(Topic ID: 104928)

Could MMR be "one and done" for Chicago Gaming?

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rocket_.jpg
wonderland.jpg
spaceship.jpg
platform.jpg
Buford.jpg
bubble.gif
IMAG5215.jpg
repro.jpeg
Keep up.jpg
sensitive.jpg
fired.jpg
dick.jpg
Popcorn.gif
gsm.jpg
pog.jpeg
2014-10-03-20-30-28--1598937576.jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Don't call me a liar, you don't know me.

No, I don't know you and I wasn't aware that I was calling you a liar since I was commenting on a post that didn't mention or quote you.

However, many of your comments seem put down views of people I'm guessing you don't know so...

#252 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just as long as your buddy doesn't leave his initials on your machine as grand champion for too long, then yes you are ahead of the game.

But that's the beauty of owning your own machine. Change those batteries regularly and no need to worry about Grand Champion scores.

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

But that's the beauty of owning your own machine. Change those batteries regularly and no need to worry about Grand Champion scores.

I doesn't work that way around here Kim. No shortcuts. I had to do service on my BK2K recently and while I was at it, it was time to put in a remote battery pack. I felt kind of bad because Nimblepin had bumped the GC on that up to around 12 mil. But after I put it back together on my second game I set the bar a little higher at 13 mil. No harm, no foul.

Repairing pinball machines makes you a better player. Now back to work......

#254 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I could easily see games like CFTBL and Whitewater being remade down the road with a price of around $5k similar to Stern VE's. The profit margin may not be as much, but once Rick has UL approval for the transformer and as long as he includes coin mechs and doesn't offer different color powder coats it should be easy money

Lol don't forget the coin mechs (those cheap bastards)...However that horrific repro hologram on the CFTBL will make the originals look like a bargain.

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

don't forget the coin mechs (those cheap bastards)..

Ditto! I can't get it out of my head how impertinent this move was.

#256 9 years ago
repro.jpegrepro.jpeg
#257 9 years ago

I'm a little late to this circle jerk. But having gone to their open house and talking with the owner, they absolutely have their shit together. They have a small team of developers that do the tech right, pay for the licensing, they've been making cabs and playfields forever and have that down. Making MMR was a new thing for them, but they wanted to do it right the first time to have a platform to develop from for future releases.

The owner didn't give anything away, but certainly hinted that the speculation here for them making another release is a very real possibility. The only other things they do is "arcade classics" multigames that apparently they sell a lot of, and a few redemption games.

They develop the tech and buy the licenses. They make the cabs and playfields, Stern throws them together, the community rejoices. That's about it.

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Major League eye roll. - I'm done here.

Well, you whiffed on your point. Probably best that you grab some pine.

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wow. Right on queue!
I just made this post a few minutes ago, and I read your post right after posting this in another thread:

Thanks for proving my point!
And here's a hint for you so maybe you (and others who keeping repeating this same nonsense) can understand: if someone is buying a pin (or anything else for that matter) with the expectation that it will decrease in value, that person isn't buying it as an "investment". Period.
Not wanting it to lose substantial value when it comes time to sell does not equate to buying it as an investment!
Is this really so hard to comprehend?
Investment: An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in value in the future.
Comprende?

Ok. So did you buy yours hoping they wouldn't lose substantial value? Not as an investment...I think we are all capable of understanding that. Take away the "investment argument". Substitute "bought not wanting to lose substantial value". How does potential remakes in the future impact the value of your collection as it stands?

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Speaking of pathetic!
You get all up in Kim's shit for accusing you of bringing politics into one of your posts (which you did), you argue that you didn't because the word "conservative" has a meaning outside of politics, and then.....you bring up politics by saying Conservatism including politics is a "DRAG"!!
Truly, you can be pathetic at times.

Lol. Political topics are off limits. Are you saying that describing individual behavior patterns (that certainly influence a persons political viewpoints as well as their general worldview and, by association, their opinion of the pinball marketplace) is also off limits? Or is this whole topic off limits because it's on economics....which is sometimes a political focus? Geez, you lawyers will argue anything,

Listen gramps, I don't go for the immediate name calling insult....which is more your style. For their "unenlightened" opinion I could have called the person a grandpa, a curmudgeon, a coward, a wuss, a pussy, a whiny bitch, or a butthurt little crybaby - and posted a picture like you do in your infinite maturity- but instead I said that their conservative viewpoint (meaning in this case cautious and limited) was tiresome. Same thing. Pick your poison. Words have meaning and nuance...and just because some people here use political viewpoints as veiled instruments - and then cower behind the "no politics on Pinside rule" - doesn't meant I'm afraid to use my vocabulary properly.

I've found that people that don't understand, or are ashamed of, or can't adequately defend their own political viewpoints tend to play the "no politics on Pinside" card the most. Usually after witlessly stating something politically insensitive or clueless. But this isn't about politics, it's about Kim knee jerkingky calling me out inappropriately for something he didn't understand and now you pouring on gasoline by sticking your nose where it doesn't belong....again.

#261 9 years ago

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
adjective
holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.
synonyms: traditionalist, traditional, conventional, orthodox, old-fashioned, dyed-in-the-wool, hidebound, unadventurous, set in one's ways; More
antonyms: radical
(of dress or taste) sober and conventional.
"a conservative suit"
synonyms: conventional, sober, modest, plain, unobtrusive, restrained, subtle, low-key, demure, unshowy, unflashy; More
(of an estimate) purposely low for the sake of caution.
"the film was not cheap—$30,000 is a conservative estimate"
synonyms: low, cautious, understated, moderate, reasonable
"a conservative estimate"
(of surgery or medical treatment) intended to control rather than eliminate a condition, with existing tissue preserved as far as possible.
of or relating to the Conservative Party of Great Britain or a similar party in another country.
adjective: Conservative
synonyms: right-wing, reactionary, traditionalist; More
noun
noun: conservative; plural noun: conservatives
a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics.
synonyms: right-winger, reactionary, rightist, diehard; More

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I'm a little late to this circle jerk. But having gone to their open house and talking with the owner, they absolutely have their shit together. They have a small team of developers that do the tech right, pay for the licensing, they've been making cabs and playfields forever and have that down.

Who was running this show?

Will we see PPS or the CGC logo on the new games?

Is CGC the lead decision maker (ala no coin mechs), or are they a contracted engineering house?

Will we have to pay more for a hard copy of the manual?

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Lol. Political topics are off limits. Are you saying that describing individual behavior patterns (that certainly influence a persons political viewpoints as well as their general worldview and, by association, their opinion of the pinball marketplace) is also off limits? Or is this whole topic off limits because it's on economics....which is sometimes a political focus? Geez, you lawyers will argue anything,
Listen gramps, I don't go for the immediate name calling insult....which is more your style. For their "unenlightened" opinion I could have called the person a grandpa, a curmudgeon, a coward, a wuss, a pussy, a whiny bitch, or a butthurt little crybaby - and posted a picture like you do in your infinite maturity- but instead I said that their conservative viewpoint (meaning in this case cautious and limited) was tiresome. Same thing. Pick your poison. Words have meaning and nuance...and just because some people here use political viewpoints as veiled instruments - and then cower behind the "no politics on Pinside rule" - doesn't meant I'm afraid to use my vocabulary properly.
I've found that people that don't understand, or are ashamed of, or can't adequately defend their own political viewpoints tend to play the "no politics on Pinside" card the most. Usually after witlessly stating something politically insensitive or clueless. But this isn't about politics, it's about Kim knee jerkingky calling me out inappropriately for something he didn't understand and now you pouring on gasoline by sticking your nose where it doesn't belong....again.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvədiv/
adjective
holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.
synonyms: traditionalist, traditional, conventional, orthodox, old-fashioned, dyed-in-the-wool, hidebound, unadventurous, set in one's ways; More
antonyms: radical
(of dress or taste) sober and conventional.
"a conservative suit"
synonyms: conventional, sober, modest, plain, unobtrusive, restrained, subtle, low-key, demure, unshowy, unflashy; More
(of an estimate) purposely low for the sake of caution.
"the film was not cheap—$30,000 is a conservative estimate"
synonyms: low, cautious, understated, moderate, reasonable
"a conservative estimate"
(of surgery or medical treatment) intended to control rather than eliminate a condition, with existing tissue preserved as far as possible.
of or relating to the Conservative Party of Great Britain or a similar party in another country.
adjective: Conservative
synonyms: right-wing, reactionary, traditionalist; More
noun
noun: conservative; plural noun: conservatives
a person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in relation to politics.
synonyms: right-winger, reactionary, rightist, diehard; More

Relax
[ri-laks] verb (used with object)

1. to make less tense, rigid, or firm; make lax:
to relax the muscles.
2. to diminish the force of.
3. to slacken or abate, as effort, attention, etc.
4. to make less strict or severe, as rules, discipline, etc.:
to relax the requirements for a license.
5. to release or bring relief from the effects of tension, anxiety, etc.:
A short swim always relaxes me.
verb (used without object)
6. to become less tense, rigid, or firm.
7. to become less strict or severe; grow milder.
8. to reduce or stop work, effort, application, etc., especially for the sake of rest or recreation.
9. to release oneself from inhibition, worry, tension, etc.

#264 9 years ago

Best response ever!!!

#265 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you've spent more than 25% of your net worth on your pins, they're an investment.

I would like to meet that guy to discuss some prime oceanfront property just outside of St. Louis.

#266 9 years ago

AFM matches stern's barren games, no reason PPS should charge $5500 or more. If stern can pump out a game for under 5k, pps should be able to as well.

#267 9 years ago

When I starting collecting (before prices really climbed), it seems that more collectors were willing to rotate their titles more freely with the understanding that if they ever wanted that pin again that it would be easy and cheap enough to find another one. Games were cheap and plentiful. Not in the best shape, but if you wanted a certain pin they were out there for a decent price. Even NIB were somewhat affordable. Economy tanked. When Stern had to increase prices to stay in business it seemed the sky was falling. Collectors started hoarding games thinking *end of pinball times*. Once games were harder to come by, collector started to lock in their 'must haves'. This drought drove up prices even more which in turn tighted collectors grips even more ("I can't let go of my <insert A-title here>, I'll never find another one for <2005 price> again in 2010".) Grail games were restored, increasing their investment. The economy came back. Pinball came back. Pinball grew in popularity. Seeing prices hadn't retreated, collectors continued to dig in their heels and refused to sell. This created a somewhat false demand in games for the few who wanted certain titles that were sitting idle in many collector's basements. When they did sell, restored games fetched crazy prices. Stern/JJP's prices and 'tiered' selling model start to reflect the new pin economy. HUO game prices followed. Some LE's become unobtainium further justifying Stern's tiered model strategy. Collectors start customizing on a grand scale, pouring money into game cosmetics. Secondary market prices go up further. Boutique and remakes see opportunity - some collectors start to 'cash out' with talk of bubble. Prices on some hot titles plateau for first time. Many LE's NIB sit unsold. Market is saturated. Stern/JJP/Boutiques respond by giving collectors what they want - title, designer, features ... even re-running previous titles. Collectors respond by starting to rotate their titles more freely wanting the latest/greatest. HUO games drop slightly in price as result. That brings us to today.

#268 9 years ago

Liberal and Conservative have been Pinball words for many years. I first saw those words when I got my first Bally part catalog in 1975. I had no idea what those words meant, but I sure remember seeing them. No politics involved.

IMAG5215.jpgIMAG5215.jpg
#269 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I had no idea what those words meant, but I sure remember seeing them.

If only TFA were there with his handy dictionary

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

AFM matches stern's barren games, no reason PPS should charge $5500 or more. If stern can pump out a game for under 5k, pps should be able to as well.

I think they will need to adjust pricing strategy in order to maximize potential profits for a future run of say-AFM. Would PPS rather sell 1500 units at $5500 or 500 at $7500? $8,250,000 or $3,750,000

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think they will need to adjust pricing strategy in order to maximize potential profits for a future run of say-AFM. Would PPS rather sell 1500 units at $5500 or 500 at $7500? $8,250,000 or $3,750,000

MMr was a no brainer. Other titles correct pricing will matter.

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

MMr was a no brainer.

Especially since rumors were 6k until every arsehat on here kept posting how they would gladly pay 8-10k for one.

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Liberal and Conservative have been Pinball words for many years. I first saw those words when I got my first Bally part catalog in 1975. I had no idea what those words meant, but I sure remember seeing them. No politics involved.

Outlane adjustments. But I think they had it backwards.

#274 9 years ago

#275 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Especially since rumors were 6k until every arsehat on here kept posting how they would gladly pay 8-10k for one.

Yep, Rick listened, and they got what they asked for.

#276 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Yep, Rick listened, and they got what they asked for.

I'm hoping for the used standard 2-3 years from now for $5000

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Is CGC the lead decision maker (ala no coin mechs), or are they a contracted engineering house?

The coin mech decision was made by CGC. This info may be helpful as well:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/105#post-1814022

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Outlane adjustments. But I think they had it backwards.

No, not from the operators standpoint. Conservative less ball saves, liberal more ball saves.

LTG : )™

#279 9 years ago

Yeah, I get it. Around here liberal means let that ball drain.

#280 9 years ago

It's funny, as at odd times I go thru the WMS IP disks that I have and have found several playfield designs which were on the drawing board which were never made for one reason or the other. In deference to the designer I will probably try to connect with them, but would be cool to share what 'could have been' ...

rick

#281 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

but would be cool to share what 'could have been' ...

A DVD would sell nicely and the historical content would be valuable. Maybe involve Pacific Pinball Museum somehow...

I'll bet your having a great time going through all of that stuff. I'm envious.

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

It's funny, as at odd times I go thru the WMS IP disks that I have and have found several playfield designs which were on the drawing board which were never made for one reason or the other. In deference to the designer I will probably try to connect with them, but would be cool to share what 'could have been' ...
rick

Very cool!

#283 9 years ago

I am modding my GTO, the boxes are much bigger, the parts are cheaper and the shipping is free.
The front and rear sway bars cost less than a set of plastics.
We are getting hosed big time for pinparts.

#284 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

We are getting hosed big time for pinparts.

#285 9 years ago

Since this may have gotten lost in the noise, repeating a question for Rick:

Quoted from jfh:

Since you are probably one of the few that can comment on the topic with knowledge, can you provide a little more background/insight on how MMR came to be and the role CG plays in it?
Would CG have to be (reasonably) involved in future PPS licensed remakes? Wouldn't it be better for PPS to be the driver of a PPS themed remake than ceding control to an outside company?
I'm not asking for you to pre-announce anything, but am genuinely interested in understanding both the process involved for MMR and how it could be improved for potential future titles (my logic being the fewer entities involved, the more likely costs can be reduced, leading to the possibility of more people being interested in games that might be profitable at a lower price point).

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

#287 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Since this may have gotten lost in the noise, repeating a question for Rick:

Lower price point?
LOL!
10K by Christmas.

#288 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

» YouTube video

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Lower price point?
LOL!
10K by Christmas.

8k pre-orders aren't selling for 7.5k if the last mmre for sale post is any indication so 10k would be crickets of course. i imagine 8k for the next remake would be a flop as well considering what jjp and dp are putting out in the near future...imo

#290 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

8k pre-orders aren't selling for 7.5k if the last mmre for sale post is any indication so 10k would be crickets of course. i imagine 8k for the next remake would be a flop as well considering what jjp and dp are putting out in the near future...imo</blockquote

bubble.gifbubble.gif
#291 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i imagine 8k for the next remake would be a flop as well considering what jjp and dp are putting out in the near future...imo

Maybe, maybe not… like they say: "A fool and his money are soon parted"

My best advice… SEND MONEY NOW!

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Maybe, maybe not… like they say: "A fool and his money are soon parted"
My best advice… SEND MONEY NOW!

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

8k pre-orders aren't selling for 7.5k if the last mmre for sale post is any indication so 10k would be crickets of course. i imagine 8k for the next remake would be a flop as well considering what jjp and dp are putting out in the near future...imo

Maybe PPS will continue tradition and clearance out a bunch of MMre's in a couple years. I think they would open up a much larger audience of buyers at $5500 MMRE.

#294 9 years ago

there won't be a clearance as we will not make many more (nor need to) than we have sold ... so I think this should keep resale prices higher vs lower ...

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

there won't be a clearance as we will not make many more (nor need to) than we have sold ... so I think this should keep resale prices higher vs lower ...

You said you were also going to make a standard MMR after the LE. Is that still in play?

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You said you were also going to make a standard MMR after the LE. Is that still in play?

Only if demand deems it so...my guess, likely not.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

so I think this should keep resale prices higher vs lower ...

pure speculation on your behalf...prices are falling already based on anecdotal evidence. higher vs lower is irrelevant because it seems most mmre customers are quite content on evaporating values it seems. falling knives are a bitch to catch and this is where the hobby is going with 8k machines.

good luck with the next one if it's 8K, you'll need it.

#298 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Only if demand deems it so...my guess, likely not.

There is demand and we already have sales to resellers for standard ... again, you can pervert my point, which was we will sell what we have orders for. MMR's are just fine.

rick

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Now we care about re-sale prices? Interesting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-mmr-be-one-and-done-for-chicago-gaming/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.