(Topic ID: 111144)

Countdown to the hobbit hitting theaters! 17 Days!

By lordloss

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aladdin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I just realized the hobbit is only 17 days away, this means that we will get a huge update potentially from JJP on the final version of the hobbit pin around the same time.

So far we have:
*new shot into the bumpers that will be changing
*Final PF/cabinet art that will have images from the third movie
*Changes to Smaug and his tail/body

#2 5 years ago

I didn't like the first movie. Enjoyed the second. So I'll go see the third and hope for the best.

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

Never really been a fan of The Hobbit or LOTR's, some cool stuff in there and definitely great theme for pinball machines, I did enjoy the second Hobbit film however and now that I have the pin coming next year looking forward to the final installment.

#4 5 years ago

I got two pre-release passes for Dec 10 for my son and I. Should be fun.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

*Final PF/cabinet art that will have images from the third movie
*Changes to Smaug and his tail/body

Are these confirmed or conjecture?

--Luke

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Are these confirmed or conjecture?
--Luke

I recall JJP saying the final art package would be coming.

#7 5 years ago

16 days!

#8 5 years ago

15 days

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I just realized the hobbit is only 17 days away

I think you refer to the release date of 17 December in the USA. In The Netherlands the release is on 10 December.

#10 5 years ago

ZZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZ...

Wake me up when hollywood puts out a version that isn't mutilated into a LOTR prequel. Until then I will stick to the old cartoon version. Funny how it actually manages to follow the story even on a budget.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Wake me up when hollywood puts out a version that isn't mutilated into a LOTR prequel

While I think the old cartoon was well done - I think the movies are pretty cool as well. Have you seen the last film? LOTR movies were epic, and I think the battle of five armies will feel equally as epic.

#12 5 years ago

I can't wait to see people dressed up as Hobbit Cosplay at the pre-screening, should be interesting.

#13 5 years ago

I haven't been super impressed by the first two movies (I could probably write a 10 page article on all the crap that I thought was subpar...

e.g. the first 20 odd minutes of the second movie just being "them getting horses" so they ride to the actual start of the movie. Any other movie would have just actually started at the entrance to Mirkwood. But when you're turning a 200 page book into 9+ hours of movie, you get to be verrrrrry indulgent.

The one review I have seen so far does not fill me with hope; if the best parts of the hobbit trilogy have already been seen, this movie must be one weak sack of crap:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/12/01/the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-review

Oh well, worst case scenario is I am wrong and this movie pleasantly surprises me. Kinda like what can come out of the hobbit pinball at this point. Hmmph.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

ZZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZ...
Wake me up when hollywood puts out a version that isn't mutilated into a LOTR prequel. Until then I will stick to the old cartoon version. Funny how it actually manages to follow the story even on a budget.

Just sit back and wait for a good fan edit to hit the internet. Once they're all available in digital HD some enterprising fans will undoubtedly trim this mess down to a reasonable 2 hours. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

BTW, The Hobbit's Wikipedia page has some history on the "LOTR prequel" issue -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit#Revisions. It's interesting to see the changes Tolkien made to later editions of The Hobbit to conform with LOTR. You can imagine how much s*#t Tolkien would take if he were making those revisions today instead of in 1951. And I say this as someone who's still disgusted with George Lucas for messing with the original trilogy.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

...the first 20 odd minutes of the second movie just being "them getting horses" so they ride to the actual start of the movie. Any other movie would have just actually started at the entrance to Mirkwood.

They had to establish the Beorn character. He is very impactful in the book if you recall.

#16 5 years ago

I usually wait till these movies come out on Blu-Ray so I can watch them with pee breaks and stretch breaks ...but I dunno, maybe I'll go see this one in the theater so I can wrap it all up!

#17 5 years ago

Might as well Rarehero....it's the holidays!

#18 5 years ago

Lordloss, I'll take this one,

Only a fortnight to go.........................

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I haven't been super impressed by the first two movies (I could probably write a 10 page article on all the crap that I thought was subpar...
e.g. the first 20 odd minutes of the second movie just being "them getting horses" so they ride to the actual start of the movie. Any other movie would have just actually started at the entrance to Mirkwood. But when you're turning a 200 page book into 9+ hours of movie, you get to be verrrrrry indulgent.
The one review I have seen so far does not fill me with hope; if the best parts of the hobbit trilogy have already been seen, this movie must be one weak sack of crap:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/12/01/the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-review
Oh well, worst case scenario is I am wrong and this movie pleasantly surprises me. Kinda like what can come out of the hobbit pinball at this point. Hmmph.

So far the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes look really favorable.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

So far the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes look really favorable.

I'll look later, but honestly early reviews usually are. Not sure if it has to do with the NDA's critics sign or not but it seems like people are free to write positive reviews in advance, and less positive reviews on the release day or weekend.

Quoted from Goronic:

They had to establish the Beorn character. He is very impactful in the book if you recall.

Fair enough, that's why I have been fairly merciful on flushing the whole trilogy until I see it all. Just evaluating that particular film, it looks like a horrendous waste of space. If he is only in the next movie for a few minutes, spending twenty minutes to set him up still seems questionable.

What really blows me away is the extended editions, 13 extra minutes for the first film and apparently 25(!) for the second. I thought they had used every second of footage they filmded for the theatrical cuts based on what made it in, apparently I was wrong

I'll have to check those out... someday.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

If he is only in the next movie for a few minutes, spending twenty minutes to set him up still seems questionable.

We'll, don't want to give any spoilers, but if it is like the book - he won't be forgotten (lets put it like that)

Also, I love the extended editions. Take for instance the black river part in the book (last movie) when the dwarves were going through Mirkwood - I was disappointed it wasn't in the movie. But guess what, Peter has it in the extended edition.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

BTW, The Hobbit's Wikipedia page has some history on the "LOTR prequel" issue -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit#Revisions. It's interesting to see the changes Tolkien made to later editions of The Hobbit to conform with LOTR. You can imagine how much s*#t Tolkien would take if he were making those revisions today instead of in 1951. And I say this as someone who's still disgusted with George Lucas for messing with the original trilogy.

The changes Tolkien made were relatively minor. Hobbit was written as a story for his kids. The LOTR was written when they were older and hence more adult. The Silmarillion was never finished, but there are multiple known edits he made over the years. He was known to rewrite things or add back story to make the world more cohesive. If anyone wants something to listen to try this http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectures/

Quoted from Goronic:

While I think the old cartoon was well done - I think the movies are pretty cool as well. Have you seen the last film? LOTR movies were epic, and I think the battle of five armies will feel equally as epic.

The movies are a hollywood hack job to create the LOTR 0.5. The hobbit is supposed to be a light hearted kid's tale. Was pretty excited for the first one. Barely made it through the second. Jackson made changes to bring LOTR to the screen and it was fine. This thing though, is a monstrosity.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

What really blows me away is the extended editions, 13 extra minutes for the first film and apparently 25(!) for the second. I thought they had used every second of footage they filmded for the theatrical cuts based on what made it in, apparently I was wrong
I'll have to check those out... someday.

I usually only watch the Extended Editions. I saw LOTR 1 in the theater and was bored silly...but then after getting the pin, I wanted to revisit it...so I watched all 3 extended & enjoyed them...I also enjoyed being able to watch half of it one day & half the next.

I've seen Hobbit 1 Extended...but buckled and watched 2 theatrical edition on HBO - but I'm going to buy the Extended 3D Blu-Ray soon and watch it.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

The changes Tolkien made were relatively minor. Hobbit was written as a story for his kids. The LOTR was written when they were older and hence more adult. The Silmarillion was never finished, but there are multiple known edits he made over the years. He was known to rewrite things or add back story to make the world more cohesive. If anyone wants something to listen to try this http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectures/

I'm not defending the new Hobbit movies -- I've only seen the first one and I was seriously disappointed. And I don't think anyone could argue that Tolkien would have liked the films (Hobbit or LOTR). Just pointing out that the temptation to retcon is pretty strong, and Tolkien was not immune to it himself.

#25 5 years ago

I'm still waiting for my Guardian's of the Galaxy blu-ray to show up so I can watch it for the first time.

#26 5 years ago

I personally thought the Hobbit movies where....Ok at its best. Just like the LOTR they were long and drawn out. I nodded off a few times in all of them but I loved the story line. Im thinking they could have shortened it some what and it would have still been a great movie.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinister:

I personally thought the Hobbit movies where....Ok at its best. Just like the LOTR they were long and drawn out. I nodded off a few times in all of them but I loved the story line. Im thinking they could have shortened it some what and it would have still been a great movie.

Yeah I'm just at a point where I don't overthink it...I just kind of enjoy the artistry behind it. I think we're all a little jaded about movies these days - we've seen it all....but I think if I was a kid, these movies would blow my mind.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah I'm just at a point where I don't overthink it...I just kind of enjoy the artistry behind it. I think we're all a little jaded about movies these days - we've seen it all....but I think if I was a kid, these movies would blow my mind.

I totally agree. As a kid these movies take you into another world just like Star wars did for me. And since I am all in on the Machine It would be just plane silly not to see the last movie. In Order to really enjoy the game and get the most out of it, you have to at least know the story line.

#29 5 years ago

Non-Spoiler

My son and I just saw the movie. If the Pinball will be like the movie, GET READY FOR WAR!!!!
We thought it was great. If you've enjoyed the series, you'll enjoy this movie.
If you fall asleep in this one, you might want to get your heart checked.

I can't wait to play the pinball.
It was pretty cool, we got a free backlit movie poster and two iphone 6 cases.

#30 5 years ago

I forgot to say that they made it a big point to ensure that all of us had our 3D Glasses, but when the movie started, everyone was mumbling, "I don't see anything?".
Turns out, they played the non-3D version

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Turns out, they played the non-3D version

Doh!

When I saw the second movie at Jordan's IMAX in 3D, they have these crazy house lights that whiz around and dance on the screen before the show. They couldn't get them turned off and we had to watch in horror as red white and blue spotlights washed out the first 15 minutes of the film. They had to restart twice and still it was happening (some sequence kept triggering it on) until they finally got it right.

#32 5 years ago

I highly recommend this movie for kids maybe 12 and up.
I took away a few life lessons that are great for kids:
1. What GREED will do to you
2. Coward ness
3. True Friendship
4. Love
5. Greater cause
6. Good will always defeat Evil

I can't wait to discuss this movie next week after some of you have seen it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside