(Topic ID: 200218)

Could Pirates go down as the greatest pin to date?

By thedarkknight77

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ft (resized).jpg
orbitor1_plexi (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.29.05 PM (resized).png
POTC AHHH.gif
IMG_4852 (resized).JPG

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

You can put lipstick on a pig, but I've never heard of polishing one.

#52 6 years ago

So, I finaly watched a fuller video, and I was left impressed.

For those who got to play, the concentric spinning disks seem to have all 3 spin the same, and outer and second spin opposite.
Was there any other combinations?

Knowing the issues on discs from Fireball, TMNT, to Xmen, of course a fast ball glides over it, but are these getting the ball drama
and movement out of the above options?

Couldnt tell if there where any magnets.

Love the rocking boat....didnt notice that till this morning.

Any other "unique toys/features"?

My apologies if this has been covered somewhere in the other 10 threads.

#53 6 years ago

What are they using for callouts and music? Sound quality in the videos I saw wasn't the best and hard to make out.

If they didn't get the theme music - I think that would be a big short coming.

#54 6 years ago

Maybe! Needs to come out first tho.

Quoted from Psw757:

What are they using for callouts and music? Sound quality in the videos I saw wasn't the best and hard to make out.
If they didn't get the theme music - I think that would be a big short coming.

Totally agree. Pretty sure I heard bits of the movie soundtrack in the stream.

#55 6 years ago

Ok, changed the title to, "greatest pin to date" as "all time" does not adequately represent what I was trying to state.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

For those who got to play, the concentric spinning disks seem to have all 3 spin the same, and outer and second spin opposite.
Knowing the issues on discs from Fireball, TMNT, to Xmen, of course a fast ball glides over it, but are these getting the ball drama

The disks can basically spin however they like, as far as I can tell, and they're extremely good at grabbing the ball and tossing it around. If you jump to about 43:00 in the Buffalo Pinball stream you can see some good disc action:

edit: I also like the exposed pops, a couple times in the stream they slap a ball right between the flippers

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Ok, changed the title to, "greatest pin to date" as "all time" does not adequately represent what I was trying to state.

Still no.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So, I finaly watched a fuller video, and I was left impressed.
Couldnt tell if there where any magnets.
Love the rocking boat....didnt notice that till this morning.
Any other "unique toys/features"?
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere in the other 10 threads.

The spinning discs turn on by hitting the map targets on the upper right area of the main playfield. There is a small hole by the P spelling map that turns them off. Combination just depends on what it lit. It definitely gave the ball english.
Reveal said there are 2 magnets. I don’t remember where they are.
Area to right of chest,left of map targets traps ball with up post - believe it starts a mode. Maybe a magnet there ( not sure)
I have to admit I saw the picture that released a few hours before the reveal and I immediately dismissed it.
Rocking boat mini playfield is sweet, Upper left hit ball into a cannon that shoots ball at ship in upper left corner of playfield. Have to make the shoot in the ship to start multiball.
3 locking ball chest
Left ramp has diverted that goes into funnel
3 spinning discs in lower middle
Subway under playfield.
Opening underneath upper left flipper - believe used as a super jackpot shot during one of the multiballs
Can skill shoot under mini playfield and ball will kick up into the mini
4 Gold targets - hit those and mash button to collect gold. 50 Gold starts tartuga MB
Extra ball shoot between 2 Lower pops - switch on rubber. I was told must hit switch without hitting bumpers to get extra ball.
All I can remember right now

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The spinning discs turn on by hitting the map targets on the upper right area of the main playfield. There is a small hole by the P spelling map that turns them off. Combination just depends on what it lit. It definitely gave the ball english.
Reveal said there are 2 magnets. I don’t remember where they are.
I have to admit I saw the picture that released a few hours before the reveal and I immediately dismissed it.
Rocking boat mini playfield is sweet, Upper left hit ball into a cannon that shoots ball at ship in upper left corner of playfield. Have to make the shoot in the ship to start multiball.
3 locking ball chest
Left ramp has diverted that goes into funnel
3 spinning discs in lower middle
Subway under playfield.
Opening underneath upper left flipper - believe used as a super jackpot shot during one of the multiballs
Can skill shoot under mini playfield and ball will kick up into the mini
4 Gold targets - hit those and mash button to collect gold. 50 Gold starts tartuga MB
Extra ball shoot between 2 Lower pops - switch on rubber. I was told must hit switch without hitting bumpers to get extra ball.
All I can remember right now

magnets are under the upper playfield.

fyi, if anyone is wondering. I do have Woz, Hobbit, DI and PotC full-color playfield cad drawings framed and ready to go. they are 11" x 17"

$49.95 plus shipping

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.29.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.29.05 PM (resized).png

#60 6 years ago

I see there are two different toppers - any idea what the LE version looks like?

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I see there are two different toppers - any idea what the LE version looks like?

Guess- Similar to WOZ ECLE - meaning lasercut topper

#62 6 years ago

It's definitely going to be the most feature rich, deepest game in the history of pinball. I can't imagine how complex and fragile it's going to be - could end up being the most expensive machine to ever maintain.

#63 6 years ago

Since Eric comes from a background that involves maintenance on a route he specifically made it easy to get at parts for repair. One screw (and maybe one pin) from the entire upper rocking playfield to come out.

#64 6 years ago

I say they should have done everything in their power to keep the LE cost at $9000.....Toss the topper overboard!

#65 6 years ago

I say they should have done everything in their power to keep the LE cost at $9000.....Toss the topper overboard!

If they would have made the starting game 7500 dollars, they would have sold many many more of these games. I would have been a buyer at 7500 on this game here but I’m not going any higher than that no way.

#66 6 years ago

I know the title of thread is a lot to take in, but damn I have never been this excited about a game. That reveal was awesome!! JJP killed it!! That game played like a widebody on speed!! Congrats to the entire JJP team!! Cannot wait to meet Eric and shake his hand!

We need a few years of play and perspective before we can even begin to judge it.

#67 6 years ago

How his game could be the best ever made without its orignal music?

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I guess I had better give Hobbit another chance. (this guy is always wrong)

Hobbit is an amazing pin for a home environment, Im thinking pirates will be too, but time will tell!

Since realistically it will be later next year before you can actually get a pirates, buy a hobbit and enjoy it until pirates is built.

#69 6 years ago

it's going to be tough to beat TZ. TZ is almost a perfect pinball machine.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

without its orignal music?

How about David Thiel putting in better music ?

Looks great. We'll see in time and once they are out in homes and on location, exactly how great.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's going to be tough to beat TZ. TZ is almost a perfect pinball machine.

Well the JJPPOTC can skip the part about being a commercial flop and sold cheap and found in great shape for many years.

LTG : )

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks great. We'll see in time and once they are out in homes and on location, exactly how great.

Well the JJPPOTC can skip the part about being a commercial flop and sold cheap and found in great shape for many years.
LTG : )

yes, TZ was not appreciated back in it's initial release. Grew to become awesome and appreciated by the home collector. CV ran the same history.

#72 6 years ago

No, because the best pinball machine ever has already been made, and it is this...

orbitor1_plexi (resized).jpgorbitor1_plexi (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

No, because the best pinball machine ever has already been made, and it is this...

Negative, the best ever is right here...

ft (resized).jpgft (resized).jpg

#74 6 years ago

I love the look of this new pin, but the pricing nowadays has taken me out of NIB purchase. Pretty soon we will have new mid car sedan prices for a pinball machine. This is crazy pricing.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, TZ was not appreciated back in it's initial release. Grew to become awesome and appreciated by the home collector. CV ran the same history.

Really? I've not heard anyone putting CV and TZ in the same room. TZ is awesome. CV is *okay*, but tries too hard and is way too easy. I lost interest after completing Join the Circus the first week I had it.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks great. We'll see in time and once they are out in homes and on location, exactly how )

Because some movies, especially saga, you can’t dissociate them from their music like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, LOTR, potc,

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If they would have made the starting game 7500 dollars, they would have sold many many more of these games. I would have been a buyer at 7500 on this game here but I’m not going any higher than that no way.

I completely agree. I do wonder if it's by design though. Manufacturing pinball is difficult, with lots of overhead, so by increasing pricing and limiting production, they are essentially limiting business complexity. I am not sure what the ROI model is for JJP, but I have a feeling they only need to sell a few thousand games for their titles to be a success.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really? I've not heard anyone putting CV and TZ in the same room. TZ is awesome. CV is *okay*, but tries too hard and is way too easy. I lost interest after completing Join the Circus the first week I had it.

CV has a love hate with people. But it had a similar life back during it's initial release. Did horrible on route. Discounted hardcore and no love until the early 2000's. TZ was getting love a little sooner. CV needed the home code update to really get some love.

btw, you know that joining the circus the second time around is different than the first? yes it's easier of a game like MB, and SS. That's why the cirqus has different variations during the same game.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

CV has a love hate with people. But it had a similar life back during it's initial release. Did horrible on route. Discounted hardcore and no love until the early 2000's. TZ was getting love a little sooner. CV needed the home code update to really get some love.
btw, you know that joining the circus the second time around is different than the first? yes it's easier of a game like MB, and SS. That's why the cirqus has different variations during the same game.

Never did JtC twice. Once was enough, zero desire to own it again. Still can't believe they cut MM production short to rush CV out.

#81 6 years ago

they did make a shitload of MM's tho. Around that 5 year span, very few games had production numbers that high anymore. if you hit the 4k mark, it was a gift.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-pirates-go-down-as-the-greatest-pin-of-all-time/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.