(Topic ID: 162514)

could it be ... more em mod blasphemy!?!?

By manitouguy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

RonBuccAnimated.gif
Ship_Ahoy_Spinner_(resized).png
rear_(resized).JPG
front_(resized).jpg
bucc_decals_(resized).jpg
bucc_tests_(resized).jpg
bucc_back_glass_bones_(resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

well ... as some might notice ... I am posting to some threads (ahem) that I left un-updated over a year ago - life often steals my 'pinball time' (or I too easily let it!) but I am back trying to finish a number of long overdue projects

here is another that I have wanted to explore for some time

I LOVE my buccaneer!!! and it is a beauty but for some reason it has a surfer spinner and as we all know the bucc ones are like hens teeth ...

I may reproduce with my vinyl decal process the original, but I wanted to take up the challenge to see if I could do up some art, as with all my em 'mods' or 'protector decals' etc to see if I could do one that looked like it belonged 'back in the day'

I always loved the skull and crossbones on the back glass and so wanted to use that as inspiration for my spinner mod idea - and having two young girls - was hoping I could make it work in pink ...

I took a photo and then redrew in Adobe Illustrator, and as with some of my other exercises ... went well overboard trying different color combos and adjustments - a bit laborious but I think it works and ends in good results .. sorry trees ! and yes I taped many on the spinner on playfield and gave them a spin too

I got down to a few choices that I thought worked well with the playfield color scheme, particularly where the spinner lives ... and tried to use a few colors, and the 'offset printing' look with a bit of mis-registration like it might occur back in the day

also tried to get some neat animation - my buddy took a look at some tests and wisely advised I 'delete' the skull portion on the back side so when it spins it 'reads' clearer - and it did!

at any rate let me know what you think

here are some images (and I will try to post a simple video of it in action too)

cheers, Ron

bucc_back_glass_bones_(resized).JPG

bucc_tests_(resized).jpg

bucc_decals_(resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

suggestions please on how to add a small video link? no clue on what to do there

thanks in advance

#3 2 years ago

till I can figure out the vid upload ... here is a photo of the scheme on 'left' just above ... intent is for the darker blue to match that nearby on playfield - with the red 'explosion' on rear to obviously match the red too and add a bit of excitement when you hit the spinner - such a fun shot

front_(resized).jpg

rear_(resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago

Looks good, I have the original spinner flag but it is getting tired . I would go with the redone myself...

Looking good
Brian

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

... at any rate let me know what you think

Blasphemer! Repent before it's too late and you start using different colored rubbers too!

(nice work though)

#6 2 years ago

Very nicely done! Your design looks better than the original, especially when the target is stationary.

If any purists need the original artwork, I have it on file.

Spinner Artwork

#7 2 years ago

Just bumping to see if anyone can advise on how to post a small video clip and what file format too?

Thanks for the comments guys - I hadn't seen an original 'correct' spinner in person and must have subliminally recalled an image of one from long ago ... Or coincidence I ended up choosing the same 3 colours lol

Being a stickler ... I'm going to add my version of fake part number R-16439 too

Cheers Ron

#8 2 years ago

post to youtube and link to here...

#9 2 years ago

Shouldn't the sticker on the back of spinner be upside-down when viewed from the back? So when it is spinning the front side shows right side up.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Shouldn't the sticker on the back of spinner be upside-down when viewed from the back? So when it is spinning the front side shows right side up.

It should, and it is!

#11 2 years ago

very cool!!!!

#12 2 years ago

Looks great. I have a friend with a Buccaneer and I know he'd love that mod. Are you going to print extra for sale?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Just bumping to see if anyone can advise on how to post a small video clip...

I was getting impatient for you to...

Quoted from pinhead52:

...post to youtube and link to here...

Ha-ha!

So, I went ahead and made an animated gif to simulate what it might look like.

RonBuccAnimated.gif

Pretty great, Ron!

#14 2 years ago

Wooooo that is cool!!!
Thanks !

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

It should, and it is!

The picture #2 in post #3 looks right side up and from the back.

Edit: OK, sorry, from your original picture it is right. I thought the "flares" would go up and the gap would be where the neck is.

#16 2 years ago

I did some experimenting along these lines on my Ship Ahoy spinner. Tried to do a pirate girl. Problem is, you need to keep the graphics as large, colourful and contrasty as possible (like the one shown). Could not really see the pirate girl when playing.
Don C.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Deadpool Premium Out of stock
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
€ 279.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
$ 1,000.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside