Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lard-Family-Ad1 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I caught this video on YouTube today, the creator has a interesting point of view.

What do you guys think? So often in pinball the theme is current or old as shit. Could an end of nostalgia influence future pinball releases.

#2 5 years ago

why would it end with the 90s?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

why would it end with the 90s?

Luckily there's a handy video to answer that question

#4 5 years ago

No.

</end thread>

#5 5 years ago

Nostalgia will never die, it will just change with the times.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Nostalgia will never die, it will just change with the times.

Unless time ends at a certain point there will always be a past.

nos·tal·gia - a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

#7 5 years ago

Responding to the actual video, it makes its case around everything being digitized and archived better now, which is true, but I'm not sure it applies as much to pinball, since pinball is necessarily a physical thing

#8 5 years ago

I doubt it. Nostalgia has to do with our mindset and emotions at the time, which is why revisiting certain things are so strong for some (and not at all for others).

I do think maybe SHARED nostalgia may be lessened quite a bit, because there’s not much we stand around the water cooler to discuss after it just happened (or a tv show was on, etc) because we have such fragmented lives, DVRs, on demand, etc

#9 5 years ago

Just watched that randomly yesterday.

#10 5 years ago

No - if anything, nostalgia is bigger than EVER, and people younger than ever are wallowing in it. It's both a good and a bad thing. It's a good thing because a lot of great stuff is getting rediscovered by more and more people. It's a bad thing cause it will mean more and more Odin threads. Also how the hell isn't this an Odin thread?!

Nostalgia ain't going anywhere. People are ALWAYS gonna pine for a "simpler time." Namely, when they had no real responsibility or obligation in their lives. Modern tech has added an even bigger layer to the nostalgia pool.

Go visit any dinosaur rock band video on youtube, you'll see tons of comments like "I'm 11 omg and i like real music like this not the lame ass stuff of today."

Easier access, endless clicking, links, youtube...it's creating an entire generation of people who are nostalgic for stuff from decades before they were born. In the past it was really just a few "Midnight in Paris" types who felt this kind of nostalgia, now it's pretty much everybody.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a bad thing cause it will mean more and more Odin threads. Also how the hell isn't this an Odin thread?!

You only said his name two times. Requires three times to summon him.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

You only said his name two times. Requires three times to summon him.

LOL

#13 5 years ago

Odin @odin @odin. I summon his powers.

#14 5 years ago

I actually just read an interesting article which discussed the reasons for why kids of today have this weird nostalgia for things they never even experienced to begin with.

Funny enough it culminated in "Africa by Toto" basically taking the songs meaning in a more philosophical sense. The song in a more abstract sense is about a warm nostalgia for a place you've never been before. The kid in the song dreams of Africa yet he's only known it through he images on TV.

#15 5 years ago

Growing up in the 80s, there was a ton of nostalgia then for the 50s (A Christmas Story, Back to the Future and Stand by Me jump to mind).

Now we're living in nostalgia for 80s and 90s.

There IS more leveraging of nostalgia, more than ever, but to say that it will end is not going to be the case. My kids are going to be nostalgic for Minecraft and Memes.

#16 5 years ago

Little early on that one, we haven't even got to the point of society where we all switch to collar-less shirts.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

odin @odin odin. I summon his powers.

Yes, my short nostalgic period for the 70s came and went during the early 90s. Over 20 years ago.

Long past time to move on and enjoy what's happening as it happens.

And not look back like I'd rather be there. Because I wouldn't.

#18 5 years ago

I have seen several people online being very nostalgic about the first few weeks of Pokemon Go, which was 2016.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, my short nostalgic period for the 70s came and went during the early 90s. Over 20 years ago.
    Long past time to move on and enjoy what's happening as it happens.
    And not look back like I'd rather be there. Because I wouldn't.

Don't you have a basement full of games from the 1950s?

Just kiddin', I get ya man! I'm a forward thinking hip middle-aged guy too!

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Aint no basements out Cali way

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Aint no basements out Cali way

EXPLAIN!

The earthquakes? the hippies? The evil government?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just kiddin', I get ya man! I'm a forward thinking hip middle-aged guy too!

Down to three 50s vintage games in the garage. Reliving James Dean's and Marlon Brando's youth was fun while it lasted. lol. I kept the best players though.

No nostalgia for me whatsoever. I wasn't even alive then or played any of them back in the day. Or remember any of the older games in my collection.

I believe not trying to live in my own past though has kept me and my spirit much younger than if I insisted on dwelling there.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EXPLAIN!

The earthquakes? the hippies? The evil government?

Earthquakes and a relatively high water table I believe. But they are building basements here and there now. Not the place I'd want to hide in a disaster though.

#23 5 years ago

As usual people who pretend to be deep thinkers, are not. He bases 98 percent of his discussion on media. There is much more to life than what is put in front of us on the screen.

#24 5 years ago

They said that in the 1700's, they said that in the 1800's, they said that in the 1900's, and they are saying it again.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

LTG : )

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Lard-Family-Ad1 (resized).jpgLard-Family-Ad1 (resized).jpg
    #26 5 years ago

I like the videos idea, that once the world switched to digital consumption in the early 2000’s there are less and less “collective experiences” shared by massive groups of people. Once the Information Age connected people to a million different subject in a flash, the world divided into as many different groups.

Everyone will still have for nostalgia for their past experiences, but the nostalgia may not be mainstream enough to issue a mass resurgence. Like we’re seeing today with 90’s culture.

Quoted from frolic:

My kids are going to be nostalgic for Minecraft and Memes.

Other then Minecraft and memes, will there be many other collective experiences these kids share, not just with their peers, but with all of society as well?

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Other then Minecraft and memes, will there be many other collective experiences these kids share, not just with their peers, but with all of society as well?

Marvel movies, Drake, America’s got talent, fortnite, dabbing, Game if Thrones... we’re living through this stuff now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-the-90s-be-the-end-of-nostalgia?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.