Could this be my first machine?

By AbacusMan

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

ebay.com link: BIG BUCK HUNTER PRO PINBALL MACHINE

I talked with the lady who owns this machine and I was able to talk her down to $2,500 if no one gives her the price she wants. I think thats an awesome price for a game this new.

I talked with the guy who operates the machine. He sez the game "Runs like new." I need to specificly ask "Can you hear the Buck when he moves across the playfield?" He also said that he had put in new batteries, new rings, bolts, and nuts and other small stuff like that.

Other then that, the game will have to travel from San Diego, CA to Walla Walla, WA. The Shipping Lady told me that a longer trip could put the machine more at risk. "Its not offten something bad happens, but it has happend." So yeah, I should put some insurance on it.

And last, I have $7,500, and all of this will cost me close to $3,000, leaving me with $4,500.

So what I'm asking here is, Does anyone see any red lights? If I do get it, I will hook it up and play some games on it before I sign the shipping papers. Check out the inside of the machine, ect as well.

The guys at work say "Come on, quit being such a puss, just get it already" Thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

That is great price. Any wear on the playfield?

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Other then that, the game will have to travel from San Diego, CA to Walla Walla, WA. The Shipping Lady told me that a longer trip could put the machine more at risk. "Its not offten something bad happens, but it has happend." So yeah, I should put some insurance on it.

Insurance is a must. I had a $1700 claim on an $1800 machine. Things happen.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Does anyone see any red lights?

The pics aren't sufficient to see any lights!

If I was considering dropping $2500+ sight unseen on a machine hundreds of miles away - I would insist on dozens of high resolution pictures showing every part of the machine, including all boards. Any reputable seller will gladly comply. Given the fact that almost everybody knows somebody with a smart phone, it's not unreasonable to ask for a short video of the machine in action. Sure, it "looks nice" on the ebay pictures. I'm sure many people have stories about things that looked nice.

negatives? routed, unshopped machine on location. Not in and of itself a bad thing, but you will get a dirty machine that probably needs something minor fixed. (anything other than that would be a miracle). You can make it look shiny and new, but it will take some effort on your part. that's reflected in the price no doubt, which can be a good thing.

In my opinion the overwhelming majority of people in the hobby won't do what you are going to do - buy an expensive machine sight unseen from an unknown person on ebay. Maybe that just means we are wusses?

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

If I do get it, I will hook it up and play some games on it before I sign the shipping papers. Check out the inside of the machine, ect as well.

Good luck with that. I don't think they will be delivering the machine for your approval and inspection. They will be delivering it to drop it off and leave.

Absent any significant visible shipping damage, I can't see any scenario where someone like NAVL would allow you to load a machine back up into their truck after they have delivered it. They aren't there to mediate any disputes you may have with the seller/shipper.

In a worst case scenario, ebay/paypal would probably side with you on a dispute, but you would be forced to pay 100% of the shipping costs in both directions. So you would be out $500-$700.

Another reason to be cautious about long-distance deals.

#6 12 years ago

I would be wary. I have seen pins like this on location that are really worn. Also says game sold 'as is' which could cover a multitude of sins. Personally my tactic now is to buy local from someone who takes pride in looking after their pins - an enthusiast. This minimises my chances of buying a donkey!!

Does Buck make a noise going across playfield? Have a friend who had this and he was told it is normal???

#7 12 years ago

I remember calling the guy who owns the BBH machine in Spokane. I told him I was looking to buy one. He told me that if I wanted it, we could talk about a price. When I got to Spokane to play it, the buck was noisy as hell, the lights were blinking really hard all the time like it was having a seizure, and the buck was registering shots when no ball has even hit it, and the guy told me its working great.

I think my best bet is to look to Seattle,WA /Portland, OR and wait till one pops up there. I will say from taking a vacation in Seattle, it seams like people over there know how to take care of pinball machines. Every machine I played had no problems and ran smoothly. I can drive there and play it and inspect it before buying it.

Everyone here is very helpfull. I think a small donation could be in order.
I know I want a BBH, but I will just have to wait till the right deal comes along.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Insurance is a must. I had a $1700 claim on an $1800 machine. Things happen.

Quoted from examiner:

dozens of high resolution pictures showing every part of the machine, including all boards. Any reputable seller will gladly comply.

Good advice!

Quoted from AbacusMan:

I know I want a BBH, but I will just have to wait till the right deal comes along.

I definitely understand that. I would have a hard time buying a machine for a few thousand sight unseen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-this-be-my-first-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.