(Topic ID: 200218)

Could Pirates go down as the greatest pin to date?

By thedarkknight77

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ft (resized).jpg
orbitor1_plexi (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.29.05 PM (resized).png
POTC AHHH.gif
IMG_4852 (resized).JPG

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I know the title of thread is a lot to take in, but damn I have never been this excited about a game. That reveal was awesome!! JJP killed it!! That game played like a widebody on speed!! Congrats to the entire JJP team!! Cannot wait to meet Eric and shake his hand!

#2 6 years ago

No....

#3 6 years ago

I think it could go down as the greatest game of next year.

#4 6 years ago

Maybe. Time will tell.

#5 6 years ago

What is this JJP POTC you are talking about? Can someone start a thread about it?

#6 6 years ago

It can hold the record for most threads started....

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

What is this JJP POTC you are talking about? Can someone start a thread about it?

Come on Taxman!! Join the hype train!! This time, the game actually lives up to the hype! GOAT!!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Come on Taxman!! Join the hype train!! This time, the game actually lives up to the hype! GOAT!!

Don't get me wrong. See my post in number 3 of 17. I think this is a home run.

Heck, I love my Stern POTC so theme is not a problem. I just hate trying to keep up with so many threads.

#9 6 years ago

Way too early to say "Best Ever". MM is still the king. Will take time for thousands of people to play this game over several years to see if it is truly worthy of being the new number one.

That's going to be a tough claim for any new game. Think of how old MM is and how many hundreds or thousands of plays people have put in on it and it is still considered the top game. The JJPOTC is obviously nice...but I think it will never capture the timeless charm of an original and TIMELESS theme such as MM. While POTC is popular I don't think it is timeless. As much as gameplay is important theme matters just as much.....for example.....someone could make a My Little Ponies pin and it may be the best playing game ever but because of theme it would be a turn off. That's the problem with most licensed themes is they are not always relevant. Sopranos is an excellent example. It was a great show back in the day but hardly a talking point anymore. TWD will probably not suffer the same fate because zombie themes are popular and probably will always be popular.

MM is a timeless theme with original characters so it can be appealing even 40 years from now. Would like to to see how relevant Jack Sparrow is 40 years from now....

#10 6 years ago

Could Pirates go down as the greatest pin of all time?

Seriously?!

#11 6 years ago

Most expensive pin ever maybe

#12 6 years ago

Better than Hobbit, certainly.

#13 6 years ago

I Agree it looks great. And looks fun to play. Innovative, with lots of toys and features. But greatest game of all time? Nope.
But I bet it ends up high in the top 10.

The thing that's going to stop it from the #1 spot is the theme. If it was an original pirate theme it would probably crush everything. But being based on movies that aren't the greatest or that memorable is going to hurt it's rating.

BM66 is the greatest pop culture non original theme of all time in my mind. As Adam Wests portrayal of batman and it's celebrity villians are classics.

But Stern failed on making it a great pinball machine.
Code can't fix bad design.
Most expensive, yes.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Most expensive pin ever maybe

Batman66 in all it's epicness already topped it.

#15 6 years ago

nope, there will never be "the greatest pin ever" because we all have a different opinion as to what game rules supreme, for me its certainly isn't MM and never has been, how can POTC even been an option when so few people have played it? Another foolish thread started about this game, but I'm having fun so keep it up.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Batman66 in all it's epicness already topped it.

That is true! I forgot about that turd there!

J/k, i actually don't think it's that bad of a game. Stern made people hate it by releasing a pin with no code and jacking up the price and then being greedy bastard with the SLE.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern made people hate it by releasing a pin with no code and jacking up the price and then being greedy bastard....

That pretty much applies to all recent Stern pins.

#18 6 years ago

Maybe if it can break free from the stench of the last movie in the series.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern made people hate it by releasing a pin with no code and jacking up the price and then being greedy bastard with the SLE.

Stern didn't force anyone to buy it so lets put the blame where it belongs, oh yeah. If I was such a big fan of BM66 that I bought the SLE then I wouldn't regret it and would patiently be waiting for code, it will happen eventually, I mean everyone knew the risks, ST took over a year to complete as did TWD, Met didn't happen quickly either, there is the option to wait on new Stern until final code drops, maybe if people starting waiting and they couldn't sell any games code would be more complete upon initial release.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Better than Hobbit, certainly.

I guess I had better give Hobbit another chance. (this guy is always wrong)

#21 6 years ago

Man, premature assumption, eh?

Once the dust settles and the smoke clears, and more people play it after removing their "hype goggles," we'll all start to get a better picture of how well the game plays. Remember the outrageous amount of hype over GB, and how people said it was a home run, and that it would challenge Addams Family? Look at the game now. I'm not saying this will be like that, but hype trains travel fast. It's easy to get carried away.

#22 6 years ago

omg get the F out of here with this thread.

#23 6 years ago

All I know is.......Attack from Mars is currently #1 in the pinside ranking. I love Attack from Mars, but if you put these games side by side, there is no way I choose Attack from Mars to play over JJP Pirates.

#24 6 years ago

Yes!!!!!

#25 6 years ago

Way under 48 hrs after reveal and a new record for a "best pin ever" thread!

#26 6 years ago

JJP#5 will be #1 on pinside next month.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Way under 48 hrs after reveal and a new record for a "best pin ever" thread!

Ghostbusters got one of these last year.

People just can't contain themselves when they get excited to buy a pinball machine!

Could ghostbusters be the best pin ever?!?!? (No. No it could not)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever

#28 6 years ago

Could Batman66 go down as the greatest game of all time?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Could Batman66 go down as the greatest game of all time?

No. No it could not.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

No. No it could not.

That's not fair! You need to give it some time. Once they drop that code they are furiously working on it could be epic! If anybody still cares.

#31 6 years ago

Wwaaaayyy premature!

#32 6 years ago

There's no such thing as the greatest of all time in a field of competition that spans many decades of technological evolution. Everyone has their own personal tastes and preferences which usually also evolve with time. Sounds like you found you favorite though (so far)!

#33 6 years ago

Maybe play it first?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

There's no such thing as the greatest of all time in a field of competition that spans many decades of technological evolution.

Exactly, and if you go by overall sales, which is always a good indicator, then it would be really hard to top Bally's 1932 Ballyhoo which sold 50,000 units in the middle of the great depression. Let's see anybody do that in today's thriving economy.

Quoted from twenty84:

At the current rate in a few more hours it could go down as having the most threads of all time:

It helps that there wasn't much else to get excited about at expo yesterday.

#36 6 years ago

TZ is the greatest of all time for me and some will say Adams Family is the greatest, although the Adams Family never did appeal to me.

#37 6 years ago

Seriously...already?..... dumbest thread ever.

¡ mic drop

#38 6 years ago

just yesterday it was tna,
so i think
1. jjpotc
2. tna
3. sw le/premium

number one being replaced when gotg turd gets released.

#39 6 years ago

Nope. Haven't read this short thread, but nope. Give it 20 years...then decide.

#40 6 years ago

Sure why not

#41 6 years ago

Only time will tell but there is massive potential there for sure.

#42 6 years ago

Nope, the best pin of all time is Scared Stiff FACT stamp it no changes.

#43 6 years ago

I know the title of thread is a lot to take in,

Since there is at least another 5 billion years before the Sun does its Super Nova phase, then to state for all time, would be an improbability.

#44 6 years ago

POTC Best JJP Game of All time!

Does that sound more like it?

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

POTC Best JJP Game of All time!

Does that sound more like it?

Definitely a better consideration at this early point.

#46 6 years ago

JJP is gaining momentum and Eric will design many pins in the future. So while yes it's exciting, there's absolutely no reason to think this is the pinnacle of pins.

#47 6 years ago

!! Cannot wait to meet Eric and shake his hand!

IMG_4852 (resized).JPGIMG_4852 (resized).JPG

#48 6 years ago

Darn clickbait! I thought the thread title was sarcasm so I dove in to check it out - what does that say about me?

#49 6 years ago

POTC AHHH.gifPOTC AHHH.gif

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's not fair! You need to give it some time. Once they drop that code they are furiously working on it could be epic! If anybody still cares.

Sorry, neither BDK or Batman 66 will be close to the greatest of all time. The design doesn't support it regardless of code that MAY come out. I hope it gets better for its owners, but can't polish a pig. Polish a pig?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-pirates-go-down-as-the-greatest-pin-of-all-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.