(Topic ID: 104928)

Could MMR be "one and done" for Chicago Gaming?

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Rocket_.jpg
wonderland.jpg
spaceship.jpg
platform.jpg
Buford.jpg
bubble.gif
IMAG5215.jpg
repro.jpeg
Keep up.jpg
sensitive.jpg
fired.jpg
dick.jpg
Popcorn.gif
gsm.jpg
pog.jpeg
2014-10-03-20-30-28--1598937576.jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

Ever since Expo last year, most of us have assumed that PPS was the driving force behind MMR, although Rick mentioned then and a number of times since that it is a Chicago Gaming product and that PPS is the licensee.

If indeed PPS isn't actually the driving force (e.g. they didn't hire CGC to build MMR), why should we assume there will be another WMS remake?

Are those of us that want to see another remake (AFM for me) waiting for something that may not have a reasonable chance of happening? If Rick/Matt/PPS aren't really in control of what gets remade, who are we relying on at CGC? Is it possible they don't have any intentions of doing a game after MMR?

Does anyone have any insight on CGC?

#2 4 years ago

If there are profits to be made, then deals will be done

#3 4 years ago

I kind of wonder if the market can support MMR, TWD, TBL and TH!?

Also Ebola. You can't count out Ebola.

#4 4 years ago

Rick has been pretty upfront that there's another title in the works.

#5 4 years ago

Yes but with these games coming out that from DP,JJP,HWP,STERN, SKITB,SPOOKY,JPOP There is now some SERIOUS competition.

I am lucky to own MM, AFM and would not sell them, but I would think twice about spending 8K on a remake what with all the technological innovation being shown and the quality of game builds getting better due to competition of new maufacturers.
Would people put their £€$ in to old games, yes with a small amount of innovation, but still not much IMO to warrant as much as a newly developed game.

The choice is becoming overwhelming and I'm on for 3 NIB in 2015 and thinking about it maybe I would sell my B/W games to make way for the new stuff because it's getting soooo good!

The market is being saturated with games that previously were keepers, partly because of remake rumour, but mostly I think because quality of new games coming out

#6 4 years ago

I think we are in a very different environment to just a year ago, Dutch pinball has shown that pinball can move forward and is making the 90's games look old. If JJP also makes a strong showing at Expo with the Hobbit I think remakes of old games at the same price point are going to be much less attractive.

#7 4 years ago

Plenty of fools out there that don't mind wasting their cash on 20 year old rehash so why stop at one?

I'm sure the next one will be ready to ship the 2nd quarter of 2015 so please… SEND MONEY NOW!

#8 4 years ago

The design/build quality will play a big part in the success (or failure) of CGC on this one. How much will the warranty be needed and serviced after games are delivered? The jury is still out on this one, IMO.

#9 4 years ago

They wouldnt have spent the money developing a new platform if they were only making one game.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

JPOP There is now some SERIOUS competition.

lol at this one. no games yet and no volume.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Plenty of fools out there that don't mind wasting their cash on 20 year old rehash so why stop at one?
I'm sure the next one will be ready to ship the 2nd quarter of 2015 so please… SEND MONEY NOW!

Uh oh, teekee's got a gun! S*#%'s about to get serious.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

How much did YOU fork over for your AFM and MM that ACTUALLY WERE 20 years old?
Is buying pump and dump "originals" for more money LESS foolish than buying a new "rehash" as you put it? A fool and his money are soon parted. I'd measure that by the extra fistfuls of cash you threw at essentially the same game.

#13 4 years ago

The hard work is done, the major investment has been made. They now have a "platform", the cost was recouped from a single release. There will be lots of "Williams Vault Editions" to come.

#14 4 years ago

If they keep making them I will buy everyone of them so i can have the whole remake collection with all matching le numbers.

#15 4 years ago

Yes, but not likely. They sold a lot of MMR, why stop now?

#16 4 years ago

I think game number two is already in the works and will eventually be announced. PPS will evaluate market interest based on that second game whether to go forward or not. And with the flood of new games and manufacturer's, I see retro manufacturing losing its steam.

My guess is two and done.

(Edit) I'm basing this on PPS continuing with the current $8000.00 price tag. If they lower their prices it could change everything. But it would have to be a substantial price reduction in my opinion.

#17 4 years ago

I am guessing that game number two will be announced at Expo.

#18 4 years ago

I'll turn this around: why gamble $$ on a new game that's a complete unknown, when for the same money you can have a timeless B/W classic? I love when people say these 90's games are "starting to look dated". That's like saying "From now on, I'm only dating women with 3 breasts." Don't get me wrong - 3 would be a lot of fun, but 2 is still plenty if they are the right 2.

I'm not a huge fan of MM or AFM, but if MB or TOTAN were redone I would have to seriously consider it.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think so, I think Rick was being truthful when he said in another thread he isn't announcing anything until it's 2 weeks from going into the factory.

So, I suspect a Spring announcement, and then maybe 2-3 a year.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

...and people will line up to buy it!

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from BackFlipper:

And then cancel in droves before it ships.

Seriously though, Rick's said a few times now that he doesn't intend to announce any other games until they're almost ready to be produced.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't think so, I think Rick was being truthful when he said in another thread he isn't announcing anything until it's 2 weeks from going into the factory.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Seriously though, Rick's said a few times now that he doesn't intend to announce any other games until they're almost ready to be produced.

I must have missed that. If that's what he's saying, I have no reason to doubt him.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

yes, I suppose the foolishness will probably continue... SEND MONEY NOW! Sell Number one NOW so you can get number 2! What are you guys waiting for????????????

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I'll admit that I was one of the lemmings who ordered MMr the day it was announced. I then backed out a short while later after thinking it over and coming to the conclusion that there was no upside to pre-ordering. You would think this means that I wised up to the whole pre-order scam. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I recently pre-ordered a TWD LE, so I guess I'll never learn.

#25 4 years ago

as long as they are $8k, doesnt matter to me, I wont buy any.

#26 4 years ago

why in the world wouldn't they make another? a handful of whiners on Pinside are not going to dissuade them from making millions of dollars.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'll turn this around: why gamble $$ on a new game that's a complete unknown, when for the same money you can have a timeless B/W classic? I love when people say these 90's games are "starting to look dated". That's like saying "From now on, I'm only dating women with 3 breasts." Don't get me wrong - 3 would be a lot of fun, but 2 is still plenty if they are the right 2.
I'm not a huge fan of MM or AFM, but if MB or TOTAN were redone I would have to seriously consider it.

Because it's not the same money. MM was a 5 figure resale that owners could count on for a long time and the price was kept out of reach from the "common man". There's MM owners who still think their game is worth more than 8k and that's generally what they list them for - still OVER 8k.

Now that the word of MMr came out, the price of MMs might be dropping to some degree. "Timeless B/W classic" descriptors are the words current MM owners are now using to keep MM prices from dipping BELOW MMr.

When MMr starts shipping, becomes owned and then THOSE machines go on the used market sometime afterwards is when I think they'll be an even larger market correction for MM.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

why in the world wouldn't they make another? a handful of whiners on Pinside are not going to dissuade them from making millions of dollars.

Absolutely! They should make as many as they can and profit as much as they can. Certainly nothing wrong with profit... unless of course you're one of those evil so-called flippers that might make a couple hundred bucks off of a game once in a while. Talk about whiners!

#29 4 years ago

well, at least PPS (and company) are building pinball machines. flippers don't create anything of value, other than price inflation. in a way, you have only yourself to blame for these $8,000 remakes, teekee.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

well, at least PPS (and company) are building pinball machines. flippers don't create anything of value, other than price inflation. in a way, you have only yourself to blame for these $8,000 remakes, teekee.

Lol, tell yourself that as you blindly send in another $8000 for (nothing of value) these remakes.
Whatever makes you feel better...

Guys are already losing $500 on these things before they even receive them... THANKS PPS, may I have another?

#31 4 years ago

i bought the game because i want to own and play it. my investment money goes elsewhere. i'm not worried about resale.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

flippers don't create anything of value, other than price inflation. in a way, you have only yourself to blame for these $8,000 remakes, teekee.

#33 4 years ago

I'm glad you're enjoying the Kool-Aid as well... did you send your money yet?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I'm glad you're enjoying the Kool-Aid as well

I enjoy someone telling it like it is, like punk just did.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I'm glad you're enjoying the Kool-Aid as well... did you send your money yet?

You're just mad cause the uncertainty eats into your profits. Same as with the new Stern VEs. The Tron owners are now scared because they're unsure if Stern will produce a new run and cause the price of their beloved game to lower. I don't know why think only elitists have the right to own a MM. Give everyone else a chance.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

You're just mad cause the uncertainty eats into your profits. Same as with the new Stern VEs. The Tron owners are now scared because they're unsure if Stern will produce a new run and cause the price of their beloved game to lower. I don't know why think only elitists have the right to own a MM. Give everyone else a chance.

Kool-aid.gif

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Evan55:

as long as they are $8k, doesnt matter to me, I wont buy any.

There will be used MMr some day

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Does anyone have any insight on CGC?

I think the most important thing about this whole deal is the CGC and Stern partnership. The new platform could emulate just about any game. With the production capabilities Stern could produce any game. Maybe new startups could use this platform (once it is proven) to cost effectively design new games. For CGC the MMR project was a viable way to launch the platform on a large scale. I think the future of this is totally in the hands of CGC.

#39 4 years ago

Teekee!...I love ya...but do you HAVE to post in these threads when you KNOW it will just turn into a shitshow...

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

And then cancel in droves before it ships.

smartest thing to do. While I am loosing interest in anything I have to pre order and wait a long time for, the earth still moves under our feet. Life changes. A lot of time for life to throw curve balls at you to change your buying position.

If your machine gets shipped withing 4 weeks of ordering, lot less chance of rethinking your buying position and opting out.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Teekee!...I love ya...but do you HAVE to post in these threads when you KNOW it will just turn into a shitshow...

YES, there are too many lost souls here that need my knowledge and guidance... I hate to see people learn the hard way.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

When MMr starts shipping, becomes owned and then THOSE machines go on the used market sometime afterwards is when I think they'll be an even larger market correction for MM.

You can tell yourself that now. The fact is whether MMr perform great or poorly won't change how the old games are viewed, they represent decades of engineering (WPC-95, Fliptronics flippers, etc) that has already proven itself. I think MM will hold up to this new challenger just fine.

Of course, with U.L. approval now into it's 6 month with MMr we really won't know until they actually start shipping. Next week...

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

YES, there are too many lost souls here that need my knowledge and guidance... I hate to see people learn the hard way.

Know what I like best about you? Your modesty

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

pps learned that people were willing to pay large amounts of money from flippers for 20 year old games. you are a great teacher teekee and pp$ is rich from your lessons. sometimes the student is better then the master

getting old.jpeg
#46 4 years ago
Quoted from vex:

you are a great teacher teekee

Nothing else needs to be said... most know this anyway but thanks for mentioning.

#47 4 years ago

I don't know who's more amusing, Clint, TeeKee or an empty chair. Empty chair certainly makes the most sense of the 3.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

There will be used MMr some day

With the recent preorder-spot-selling (some for a loss), we already have "secondhand" MMrs

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

You can tell yourself that now. The fact is whether MMr perform great or poorly won't change how the old games are viewed, they represent decades of engineering (WPC-95, Fliptronics flippers, etc) that has already proven itself. I think MM will hold up to this new challenger just fine.
Of course, with U.L. approval now into it's 6 month with MMr we really won't know until they actually start shipping. Next week...

I think collectors and desperate sellers are going to continue to view MMr as no comparison to MM no matter how well MMr is designed or plays...and some in that group will be desperate to convince buyers of that.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

You do know this isn't true, right?

"Flippers" are no more to blame for high prices than the actual buyers. If the price that Teekee or anyone else listed for a pin was too high, it wouldn't sell.

As far as not creating anything of value, people like Teekee offer a service in terms of finding very nice (often HUO or fully restored) pins that can be difficult to find. There are obviously people willing to pay for this service. That's the "value".

Just because you don't like it and you wouldn't pay for that service doesn't mean that many other people haven't, and will continue to do so.

So get over it already.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 10.95
$ 117.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 16.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside