5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So I was rebuilding a Sys80 pop driver board and I replaced the transistor with a tip102 I had bought from a guy on Amazon 4 years ago. Looking at the bulk packaging I don't think I had used any of these since I bought them.

I put 4 of them into this board and each one shorted on the first use in a machine. I would get 1 pop and it would lock on. On the bench (Clay's bench tester) it worked perfect every time at 12VDC.

I was able to eliminate the 2 ics by testing in known good boards, replaced the caps and tested diodes and resistors. Finally I pulled an old but testing good transistor from a parts pbdb and it works fine.

Is it possible these are counterfeit and would someone go to the trouble to counterfeit parts this cheap?

If not any idea what would cause them to fail so quickly?

#2 5 years ago

It would not surprise me if those were counterfeit. I had several parts that I bought in an NTE package, used them, and they failed immediately. I thought I was missing something, so I sent the board to Chris Hibler. He showed me that the failed part was "blacktopped", and that the part I was using would test OK on a bench, but then would fail under actual conditions.

Look closely at the markings, and see if there's evidence of paint strokes covering the original stamping. Yes, I believe there are people out there who go through the trouble to make these counterfeit. Also, since I've been burned twice, I only get my parts from GPE if possible.

#3 5 years ago

After reading some stuff I've always been pretty hesitant to buy stuff off ebay. They always have those hard to find caps though.
    So far I haven't had any issues at least known issues. I usually test everything before installing, but like you said putting some stuff under a load for a prolonged period of time can be different from bench testing.

Seems like a counterfeiter will do this to any item, if there is any chance to make a profit off of it, regardless of how slim the margins are.

#4 5 years ago

Maybe it's a bad batch...why would you counterfeit a cheap and readily available transistor? Making it look like a Tip102 is like 90% of the work already.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Maybe it's a bad batch...why would you counterfeit a cheap and readily available transistor? Making it look like a Tip102 is like 90% of the work already.

Also possible. Not worth messing with. I'm dumping these in the trash

#6 5 years ago

There must be a bad batch from somewhere. I bought a bunch from digikey, and almost everyone of them failed immediately. Glad i didn't stock up on 100 of them.

#7 5 years ago

Strangely enough - they counterfeit the cheap stuff as often as the pricey stuff. They often take lesser parts and pass them off as the pricier parts. But in this case - the lesser part would be a TIP120 which is pretty much the lowest end of TO-220 darlington transistors....which should also work. My guess.... bad batch.

But a batch from Digikey? That one is rather difficult to believe (not saying I don't believe, just that this would be a really rare occurrence from a franchised seller). Could have been mismarked by the manufacturer.

For something interesting - search for 'counterfeit eggs'.
    An incredible amount of time goes into making one yet they still do this. I suppose they consider their labor 'free' and don't care how long it takes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/counterfeit-tip102?hl=gregh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.