(Topic ID: 95393)

Could Oculus Rift be modified to play Pinball Arcade?

By Jared

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-557.jpg
    image-47.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Eventually could Farsight make a version of pinball arcade that would be supported by oculus rift? You stand at a real life pinball table... You feel it in your hands... Only the table is turned off and the buttons relay Bluetooth sensors...

But your ears and eyes see the pinball in HD 3D as if it were in front of you... As you move your head the machine reacts as it would in real life.

I think all the tech is there.. Just need someone to tie it together.

image-47.jpgimage-47.jpg

#2 9 years ago

The Oculus is amazing and would be really neat coupled with Pinball Arcade. The sense of being there is much greater than any other tech. Even just watching a 360-degree video of a place really makes it feel like being there, so a virtual arcade and pinball experience could be amazing.

I have a couple of issues with the Oculus and similar technology like Sony's Morpheus headset for PS4 that will prevent me from buying one, at least now.

-Motion sickness. Supposedly this will be alleviated by higher refresh rates in the newer version of the Oculus, but I felt slightly nauseous for several hours after my most recent session.

-Resolution. The new version of the Oculus is 1080p (as is the Morpheus), but since the user is looking into the image rather than taking in the entire screen, 4K is probably the required sweet spot.

-Graphics fidelity. Essentially powering two separate displays (albeit on one screen) takes a lot of juice. This isn't a huge problem with PCs, but the Morpheus will not produce anywhere near PS4-level graphics.

#3 9 years ago

That would be great news as the stock is under $3

#5 9 years ago

I would say there's a good possibility of someone making the PC version of the Pinball Arcade work with the Rift even if TPA doesn't offer native support. I recall there being a third party app that helps make non Oculus games work with the device. Native support would be amazing though especially with DK2 and the consumer version offering positional tracking which would allow for players to lean into a virtual table either head on or from angle just like in real life.

I did hear that motion sickness is gone in DK2 thanks to the low persistence OLED 1080p display being used.

I've had a developer kit 2 on preorder since the first couple hours of preorders back in March so hopefully I'll be able to try it out soon. Super pumped for the Rift in general. Coolest piece of tech in years in my opinion. I was able to try out DK2 at PAX East this year and was blown away by how cool it is to use.

http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

#6 9 years ago

image-557.jpgimage-557.jpg

#7 9 years ago

The bottom goal is very lofty.

#8 9 years ago

Actually, the augmented reality of castAR would be better suited for virtual pinball.

Check out their website here:
    http://technicalillusions.com

#9 9 years ago

Would the oculus work with future pinball + BAM? Seems like it should be the easiest fix, although it's probably the worst simulator.

Visual pinball would be easy to connect to oculus, although I don't know how great the affect would be.

.... It's coming in time, I don't see how the thecnology won't take us to virtual pin on an oculus, it would just be too cool

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-oculus-rift-be-modified-to-play-pinball-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.