(Topic ID: 7414)

Could pinball prices be an indicator that the economy is improving?

By Dewey68

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crashdance22
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've only been "collecting" pinball machine for 3 months, but in those months pin prices seem to have really taken a jump.

Do you think this is a sign that the economy is improving? It seems like Americans have more disposable income lately, at least when it comes to pins.

#2 7 years ago

No ! Pinball has been on the rise for a while now and is one of the only big ticket toys that have increased in value during this down turn .

#3 7 years ago

In my opinion the price jump is due to the fact that 1 year ago you could expect to buy a NIB pinball for around $4k. Now it's nearly $5k for the base model, over $6k for the LE. Actual value increases with perceived value.

#4 7 years ago

I feel that a few factors are clearly driving up the prices. One is that there are only a very few machines being made at any given timeframe now so that means that even less real quality games (or universally appealing themes) are being produced such as Spiderman and LOTR (just examples). Thus one has to often look to the older games to find a quality game that is obtainable thus driving up the demand and prices.
    Also, the mancave concept has been taking off. Probably a big reason for that is the economy is leading people to save their bar money and stay home to have their drinks and hang out with their buds.
    Finally, the video game console market has only recently (last 2-3 years) made quality virtual pinball games that have given those gamers a taste of to make them want more, and there will be many more Farsight Studio virtual pinball machines available next year.

#5 7 years ago

Prices have been jumping for a few years now on A list games. The trend looks like it will continue. "A" titles, even though some people don't want to admit it, are investments. I'm not saying it's better than a Roth IRA, but it's more like a CD you can literally play with. At the very least when your sick of your game you can cash out (usually)at least what you put into it and get something else. It's a great hobby in that regard. When I say "A" titles I'm referring to the top B/W pins of the 90's, but I know there are some Stern pins also on that list.

#6 7 years ago

Just don't count on getting everything back financially when you "cash out". Hopefully they will hold their value, but I am buying mine to enjoy them and whatever happens as far as the holding value is just gravy.

#7 7 years ago

Like I said they aren't blocks of gold, but when your done with them (if taken care of) you should be able to get your money back out of them. I personally didn't buy any of my pins to try and sell them for a profit in the future, but it wouldn't surprise me if I could.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I personally didn't buy any of my pins to try and sell them for a profit in the future, but it wouldn't surprise me if I could.

I'm sure most people are trying to do that now.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

I've only been "collecting" pinball machine for 3 months

BTW Dewey, Welcome to the hobby.

#10 7 years ago

No!

There is a finite supply of A titles available. Most collectors like to have some of these titles as historically they are the best games. There is also the realization that they are not depreciating like most other toys, in fact that have been appreciating.

More people hold onto their A titles and thus supply dwindles, prices increase.

Not sure about the future - it really depends how good the next batch of JJP/Stern titles are. If they become top 10 titles then older A titles may drop in value. Stern have only really made 3 top 20 games in a decade, LOTR, SM, TSPP ( Tron the jury is still out ).

Will be interesting to see how WOZ turns out and what the second pin is going to be....

#11 7 years ago

supply and demand

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from pdman:

supply and demand

+10

Pins do seem to be a bit scarce my way as well. I think the older Williams/Bally games and others from that generation are getting harder and harder to find, so people are holding onto them more. I know personally I don't want to sell mine, I might trade, but if I sold it's to hard to find another pin quickly to replace it, unless I want to get raped by a retailer haha

#13 7 years ago

Another factor: Commodity costs (pin materials) have soared due to inflation (due to fiat currency manipulation) which has driven up NIB prices. As NIB prices increase, the demand for older pins will increase (combined with a finite supply, which further diminishes as current owners of older pins hang on to them) which increases prices for older pins. As far as the overall economy is concerned, the financial "crisis" of 2008 has not been resolved, just deferred.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

As far as the overall economy is concerned, the financial "crisis" of 2008 has not been resolved, just deferred.

+1

#16 7 years ago

Pinball prices have actually risen during the recession for "A" titles.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, the mancave concept has been taking off. Probably a big reason for that is the economy is leading people to save their bar money and stay home to have their drinks and hang out with their buds.

+1, this is like mini-arcades opening up around the country. Garages, basements, and game rooms have caused a bump in demand. The arcades of the 80's are nostalgia for people with disposable incomes that don't see them anymore.

If JJP and Stern are able to introduce new technology that makes the pins we have now look dated, then I can see the "A" pins going down in value. There will be a decrease in demand for them.

It happened with EM's when SS's came out. It happened with SS's when DMD's came out. I can see it happening to DMD's when LCD's come out.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

f JJP and Stern are able to introduce new technology that makes the pins we have now look dated, then I can see the "A" pins going down in value. There will be a decrease in demand for them.

It happened with EM's when SS's came out. It happened with SS's when DMD's came out. I can see it happening to DMD's when LCD's come out.

Agree........but, only if the games are awesome!

#18 7 years ago

Please be awesome!!

I want some SS machines like Elvira, Cyclone, Whirlwind to become like the EMs are today and fall even further in price.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

I want some SS machines like Elvira, Cyclone, Whirlwind to become like the EMs are today and fall even further in price.

dont we all dont we all!

#20 7 years ago

always hard to pin down trends with new ppl just getting in and older folks getting out

#21 7 years ago

This gets me thinking... if I were ever interested in getting my own game(s) at some point in the future, perhaps this concept will make DMD games more affordable as older Bally/Williams machines continue to remain in finite numbers. The DMD is as old as I am, so it makes sense to say these are my favorite type of games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 26.95
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside