(Topic ID: 104928)

Could MMR be "one and done" for Chicago Gaming?

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rocket_.jpg
wonderland.jpg
spaceship.jpg
platform.jpg
Buford.jpg
bubble.gif
IMAG5215.jpg
repro.jpeg
Keep up.jpg
sensitive.jpg
fired.jpg
dick.jpg
Popcorn.gif
gsm.jpg
pog.jpeg
2014-10-03-20-30-28--1598937576.jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 9 years ago

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the OP - my question was more "will Chicago Gaming continue to be involved?", not "will there be more games licensed for production by PPS?"

Rick may be the only one that can answer this, but why does PPS need CG to produce the game?

If PPS wants to see more games, why would they want to wait for CG to come say "we want to build x?"

We have been told MMR was a CG game - why didn't/couldn't PPS be the driver, especially if Stern is on board to build them. Why didn't PPS contract with CG to build the game?

I do believe the market is different than last year and CG may not want to deal with the extra competition that exists now to produce a title that may sell considerably less than MMR, but PPS may, since they make money from the WMS IP.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Rick may be the only one that can answer this, but why does PPS need CG to produce the game?

Because they aren't a manufacturing company. They are a license holder that makes money by allowing others to make products based on the license(s) that they hold.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It was stated a year ago that Chicago Gaming was going to be producing the pins. I am not sure that this is still the case. Chicago gaming is a production facility. PPS would have engaged with them to build the machines. It is almost sounding like they were not able to meet the demand, time line, costs, or whatever and that PPS has switched to Stern to build the games. PPS would be the only people that would be able to tell us for sure.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Plenty of fools out there that don't mind wasting their cash on 20 year old rehash so why stop at one?

I'm sure the next one will be ready to ship the 2nd quarter of 2015 so please… SEND MONEY NOW!

Well, there could be a more diplomatic way to say it, but I must admit you made me laugh...

#55 9 years ago

I don't know what the big deal is for MMr..... its a new game, it costs around the same as a JJP or Stern new game, its a title that is well liked, and its allowing more people to join the "elite" MM club. Do people like it or not, is it the last Williams remake game, does it bring the cost down of originals, its not like the original.... does anyone really care about these things other than to argue about it?

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I don't know what the big deal is for MMr..... its a new game, it costs around the same as a JJP or Stern new game, its a title that is well liked, and its allowing more people to join the "elite" MM club. Do people like it or not, is it the last Williams remake game, does it bring the cost down of originals, its not like the original.... does anyone really care about these things other than to argue about it?

a lot of people feel very angry and threatened, and are desperate to cast MMRLE as a negative thing for the hobby merely because it's potentially a negative thing for their own personal profits. it's as simple as that for some (though not all) of the complainers.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

a lot of people feel very angry and threatened, and are desperate to cast MMRLE as a negative thing for the hobby merely because it's potentially a negative thing for their own personal profits. it's as simple as that for some (though not all) of the complainers.

+ 1 million.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

does anyone really care about these things other than to argue about it?

I'd like an argument please.

hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg
#59 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

There is probably more anger and people feeling threatened by those who try to cast MMr in a negative light than people who actually try to paint MMr in a negative light.

Probably because of their own personal decision pre-order MMr, so they have a vested interest in having it come out great.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

As far as not creating anything of value, people like Teekee offer a service in terms of finding very nice (often HUO or fully restored) pins that can be difficult to find. There are obviously people willing to pay for this service. That's the "value".

lol, okay

#61 9 years ago

Thanks for the discussion.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There is probably more anger and people feeling threatened by those who try to cast MMr in a negative light than people who actually try to paint MMr in a negative light.
Probably because of their own personal decision pre-order MMr, so they have a vested interest in having it come out great.

I don't think that's a concern at all.

I think the overall assumption by those that ordered is that it's as fun as the original.

THEY are not the ones spazzing out like Teekee. They aren't the ones trying to dismiss how good it will be before being played. They aren't the ones flying around the forums trying to convince others that an original commands a higher price tag no matter what. Those that pre-ordered are RESPONDING to this nonsense.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks for the discussion.

Not much to be said, I think you have low standards for the term "service".

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Not much to be said, I think you have low standards for the term "service".

And I think you just like to bash for the sake of bashing.

I have friends who have bought pins from Teekee for the very reasons that I stated. And they are very happy customers...as shocking as that may be to you.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And I think you just like to bash for the sake of bashing.

You have read your own comments on pinside correct? This is actually the first thread I've ever said anything negative. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed that I did. I generally keep things pretty positive considering so many will come into threads and dump on everything they can for no good reason.

Quoted from RobT:

I have friends who have bought pins from Teekee for the very reasons that I stated. And they are very happy customers...as shocking as that may be to you.

That is shocking, but I believe you none the less.

#66 9 years ago

After thinking long and hard about this, I can only come to one conclusion.

Who the fuck knows.....

Anyone want a beer? It's Friday.

Quoted from jfh:

Perhaps I wasn't clear in the OP - my question was more "will Chicago Gaming continue to be involved?", not "will there be more games licensed for production by PPS?"
If PPS wants to see more games, why would they want to wait for CG to come say "we want to build x?"
We have been told MMR was a CG game - why didn't/couldn't PPS be the driver, especially if Stern is on board to build them. Why didn't PPS contract with CG to build the game?
I do believe the market is different than last year and CG may not want to deal with the extra competition that exists now to produce a title that may sell considerably less than MMR, but PPS may, since they make money from the WMS IP.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You do know this isn't true, right?
"Flippers" are no more to blame for high prices than the actual buyers. If the price that Teekee or anyone else listed for a pin was too high, it wouldn't sell.
As far as not creating anything of value, people like Teekee offer a service in terms of finding very nice (often HUO or fully restored) pins that can be difficult to find. There are obviously people willing to pay for this service. That's the "value".
Just because you don't like it and you wouldn't pay for that service doesn't mean that many other people haven't, and will continue to do so.
So get over it already.

Post edited by misfitdart: Cancel this pist

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

PPS would have engaged with them to build the machines.

Except Rick says this is a CG project and PPS is not in charge, so PPS didn't engage CG - CG licensed the ability to produce MMR from PPS. That's what I don't get - Why is CG driving this bus?

#69 9 years ago

As more new feature rich machines from major manufacturers, like TBL and potentially the Hobbit hit the market I think the remakes are going to be a tough sell at a similar price point.

To me, much of the allure of a new machine is getting a new pinball playing experience. You don't get this with the remakes. What you get is a chance to buy a new model of a grail machine.

Problem is that as soon as the remake is announced the price of the originals drops, so the remakes are not only competing with the new releases but with the originals that offer the same game playing experience.

If there is another remake, it will most likely be facing much stiffer competition than MMr was when it was announced.

We should do a poll after TBL and Hobbit are in peoples homes and see how many buyers would be in for an AFMr at $8k, especially with Lawlor's pin on the horizon.

#70 9 years ago

Look at it this way....

20 +year old $12000 classic car. Owned by collectors who over the years because of supply and demand have set the price. Fun to drive, will still get me where i want to go. Might need a little work now and then. Could not drive it every day to work.
But its the classic I always wanted.

New remake $8000 car. Fun to dive. Get me where I want to go. Can drive it every day. Has a warranty. And its new. Still might need some work in the future, but its covered by the manufacturer for the first year. Looks and drives like the classic I always wanted. Has a new modern engine, brakes, paint, electronics.

Now which would you buy?

Thats why they will continue to remake any/all of the most desired higher priced games.
Availibility, price and common sense.

An example online right now.
1968 ford gt40 $169000. 45 year old technology. Requiring constant maintaince to drive everyday.
2010 ford gt 40 $ 100000. Modern components, steering, brakes etc. Faster too.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If they lower their prices it could change everything.

Yes, it would put everyone out of business.

I agree with Mr. 68, 2 and done with #2 a break even proposition or a loss for PPS IMHO. MMR will take a bigger hit than X-Men or Avengers % wise on the resale market and the people that actually hung on and put down the money will tap out.

Sad. I was hoping for more games from JJP and Stern, but I fear these opportunists will eventually kill the golden goose.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Yes, it would put everyone out of business.
I agree with Mr. 68, 2 and done with #2 a break even proposition or a loss for PPS IMHO. MMR will take a bigger hit than X-Men or Avengers % wise on the resale market and the people that actually hung on and put down the money will tap out.
Sad. I was hoping for more games from JJP and Stern, but I fear these opportunists will eventually kill the golden goose.

If JJP and Stern can't compete with a 20 year old design then their demise is their own fault. Not that I think it is remotely likely to happen.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

New remake $8000 car. Fun to dive. Get me where I want to go. Can drive it every day. Has a warranty. And its new. Still might need some work in the future, but its covered by the manufacturer for the first year. Looks and drives like the classic I always wanted. Has a new modern engine, brakes, paint, electronics.
Now which would you buy?
Thats why they will continue to remake any/all of the most desired higher priced games.
Availability, price and common sense.

Or....for $8k you can get a new cool looking vehicle from a different manufacturer that gets 1.5x the gas mileage, 2x the power, heads-up display, keyless ignition/door locks and memory seats.

Or.... for $5k you can get a decent used original that looks and plays the same.

Which would you get?

I'm just saying the market starts to get narrower. Success will depend on how many games they need to sell to make it worthwhile.

Edit: One advantage PPS has is that they are making replacement parts anyway. They can get things in place while gauging the market without too much risk.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

MMR will take a bigger hit than X-Men or Avengers % wise on the resale market and the people that actually hung on and put down the money will tap out.

This is one of the main reasons I dropped out of the MMR. I "thought" I was buying a $12,000.00 game for $8K. I love a deal. But then I realized I was really buying an $8000.00 game for $8000.00 dollars... And once I opened the box it would immediately be worth $7000.00 or worse. And when they start pumping out the Standard MMR its sky-falling prices.

But hey, I'm happy for all of the purist's that buy only for the love of hobby and don't care about taking a huge loss.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Look at it this way....
20 +year old $12000 classic car. Owned by collectors who over the years because of supply and demand have set the price. Fun to drive, will still get me where i want to go. Might need a little work now and then. Could not drive it every day to work.
But its the classic I always wanted.
Now which would you buy?
Availibility, price and common sense.
An example online right now.
1968 ford gt40 $169000. 45 year old technology. Requiring constant maintaince to drive everyday.
2010 ford gt 40 $ 100000. Modern components, steering, brakes etc. Faster too.

They never made a 2010 gt40 and the 05-06 gt are over 200k but I get your point.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is one of the main reasons I dropped out of the MMR. I "thought" I was buying a $12,000.00 game for $8K. I love a deal. But then I realized I was really buying an $8000.00 game for $8000.00 dollars... And once I opened the box it would immediately be worth $7000.00 or worse. And when they start pumping out the Standard MMR its sky-falling prices.

BINGO. That's exactly why I'm not in on one either. Plus I want to make sure there are no hardware problems and if there are I want to see how it's handled.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

But hey, I'm happy for all of the purist's that buy only for the love of hobby and don't care about taking a huge loss.

Best post of thread.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Yes, but not likely. They sold a lot of MMR, why stop now?

A year ago, the first 1,000 were sold fast with speculation.
The sum of the deposits was a million dollars.

We now see guys here selling their place in line, at a loss.

So, how many people will take that same the risk again?

Why not just wait until they produce game number 2, and buy it then, when it is 'cheaper'?

So, without the pre-order million, will PPS/CGC take the risk again? Or, do they really need the deposits to go forward?

If they make it past game number 2, I would be surprised.

I'm with Mr. 68.

#79 9 years ago

I canceled my MMR order in less than 24 hours of the announcement . I ordered from Twisted pins and got my money back immediately. I was only excited by the 1000 number and quickly figured out the same exact thing as MR68.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nailed it.

#81 9 years ago

Price on the latest Stern LE skyrockets and people complain. MMR and Stern vault editions lowers pinball prices and people complain. People are all for cheap pins, as long as it's not the pin they are selling.

#82 9 years ago

So should I start looking at every purchase in life like an investment? Only buy products that will grow in value? That's going to make grocery and underwear shopping difficult.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

So should I start looking at every purchase in life like an investment? Only buy products that will grow in value? That's going to make grocery and underwear shopping difficult.

of course not. i think its great people are buying mmr for the pure enjoyment of the machine. i invest in food for the enjoyment of eating something delicious. personally, i got my refund back because i want to buy and support something new from jjp, stern or dp. down the road i might buy a used machine, but not anywhere near the 8k price of course.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I bought the game because I love it and wanted to have a chance to play it at home. And not just in any condition, but brand new.

I get your motivation, but I'm not sure it's the right one (at least for me) for buying MMR (or pins in general)

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Price on the latest Stern LE skyrockets and people complain. MMR and Stern vault editions lowers pinball prices and people complain. People are all for cheap pins, as long as it's not the pin they are selling.

No one wants to own a pin that plummets in value ! NO ONE .

#86 9 years ago

But everyone wants to be on the buying end of that pin that plummets in value... Some people here just want it both ways and it's not practicle.

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

That's right. And that's why I got into some pissing matches here on Pinside when the MMR announcement was made. Certain people on here were laughing of how original MM owners were going to lose money. They were called stupid or at least it was implied. Truly pathetic behavior. And some of those jokers are about to find out about losing.

And for the record I've never owned a MM.

Quoted from mario_1_up:

So should I start looking at every purchase in life like an investment? Only buy products that will grow in value?

Basically, Yes. This is one of the secrets to accumulating wealth or at the very least improving ones life. From the very beginning I have treated my pinball hobby with an eye on the bottom line.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Quoted from Mr68:

Basically, Yes. This is one of the secrets to accumulating wealth or at the very least improving ones life. From the very beginning I have treated my pinball hobby with an eye on the bottom line.

Exactly! We're talking about thousands and thousands of dollars here. Not like buying underwear or groceries… gimme a break!

It you spend 8 grand for a new pin every so often and you don't treat it as an 'investment' and you don't care what happens to the value and you don't care how far the value plummets then you're an idiot! SIMPLE AS THAT.

#89 9 years ago

Ignore his "idiot" comment but please consider my words.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

So, how many people will take that same the risk again?
Why not just wait until they produce game number 2, and buy it then, when it is 'cheaper'?
So, without the pre-order million, will PPS/CGC take the risk again? Or, do they really need the deposits to go forward?

If you believe Rick, they don't plan on announcing the next game until they're very close to production (so there won't be the same pre-order opportunity), and presumably PPS isn't banking on pre-order money to fund production of that pin.

If you're asking why buy new at all, be it from PPS, Stern or JJP ... well, if it's not worth a decent chunk of money to you to have the new game upon release, or to be the first owner of that game, there's probably no reason to. Of course if everyone took this approach sales of new pins would plummet, and manufacturers will either stop making them all together, or run much smaller runs (either of which will dry up supply and presumably lead to higher prices on used games, assuming that demand remains the same.) But that still doesn't mean it makes financial sense for an individual to buy new.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Exactly! We're talking about thousands and thousands of dollars here. Not like buying underwear or groceries… gimme a break!
It you spend 8 grand for a new pin every so often and you don't treat it as an 'investment' and you don't care what happens to the value and you don't care how far the value plummets then you're an idiot! SIMPLE AS THAT.

I do not understand what is so difficult to understand. everyone likes money. but most people are smart enough to know their leisure activities will not be profitable, and expecting them to be is a major bummer / stress point / distraction -- as is evidenced by your insecure posting ever since MMR was announced. do you expect to make a profit when you take your kids to Disney World?

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

well, that's one way to go about it but it's not the only way or necessarily the best for everyone. I prefer a firm delineation between business and pleasure. I work hard so that I can do whatever I want with my free time and spare cash.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Dude, to each there own. Hobby decisions usually are a product of someone's disposable income. Someone with less income is more worried about price. Those with Higher incomes and discipled savers/investors are more concerned with enjoyment. That's not 100% but high.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Wrong I dont care what the value of my machines are.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

do you expect to make a profit when you take your kids to Disney World?

Exactly. Pinball is a discretionary entertainment expense.

A pinball machine is a toy. An expensive one for sure, but still a toy.

If you can't afford to absorb a significant portion of what you spend on one as a loss, don't buy a pinball game in the first place. For all but a fraction of those interested in pinball, a pinball game is not an investment and anyone treating it as such really needs to get better investment advice.

What I have in my games is sunk money. Anything I get back is a bonus, not part of a financial plan.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That's right. And that's why I got into some pissing matches here on Pinside when the MMR announcement was made. Certain people on here were laughing of how original MM owners were going to lose money. They were called stupid or at least it was implied. Truly pathetic behavior. And some of those jokers are about to find out about losing.
And for the record I've never owned a MM.

I agree with what you say other than the enjoyment I get from the hobby. I do not have cable and never have. I know people that pay close to 200 and month for cable. I have a super cheap cell plan. I also do not eat out often. I say all of that to say I am in on MMR it is a big deal for me and the family to pay 8 K. We will get enjoyment from the machine though just like people get enjoyment from eating out or cable. I do not want to lose $ but the entire family loves playing pins and MMR is a fun pin to play so it is worth the risk for our family.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

In that case is anyone buying any pin now -- used or new -- in what appears to be a downward-trending market, an idiot? If you're buying as an investment I'll agree you're an idiot (but of course you were probably an idiot for investing in a "collectibles" market even when the pin market was hot). If you're buying as a hobbyist, you presumably didn't come in with a break-even mentality. If you expect to break even or make money in this (or pretty much any other) hobby, then you're probably up for disappointment. And you're probably an idiot.

#98 9 years ago

I'll probably not buy another pin from PPS . . . because they cheated me out of my COIN MECHS on MMr!!! I won't forget Rick's quick dismissal of the questioning that followed.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

for some (though not all) of the complainers.

Quoted from pezpunk:

do you expect to make a profit when you take your kids to Disney World?

I will give you credit, you do your damnedest to frame an argument in a way that can only benefit your belief or view.

So, people that think MMr is hurting the pin market are complainers? Pretty hard to challenge your stance when the debate is already slanted. If the premise isn't valid from the get go, everything following is challenged through a cracked prism.

Disneyland? Again, an unfair, slanted argument from the start. People know that the good or service disney provides is chiefly memories. Pinball machines are goods. A physical item you possess that can be sold or traded in the future. Up until recently, pinball was a collectable market with an economy of its own. That economy has been turned on its ear. That's what has some "complainers" voicing their concerns.

I'm not sure why your opinion of what the pinball landscape should be is the correct one and any dissenting opinion is not only wrong, but worthy of derision.

#100 9 years ago

I think it's the strangest thing ever that some people actually buy something for entertainment and worry about its resale value. It would be like me worrying what the value of the two quads and trailer I bought..., I couldn't give a shit what they are worth now or when I'm done with them, I bought them to enjoy. Or when I road bikes all the time, picking out a frame based on what I think it's value would be next week, instead of the hand built one I want, riding the piss out of it and never looking back. I'm not even that well off, I make a modest wage compared to probably most on here....

I am deffinatly in the an investment is separate from my toys camp, though I have known people that see everything they buy as an investment. These people usually jump from one thing to the next, usually what's hot at the time. Weird....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-mmr-be-one-and-done-for-chicago-gaming/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.