Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jojo22
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys, just bought a new pascal all in one board for my gottlieb countdown as the old board stopped working, and now I'm having more issues. I can't start a game, because it says check "coil 8" which the manual says is the red target bank reset. The strange thing is, when the old board was working, I never had an issue with that solenoid. Apart from that, there's also no sound out of the speaker or chimes. Any ideas before I dive into it? A friend suggested pulling a wire off that solenoid and seeing what happens.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from jojo22:

A friend suggested pulling a wire off that solenoid and seeing what happens.

you could try that. Have you emailed Pascal?
I'd do that right away and see what he says

#3 9 years ago

well the thing is, my buddy had a pascal board, and the same thing happened. His board works in his joker poker. I don't think the new board is the problem, but I could be wrong.

#4 9 years ago

OK before your "old" boards stopped working, did coil 8 work?
The reason I say email Pascal is because Pascal will help troubleshoot the way through the issue.
He knows his PCBs inside and out.
Did you try your board in your friend's Joker Poker?
Did you disconnect a wire from coil 8 and see if the message went away?

#5 9 years ago

Coil 8 worked with the old board. I did email Pascal, thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried disconnecting it yet, but I will soon. Wanted to see what other input I might get first.

#6 9 years ago

Pascal gives great support i had the same issue on a game with a short in wiring .It sounds like the board could not drive coil 8 at game start .The board test fires all the coils before starting a game if you disconnect the coil it will give you the same error.Its possible there's a bad coil on your game or someone used on another game that had a short or bad coil and took out the drive transistor there should be some spares that were shipped with board

#7 9 years ago

Pascal's PCBs have a circuit that protects against shorted coils, shuts down power to the coils.
jojo, so you are saying coil 8 worked fine with the original gottlieb board set, CPU, Driver and power supply? And then you installed the all in one and now coil 8 doesn't work? You did nothing else, just installed the all in one?

Quoted from jojo22:

well the thing is, my buddy had a pascal board, and the same thing happened. His board works in his joker poker.

Don't understand "the same thing happened". Are you saying your friend had the same coil 8 message in his JP as you have in your Genie?

Quoted from jojo22:

His board works in his joker poker.

Did you try your board in his JP and vice versa?

Quoted from jojo22:

I don't think the new board is the problem, but I could be wrong.

Well if coil 8 worked with original boards and then all you did was install pascal's board coil 8 should work unless something is wrong with the board!
Have you looked at your connectors contacts for corrosion? System 1 is notorious for contact and connector issues,
Have you checked the connector and contact that drives coil 8?
I have a Genie. I'll look up where coil 8 drive is coming from and then you can check contacts.

#8 9 years ago

I owned this countdown table for over a year, and it had all the original boards with new connectors. It started having issues with going into tilt, and then finally wouldnt boot at all. But while it was working, all the coils were working. My buddy brought his pascal board over and the machine booted, this is how we verified the old board was bad. However, it showed an error message with coil 8. He removed it and I ordered the all in one, installed it and got the same error message. I'm not sure what happened in the interum, to cause the coil to possibly stop working. I assumed the new board was good because my friend's board works perfectly in the joker poker he owns, and mine gave the same message his did. hopefully that clears up the confusion a little. The connector contacts are all new and look good, but I guess one of them could be iffy. I'll keep that in mind.

#9 9 years ago

Hmm, guessing, but coil 8 may have too little resistance, It may have still worked but with low resistance would be overdriving the transistors that drive it. Maybe try measuring the resistance of coil 8 and compare to what it should be.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from jojo22:

Hey guys, just bought a new pascal all in one board for my gottlieb countdown as the old board stopped working, and now I'm having more issues. I can't start a game, because it says check "coil 8" which the manual says is the red target bank reset. The strange thing is, when the old board was working, I never had an issue with that solenoid. Apart from that, there's also no sound out of the speaker or chimes. Any ideas before I dive into it? A friend suggested pulling a wire off that solenoid and seeing what happens.

This may sound silly, but did you wire directly from the board to the speaker? With a Pascal all in one, you have to do that as the original sound board is no longer connected.

My guess is, if it's tell you coil 8 is bad, it's bad. Check the resistance.

#11 9 years ago

E-mail pascal he will walk you trough trouble shooting his boards . I have used 5 of them they all worked great .The only issue was a short in game wiring. That damaged board transistor . Also There should be a black and red wire that connects from the board to the speaker

#12 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys. I did email Pascal and he got back to me. I have some things to check on tonight so I'll report back. I did see a wire provided for the speaker, I have not connected it yet. Again, greatly appreciated!

#13 9 years ago

Problem has been Fixed! It was a simple fuse that was shorted, the 5A 25V on the bottom board. The diode on the pop bumper was reversed, and I think that's what cause it. replaced the fuse and switched the diode around and everything works great. Thanks for all the help!

#14 9 years ago

a fuse is supposed to be shorted. none the less, enjoy your CountDown!

#15 9 years ago

Sorry, dead*

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/countdown-problems-with-new-pascal-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.