(Topic ID: 104928)

Could MMR be "one and done" for Chicago Gaming?

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rocket_.jpg
wonderland.jpg
spaceship.jpg
platform.jpg
Buford.jpg
bubble.gif
IMAG5215.jpg
repro.jpeg
Keep up.jpg
sensitive.jpg
fired.jpg
dick.jpg
Popcorn.gif
gsm.jpg
pog.jpeg
2014-10-03-20-30-28--1598937576.jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 9 years ago

i don't care about re-sale prices (as i can't predict them) - i'm just saying that we are not going to be flooding a market beyond what people are buying - which generally reduces the opportunity for prices to drop drastically (i.e. the original comment about clearance which only happens when you make more than there is demand).

#302 9 years ago

Rick -

You have skipped over my questions twice to answer others - Is it fair to assume you aren't interested in answering the questions posed above and ending the speculation in this thread? Since no one else here seems to know/understand the relationship, you seem to be the only reliable source.

If so, fine, and we can close the thread. If you don't want to answer because I am the one asking, I can understand that too. But either way, I'd like to know if it is worth keeping this thread open or if you have a reason for not providing clarification to those of us interested.

#303 9 years ago

Don't close the thread yet. We haven't resolved the blender issue.

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Rick -
You have skipped over my questions twice to answer others - Is it fair to assume you aren't interested in answering the questions posed above and ending the speculation in this thread? Since no one else here seems to know/understand the relationship, you seem to be the only reliable source.
If so, fine, and we can close the thread. If you don't want to answer because I am the one asking, I can understand that too. But either way, I'd like to know if it is worth keeping this thread open or if you have a reason for not providing clarification to those of us interested.

I would guess it is not in PPS's best interest to answer this. The first remake is not even produced yet so I doubt they want to lock themselves into working with anyone or reject the possiblity of working with Chicago Gaming in the future. Until the game is finished I'm sure neither side knows what will make the most sense going forward. Imagine if Rick said we will not be working with Chicago Gaming going forard? Mass panic and people freaking out would happen. MMr is going to be crap, the world is ending, etc.

I don't blame Rick for not answering anything asked. No matter what gets said it ends up twisted and used against him in some way or another. I'm interested in the answer to your question as well jfh not for any other reason other than just curiosity.

#305 9 years ago

#306 9 years ago

Please forgive me as I have a lot of ignored users in this thread so I don't have the whole picture. I'm just curious what the rumor/speculation is on why PPS might consider doing PPS #2 without CGC?

#307 9 years ago

PPS controls the license, Stern is building the games, and the distributors are selling them. Where does CGC fit in the equation? Fewer hands in the pot means game 2 could cost less and sell more units.

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

PPS controls the license, Stern is building the games, and the distributors are selling them. Where does CGC fit in the equation? Fewer hands in the pot means game 2 could cost less and sell more units.

CGC makes the parts obviously.

Kind of important and hard to skip that part.

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

Please forgive me as I have a lot of ignored users in this thread so I don't have the whole picture. I'm just curious what the rumor/speculation is on why PPS might consider doing PPS #2 without CGC?

You didn't miss anything. In fact, you and Metallik may have gotten this thread back on track. Where the hell were you 7 pages ago?!

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

CGC makes the parts obviously.
Kind of important and hard to skip that part.

I guess they're needed for cabinets... everything else could be sourced by PPS now that the platform is developed. Still, the cabs are pretty important

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I guess they're needed for cabinets... everything else could be sourced by PPS now that the platform is developed. Still, the cabs are pretty important

PPS doesn't make much of anything themselves from what I understand .

#312 9 years ago

No reason CG's platform would have to be used in any follow up re-makes. Stern has a platform the seems to work fairly well.

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Don't close the thread yet. We haven't resolved the blender issue.

What we have heyah is a total lack of respect ferthethread.

Buford.jpgBuford.jpg

#314 9 years ago

I think a really good thread title would be : will mmr be a one and done for nib pinball buyers?

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

MMr was a no brainer. Other titles correct pricing will matter.

Agreed! Any other remakes will probably have to come in well below 8K to be a success (IMHO).

#316 9 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I would guess it is not in PPS's best interest to answer

Maybe not, but if that's Rick's decision, I'd rather see the thread closed and avoid pure speculation and way off topic comments.

There is a lot of benefit to both PPS and potential customers in understanding the dynamics. Do we know that CG owns the electronics platform? Or did PPS spec it out for manufacturing? I think there are still outstanding questions for MMR (e.g. Who is responsible / provides warranty support) too.

Do we really expect that new players are going to magically appear for any future remakes? I don't.

Look at one part in the announced process for MMR - completed games will be shipped to CG for final inspection. It seems logical that it would be less expensive to do this on site at Stern - it's not like they don't have any experience in this area (and I would argue that history shows Stern has far more experience than CG when it comes to pinball). Maybe there is a good reason for doing it for MMR, but will/should that be a case for the next title?

For the other entities producing new pinball machines (Stern, JJP, Spooky, Dutch Pinball, Heighway) we know who does what and what the high level processes / ownership is. We still don't understand that with PPS and Chicago Gaming or have any reluable information on why that isn't reasonable for us to know.

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

PPS #2 and beyond will include CGC, they are our partner, have made significant hardware investment in a platform which will support #2 and beyond. There is no need to speculate as we have a multi-game agreement that we are planning to move forward on.

rick

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

You didn't miss anything. In fact, you and Metallik may have gotten this thread back on track. Where the hell were you 7 pages ago?!

I was expecting there is a theory that CGC is getting canned just because such ridiculous things are the norm around here.

#319 9 years ago

yes, manipulation is the rule on pinside - stuff if made up every day just to get reactions out of pinsiders ... and usually works ... lol

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I was expecting there is a theory that CGC is getting canned just because such ridiculous things are the norm around here.

Their name is on the boards in the game. End of any such theory.

LTG : )™

#321 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You're only giving them credit for the cabinets? Don't ignore the playfield. Oh yeah, the new electronics, that's pretty simple right? Anyone can do that easily. Now, stern manufacturing. If your plan is not to make pins for the rest of your life why would you go through all the trouble to make a line. Why not use someone else's line who is very close and you have an established relationship. Rick can source most of the parts from manufacturers.

But yeah, cabinets. That's all Chicago Gaming has done, cabinets. Well said.

#322 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Their name is on the boards in the game. End of any such theory.
LTG : )™

You beat me to it.
platform.jpgplatform.jpg

#323 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

There is no need to speculate as we have a multi-game agreement that we are planning to move forward on.

The dream remains.

spaceship.jpgspaceship.jpg

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

PPS #2 and beyond will include CGC, they are our partner, have made significant hardware investment in a platform which will support #2 and beyond. There is no need to speculate as we have a multi-game agreement that we are planning to move forward on.
rick

Although I would have liked a bit more detail, this answers the topic question pretty definitively as a "NO", so I don't see any particular use for this thread going forward.

Could a mod close this thread? Seems like the other topics that have popped up here are pretty well covered elsewhere.

#326 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don't see any particular use for this thread going forward.

What about more re-make requests?
wonderland.jpgwonderland.jpg

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Could a mod close this thread?

Oh poo...

#328 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Could a mod close this thread?

PLEASE....

#329 9 years ago

Whatever Ted. But then you may miss out on the BIG announcement.

Rocket_.jpgRocket_.jpg

#330 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

yes, manipulation is the rule on pinside - stuff if made up every day just to get reactions out of pinsiders ... and usually works ... lol

LOL, Amen.

#331 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Saying that manipulation is the rule on Pinside seems not only wrong, but unnecessarily cynical. Certainly there are some with their own agendas, but people making stuff up as the norm? No way. And there's no way Robin would condone that.

I'll agree with you that there is a lot of speculation, educated guesses and SWAGs, but that's more because those that know the facts (like you for PPS) either don't share them in a timely manner, wait until things get way out of hand before stepping in, or simply refuse to answer questions or participate in the discussion.

This thread is case in point - not only did you not bother to reply to the OP in a timely fashion, but you simply ignored the key set of questions posed to you twice. That type of manipulation is at least as bad as what you claim.

If you want fair and truthful reactions from Pinsiders, be a little more responsible and responsive with your posts.

#332 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Saying that manipulation is the rule on Pinside seems not only wrong, but unnecessarily cynical. Certainly there are some with their own agendas, but people making stuff up as the norm? No way. And there's no way Robin would condone that.
I'll agree with you that there is a lot of speculation, educated guesses and SWAGs, but that's more because those that know the facts (like you for PPS) either don't share them in a timely manner, wait until things get way out of hand before stepping in, or simply refuse to answer questions or participate in the discussion.
This thread is case in point - not only did you not bother to reply to the OP in a timely fashion, but you simply ignored the key set of questions posed to you twice. That type of manipulation is at least as bad as what you claim.
If you want fair and truthful reactions from Pinsiders, be a little more responsible and responsive with your posts.

I think you're making his point here though. What you're saying is: "We have questions. If you don't want to answer them (right now), we'll speculate/'SWAG' away and it's on you because you didn't respond (promptly/at all) to the questions you didn't want to answer."

Would a completely open-door policy at PPS lead to less speculation? Probably. Does any company in America function that way? Nope. Is it standard protocol on the internet for people to post likely-incorrect theories with the intent of smoking out additional information from those in the know? Of course, and that happens on pinside as well.

Take your thread title. You could have gone with "What's the relationship between CGC and PPS with regard to MMr?" and posted your ultimate question succinctly in your first post. Instead you went with the (I think you'd admit) speculative and somewhat titillating "one and done?" title, presumably with the thought of provoking a response from Rick and/or piquing more interest from other pinsiders? You didn't get the specific answer you were looking for but you did get more information from Rick re: the ongoing involvement of CGC, so it worked!

#333 9 years ago

fyi ... it may be that I have ignore turned on for less than a handful of people, which makes pinside a much better experience, so if I don't respond to you that's probably the reason

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Could a mod close this thread? Seems like the other topics that have popped up here are pretty well covered elsewhere.

Sure thing. Let me know of you want it re-opened.

Also, probably best to PM one of us directly in a case like this. Sometimes we don't see every post in those big threads.

Pete

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-mmr-be-one-and-done-for-chicago-gaming/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.