Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Capinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_(resized).jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I am going to sell a pin to a fella I do not know later today. I spoke to him several times and he asked few questions. Basically I am driving up w a trailer and cash.

Anyone ever worry about counterfeit cash?

Any advice or thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Get one of those pens/markers to check the bills.

I think you are worrying too much. Counterfeiters wouldn't leave a trail. You know name and address.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I'd be more concerned that someone has counterfeit bills without realizing it.

#4 7 years ago

Look for the little line inside the bills.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Get one of those pens/markers to check the bills.
    I think you are worrying too much. Counterfeiters wouldn't leave a trail. You know name and address.

If they look and feel good enough that you need the pen to test, ask if he's interested in taking over the repro art business from Classic Arcades.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

If they look and feel good enough that you need the pen to test, ask if he's interested in taking over the repro art business from Classic Arcades.

Excellent.

#8 7 years ago

I sold my Star Trek Pro to a guy recently. He paid me in $20 bills. He said it was his "play money", he had to pay in cash to hide from his wife, haha. I checked every bill. Just hold it up to the light. New $20 and $100 bills will still have the small strip that is visible, it's on the left side of the bill about 1/3 of the way over. The newer bills also have a big blue strip right on the front of the bill, that's for added security on the newer ones but don't be concerned if its not there because most bills circulating don't have it. There is also a "Portrait Watermark" on the right right of the bill when looking at it from the face side. It will be a very fuzzy image of president Jackson that you can see when held up to the light.

#9 7 years ago

I can think of 1000 things that are worth worrying about that are more likely to happen.
    Your far more likely to get robbed.

#10 7 years ago

I just spread out the bills and draw a line over all of them at once with a counterfeit marker. Takes 3 seconds, makes me feel better about taking thousands of dollars in cash. I bring a marker when I pay for games too.

#11 7 years ago

The newer bills have a number of clearly identifiable marks, but for the amount of non-pin Craigslist transactions I do, it was worth the $3 purchase of a pen at Office Max/Depot/Staples.

#12 7 years ago

I always ask for $100 bills if over $2K. If they bring them in a bank envelope and banded it adds trust. I usually tell them that they came this way from the bank to ensure trust when I am paying. Hold them up to the light. Compare them. Feel the texture. Use the pen.

A guy paid me $4500 in loose $20 bills once and I had to recount several times. Never did get it right. That is 225 bills. Ended up short $60 when I got home and recounted.

#13 7 years ago

That's why it surprises me that it's frowned upon to accept paypal. They know PayPal is real money and the right amount. It's the safest and easiest way in my opinion.

#14 7 years ago

I would use the pen if it was someone you didn't know.

If counterfeit bills were that easy to spot, then there would be no need for the pens and machines to weed them out of our banking system.

#15 7 years ago

FYI. The pens only indicate you are dealing with real paper, not photo copies etc. One way to counterfeit is to bleach lower denomination notes and reprint higher ones on the real paper. Like using $1.00 bills to make $100.00 ones. That embedded strip that actually reads the denomination like TEN etc. Is one of the best ways to know for sure.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

That's why it surprises me that it's frowned upon to accept paypal. They know PayPal is real money and the right amount. It's the safest and easiest way in my opinion.

The right amount minus paypals fees and any claims the buyer might file later.

#17 7 years ago

Thanks Guys.

I just wanted to throw that out there.I will use your suggestions. I am not real worried about it. Was just curious if I should be looking out for anything.
    I have the Saudi Prince coming to check it out after so there can be a bidding war!

Thanks again

#18 7 years ago

I'll buy that machine when you're done with it.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

When shipping a game I usually have people do the PayPal gift option and do a video chat whether it be facetime or Skype with them when the shipper arrives to load up the game when they see that it's loaded they send funds through PayPal gift and once it shows received (which is instant)then let the shipper drive off One word of advice if you choose to do it this way is call PayPal Ahead of time and tell them you are sending your friend money also tell them the amount I have had an issue in the past where PayPal locked the transaction and it made it a real pain in the ass ($1000 a day in that case I let the shipper go on the buyers word thankfully it was all legit lesson learned though) call them ahead of time and clarify that it is happening they don't view it as suspicious

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

Yes, the easiest way for a buyer to get their money back after receiving a game. The seller is a at a huge disadvantage with Paypal.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

The right amount minus paypals fees and any claims the buyer might file later.

Is this something that happens often? Is it easy for it to happen? I've sold hundreds of things on ebay and never had an issue. Carrying thousands in cash sounds a lot less appealing. Nobody was ever robbed at gunpoint and told to transfer money via PayPal. Just saying.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes, the easiest way for a buyer to get their money back after receiving a game. The seller is a at a huge disadvantage with Paypal.

I would assume the buyer has to return the goods if they want their money back. Is that correct?

#23 7 years ago

For a long while, I worked with a loss prevention department at an amusement park. Our job was to handle all the incoming cash, check it for counterfeiting, and balance tills. We would have thousands upon thousands of bills to check.

Flat out, the easiest/quickest way to check for a counterfeit these days, by hand, is to just look at the water mark, and make sure that it matches properly with whatever bill is at hand. Money markers are nice, but the latest trend in counterfeiting bills is to bleach out a $1 or $5 so that it's blank, then print a 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, or even early 90s series $100 or $50 onto it. These bills will pass the money marker test (because it's composition is that of a real bill), and it will look and feel darn convincing. The giveaway though is that $1 bills do not have a watermark, and $5s have a Lincoln watermark. Genuine $50s and $100s from those older series will have watermarks of Grant and Franklin respectively. If anything doesn't "line up" that bill is a fake--every time.

Now, older big bills that do not have a watermark will have one last saving grace feature to look for to spot the real deal: interwoven threads that are red and blue. Smaller bills won't have that, and therefore if anyone tried to bleach a small bill and print big money on them, you can tell by looking for the threads.

So, leave that money marker in your desk, and just hold the bill up to the sun for a second, and you'll be safe.

FYI, for anyone who wants to know, money markers are just markers with watered down iodine in them. Iodine reacts to organic compounds like wood pulp and turns brown/black on contact. Since American money is made of cotton and other things other than paper, the iodine doesn't react and turn brown. It just stays yellow.

#24 7 years ago

Just got some twenties and hundreds that the marker failed to catch

#25 7 years ago

I use a pen and look for the strip in the bill. You can also use a magnet, the ink is magnetic. Yeah im not shitting you.

#26 7 years ago

I ended up buying a pen and checking every bill. Was not a problem. Very smooth transaction.

Thanks Again

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

PayPal is safe for the most part if done right. There is a risk in anything IMO. Yesterday there was a story locally about a guy using counterfeit $$ at Walmart and pulling it off pretty easily.

With PayPal, I would never do a local transaction unless I knew the person or they had numerous people vouch for their credibility. I believe it's over $250 you need signature confirmation. With an item like a pin, it needs to be shipped with a reputable company that will leave signed shipping documents. Make sure it is shipping to a confirmed PayPal address too. (STI documents etc.)

I've called Paypal and asked about a scenario where the buyer picks up game from my home. I make a copy of their Drivers License and they sign indicating pick up of game in good condition. They said it wouldn't matter, over a certain amount a "signature on receipt" delivery service is required for seller protection. Same thing goes for smaller items of value sold on Ebay. I also take tons of pictures and use something to document a current date.

With that said, cash would still be my choice in most situations.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

Paypal is not a bank and they and time like to lock up your cash.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

Nobody was ever robbed at gunpoint and told to transfer money via PayPal.

Of course they weren't. The gun would be unnecessary. All you need to rob someone via Paypal is a bullshit claim and no evidence to back it up.

Quoted from ercvacation:

I would assume the buyer has to return the goods if they want their money back. Is that correct?

Nope, no requirement for the buyer to do anything. It's why I no longer use Paypal. It's about as secure as sending cash through the post.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

PayPal is safe for the most part if done right. There is a risk in anything IMO. Yesterday there was a story locally about a guy using counterfeit $$ at Walmart and pulling it off pretty easily.

If the funding source for paypal was a credit card, a chargeback can be issued.

So, no, not entirely safe.

#31 7 years ago

I once bought a bunch of silver coins through Apmex and had them shipped to me. It was kind of scary, but the package was insured.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Of course they weren't. The gun would be unnecessary. All you need to rob someone via Paypal is a bullshit claim and no evidence to back it up.

Nope, no requirement for the buyer to do anything. It's why I no longer use Paypal. It's about as secure as sending cash through the post.

Have you ever tried? It's not easy at all. Millions of transactions a day, but all you have to do is a BS claim with no evidence and your money is refunded. Sure, if you say so.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If the funding source for paypal was a credit card, a chargeback can be issued.
    So, no, not entirely safe.

I own a business and have had people file various claims stating we didn't ship or fulfill an order over the years. I show proof of the order and that it was shipped. I've never had an unjustified claim charge backed.

I just think there are some Pinsiders that take hearsay for fact. I have filed a dispute on the receiving end. It was obvious that it was the sellers lack of representation. It was not easy to get any type of credit back. I provided tons of pictures, sellers description and so on. My options were to ship it back (at my cost / 300 lbs pinball machine...no thanks) We did come to a mutual agreement, but it was far from totally screwing the seller over.

Nothing is 100%. IMO PayPal is safer then giving out my CC number to every other site I place an online order at. I've used it for hundreds of transactions from $1 to $9000.

#34 7 years ago

You don't need a pen. Just hold the bills up to the light and you can easily see the portrait watermark and strip.

#35 7 years ago

I guess this thread would lead into another question--has anyone *caught* someone trying pass you phony cash?

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I guess this thread would lead into another question--has anyone *caught* someone trying pass you phony cash?

In the past when I worked at a retail store occasionally fake money would get passed off every now and again. If we sent fake currency in the bank deposit, black car tinted window feds would sometimes get involved. Specially if a lot of fake currency was getting passed off in the area.

The pen markers are near worthless for detecting fake money. If you have handled lots of american cash, you can typically tell right away if the paper is wrong by the way feels in your hand. As stated above the feel of the money, watermark, and strip are the best ways to tell.

#37 7 years ago

With PayPal gift option the buyer has no recourse and cannot file a claim. That's why I do a video chat as the shipper loads the machine then have the buyer send the funds as a paypal gift once I get the conformation email I let the shipping company leave with the game

#39 7 years ago

I've never once worried about getting counterfeit money and have probably sold 100 games over the past 15 years... and never had it happen. Generally what happens is I have a fun time chatting with someone about the hobby, we figure out the mutual people we've met, and then network for future events, deals and share tips.

#40 7 years ago

ForceFlow,

Good question. One of my best friends is a local Sheriff. He recently told me of being called in on a report of someone attempting to use fake bills for a private sales purchase. Apparently, it is not crazy difficult to spot a fake just on feel alone? But, That is what really jump started my post. The sale came on sudden and when I could not reach him I figured why not post.

The buyer could not have been a nicer guy. It will not surprise me at all if we keep in touch and do more pinball deals in the future. He lived a couple hours away so unfortunately, no real time to play.

#42 7 years ago

If you get stuck with one pass it off to the auto checkout at Wallmart.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

If you get stuck with one pass it off to the auto checkout at Wallmart.

I don't know, committing a felony wouldn't be my first course of action after getting ripped off.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from bax:

Apparently, it is not crazy difficult to spot a fake just on feel alone?

This is probably the easiest way to spot a fake once you get to feel some counterfeit bills. You get really used to it after a while.

Glad your transaction was nice and smooth.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Nothing is 100%. IMO PayPal is safer then giving out my CC number to every other site I place an online order at. I've used it for hundreds of transactions from $1 to $9000.

The difference is if your credit card is used fraudulently the cc company cannot freeze your paypal account for a few months while they investigate and there are consumer protection laws limiting your liability to $50 in the USA.

When PayPal freezes your account you are at their mercy. If they decide to keep your money, tough luck. Good luck in the binding arbitration in a few months.

You're far less likely to be robbed at gunpoint, it's simply too risky. Steal face to face or steal from a few hundred or thousand miles away over the internet... which do you think is safer for the thief?

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drewblood419:

With PayPal gift option the buyer has no recourse and cannot file a claim. That's why I do a video chat as the shipper loads the machine then have the buyer send the funds as a paypal gift once I get the conformation email I let the shipping company leave with the game

No true. Any CC funded PayPal transaction could be charged back.

I am willing to take a $100 deposit as a gift via PayPal. But ONLY if it is agreed ahead of time that the remainder is paid in cash upon pick up.

I've done this at least 10 times as seller and buyer and I have never had a problem.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

No true. Any CC funded PayPal transaction could be charged back.

You can't send a "gift" payment with credit card funds though. So credit card chargerbacks wouldn't apply to PayPal gift payments.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

You can't send a "gift" payment with credit card funds though. So credit card chargerbacks wouldn't apply to PayPal gift payments.

Yes, you can.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Yes, you can.

Right, if you pay the fees. Forgot about that.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Right, if you pay the fees. Forgot about that.

Yup. I always do that - I don't mind paying the fee for a little piece of mind - like if I need to ever do a chargeback or something..

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/counterfeit-bills-any-worries and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.