(Topic ID: 104928)

Could MMR be "one and done" for Chicago Gaming?

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rocket_.jpg
wonderland.jpg
spaceship.jpg
platform.jpg
Buford.jpg
bubble.gif
IMAG5215.jpg
repro.jpeg
Keep up.jpg
sensitive.jpg
fired.jpg
dick.jpg
Popcorn.gif
gsm.jpg
pog.jpeg
2014-10-03-20-30-28--1598937576.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#100 9 years ago

I think it's the strangest thing ever that some people actually buy something for entertainment and worry about its resale value. It would be like me worrying what the value of the two quads and trailer I bought..., I couldn't give a shit what they are worth now or when I'm done with them, I bought them to enjoy. Or when I road bikes all the time, picking out a frame based on what I think it's value would be next week, instead of the hand built one I want, riding the piss out of it and never looking back. I'm not even that well off, I make a modest wage compared to probably most on here....

I am deffinatly in the an investment is separate from my toys camp, though I have known people that see everything they buy as an investment. These people usually jump from one thing to the next, usually what's hot at the time. Weird....

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

So, to follow that logic out. You ride the piss out of your quads then sell them how? Based on the going rate? Give them away since you used your allotment of fun out of them? I mean, how do you value something that has no value since it has had the piss ridden out of it?
See, by that logic, every game should have been depreciated to "free" by now. Everyone has used up the worth of said game against its original price tag.
Why is it that em's are dirt cheap and dmd's are more money? Simple answer. They are more desirable, ergo, collectible. Collectible: (noun) an item valued and sought by a collector.

No I rode the piss out of the bikes I had (pedal bikes, Quamen FTW). The quads are by no means abused, however what they are worth if/when I decide to sell, is whatever the market dictates considering their age and condition. It's not something I dwell on. I assume they will have some value, however small it my be.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Ok, so like I said, then by that logic, all pinball should be free by now.

I have absolutely no idea how you are coming to that conclusion from my statement......

On the plus side for you, you have two people apparently who do follow what your saying.

#138 9 years ago

Skins, anything can be collectible. It doesn't mean that everyone who buys/owns these "things" consider them to be collectible. You'd be surprised to find some of the things people collect....even blenders lol

#140 9 years ago

In defense of Teekee, I doubt he buys every game based solely on what its future value would be, but he is obviously very concerned with what it will be worth in the future.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

There doesn't need to be an either or. My point is, if you're clever you can do both. I have had a very rewarding pinball hobby and I've also made money at it. Making money can be a hobby also and when you combine two passions you've got a total winner for yourself.
Here's my example: When MMR reaches the $5000 mark in a year or two, I'll most likely buy. It will be HUO, I'll play the crap out of it and then sell it for $5000. Or I'll keep it and have saved $3000.00. And if prices never go that low then I won't buy it . There are other deals to be had.
This mentality of compulsive buying and keeping up with the Jones' is why the rich get richer and the poor stay poor.
I take it back, I'll wait until MMR hits $3000.00

I can understand that Mr68, this is not how I look at the things I buy for entertainment though. Making money off of my hobbies is not something I have ever taken part in. My focus has always been very deeply on the hobby itself, not even a thought to what I might have is worth. I find things I value often times are worth more to me than any monetary value they may hold.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know, if they beefed up MM's rules. and make it at least 5x's more complex and deep. I would probably actually consider maybe thinking about getting one someday.

For the cost of MM I agree..

#167 9 years ago

Lol

#181 9 years ago

Teekee, the hobby exploded like it did because the arcade generation is now in the financial position to buy these things, not because people looked at it as a viable investment vehicle. Though some of those people that did end up buying a couple pins realized that they could make a couple bucks off of them in some cases, and this remained a strong focal point for them.

Of coarse there are those select few that said "hey Dick Jones down the road bought a pin for $2000 and sold it for $5000, maybe I should do the same." Though I don't think those people make up the majority of the hobbyist. It exploded because the arcade generation is now in a financial position to buy the pins they desire.

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, a big part of this hobby growing like it has is because those of us who grew up playing and loving pinball were in a financial position to buy these machines. I don't think many people would deny that.
But I think the further point is that many of us would not own as many pins as we do, nor would we have been willing to have as much money as some of us do in our collection, if it wasn't for the fact that we felt that we could get the majority of our money back when we decided to sell them.
If people knew that the pin that they were going to pay $8k for was going to lose 1/3 of it's value in an 7-8 month period, don't you think the demand would decrease greatly?
The growth of this hobby has definitely been based in part in the belief by many that they would get the majority of their money back when it came time to sell.

Not to me it hasn't. I'm not concerned at all with what my pins might be worth now or in ten years from now. This is what divided the two camps here. Not everyone is concerned with the value of their collection. It doesn't effect my decision to buy one bit....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-mmr-be-one-and-done-for-chicago-gaming?tu=pinstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.