(Topic ID: 263150)

Could you (would you) shop this in 1 day?

By Cserold

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QuarterlyHastyDonkey-small.gif
Dirt Dauber (resized).png
IMG_5416.jpg
#1 4 years ago

I referred our go to Dallas tech wizard (Evan the Pinsmith) to some friends that inherited an old Grand Prix EM and just wanted it working again. Evan agreed to take the job and the pic below is what he found when he showed up. He arrived around 1pm and had the thing fully cleaned and working by 11pm. I’m not sure he is going to take my referrals anymore. Lol.

You guys ever seen a cab this infested with dirt dobber nests?

IMG_5416.jpgIMG_5416.jpg
#3 4 years ago

I live by a creek..in this area....and we don't even get anywhere near that many mud dauber nests in the carports and whatnot around us.

That's TOTALLY BATSHIT, and hell no, I would not want to be the one working on that. I don't know how in the hell he got that done in 10 hours, but I'd love to see an "after" picture....

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I live by a creek..in this area....and we don't even get anywhere near that many mud dauber nests in the carports and whatnot around us.
That's TOTALLY BATSHIT, and hell no, I would not want to be the one working on that. I don't know how in the hell he got that done in 10 hours, but I'd love to see an "after" picture....

Totally agree. Evan is a machine and obviously went way above and beyond for this family. They are very grateful. I couldn’t believe it when he sent me the pic. I felt bad! Lol

#5 4 years ago

I’m sorry - I’m from New England - what the HOLY FAHCK are those monstrosities!?!?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I’m sorry - I’m from New England - what the HOLY FAHCK are those monstrosities!?!?

I’m dying laughing at this man. Made my day. Edit: Guess I should explain. They are "mud" or "dirt" dauber nests. They are wasp looking like creatures that are all black and build those things from dirt/water for nests. Look like alien pods.

#8 4 years ago

Wtf is a dobber

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Wtf is a dobber

a big wasp that builds mud nests anywhere

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Wtf is a dobber

I misspelled it which is perhaps the point of your post. It’s dauber.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I misspelled it which is perhaps the point of your post. It’s dauber.

No, I wasn’t being that way. I wouldn’t have known what a dauber is either.

#12 4 years ago

Had these when I lived in Houston. 22 years of living in the SF Bay Area and I'm still finding stuff in my garage with those things hidden somewhere.

#13 4 years ago

I found ONE dauber nest in the backbox of my WH2O and it freaked me out! Lol
This sight is nightmare fuel! Haha

#14 4 years ago

I probably would have just lowered the playfield, slid the glass back in and listed it on CL.

Dirt Dauber (resized).pngDirt Dauber (resized).png
#15 4 years ago

I’d love to see an “after” picture.

#16 4 years ago

Good Lord! I'd of lowered the PF with a "thanks but no thanks" and been on my way. Kudos to him.

#17 4 years ago

Man thats scary! I bought a Landcruiser recently and was under it when I noticed hundreds of these things. I know they won't hurt you but it still gives me the creeps.

#18 4 years ago

I would try the board removal- pressure wash method on this. Luckily water melts that scum right off. Been wanting to try this since reading about how successful it works, SOP for the Bingo games.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

I probably would have just lowered the playfield, slid the glass back in and listed it on CL.[quoted image]

Excuse me while I vomit.

#20 4 years ago

I'd pay to see a time lapse video of that cleanup

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

I probably would have just lowered the playfield, slid the glass back in and listed it on CL.[quoted image]

.... saying "probably needs a fuse"

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

I'd pay to see a time lapse video of that cleanup

Good call. That would be sweet:

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I’m dying laughing at this man. Made my day. Edit: Guess I should explain. They are "mud" or "dirt" dauber nests. They are wasp looking like creatures that are all black and build those things from dirt/water for nests. Look like alien pods.

The nests are full of dead spider bodies too. They store them there to feed off of. We get them a lot here as well.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

dead spider bodies too

#25 4 years ago
QuarterlyHastyDonkey-small.gifQuarterlyHastyDonkey-small.gif
#26 4 years ago

I've encountered them lol, not that bad, but pretty close, they crumble fairly easy

Sure does make a mess though! Good on Him!

#27 4 years ago

So...what was the final bill on that service?

#28 4 years ago

Unbelievable. Wow! Kudos to him for tackling that job. I'm in awe

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The nests are full of dead spider bodies too. They store them there to feed off of. We get them a lot here as well.

Oh, is that what all the crunchy bug parts are inside there? I saw a bunch of that when I knocked a few off our patio. I just figured the daubers had died inside the nest.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Going to guess unless he gave them some kind of discount it was over 600.... I know what his rates were last time I contacted him....but I've always ended up cancelling any appointment I made with him because I figure out the issue first.

#31 4 years ago

this is hilarious. I had a surf champ that was pretty darn close to this bad. It was actually easier to clean up than I thought it would be. Had my son hold the shopvac as I crumbled them in my hands he sucked it up.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

[quoted image]

Should have just nuked it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

#33 4 years ago

A pinball machine is like a damn condo for these creatures

#34 4 years ago

I've been ignoring this and "Pinball Horror Pics", admit don't want to see this mess again. I mean,Alien? We have it right here. Still not scared of Mud Daubers but the Visual is Killer.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I don't know what the cost was but do know that Evan honored his initial quote (which was given without seeing the inside). Thankfully, I think the owners paid him more.

#36 4 years ago

Bet Evan used a pressure washer , then a blOwer to dry it .. Most likely NOT , but to get all the mUd nests out and shoped and working in 10 hrs ,, WoW

He's da man !!!!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Bet Evan used a pressure washer , then a blOwer to dry it .. Most likely NOT , but to get all the mUd nests out and shoped and working in 10 hrs ,, WoW
He's da man !!!!

Ha. No water or blower

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

[quoted image]

I HATE this so much!!

#39 4 years ago

Impressive to get any neglected EM in playable shape in a day... especially one as nasty as that!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Ha. No water or blower

I just can’t understand how he got that many mud dauber nests off of and around all those switches. At work I run into them all the time wedged between doors and frames, windows etc. and they are not easy to get off without scraping or blasting them with water. Yes they crumble but they seriously cling to the surface of where they are started.

I can only guess he used some sharp blades and a good shop vac? Incredible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-you-would-you-shop-this-in-1-day?hl=rhaegal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.