Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by way2wyrd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dd2-270.jpg
dd1-409.jpg
dd3-181.jpg
dd4-727.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi Folks,
I'm back to work on my Dipsy Doodle (among others)... Here's the problem... After a decently smooth reset (I'm reworking score reels soon) I have a buzzing (and hot) score motor...
dd3-181.jpgdd4-727.jpg
After reset, the score motor does not run, it buzzes, and while it is buzzing, nothing on top will score. It does however, run while it is resetting...

But alas, then my sharp sense of smell picked up a heated electrical pinball aroma (arent they delightful) after unplugging EVERYTHING I investigated and found the culprit...
dd2-270.jpg
dd1-409.jpg

here's what I have done...
-checked topside switches for stuck sw
-checked for multiple score points--found none
-left the game unplugged!!

dd4-727.jpg

#2 4 years ago

There many things that can start then score motor. If it runs during machine reset, then it sounds like the Scr Motor works. If it is not starting during game play (only Buzzing) you need to start by cleaning and adjusting SWs that will start the Scr Motor during play like the Eject and Outhole Res.

Was scr motor coil always that colour, is that new?

What is the other coil in the Pics above? looks like a knocker.

#3 4 years ago

Yes, the knocker (or probably a bell ringer) is what was smoking hot... like burn the place down hot. It is in the back of the cabinet. I have all of the plastics off of the PF, so no bumper switches are stuck, I will check the eject and outhole res...

any idea what might be trying to ring the bell?

I have schematics, but trying to read them makes my head spin... any tips on that w/b great too..
thx

#4 4 years ago

ok,
a little more info here... i could find no RE that were not adjusted correctly, checking all of them actually...

I can restart the machine and there is NO buzzing, it is only when it tries to score does the buzzing occur and no score is recorded... I have tried tens, hundreds and thousand, giving the same result... a buzz on the SCR Motor and nothing on the score reels, AND that coil gets hot, pretty quick (have not disconnected that yet)

thx

#5 4 years ago

so, when it tries to score, it sounds like something is actually getting in the way and jamming the SCR motor... but this does not seem to be the case because it runs fine during restart (when I manually add points to the reels)

hrmmm

#6 4 years ago

Looking at the schematics, you will see there is a large bell (Ref 21-22 on the schematics). Through NC contacts on the 'Doodle Bug RE' the 10 and 100 point relays energise the bell. Looks that you have closed contacts on either the 10 or 100 points relays. Are one of these relays energised ?

#7 4 years ago

yes, yes indeed, its the 100 that is activated, so what is the best way to track down the problem maker? am I looking for a 100 point switch?

#8 4 years ago

Yes, I would be thoroughly checking any PF switches/contacts which score 100 points. I see there are 2 roll over switches on the lower PF which I would check.

#9 4 years ago

Check the doodle bug switch itself. Then start putting paper in between suspect switches. You shoudl be able to narrow it down pretty quick

--Jeff

#10 4 years ago

ok thanks
the roll overs are fine (or they LOOK fine, no multi meter on them yet) definately open on the contacts though... as for the bug itself... will check that... no other 100 pointers that I can see

#11 4 years ago

any chance that the burned out coil is actually the culprit?

#12 4 years ago

doodle bug switch seems fine too...

#13 4 years ago

Does it occur on all 4 players or only on a certain player?

#14 4 years ago

the machine will currently only score the 10s, and wont even roll those over to hundreds after 10 of them... I am rebuilding the score reels next right after I fix this issue

there is apparently an issue with the player changer thing as it will only run player 1 and sometimes 2... need a rebuild there,

as for the doodle but, when activated, it does little, but that is another day...

i unplugged the bad coil, so no burning down the house... seems like the first thing I need to fix...

[sigh]

#15 4 years ago

I have seen something similar happen on a Lady Luck. In my case the roll overs were all gummed up and they acted like a temporarily stuck switch. Once I cleaned them up the score reels advanced properly instead of hanging up.

#16 4 years ago

ok so lets try this. If you manually activate the 100 pt relay does it stay stuck

#17 4 years ago

Hey Way2wyrd... I see you have Austin on your tag... was there last week, had a chance to visit Pinbalz, kinda cool but I have to say I'm used to free replays! Will try the relay and see from there... thanks

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from orykzinyo:

I have seen something similar happen on a Lady Luck. In my case the roll overs were all gummed up and they acted like a temporarily stuck switch. Once I cleaned them up the score reels advanced properly instead of hanging up.

roll overs seem clean, but I will check them, thanks.

#19 4 years ago

Ok,
so the roll overs are smooth as silk, no problems there... the doodle bug has no obvious problems...

the 100 pt relay does stick when manually activated...

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

ok so lets try this. If you manually activate the 100 pt relay does it stay stuck

Quoted from fotoboy:

the 100 pt relay does stick when manually activated...

i think you are getting somewhere...

two things come to mind...

- swap the return spring on that relay with a spring from a similar relay and then do the manually actuate routine and see if it releases...

- the armature is magnetized and "sticking"...

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

the machine will currently only score the 10s, and wont even roll those over to hundreds after 10 of them...

when the 10's reel "rolls over" and goes from 9 to 0, it should fire the 100 point relay in order "score" 100 points... did you check the switches on the 10's reel to make sure you don't have a switch stuck closed there?

it's not "rolling over to hundreds" because it can't if the 100 point relay is already locked on...

#22 4 years ago

what do you mean exactly?

Quoted from ccotenj: - the armature is magnetized and "sticking"...

#23 4 years ago

you see the metal part that gets "pulled towards" the coil when the coil activates? occasionally those will become magnetized (from the repeated exposure to the magnetic field that the coil generates) and it "sticks" magnetically to the coil, thus never releasing...

#24 4 years ago

I replaced the spring... no difference. I checked the coil arm for magnetism and it was the same as the others... any ideas?

#25 4 years ago

ok...

did you check the switches on the 10's reel too?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

ok...
did you check the switches on the 10's reel too?

I have checked them, yes, but I am going to take a closer look as it seems that my culprit is lurking in the score zone...

I am going to rebuild the score reels and get back in a week or so (hopefully)

#27 4 years ago

Check the end of stroke switch on the 100s reel also. As the plunger pulls in there is a switch that will open and kill the circuit.

--jeff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
€ 279.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 29.95
$ 27.99
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside