(Topic ID: 168570)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns WORST pin ever?

By CaptainNeo

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“could ghostbusters be the Worst Pin ever?”

• Street fighter 2 is a raging piece of crap 39 votes
    20%
  • Xfiles is the worst game to grace the orange dot 11 votes
    6%
  • both sf2 and xfiles should be used as a cat box 48 votes
    25%
  • lionman 95 votes
    49%

(193 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lp7dtwHXfm1qe8a0fo1_250.gif
2397-Stiller-SimpleJack (resized).jpg
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
T2eC16hHJIIE9qTYMbBiBRV30vm58Q_60_1_08a6d2d8-5961-4139-a94f-a79c0af3422a_large (resized).jpeg
a65f8399c7a9443db665086a8413557b152028ca9253fc094dd6962cd640710f (resized).jpg
worst ever (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
6903-spaceballs_61 (resized).jpg

There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so you're willing to pay 1k for any gottlieb system 3 DMD that's working huh.

Seriously. Where was this guy when I couldn't give away a nice, working Waterworld for $900 here, for like a month? (ended up selling it elsewhere)

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

X files is a decent game, its got great soundtrack,although poor callouts quality, challenging but really satisfying ramp shots, lots of modes, awesome arpeggiator sounds when in super pops, two multiballs which are quite different from eachother.

Agree, X-Files is great fun. I've never had anyone play a few games on mine and go away with a negative attitude. I'm going to conclude the hate is from those that don't really know the game. Even you seem to have forgotten or missed that there's 2-ball, 3-ball, and 4-ball multi-ball. I won't elucidate on other great features in this game, as I enjoy finding these for cheap and trading up in value with those who try it.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm going to conclude the hate is from those that don't really know the game.

Let's look at in context. Back in 1997, Premier finally tapped out with Barbed Wire (Ugh), as did Capcom with Flipper Football (Bleh), leaving WMS and Sega as the last standing.

WMS has just released Medieval Madness, followed by Cirqus Voltaire (Meh). Sega had released Star Wars Trilogy (Ehh), and followed up with X-Files (Blarg).

All Sega games at the time looked like crap, sounded worse, and played clunky when compared to the WMS games sitting beside them, and it didn't get any better after they got super dirty from the black rubber and half the lamps were out.

I played a brand new X-Files for league and even out of the box the file cabinet didn't work. I guess the ramps looped nicely but overall it was really bland and uninteresting. That's in an actual arcade with an MM sitting beside it, which was always busy. No one played X-Files.

Maybe in your basement it might seem okay with no competition, but if you play any other game the flaws are glaring. God, the sound alone makes me want to stick a screwdriver in my ear.

#104 7 years ago

Being able to play and understand it, has something to do with it sometimes. But multiballs cannot save a game from horrible layout, boring layout, boring toy, horrible art package and sleeper call outs. ID4 has multiballs up the ass too, but suffers from the same crap Xfiles does. It's also a horrible game. I love playing it in tournament and league because I can blow it up, but it's a shitty game as well.

As for waterworld. It's true. these guys say this shit is worth so much, yet when you are selling, they avoid those threads like the plague, because they like to talk a big game, and don't buy shit. Lets see those wallets come out for $1000, when the waterworlds, freddy's, SF2, Tee'd off, rescue 911's all come out of the wood work. Fully working players conditions. I think all you will see is crickets.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Let's look at in context. Back in 1997, Premier finally tapped out with Barbed Wire (Ugh), as did Capcom with Flipper Football (Bleh), leaving WMS and Sega as the last standing.
WMS has just released Medieval Madness, followed by Cirqus Voltaire (Meh). Sega had released Star Wars Trilogy (Ehh), and followed up with X-Files (Blarg).
All Sega games at the time looked like crap, sounded worse, and played clunky when compared to the WMS games sitting beside them, and it didn't get any better after they got super dirty from the black rubber and half the lamps were out.
I played a brand new X-Files for league and even out of the box the file cabinet didn't work.

None of that means much, my X-Files has white rubber, LEDs, and File Cabinet that works great. In fact, the same was true for the other instance of X-Files I had before I traded it. It's not difficult to improve the sound, just adding a second speaker will get you part way there. Other info in the X-Files club thread...

Maybe in your basement it might seem okay with no competition, but if you play any other game the flaws are glaring.

Ohhhh, so clever. But we all know the reason you don't like X-Files is you're not good enough to make the ramp shots, and play long enough to enjoy the variety of features and modes available. Try playing with the glass off, you need some help.

Seriously though, I can understand some hating the type of tones X-Files uses. Personally I enjoy some of those bright tings and tangs, but maybe the improved backbox speakers I installed help clear them up.

Back to the tongue-in-cheek nature of this thread, not to get overly serious about X-Files, I just wanted to give it my props, I like the game...

#106 7 years ago

SFII is fun and challenging. Yeah its stop go but not every pin flows for days. Guile shot is one of the toughest shots in pinball. Chun Li ramp is fun to hit and time to get passed her rotating flipper. I think its a great game to work on your aim and making your shots and keeping control of the ball. Its def not a great game but i think its far from worse, one of the better system 3's imo

have you played Cue Ball Wizard?! now that thing sucks.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Being able to play and understand it, has something to do with it sometimes. But multiballs cannot save a game from horrible layout, boring layout, boring toy, horrible art package and sleeper call outs. ID4 has multiballs up the ass too, but suffers from the same crap Xfiles does. It's also a horrible game. I love playing it in tournament and league because I can blow it up, but it's a shitty game as well.
As for waterworld. It's true. these guys say this shit is worth so much, yet when you are selling, they avoid those threads like the plague, because they like to talk a big game, and don't buy shit. Lets see those wallets come out for $1000, when the waterworlds, freddy's, SF2, Tee'd off, rescue 911's all come out of the wood work. Fully working players conditions. I think all you will see is crickets.

Within a reasonable driving distance of Cedar Rapids Iowa, I have $1000 cash in hand for a nice, decently shopped Waterworld with no playfield wear between the flippers, DMD fully working, plays correctly, good cabinet, and ship optos functioning correctly. Shoot me a private email and let's close the deal.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

But we all know the reason you don't like X-Files is you're not good enough to make the ramp shots, and play long enough to enjoy the variety of features and modes available.

Even ignoring my personal opinion, having played the game extensively when it was new and at shows over the years, the ultimate judgement call is the market, and the market has spoken loud and clear:

X-Files is a worthless piece of shit.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

have you played Cue Ball Wizard?! now that thing sucks.

you need to stop over and play my brothers the next time I am out. It is actually a solid game with some fun strategies when playing in a group.

(solo it can get broing if all you are doing is shooting for the wiard mode.)

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

Within a reasonable driving distance of Cedar Rapids Iowa, I have $1000 cash in hand for a nice, decently shopped Waterworld with no playfield wear between the flippers, DMD fully working, plays correctly, good cabinet, and ship optos functioning correctly. Shoot me a private email and let's close the deal.

About 4 years ago, Dennis Hopper's OWN personal HUO Waterworld sold via Christie's auction for $1,300, or about $7,000 less than the leather chair next to it. I can't vouch for the flipper wear but you gotta think it was pretty nice.

This is not a game anybody wants.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

you will not find a system 3 that doesn't have playfield wear. Now your asking for a restored piece. Restored pieces get double or triple market value. That's not the games we are talking about here. We are talking about your average, pulled out of a home that hasn't been turned on in 10 years, routed typical players game. Working, but needs tweeking. Maybe some cabinet graining, some wear somewhere. saucer holes probably chewed up good. That's the $700-800 waterworlds we are talking about. Not some exceptional condition machine that manage to sneak through the past 2 decades with barely 500 plays on it.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you will not find a system 3 that doesn't have playfield wear. Now your asking for a restored piece. Restored pieces get double or triple market value. That's not the games we are talking about here. We are talking about your average, pulled out of a home that hasn't been turned on in 10 years, routed typical players game. Working, but needs tweeking. Maybe some cabinet graining, some wear somewhere. saucer holes probably chewed up good. That's the $700-800 waterworlds we are talking about. Not some exceptional condition machine that manage to sneak through the past 2 decades with barely 500 plays on it.

For real. They ALL have flipper wear, due to the puzzling lack of mylar right between the flippers, and the defective soft pinballs Premier was shipping games with the save like 8 cents a game. How they kept going till 1996 is a total mystery.

#113 7 years ago

I call it X Pile. I cast my vote accordingly.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you need to stop over and play my brothers the next time I am out. It is actually a solid game with some fun strategies when playing in a group.
(solo it can get broing if all you are doing is shooting for the wiard mode.)

I'll take ya up on that.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

It's funny to see people bashing a pin that they don't even own.

tumblr_lp7dtwHXfm1qe8a0fo1_250.giftumblr_lp7dtwHXfm1qe8a0fo1_250.gif

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Whatever Neo.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

About 4 years ago, Dennis Hopper's OWN personal HUO Waterworld sold via Christie's auction for $1,300, or about $7,000 less than the leather chair next to it. I can't vouch for the flipper wear but you gotta think it was pretty nice.
This is not a game anybody wants.

Yes, I remember that sale and the price. In your mind in might be a game nobody wants, but I in fact do.

And in response to Neo, I have sold 3 Waterworlds over the past 10 years and 2 of them had no playfield wear and were exceptional condition.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

Yes, I remember that sale and the price. In your mind in might be a game nobody wants, but I in fact do.
And in response to Neo, I have sold 3 Waterworlds over the past 10 years and 2 of them had no playfield wear and were exceptional condition.

and they still sat for months with a price tag over $1200.

and for the record. I don't hate waterworld at all. I think the layout and toy is great. Just seriously lacking in the rules department. It's not about liking the game or not, it's about being realistic about the value of it.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

me want to stick a screwdriver in my ear.

NO! Don't!!!

#120 7 years ago

Seriously, I'll be at Expo Wed-Sun with a trailer...Bring me those Gottliebs under $1k

#121 7 years ago

do the leg work. If you want stuff reasonable, you have to put in the time and effort to find them. They don't fall in your lap and get delivered to you. That's the difference of people that know how to find stuff reasonable, and others that overpay because they don't want to.

#122 7 years ago

This thread is almost not worth dignifying because it doesn't make any sense.

GB is a great game. Perfect? No, but it's great. I'm curious how many people that knock it or think it sucks have actually experienced all the modes? Beaten it? Is it too hard and that's why it's the worst? lol

#123 7 years ago

Waterworld truly is a terrible game. Good for noobs or zombies? maybe, maybe not.

#124 7 years ago

It started as a joke!

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It started as a joke!

oh, well, then that makes sense. Waterworld is a joke

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

This thread is almost not worth dignifying because it doesn't make any sense.
GB is a great game. Perfect? No, but it's great. I'm curious how many people that knock it or think it sucks have actually experienced all the modes? Beaten it? Is it too hard and that's why it's the worst? lol

you had to see the thread titled, Could Ghostbusters be the best pin ever made thread to truly understand

#128 7 years ago

Gilligans Island is pretty shitty too.

Shoot the rope for 250,000. The coconuts for 300,000. hell, shoot anything on the playfield and it's a couple hundred thousand point shot.

Shoot Kona for 50 million. Makes sense.

#129 7 years ago

To the original topic. I'd say Transformers is worse. Much worse.

#130 7 years ago

When I have friends over they spit on GB and then move onto my classic Bally / williams games which they love and play for hours.
Worst modern Stern game ever!

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

To the original topic. I'd say Transformers is worse. Much worse.

Oh yeah, there's one at Cabin Fever we're playing in league. What a turd sandwich that game is.

#132 7 years ago

No mention of Vacation America?

Would play an X-Files, Street Fighter 2, or Water World over that turd any day.

#133 7 years ago

I sold my piece of trash gb so i could send the $ to American Pinball sight unseen.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from ArseFez:

No mention of Vacation America?
Would play an X-Files, Street Fighter 2, or Water World over that turd any day.

Rare game most everyone has never played so woukdn;t get mentioned much.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

When I have friends over they spit on GB and then move onto my classic Bally / williams games which they love and play for hours.

This is simply not true.... You don't have any friends.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Your friends are not very intelligent? Or maybe you have none.

Hard to believe they can be that dumb?

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Your friends are not very intelligent? Or maybe you have none.
Hard to believe they can be that dumb?

haha totally true. I heard one of them was so stupid they rated Tron a 5.187 Can you fucking believe it?

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yep , I'd like to see shorter ones instead of skipping them though .

There is an option to shorten all of the cut scenes in the menus. It is called something slightly odd like "Abbreviated Choreography"

#139 7 years ago

is that what that is? Would be nice if the manual actually explained what settings actually do. Even zaccaria manuals do that.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I sold my piece of trash gb so i could send the $ to American Pinball sight unseen.

You also a few years ago, told me and a well know friend within the community that a Monday Night Football pin you were selling was ours, and then sold it out from under us an hour later.

Welcome back.

#141 7 years ago

One of the Worst Threads Ever!

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Oh yeah, there's one at Cabin Fever we're playing in league. What a turd sandwich that game is.

Its a great game.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

There is an option to shorten all of the cut scenes in the menus. It is called something slightly odd like "Abbreviated Choreography"

Well then this game just got better .

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

You also a few years ago, told me and a well know friend within the community that a Monday Night Football pin you were selling was ours, and then sold it out from under us an hour later.
Welcome back.

Thanks. It was an incredible deal and there were a lot of offers. Sorry you're still vexxed after all these years.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Thanks. It was an incredible deal and there were a lot of offers. Sorry you're still vexxed after all these years.

I wouldn't call it ''vexed'', just didn't forget it.

1 week later
#146 7 years ago

Now that the new code it out and it's littered with lots of bugs, could Ghostbusters be the worst Stern out there?

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Now that the new code it out and it's littered with lots of bugs, could Ghostbusters be the worst Stern out there?

You haven't played The Rolling Stones have you?

#148 7 years ago

By Lionman, do you mean swords of fury? Sweet game. Ghostbusters is also sweet. Shame on all of you!

#150 7 years ago

SF2 is Gottlieb.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 155 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-worst-pin-ever/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.