Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kbliznick
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Since JJP has license to use any williams part, does that mean they could recreate any non-licensed Williams game if they wanted to?

I personally think it would be neat to see modern runs of some classics.

#2 11 years ago

Having the license to use parts is different than the license to remake a theme. Is it possible, yes, but they would have to buy the license.
    The question of why they would want to do it (or not) has been argued in several other posts.

#3 11 years ago

I doubt JJP has the rights to make games.

I doubt JJP would want to. Not the direction his company is looking. Neat or not.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Would be awesome but I doubt that we will see it happen

#5 11 years ago

I got another idea, how about new musicians just cover Beatle songs.

Seriously, the pin community is better served if the current pinball companies make pins that will be classic someday. Just make classic pins, and not remakes of classic pins.

#6 11 years ago

@Wolfmarsh--I had the very same idea, and I started a thread about it a few months ago.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-jjp-reproduce-a-list-bw-titles

I agree that it would seem like a easy way for JJP to make money, but I apparently am in the minority. Maybe I was misinterpreting some of what I read, but some of the responses I got seemed a little angry that I would have even brought up the idea.

#7 11 years ago

I doubt they need a license to use those parts. I can buy them freely off Marco or pinballlife and use them for whatever I want. No license there is required.

As or remaking old games from 1990, why? If you want an old game go buy it. I'd rather see them make new and original stuff that doesn't exist.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I doubt they need a license to use those parts. I can buy them freely off Marco or pinballlife and use them for whatever I want. No license there is required.

You aren't using those parts for commercial use/profit. That is why they are doing it through Bay Area the Williams license holder.

LTG

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

I agree that it would seem like a easy way for JJP to make money,

Times are tough. If classics could be remade and money made, somebody would be doing it.

Since nobody is, then likely there isn't money to be made.

LTG

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I doubt they need a license to use those parts.

Most likely right. Probably a purchase order agreement or something. Its not like he is actually making the parts.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Since nobody is, then likely there isn't money to be made.

What spurred me thinking about it was seeing some posts about the high earning arcade games like crane games, and how much better they earn than pinball games.

I'm sure there is some knowledge around which pins were the best earners, and there is really no guarantee that a new pin would earn better than those would if they were rebuilt with modern tech, or is there?

#12 11 years ago

They all always have potential. I really hate the fact that route operators hands are forced by the way of redemption games. I really dislike ticket games for so many reasons. I think old games even the route monsters eventually will get old. You still have to rotate locations or even the greats will get stale. New machines have just as much chance at success as the old ones do. Only people have not played them for 20+years already.

I like the idea or at least for parts availability of older classic games.

I too want new and exciting stuff. New tech and new designs.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I really hate the fact that route operators hands are forced by the way of redemption games. I really dislike ticket games for so many reasons.

Yeah. It's just awful that there is something left out there that they can actually make money on.

LTG

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I got another idea, how about new musicians just cover Beatle songs.
    Seriously, the pin community is better served if the current pinball companies make pins that will be classic someday. Just make classic pins, and not remakes of classic pins.

Make new classics, and don't remake old classics? I like this idea...now if only Hollywood would follow suit.

#15 11 years ago

Do I need to explain?

#16 11 years ago

I doubt if it would make sense to remake classic B/W A-titles of which are plenty around. It would make more sense to me to do run of a prototype game like Pinball Circus on JJP hardware. Same goes for Capcom's Kingpin. Those designs are ready to go. It would keep the factory running while developing other themes (not doubting the factory will be running WoZ for quite some time).

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

It would make more sense to me to do run of a prototype game like Pinball Circus on JJP hardware. Same goes for Capcom's Kingpin. Those designs are ready to go. It would keep the factory running while developing other themes

agreed.. if your going to re-run an existing pin, at least choose one that never got a chance. I personally think it would be a LOT of work to recreate one (unless you could ask for the original playfield artwork, cabinet artwork, layouts, board layout gerber files, etc etc). I still think it's a better idea to license an existing concept and make a sequel. Would love a MM sequel, or black knight, or elvira..

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I doubt if it would make sense to remake classic B/W A-titles of which are plenty around. It would make more sense to me to do run of a prototype game like Pinball Circus on JJP hardware. Same goes for Capcom's Kingpin. Those designs are ready to go. It would keep the factory running while developing other themes (not doubting the factory will be running WoZ for quite some time).

Agree. Your not going to make a lot of a title that has already been made. You don't see thousands of BBB for sale.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You aren't using those parts for commercial use/profit. That is why they are doing it through Bay Area the Williams license holder.
    LTG

Actually, they dont know whether or not I'm using them for commercial use / profit when they sell them to me. Lots of folks are route operators and definitely are using those parts for commercial use / profit. There's no licensing agreement. I simply add them to my cart and checkout. I also didn't agree to use them in any sort of pinball machine. Perhaps I use them as door stops, or we play catch with them outside. The parts are simply sold, with no strings attached, to anyone.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Actually, they dont know whether or not I'm using them for commercial use / profit when they sell them to me. Lots of folks are route operators and definitely are using those parts for commercial use / profit. There's no licensing agreement. I simply add them to my cart and checkout. I also didn't agree to use them in any sort of pinball machine. Perhaps I use them as door stops, or we play catch with them outside. The parts are simply sold, with no strings attached, to anyone.

Yeah right, everybody turns stupid when you order 16,000 coils and advertise games for sale and your door stops are in each game.

LTG

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Would love a MM sequel, or black knight, or Elvira..

how about a Centaur III? On the other hand: Stern obviously copied the Eightball Deluxe layout on Sharkey's Shootout and that didn't help them much... Then again, no Stern game at that time did...

#22 11 years ago

God, I hope not.

I think it's time to move forward in terms of design, gameplay and overall quality.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

God, I hope not.
    I think it's time to move forward in terms of design, gameplay and overall quality.

Mike I am so glad you said that.

#24 11 years ago

I would like to see something like a "Son of Pin.bot" or "Gorgar's Revenge", something like that. I think it'll be cool.

#25 11 years ago

I had thought about this and my thoughts were that JJP could alternate new game production with remakes of classics like MM, AFM, WW, etc. There is a definite collectors market for these classic titles and there aren't any engineering/design/development costs for these games, just the production costs. This would allow JJP's design team additional time to develop new games and would provide some financial stability.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I had thought about this and my thoughts were that JJP could alternate new game production with remakes of classics like MM, AFM, WW, etc. There is a definite collectors market for these classic titles and there aren't any engineering/design/development costs for these games, just the production costs. This would allow JJP's design team additional time to develop new games and would provide some financial stability.

that would be awesome.I would be waiting for these titles cash in hand.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from sylvan_glade:

that would be awesome.I would be waiting for these titles cash in hand.

You'll have a long wait.

LTG

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I doubt JJP has the rights to make games.
    I doubt JJP would want to. Not the direction his company is looking. Neat or not.
    LTG

Strangely I had somebody during the weekend try convince me that JJP #2 is going to be a B/W remake

Cannot see it happening

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Strangely I had somebody during the weekend try convince me that JJP #2 is going to be a B/W remake

Cannot see it happening

It could happen. In an alternate universe.

LTG

#30 11 years ago

I think it would make a lot sense for JJP to make repro Bally/Williams playfields. They have this new direct printing process and they might as well take advantage of it and make some extra money on older games. All they need is to image the playfield and cut the wood and it should be a lot easier than silk screening.

#31 11 years ago

I personally would want to see new pinballs being made and not reproductions of games that already exist. I do like what Gene Cunningham did with BBB. If he was to build games that never made it into production or had a run of 10 then I think there would be interest.

2 years later
    #32 9 years ago

It was funny reading this thread a couple years later.

#33 9 years ago

I was 99% sure that it was going to happen, but PPS went with CGC instead. I think if JJP had gotten their factory ready sooner with less delays/issues it would have happened.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-jjp-remake-williams-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.