(Topic ID: 152519)

Could Search exclude quotes?

By DanQverymuch

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I think it would make Pinside's Search function better if it would exclude quoted material from being searched for. Getting repeated hits on the same material is not helpful in most cases, usually just annoying, and sometimes makes the entire search practically useless.

I suppose one might conceivably need to find a quote after someone edits the original post the quote was found in, or want a hit when the quote has one search term and the new text another, so you could make it optional. A checkbox for "include quoted material" or some such.

1 month later
    #2 8 years ago

No comment? Has this been discussed and rejected before?

I would search and see for myself, but too many duplicate results!

10 months later
    #3 7 years ago

I still wish that something would be done about this... not sure why it was completely ignored. Did I not explain it well?

1 week later
    #4 7 years ago

Huh, again with the crickets...

#5 7 years ago

Quoted material could help in cases where someone goes back and edits the original post. Maybe an option to collapse quoted material? Or a checkbox "ignore quoted material" when you do the search?

#6 7 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this topic. However, I did put this feature request on my to-do list.

The issue was fixed a few weeks ago. Search queries should no longer match quoted text in posts.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this topic. However, I did put this feature request on my to-do list.
    The issue was fixed a few weeks ago. Search queries should no longer match quoted text in posts.

All is forgiven, then! Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-search-exclude-quotes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.