(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes its a real question. Tell me 10 pins that are better please.

Here's 100 pins that are better.

rd

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But admittedly a beat up Stern Stars might not look as impressive in a finished suburban basement as a brand new GBLE. It's about 20X more fun to play though.

Stern Stars is about as much fun as you can have playing pinball with your buddies.

For an outlay of $500-$1000 bucks.

More proof that you do not need to blow $8000 USD to have fun with pinball.

There. I said it. Booooom.

rd

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You and RD both need to put the crack pipe down. I don't know WTF you guys are thinking

Icey, Icey, Icey.

You need to come under your old mate RDs wing, and let the pinball zen course through your veins ...

One night in either my place, Nimblenuts place, odins place, or Levis place would get you singing our tune!

A bottle of Jack, two dozen Modelos, and a pin with 30 second ball times = PARTY TIME!!!

rd

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As long as i don't end up crashing through the screen door! Sounds awesome.

See, with the $7000 left over from buying a mint Stars instead of GBLE, you can repair the screen door 100s of times!!

Win win win!!

rd

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Don't touch the door, Don't touch the door, Don't the door, Hon't t door, hont door, hondoor, Hodoor, Hodor, Hodor!!!
Hodor!

Poor old Hodor! Spent his whole life waiting to hold the door for the Stark kid. Hold Door!!!

rd

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Now that is what I'm talking about!. Jpop was a bad chapter in my life. I'll drink, laugh, and have a lot of fun with you Cali M f'ers

We haven't told you yet, but a week before 2017 Texas Pinball Festival, we are all showing up at your place to play your pins and drink your beer.

If you're not going to be around, just pop the key under the mat. We will try and be tidy ... Well, tidy-ish ...

rd

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's really indisputable that's Stars is better than GB
Stars is absolutely addictive - you always feel like you can do a little better, blow it open. You keep coming back. It virtually impossible to play only 2 or 3 games of stars. It's incredibly easy to end up in an hour-long stars jail.
GB doesn't have this. You never feel like you will do better. Yeah, eventually you have a good game but there's no sense of accomplishment - you just feel like you got really lucky.
I saw two people walk away in disgust from ghostbusters today, after playing it several times.
Nobody ever walks away in disgust from Stars because it's such an awesome game. When it kicks your ass you don't feel cheated.
Also, I've never seen a stars with ghosting. The gble I saw today that was built in August 24 has ghosting on the Tobin insert.
So I think we can all agree that stars is better than ghostbusters, which clearly means ghostbusters can't be the best game ever.

How do you up vote a post more than once?

This is it in a nutshell.

And it's not just Stars. It could be one of twenty of that sort of game.

Danni and I pretty much play these sort of pins exclusively, when we are playing together. I'll play the modern games by myself, but to be totally honest, being player two when I am getting 2 billion on the first ball of GOT isn't much fun. Then she gets on it and smashes another billion, there's another 15 minute wait.

rd

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So is the logical conclusion here -- Ghostbusters is better than the Bengals, but not better than Stars?

I think that's where we are currently at.

Ghostbusters < bengals < the All Blacks < 1978 Stern Stars

Sounds about right.

rd

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just a thought, maybe Levi could install the center post mod between the flippers and block the outlanes and it wouldnt kick his ass so bad

I don't think the 64th ranked pinball player in the world needs any posts....

rd

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I watched a couple of Stern Stars videos to see what it was all about..... nodded off while watching.

Try and stay awake a bit longer and listen to what Bowen says after 7.55 and what happens around the 11 minute mark.

rd

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

TPF is probably a go if you'd like to meet up there, otherwise you'll just have to come out to visit us (wearing shorts) when your temps go south

Watch out Iceman, we are all heading to Texas 2017! Yeeeeehawwwwww!

rd

#151 7 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Damn, mate!!! Your significant other supports your habit this way?

She's the reason there's so many. She won't let me sell any.

I can't imagine being married to anyone that wasn't supportive of the other partners hobby/interests. That would be a nightmare.

rd

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Welp, that's too bad NimbleNoodle. You'll be missed ! Looks like TPF is the party next year. If you and RD are gonna be there,...I'm gonna have to go for that reason alone. Yippi ki yay mf's.

I will be there, danni_nz and Fiona too, Nicks Figureeeees will be there, maybe a couple of others. And hopefully NimbleNuts will be joining us!

rd

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Better question still not close to top 10 IMHO

A better question would have been "is GB better than CSI?"

Answer is still no.

rd

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Dont get me started with that turd RD

It's actually a very cool game. Someone offered me good money for mine last month, couldn't sell it. I play it all the time.

rd

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Happy for folks that like it...seems to strike a chord with some of you guys.

It sure does. I am genuinely amazed at the buzz on the theme. I had no idea of the fanboydom surrounding GB. It's an ok movie ... But hardly cinematic genius or anything ...

rd

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Ghostbusters:
If you miss your super skill shot = jail. Might as well have thrown that quarter in the trash (assuming game is only 75c/play) because you aren't going to break 10m for this ball. Your only choice in the game is to shoot that stupid ghost target which is designed to drain left outlane every time (or if it's designed to go inlane it doesn't matter, because the inlane rails are so short it will hop over!) Then slimer comes down and dear god are you in trouble. If you're lucky enough to be playing a Pro instead of the godforsaken LE you will have to shoot the ball into a shot-that-isn't-a-shot random hole in the middle of the game which maybe sorta goes to pop bumpers??? Then if you can shake it out to the right side you have to hope that the emergency gate works they had to put on the game after it clearly wasn't tested too well. If it works.. your ball will finally return to the flipper. If it doesn't... good luck...
Hopefully during this fiasco you somehow survived 2-5 ghost target shots and 1 slimer shot. Did you do that? great. Now hit slimer 3 more times. Oh by the way he rarely registers now unless you use the older code with no debounce time.. now he registers so often that you get stuck in an infinite Mass Hysteria loop and you can't even lose if you tried. Fun!
Ok so 2 more shots to the stupid slimer toy, well, what else is there to do? Oh. I guess I could hit this captive ball and nice! got 1 hit and regained control.. pass over to the right flipper and shoot the captive ball again and it... bounced into the Scolari Bros. start... oh no the "best game ever" has decided that it wasn't hard enough so it decided to put 2 drop targets up in front of the only 2 shots worth shooting in this game. How do they block them? With airballs! The ball doesn't just reject like a normal game with normal drop targets. no. it hits the glass maybe takes a ride down the left side plastic over the captive ball area into the drain, maybe it hits the LE's habitrail and goes outlane, maybe over a flipper. The fun of ghostbusters is that the better you play the worse you do! If I wanted to play a game where nothing I do determines my outcome and I'm going to waste my time and money I'd just drive down to Atlantic City and play one of the Big Bang Theory slot machines.
There are 3 scores on Ghostbusters.
1m-10m. This only happens to players who don't short plunge. "Play better" by spending 2-3 minutes per ball skillfully draining.
50m-200m. This score is what you get from playing 2-3 modes and 1 worthless storage facility multiball.
1bn+ This is the score you get 1 game out of 50 where you're "not quite sure what I did" but you've deluded yourself into thinking it was cool because when you looked up the score was very large. "The flippers seemed to swap sides that was pretty cool right? I dunno I was in multiball it just kept giving me balls and everything was lit so I shot it."
Now stars has some great features that Ghostbusters doesn't have. The first thing you will notice is that there is rubber on the playfield. This is important because it gives the player a tool to control the ball when they aren't using flippers. Does ghostbusters have rubber? Nope.. not really.. just on the slingshots unless.. oh wait.. you're playing an LE? I'm so sorry. Magna-slings have decided to take away your ability to use the slings to your advantage at all! Fun!
Stars also has: a center post. Now you may be saying... why does this matter? Most games don't have center posts. Put your ghostbusters out anywhere on location for players to play and then check out the floor later. If you have any good players they will be making sweeping slide saves to prevent center drains constantly.. especially if there's a bad scoop feed in either scoop which there has been in every Ghostbusters I've played so far (4: 3 pros 1 LE)
In its current state with code, Ghostbusters is not a top 10 game. If there are no massive changes to the software of the game, there will be no chance it will remain popular. Can the game get better? Perhaps.. but it needs to become playable and fun from start to finish. It needs flow and code. I don't want to play a game where I have to keep checking my surroundings to see if perhaps I died and was sent to a very specific layer of hell for pinball players.

Man, thats the best Pinside review ever! 10/10!

rd

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Avengers & Awesome should never be put in the same sentence when talking about Pinball.

ooooooooooooooooooooffffffffffffffff!

rd

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nice setup. I'm surprised I didn't see more unique and euro stuff in your collection. didn't look like you had any. that surprises me.

NZ doesn't have any of those.

I don't know of one Zacc in the whole country! There may be one hidden somewhere I don't know about ...

Even pre 90s American pins are thin on the ground here. The majority of the SS machines you see in that video I have imported from either Los Angeles or the NYC area.

rd

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I get asked by non-pin afficianos if I have a DE Star Wars AKA "that pinball game that has a cool hopping R2D2".
I tell them I sold it 15 years ago, as I prefer Twilight Zone anyway.
They say what's Twilight Zone?

When I get asked about pinball, the ones
I get asked about by total non-pin guys are Star Wars, Jurassic Park and strangely, Gilligans Island.

rd

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Playfield issues aside I don't see what's to hate about it.

Ummm ... Playfield issues?

rd

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB ...Every exit down the center. Orbit exit gate that doesn't stop guide ricochets down the center. Scoop kick down the center. Mega tight shots. Airball city

No code is gonna fix all that shit.

rd

#407 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

and ten in GoTprem

GOT is so far superior to GB, it isn't even in the same sphere.

People are totally blinded by the Ghostbusters effect. I can't believe it. I was playing in a Comp Saturday night and a couple of guys (mid range players) were saying they loved the art and the theme and wanted one. Even when I explained the issues I have with it, and the machine did exactly what I said it would when they played it (SDTM drains, instant sling suicide) they still wanted one. Because it's pretty looking. Un-f**king-believable.

Each to their own. Their money.

rd

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

9.9 for xmen? that pin sucks bad. Talk about poor taste. I bet he gave shit tales a 9.9 too.

Love me some Fish Tales! Great game.

Xmen is everything GB isn't. Good. And someone has to counteract Rares hatred.

rd

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Flow doesn't automatically = good. It's still a clusterfuck of a shit game, with shit toys that need to be modded for the game to be playable, with shit voices that make your ears bleed, with too much content and too little nuance....argh that f*cking game. The worst.

Is there a broken record gif?

Quoted from Rarehero:

I dig Fish Tales tho...I'm with ya there Music can be kind of annoying, but a great playing game that has a great marriage of design and code.

Shhhhh don't tell Neo. It can be our little secret.

I might go rank it a 10.0 just to rile him up a bit. Haha

rd

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if by TWD you ment LOTR, then I agree.

If by LOTR you meant Stars, then I agree.

rd

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

im loving my GB, its super fun and super fast. didnt think id be into the theme but they have done it bloody well. ive barely touched my tron and metallica since gb has arrived. ive not played every stern game but i think gb is the best ive played so far. i just keep pressing the start button time after time.

That's the "new toy factor".

The trick is, will it be the same in 6/12 months.. Only time will tell.

Everyone loves a new toy. But long term, some toys are better than others.

rd

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from MSN22:

I agree - which is why Dave has 100 + games, like an addiction the first few times the high is great but over time you need more and more often because the high doesn't last as long.

Yes and no. For me the thrill comes not in getting a pin, it is learning it and (hopefully) beating it. Learning to play TWD and beating HORDE and TERMINUS is up there with the greatest buzz I've had in pinball.

Getting through Iron Throne on GOTpro was almost as cool. But TWD was better cause my machine is nasty as all hell.

Quoted from MSN22:

Sorry Dave need to ask - what is a mid range player ?

In this exact case, guys who usually come 10-20th in a field of 20. That's as mid range as you can get.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its easily one of Sterns best pins ever. You rag on it constantly, maybe you just need to play better?

???

My IFPA ranking is only slightly lower than Levis. And Tim who made the other informed comment on the game is also in the top 100 ranked players.

Maybe you need to play better?

rd

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I havent seen anyone on this forum that owns a Ghostbusters machine that says it sucks.

That's nonsensical. Anybody who thinks GB sucks isn't going to buy one in the first place.

It's great that you like it. Awesome! Enjoy it! But you don't need to keep seeking validation for it.

rd

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

How many people that spend thousands on any game say it sucks right away? That is why you need time to see where it will settle.

Exactly.

rd

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

YOU were the one that suggested that RD

in order to appreciate the game.

It was a response to "play better" which is always a douchey way to dispute a discussion.

rd

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Yep, not questioning that. Just pointing out Who-Dey's shift in position when cornered.

Ahhhhh I see what you did there. Your tricky editing confused my simple mind.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.