(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.
#301 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Compared to Kiss, GB has way more awesome toys and features ....but great layout and geometry!?!? Every exit down the center. Orbit exit gate that doesn't stop guide ricochets down the center. Scoop kick down the center. Mega tight shots. Airball city. I just said Kiss is for hardcore Kiss fans....right now GB is for diehard GB fans (like me lol, I'm a sucker). I'm still gonna be naive and hope a nice code update can elevate GB to a higher plane of existence. Kiss is a lost cause, IMO...but I still hope the code gets finished for those who have it.

The only down the center exit I have is pops left. Nothing else feeds the middle. And that I can control with a good nudge. Uses a tilt warning, but I can save.

#302 7 years ago

Im not a fan of the GB movie and when I seen people stream the game I was sure that I wouldn't like it due to the short ball times and all the ball drains. Once I played it though I fell in love with it and im going to get one. It's really hard to quit playing once you get started.

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not a fan of the GB movie and when I seen people stream the game I was sure that I wouldn't like it due to the short ball times and all the ball drains. Once I played it though I fell in love with it and im going to get one. It's really hard to quit playing once you get started.

I will admit there is an addicting factor, even tho it pisses the fuck out of me - but I am a huge fan of the movie, so I want to keep playing to see if I can get thru more modes to relive my favorite bits from the film.

#304 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB ...Every exit down the center. Orbit exit gate that doesn't stop guide ricochets down the center. Scoop kick down the center. Mega tight shots. Airball city

No code is gonna fix all that shit.

rd

#305 7 years ago

Yes it is the best,but be sure though there is enough space where your machine sits,take the plumb bob out so you can nudge the machine 4 inches to the left and right.
If you don't,experiences with gb may vary...

#306 7 years ago

Great game, amazing actually when tuned correctly.

Best game ever?, common...

#307 7 years ago

How about this guys, is it possible that Ghostbusters could be the best STERN games ever? Now I certainly believe that is a possibility guys. Its easily going to be a top 5 best Stern games ever once its all said and done.

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

How about this guys, is it possible that Ghostbusters could be the best STERN games ever? Now I certainly believe that is a possibility guys. Its easily going to be a top 5 best Stern games ever once its all said and done.

No way best Stern. Maybe a top 10 Stern, not top a top 5. Metallica, ACDC, Tron, TSPP, LOTR, Walking Dead are all better IMHO. GB has great art though.

#309 7 years ago

no, LOTR owns that title. TSPP is up there as well. They have the time in, to now be considered some of the best. GB has a lot of years yet before it can be even considered.

#310 7 years ago

Man you guys are a tough bunch! Lol

#311 7 years ago

3 of clg's top 5 I would not place as such.

I bet it's easily in YOUR top 5. Mine too probably.

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

3 of clg's top 5 I would not place as such.
I bet it's easily in YOUR top 5. Mine too probably.

There are so many good pins that I can see why its so hard to say it could be a top 10 pin of all time or a top 5 Stern etc. I honestly though dont see how anyone could not think GB is really good though. Maybe im just fascinated by it because of the art work, light show, playfield toys, and its killer sound. Im not sure what it is but I just really like it so far. I think orders are very strong for GB so there must be alot of people that feel the same way as I do.

#313 7 years ago

As far as Stern goes,it just might be their best pin since 2000!

Let's not forget Striker Extreme was their 1st game back in 2000!
since their 2nd revival!!

#314 7 years ago

It's just too new. It has new pussay syndrome right now. It's like when you first start dating. Everything is awesome the first 1-6 months. Then things start being noticed. Hence why it takes 5 years before a game has put in it's dues to be deemed anything.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's just too new. It has new pussay syndrome right now. It's like when you first start dating. Everything is awesome the first 1-6 months. Then things start being noticed. Hence why it takes 5 years before a game has put in it's dues to be deemed anything.

Almost.....If you need 5 years to figure out if you have a top 10 Cat, your in trouble!

Another 50 games, and its been enjoyed as much as my other keepers!

Not without issues....what pet isnt?

Top 20...easy
Top 10, Code and issue fixes and time.

Better then that? No idea....But having a blast and excited that Premiums will start getting homes soon!!

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Thats a good analogy and very true. Im diving in head first on this one though bad decision or not! Hey at least if it dont work out it will be alot easier to get rid of than some of the women I've dated!

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Almost.....If you need 5 years to figure out if you have a top 10 Cat, your in trouble!
Another 50 games, and its been enjoyed as much as my other keepers!
Not without issues....what pet isnt?
Top 20...easy
Top 10, Code and issue fixes and time.
Better then that? No idea....But having a blast and excited that Premiums will start getting homes soon!!

I value your opinion Oldpinguy, and if you say GB is a keeper I believe it!

#318 7 years ago

Best pin ever ?
No because we always want something better ...
Change title to maybe best stern ..
maybe to early to say..

I don't ever think that MM will ever lose its top spot in the near future ...

#319 7 years ago

A Stern machine the best pin ever? Bruhahahahaha...

#320 7 years ago

It's a decent pin but not enough satisfying shots. The right ramp shot (on pro) is just lame. Too many shots to the bumpers. It does look good. Although I find the playfield artwork a bit too washed out looking. Overall it's a very good pin...I'd say top 20 max.

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Tell that to thith guy...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

NO goddammit...give up this stupid fantasy already. Ghostbusters won't even be the best pin released this year.

Games that are clearly better than GB and always will be:

Tron, Metallica, walking dead, kiss, Star Trek, tspp, Lotr, AC/DC...oh, and stars and about every stern made between 1978-1981

get the picture?

This thread, however, does have a shot at top 5 stupidest ever "once all is said and done", so at least you got that goin for ya.

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

NO goddammit...give up this stupid fantasy already. Ghostbusters won't even be the best pin released this year.
Games that are clearly better than GB and always will be:
Tron, Metallica, walking dead, kiss, Star Trek, tspp, Lotr, AC/DC...oh, and stars and about every stern made between 1978-1981
get the picture?
This thread, however, does have a shot at top 5 stupidest ever "once all is said and done", so at least you got that goin for ya.

Wanna know what's really stupid Levi? You keep on reading it lol

Go take your meds and leave us big people alone, or better yet go play your Stern Stars!

#325 7 years ago

When I read this thread title I assumed it existed only to troll Crazy Levi, and as such it has been a monumental success.

While the backlash is entertaining reading, it has stirred up my GB fanboyism and I feel compelled to offer a defense.

If you consider GB on the basis of theme, art, and music/sound(all very important to me), a top 10 ranking is reasonable.
If you like unique layouts and playfield features, GBLE ranks right up there as well.
Unfortunately some of the design issues make for a very frustrating gameplay experience which is not helped by the way the rules/scoring is implemented.

Still, if the tilt is set liberally and you can move the machine, GB becomes a white-knuckle, hyper-vigilant thrill ride that is exhilarating, in contrast to the comparatively soporific experience of some other titles(I'm looking at you, TH).

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Kiss was a rushed game that will appeal to Kiss fans who don't know any better. Code schmode, Kiss's problem is that it has a giant head that does nothing. A spinning disc that you can't see & also really does nothing....aaaaand that's it!!! It's a relatively featureless game. If you get the Prem/LE you get a twitchy Starman that does nothing and a magnet trick that does nothing. It's a game for hardcore Kiss fans only, pinball fans can find better fun for their money

Compared to Kiss, GB has way more awesome toys and features ....but great layout and geometry!?!? Every exit down the center. Orbit exit gate that doesn't stop guide ricochets down the center. Scoop kick down the center. Mega tight shots. Airball city. I just said Kiss is for hardcore Kiss fans....right now GB is for diehard GB fans (like me lol, I'm a sucker). I'm still gonna be naive and hope a nice code update can elevate GB to a higher plane of existence. Kiss is a lost cause, IMO...but I still hope the code gets finished for those who have it.

You love slamming KISS! I agree with your comments on the disk/magnet features, but KISS shoots great. Not a "lost cause" and not for people who "don't know any better". The layout and geometry of KISS blows GB away and those can't be fixed! GB is the lost cause...

Do I wish KISS had more exciting rules/dots? Sure. Is it my favorite rock and roll pin? No.

#327 7 years ago

*Yawn*

Wait, we are doing one of these threads again? New game, hype, unfinished code, no one bothered to play it out for a couple years before passing judgement?

Wake me up in 3 years and then we can talk. Until then expect it to start high in the rankings and slowly fall back down. If code updates the code it will go up in ranking, but you never know how much until a few years after they quit.

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The layout and geometry of KISS blows GB away and those can't be fixed! GB is the lost cause...

There is absolutely nothing exciting about KISS' layout. It's the most bland, unchallenging, uninspired layout we've seen in at least a decade. The only risk was the head, and that's a flop.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No code is gonna fix all that shit.
rd

Hah, no - but mods and community ideas will. Avatar had a shitty STDM from the pops, Stern provided a spring that was supposed to fix it - but it didn't. I repositioned the spring to another post, and then the pops exit was perfect.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

How about this guys, is it possible that Ghostbusters could be the best STERN games ever?

I already gave you an example of 7 "perfect" Stern games. Others will add their favorites on top of that. So, there se at least 10 Stern games (or more) that are better than GB - games that have a perfect marriage of design and code.

#330 7 years ago

Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpgLets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg

#331 7 years ago

Greatest meme ever (resized).jpegGreatest meme ever (resized).jpeg

#332 7 years ago

Right now, it's a top 5 Stern for me. In no order...

AC/DC, Spider-Man, GBLE, Iron Man, and depending on my mood for the day, take your pick from LOTR, TSPP, or Tron.

#333 7 years ago

Lovebirds (resized).jpgLovebirds (resized).jpg

#334 7 years ago

Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpgThuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There is absolutely nothing exciting about KISS' layout. It's the most bland, unchallenging, uninspired layout we've seen in at least a decade. The only risk was the head, and that's a flop.

But it "shoots great!"

When did people start saying this about pins? It reeks strangely of Kaneda.

#336 7 years ago

Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpgOk the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wanna know what's really stupid Levi? You keep on reading it lol
Go take your meds and leave us big people alone, or better yet go play your Stern Stars!

Ah the old "but you keep responding!" gambit.

So...what you are telling me, is that you made a post, and I responded, and continue to make more posts, to which I continue to respond to.

Huh...as if that isn't the complete and total point of this place. Well, you win, I guess!

#338 7 years ago

OK lath one. Let's get back to important stuff like Sammy Hagar...
Too funny (resized).jpgToo funny (resized).jpg

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You love slamming KISS! I agree with your comments on the disk/magnet features, but KISS shoots great. Not a "lost cause" and not for people who "don't know any better". The layout and geometry of KISS blows GB away and those can't be fixed! GB is the lost cause...

This is what I'm saying though...you're a mega Kiss fan, so the theme goes a long way and you'll enjoy the game despite its flaws, more so than I would. I'm a mega Ghostbusters fan, so I'm more likely to enjoy the game despite its flaws than you'd be. But c'mon, as mega fans of the licenses - we want these games to be much better!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But it "shoots great!"
When did people start saying this about pins? It reeks strangely of Kaneda.

Really? You never heard that term? You know instinctively when a game "feels" good...when the shots feel smooth and satisfying when you hit them. I will give Kiss that, at least...as much as I think it's a rushed game with shit toys, the ramps and orbit shots feel smooth and nice when you hit them. That being said, who cares - plenty of games shoot great, but are also a great package all around.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Really? You never heard that term? .

Before I started hanging around here, I've absolutely never heard the term or people talking about how a game "shoots."

It's a pinside invention, it's a newbie invention.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Before I started hanging around here, I've absolutely never heard the term or people talking about how a game "shoots."
It's a pinside invention.

The term seems reliant on a player's skill. If a player is really accurate, everything will shoot good.

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The term seems reliant on a player's skill. If a player is really accurate, everything will shoot good.

No matter the skill, The Avengers is always a poor shooter. Clunky.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats a good analogy and very true. Im diving in head first on this one though bad decision or not! Hey at least if it dont work out it will be alot easier to get rid of than some of the women I've dated!

I understand that, but does it have to be a "best" ever pin to be a good decision. Only one game can be a best ever. You don't have to have a best ever to enjoy it. Just has to be good. TZ is a best ever for me. To me, it's almost a perfectly designed game. But do I need a TZ to enjoy other great games? No. In fact there are around 50 games I would like to have room for someday. Variety is the key to enjoyment.... with many things

#344 7 years ago

Such a thrilling immersive game! It's everything, the entire package together is extra special. Hard to put a finger on one thing, but together it all seems pretty cutting edge. Can't stop playing this one...a true work of art. When you do hit several ramps or combos in a row, there's a laser beam focus that hits, like the zone, because there is so much going on, so many fun distractions to navigate through. Truly entertaining, definitely going to be a keeper for me. Well done, Stern.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a pinside invention, it's a newbie invention.

I've been hearing I was a newb 10 years ago - usually it's a way to compliment the layout about a game before you complain about it. Example - "T3 shoots great, but it's too easy and the sound is terrible."

#346 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've been hearing I was a newb 10 years ago - usually it's a way to compliment the layout about a game before you complain about it. Example - "T3 shoots great, but it's too easy and the sound is terrible."

So, we are at least in agreement that it's an essentially meaningless barometer of how good a game is, kind of like an argument in an ad about whether or not a beer's best qualities are that it "tastes great" or is "less filling."

LOL @ "shoots great." What in the everloving Hell is that supposed to mean?

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LOL @ "shoots great." What in the everloving Hell is that supposed to mean?

I just told you! Lol

It's a comment about the physical nature of the game, regardless of the whole package in context.

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just told you! Lol
It's a comment about the physical nature of the game, regardless of the whole package in context.

Shoots great!

Better Flowing!

Shoots great!

Better Flowing!

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Shoots great!
Better Flowing!
Shoots great!
Better Flowing!

...but the toys suck or the code sucks or....it usually comes with a "but".

#350 7 years ago

"Hey man, wanna shoot some pinball ?" just sounds more manly than "Hey Chazz, wanna play some pinball ?"
It's one of those subconscious masculine re-enforcers that makes us feel all lumberjack. Just my 3 cent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.