 7 years ago

Just drawing from memory but on my sample funhouse I had a separate light string run for the start button. I want to say it was plugged into J136.

Two balls being served up is suuuper common with those williams games. Check and see if the arm that serves the ball from the trough is hitting or triggering the ball trough switch.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Start button light is not illuminated.

Do you have a LED bulb installed? What happens if you swap in an incandescent bulb? If it lights, you may need to reverse the wires on the socket in order for the LED to work.

#5 7 years ago

I'm at work so I can't currently check on it for you, but wanted to poke my head in and say that from the one picture, that's a really nice job on the restoration. Super clean and nicely painted!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you have a LED bulb installed? What happens if you swap in an incandescent bulb? If it lights, you may need to reverse the wires on the socket in order for the LED to work.

Neither incandescent nor led work... I've even flipped the led.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm at work so I can't currently check on it for you, but wanted to poke my head in and say that from the one picture, that's a really nice job on the restoration. Super clean and nicely painted!

I stole that pic from HEP. I was looking at his connector realizing that mine is missing.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I stole that pic from HEP. I was looking at his connector realizing that mine is missing.

Oh. Never mind, then.

#9 7 years ago

Hope either of these can help. The bottom plug is empty, and it seems at a quick glance the start button connects directly to the top of this smaller board. But I could have looked at it wrong.

IMG_3880 (resized).JPGIMG_3880 (resized).JPG

IMG_3882 (resized).JPGIMG_3882 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

I have the start switch wired correctly... as far as I can tell

I'm wondering if that bottom "empty" connector is required for the start switch to get power? As a switch, it works but the light does not work regardless of what kind of light bulb I put in. I test voltage across the lugs and get nothing.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I'm wondering if that bottom "empty" connector is required for the start switch to get power? As a switch, it works but the light does not work regardless of what kind of light bulb I put in. I test voltage across the lugs and get nothing.

As I recall, I had this exact problem once and it was a problem with having to repin the connector that connected to the start button. When you say you "restored" it, how far did you go? Did you strip all the harnesses and put them in an ultrasonic or scrub them in a sink? If so, pins and connectors can get borked with all the moving and getting wet. You may have compromised a connection somewhere.

Post some pictures of your machine and the questionable connections. Also check the connection to the driver board leading from J1 and J2 back to the driver board. There may be a bad connection there as well. Reseat all the connectors...and it wouldn't hurt to even check for cold solder joints at the pins for those connectors on the boards. Those have a tendency to crack a bit which can make your connection wonky. You'd need to reflow the solder then.

Just a couple of ideas for you to look over. This really shouldn't be a tough one for you to ultimately solve. Don't get frustrated!

#12 7 years ago

Oh...also, with an incandescent bulb install in the button, wiggle a few of those wires at the breakout board connectors (and even the driver board ports associated with it) and see if it lights. You might find the bad pin/connection/joint that way.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

As I recall, that's a blank plug. Here's mine before the restoration:

IMG_0599 (resized).JPGIMG_0599 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Well... I remembered where the plug was. The lights on the start switch still do not work.

Restored... Yes complete teardown meaning the harness was washed.

Actual picture of my machine this time. And I'm going to look at the arm that serves the ball next for my double serve problem.

IMG_20170317_183641385 (resized).jpgIMG_20170317_183641385 (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

Going to ask a silly question. But is the game on free play? Have you tried manually putting a couple of credits on to see if the start button lights?

Maybe the batteries are dead and not holding settings?

#16 7 years ago

The schematics say J5 on the coin door board is not used.

You could also test at the board by alligator clipping a diode briefly between j206 pin 1 and J208 pin 3. This will simulate the row/column for the start button.

#17 7 years ago

Batteries are good and holding all settings. I've wiggled cables... wiggled some loose. No light on my start button. I think that I'm going to go over the wiring in the backbox to ensure everything is correct back there. Probably won't get back to this for a week... snowmobile trip to Montana coming up

As for the double serve... still chasing that too. The arm is far away from the switch. I did not get a double serve today when I fired up the game. I did notice the sling switch had a loose wire. gotta check the switch matrix to see if that could have been a possibility.

#18 7 years ago

Did you put a few credits in just to check?

1 week later
#19 7 years ago

I got the start button light to work. It was the wire on the J135 connector not seated very well.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh...also, with an incandescent bulb install in the button, wiggle a few of those wires at the breakout board connectors (and even the driver board ports associated with it) and see if it lights. You might find the bad pin/connection/joint that way.

I win.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I got the start button light to work. It was the wire on the J135 connector not seated very well.

That is the reason I check every single connector pin with my multimeter for continuity before I install any PCB

Same applies to all cables, sockets, fuses, bulbs, micro switches and diodes. If you make a habit to check all these with the multimeter at restoration, you avoid a ton of problems later.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from provato:

That is the reason I check every single connector pin with my multimeter for continuity before I install any PCB
Same applies to all cables, sockets, fuses, bulbs, micro switches and diodes. If you make a habit to check all these with the multimeter at restoration, you avoid a ton of problems later.

I am new to the Multimeter. Could you please tell me how to check the pins with the meter? I guess you put the red multimeter probe in the molex pin then where do you place the black probe to look for continuity? Thanks very much.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Thank you very much for posting the outcome. I have the same exact problem and have been chasing it down for a month. Now I go to learn how to use the damn Fluke Multimeter I bought. You got to be an engineer to use this stuff.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I am new to the Multimeter. Could you please tell me how to check the pins with the meter? I guess you put the red multimeter probe in the molex pin then where do you place the black probe to look for continuity? Thanks very much.

1.Put the multimeter in "diode mode" (or continuity mode). This option usually has a diode symbol ->| and maybe a sound symbol ( because it beeps when continuity is true)
2. Put one of the probe on the molex pin edge (red or black doesn't matter) and the other probe on the next station of the circuitry on the PCB that is connected to the molex pin. If it beeps/lights you have continuity. If the multimeter shows nothing, then check the solder connection of the pin (it might be cracked and will need desolder and re-solder
3.when you check a diode, you must have either a voltage drop across its legs (about 0,25 shows on your multimeter) or zero. This depends on which diode leg you put the red and the black probe. If it beeps or of it shows zero both ways, the diode is bad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Davis, CA
$ 29.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/couple-fh-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.