(Topic ID: 265186)

Could Hotwheels become a rare collectible?

By phil-lee

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by adol75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

In the Antique / Collectable Market many things become valuable simply because of rarity, many do not. With the unfortunate timing of this release is this Pin doomed, will it have a short run and could it be a sleeper collectable in the making?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

In the Antique / Collectable Market many things become valuable simply because of rarity, many do not. With the unfortunate timing of this release is this Pin doomed, will it have a short run and could it be a sleeper collectable in the making?

Sure if you want to wait 10-20 yrs.

#3 4 years ago

Only if the production run is cut short and the game turns out to be a really good game. Lots of games that are produced in low numbers aren't necessarily fun players - yes, they're rare, but rare != valuable to a lot of collectors of pins if it's no fun to play. (Look at Big Bang Bar just as one example - fun player, they didn't go past the sample run, the remakes came out and were arguably better, still fun player=pretty high price tag.)

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Only if the production run is cut short and the game turns out to be a really good game. Lots of games that are produced in low numbers aren't necessarily fun players - yes, they're rare, but rare != valuable to a lot of collectors of pins if it's no fun to play. (Look at Big Bang Bar just as one example - fun player, they didn't go past the sample run, the remakes came out and were arguably better, still fun player=pretty high price tag.)

Or the other option is it never makes it to production and only the samples are left.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

With the unfortunate timing of this release is this Pin doomed, will it have a short run

My own opinion. I don't think it will be a short run. And quite the opposite.

While all the manufacturers may have a part supply issue to move forward. American Pinball looks to have the first new game release when things start getting back to normal.

And after the delays and drought of new titles. People are ready to get a new pin. If they get Hot Wheels going, and shipping, before any other manufacturer releases a new pin. They may well benefit from the delay.

I'm not thinking Spooky in this, as their game was pre sold.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

Only if you leave it in the package.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

My own opinion. I don't think it will be a short run. And quite the opposite.
While all the manufacturers may have a part supply issue to move forward. American Pinball looks to have the first new game release when things start getting back to normal.
And after the delays and drought of new titles. People are ready to get a new pin. If they get Hot Wheels going, and shipping, before any other manufacturer releases a new pin. They may well benefit from the delay.
I'm not thinking Spooky in this, as their game was pre sold.

Wise words from our sage of pinball.
In my opinion.

#8 4 years ago

I'm gonna get one of these and sit on it for sure. My NIB Rob Zombie will surely put one of my kids thru college, HW will do the same for the other one...or if that doesn't work out they can take over the family still.

#9 4 years ago

When the dust settles, it might be only a handful of unaffected people looking to buy $6000 and up new pinball machines. A lot of people will be trying to pay all the bills that have piled up for some time.

If Hot Wheels is their thing, that is one they might be buying. Can't say we will be seeing the value of any of these go up for some time. Money just isn't going to be what it was and readily available like it was six months ago no matter how much they print.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

My NIB Rob Zombie will surely put one of my kids thru college,

I wouldn't plan on that. Great IF it works out.

I remember all the new collectors buying Lionel trains in the 1970's. Two of each. One to use and one to retire on. That back fired. You can't give those away now. The money would have been better somewhere else earning interest.

#11 4 years ago

I heard some people thought they could retire on Beanie Babies. Never saw the allure of that investment.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I heard some people thought they could retire on Beanie Babies. Never saw the allure of that investment.

When the $5 ones were selling for hundreds. People thought it would continue. The economy crash in the mid 2000's doomed collectibles.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The economy crash in the mid 2000's doomed collectibles.

I must have missed that one.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Only if you leave it in the package.

And have it graded and sealed in plastic!

#15 4 years ago

Is Mafia, Cosmic Carnival, or Thunderbirds going to become a rare collectible? Rarity doesn't necessarily correlate with desirability/collectibility.

Does anyone actually really want or have plans to own a Hot Wheels? Seems like there are just so many better options in the pinball market right now and in the near future.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Seems like there are just so many better options in the pinball market right now and in the near future.

With all the factories shut down now until who knows when, that might be a more far off future. And whatever distributors have sitting in their warehouses right now, might be sitting there for some time too.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Does anyone actually really want or have plans to own a Hot Wheels?

Being my closed getting extended, probably doomed my thinking/plans. At least right now. The extension to closed has me more in the mid 2000's thinking, when the economy tanked, then I got hit with the no smoking. I went from hopes, dreams, plans. To just getting through to tomorrow, while everything was falling apart.

The thought had occurred to me. That having a new game here when I can reopen. Might get customers returning again.

I'm pretty sure there will be people or locations getting them. American Pinball has it's followers just like the other manufacturers.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Being my closed getting extended, probably doomed my thinking/plans. At least right now.

Do you own the building your arcade is in or rent it?

Reason I ask is escrow just closed on the property my job is on and there is no way when this gets back to normal the new owner will keep rents down like my bosses father in law did for 40 years. The writing was on the wall before coronavirus shut us down.

As far as I know, they may mow the property down and turn it into a strip club.

I'm trying to adapt to this not going to work thing, and I think I am starting to adapt very well.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do you own the building your arcade is in or rent it?

Rent.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Rent.

Ouch.

Well I hope your landlord is a reasonable person and I have to imagine your rent is a lot less than a similar sized building around here.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ouch.
Well I hope your landlord is a reasonable person and I have to imagine your rent is a lot less than a similar sized building around here.

Fair thought but another thought as things start to open is my Guess there won’t be many new start up companies or expanding businesses knocking his door down to rent Lloyd’s place of 30 ish years. LTG has been a loyal, paying, reliable renter. (Bird in hand) I highly doubt the renter will gamble those years of reliability to a new coffee house start up with a 10% chance of making it through the year in his small strip mall. Just my opinion.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Fair thought but another thought as things start to open is my Guess there won’t be many new start up companies or expanding businesses knocking his door down to rent Lloyd’s place of 30 ish years.

True. As my work property closed escrow I thought what amazing timing my bosses father in law had after owning it for almost 50 years. There were other factors as Ernie is well into his 80s and doesn't get around so well anymore, and his wife and his trustworthy handyman both passed away recently.

But yeah, who's going to be looking to start up a new business and take on a big lease anytime soon? That is for the new property owner to think about and consider strongly before he jacks up anybody's rent.

I saw them do that with another center before the last crash, and the supermarket sat empty there for almost ten years. As did most of the properties there. That'll learn them!

#23 4 years ago

How is the pin doomed from the unfortunate timing? They got it out to a show and filmed before the world shut down. All those games that were to be unveiled at Texas might be doomed. There just sitting in a warehouse and no one knows about them. At least this has several months of marketing going on with no competition.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

How is the pin doomed from the unfortunate timing?

Well, if they have not made many yet, it might be quite a while before and if any more do get made.

And even much longer before at least the average pinball buyer has the money or even the thought of buying another brand new machine.

Coronavirus called, and the world has answered.

1 month later
#25 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is Mafia, Cosmic Carnival, or Thunderbirds going to become a rare collectible? Rarity doesn't necessarily correlate with desirability/collectibility.
Does anyone actually really want or have plans to own a Hot Wheels? Seems like there are just so many better options in the pinball market right now and in the near future.

If i buy nib when thing puck back up i will go with Hot Wheels. I personally think jack has come out with some of the worst themes in the history of pinball. I wouldn't touch a nib stern machine between cabinets falling apart, ghosting inserts, playfield craters, pooling and chips and everything else. Also, my kids are big into hot wheels right now, so it just seems like a good fit.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, if they have not made many yet, it might be quite a while before and if any more do get made.

What is the inventory level for Hot Wheels? This is an interesting situation happening right before our eyes.
I still believe it will be an Historical Rarity.

#27 3 years ago

I still have my original hot wheels cars and cases

#28 3 years ago

Darn if I kept my Nes games sealed and didn't play them when my parents offered them to me for Christmas !

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Darn if I kept my Nes games sealed and didn't play them when my parents offered them to me for Christmas !

I still have many of my Nintendo boxes for the games I owe, heard that makes it worth more, not sure how.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I still have many of my Nintendo boxes for the games I owe, heard that makes it worth more, not sure how.

The boxes add a bit of value but not much. What's makes an old game really valuable nowadays is when it's still sealed and wrapped as if it just came out from the store. Since most of them where opened and played needless to say it's quite rare.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Munroe Falls, OH
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-hotwheels-become-a-rare-collectible?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.