(Topic ID: 33261)

Could pinball machines be covered by insurance?

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinbob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sandbags.jpg
    FireExtinguisher.jpg
    LesBaer.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Seems like a stupid question, but could a small or large collection on machines be covered under a homeowner's insurance? I would hate to lose my collection over a fire, floor collapse, water damage or even theft. (I'm sure that there would be easier things to steal from a house, but you never know.) And if they could be insured, how would you have a realistic value put on each machine? Has anyone considered this before? Any thoughts on this would be interesting to hear.

#2 11 years ago

I did a few months ago. I called the carrier of my home owners insurance (State Farm) and was told that my pins are covered. I was told just to make sure to have documentation/pics.
    It wouldnt hurt to call your carrier and see what your policy covers.

#3 11 years ago

I would think you have to be specific with them, give them the title of the machine, maybe a photo, and value of replacement. It may cost you a little more (couple of bucks a month) but well worth it.

#4 11 years ago

Yea mine are covered also. Told them I have $200k worth to cover.

#5 11 years ago

Check with your insurance agent. Find out anything you need to do as far as itemize, paper work or photos, if you have to add them, etc. etc.

LTG : )

#6 11 years ago

It will probably be covered by the "Contents" portion of your insurance, but you might want to bump that up a bit if you have a large collection. Also, provide your agent with a list and estimated values of your games. Update it from time to time. I just modify my master spreadsheet and send them that.

#7 11 years ago

Insurance companies are your friend, until something goes wrong. Per a loveletter from pinside, I am not allowed to Capitalize the letters C, O and N in the word "companies" as that can be construed as a personal attack on someone.

#8 11 years ago

COmpaNies. is only a personal attack if you name a company =-)

Home owners insurance. If I get anymore I might have to figure out something different.

#9 11 years ago

I'm going to ask my provider about this soon. With AC/DC, I'll have over $20k in pins, and feel like I had better see about extra coverage for all of that.

#10 11 years ago

Insurance.

LesBaer.jpgLesBaer.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Hope that thing can put out fires and stop floods, PCE......

#12 11 years ago

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................

FireExtinguisher.jpgFireExtinguisher.jpg sandbags.jpgsandbags.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Well, looks like you have all the bases covered, then.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Well, looks like you have all the bases covered, then.

Nope, just have images. I'm doomed

#15 11 years ago

We added my collection to our home owners insurance plan last year. You might have to pay more to up your total coverage though. They did need me to validate the actual costs for each game.

#16 11 years ago

I recently sat down with my State Farm insurance agent and discussed coverage for my pins. Its a good thing too as I quickly realized that I was waaay under on my personal property contents- I strongly suggest everyone take a good look around your house and start adding things up and then go review your policy. This should really be performed on a regular basis as we tend to accumulate "stuff". As far as the pins...I took pics of all the machines to verify condition and also the serial numbers. Im keeping that info secure and off-site. I was told that State Farm requires an appraisal for pins valued at more than 5K, however, its not required for new pins with full paperwork and receipts. Word to the wise...always write up a receipt when you purchase a used pin and have the seller sign it.

#17 11 years ago

Ok everyone, thanks for all the info. I will have to make a call on Monday to discuss coverage for my collection. I will also take pictures and keep a copy of serial numbers. I have any and all paperwork for my transactions. I might pick up a good price guide to help put a value on things. I would rather pay more a month then to lose everything.

#18 11 years ago

I would ask specific questions regarding FLOOD coverage. MANY gamerooms are located in basements. Conventional policies will NOT cover Flooding.

NOTE that it is considered to be a flood if TWO adjacent properties are claiming to have had a flood event....so it does not have to be a widespread event - a normal rainstorm could in certain cases result in a "flood" by this definition - which would disqualify the coverage by a regular policy.

I think this is a critical consideration if your gameroom is in a basement - or even at ground level.

#19 11 years ago

Pins need to be scheduled as collectibles on your policy. Im an Agent and my GF is a homeowners claims adjuster. When it comes down to paying you for a loss, having it scheduled will eliminate any price issues or doubt. It does not cost much to do. They can not be used for business use. If this is the case they have to covered on a business policy.

#20 11 years ago

Flood is a 2 acre area being submerged by 2 ft of total water. Rain water build up is not covers its aka ground water and excluded from 99.9% of home policies.

#21 11 years ago

If any pinsiders need insurance advice pm me your number. My job as an agent is to help people live safer more secure lives. I will be more then happy to educate you.

#22 11 years ago

Thanks for clarification 6S3.

I remember in 2009 when I lived in Atlanta we had a "500 Year Flood" - September 25 2009 it rained 26 inches in 24 hours. People who lived NOWHERE NEAR a flood zone (Yes - even at the top of hills) had major problems with insurance coverage because in many cases the event was deemed to be a "Flood" (by the insurers) even though the source was rainfall - not an overflowing of a river or lake etc. I NEVER saw rain like it did that week in my life. Bridges were washed out roads were washed out and things were disrupted for weeks.

It even resulted in an "Eggo Shortage" - the Eggo Waffle factory in Atlanta was flooded and out of service for months.

It's just a point people with collectible pins sshould be wary of with coverage.

#23 11 years ago

Catastrophes like that r delt with on an individual catastrophe basis. Like sand. In NJ I think they waived the hurricane deductable. This is a separate deductible from the policy. Sandy was a tropical storm inNY so the deductible was your regular policy deductible.

#24 11 years ago

AAA treats them like antiques, despite there are some brand new ones. I was told I have to get a collector to come out (on my dime) to grade and value each one. I write down all the info when I get them and of course take lots of photos (which I keep copies of elsewhere in case of fire/theft).

Sounds like State Farm is a little friendlier about it. Have to look into that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-pinball-machines-be-covered-by-insurance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.