(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Ghostbusters:
If you miss your super skill shot = jail. Might as well have thrown that quarter in the trash (assuming game is only 75c/play) because you aren't going to break 10m for this ball. Your only choice in the game is to shoot that stupid ghost target which is designed to drain left outlane every time (or if it's designed to go inlane it doesn't matter, because the inlane rails are so short it will hop over!) Then slimer comes down and dear god are you in trouble. If you're lucky enough to be playing a Pro instead of the godforsaken LE you will have to shoot the ball into a shot-that-isn't-a-shot random hole in the middle of the game which maybe sorta goes to pop bumpers??? Then if you can shake it out to the right side you have to hope that the emergency gate works they had to put on the game after it clearly wasn't tested too well. If it works.. your ball will finally return to the flipper. If it doesn't... good luck...
Hopefully during this fiasco you somehow survived 2-5 ghost target shots and 1 slimer shot. Did you do that? great. Now hit slimer 3 more times. Oh by the way he rarely registers now unless you use the older code with no debounce time.. now he registers so often that you get stuck in an infinite Mass Hysteria loop and you can't even lose if you tried. Fun!
Ok so 2 more shots to the stupid slimer toy, well, what else is there to do? Oh. I guess I could hit this captive ball and nice! got 1 hit and regained control.. pass over to the right flipper and shoot the captive ball again and it... bounced into the Scolari Bros. start... oh no the "best game ever" has decided that it wasn't hard enough so it decided to put 2 drop targets up in front of the only 2 shots worth shooting in this game. How do they block them? With airballs! The ball doesn't just reject like a normal game with normal drop targets. no. it hits the glass maybe takes a ride down the left side plastic over the captive ball area into the drain, maybe it hits the LE's habitrail and goes outlane, maybe over a flipper. The fun of ghostbusters is that the better you play the worse you do! If I wanted to play a game where nothing I do determines my outcome and I'm going to waste my time and money I'd just drive down to Atlantic City and play one of the Big Bang Theory slot machines.
There are 3 scores on Ghostbusters.
1m-10m. This only happens to players who don't short plunge. "Play better" by spending 2-3 minutes per ball skillfully draining.
50m-200m. This score is what you get from playing 2-3 modes and 1 worthless storage facility multiball.
1bn+ This is the score you get 1 game out of 50 where you're "not quite sure what I did" but you've deluded yourself into thinking it was cool because when you looked up the score was very large. "The flippers seemed to swap sides that was pretty cool right? I dunno I was in multiball it just kept giving me balls and everything was lit so I shot it."
Now stars has some great features that Ghostbusters doesn't have. The first thing you will notice is that there is rubber on the playfield. This is important because it gives the player a tool to control the ball when they aren't using flippers. Does ghostbusters have rubber? Nope.. not really.. just on the slingshots unless.. oh wait.. you're playing an LE? I'm so sorry. Magna-slings have decided to take away your ability to use the slings to your advantage at all! Fun!
Stars also has: a center post. Now you may be saying... why does this matter? Most games don't have center posts. Put your ghostbusters out anywhere on location for players to play and then check out the floor later. If you have any good players they will be making sweeping slide saves to prevent center drains constantly.. especially if there's a bad scoop feed in either scoop which there has been in every Ghostbusters I've played so far (4: 3 pros 1 LE)
In its current state with code, Ghostbusters is not a top 10 game. If there are no massive changes to the software of the game, there will be no chance it will remain popular. Can the game get better? Perhaps.. but it needs to become playable and fun from start to finish. It needs flow and code. I don't want to play a game where I have to keep checking my surroundings to see if perhaps I died and was sent to a very specific layer of hell for pinball players.

I get that you're trying to be hyperbolic on purpose, but several things are inaccurate with your complaints. It's easy to get into modes via skill shot. You can miss many times and the skill shot stays lit, so you can keep trying. The skill shot stays lit until you hit a different major shot, which will only happen if you're flailing. Even with that, it's still worth taking the 5X or multipliers skill shot, because the Ghost target isn't as dangerous as you say, especially from the left flipper, and the ball saver is generous.

There's also no Mass Hysteria loop. You can't loop that mode, it's not possible on current code.

Slimer only takes 3 hits, not 4.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I get that you're trying to be hyperbolic on purpose, but several things are inaccurate with your complaints. It's easy to get into modes via skill shot. You can miss many times and the skill shot stays lit, so you can keep trying. The skill shot stays lit until you hit a different major shot, which will only happen if you're flailing.

But see, this sums up the whole GB experience.

You get to start EVERY BALL by soft plunging about 8 times, draining invalidated balls, and struggling to get control so you can take a chance at a skill shot.

And this is just to avoid missed skill shot jail, before you've even taken a meaningful flip.

It's not fun.

#203 7 years ago

TAF is the best pin ever

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think the flipper gap complaint is something I don't understand. I don't have a problem with lightning flippers. I haven't had a problem with Creature or Mustang or any other Trudeau game. I wonder if it's just a mental thing with some people.

It's not mental, it's the physical real things that happen on this game...plenty of people are describing how the games layout and quirks lead to cheap drains. Cheap drains are cheap drains - no one is making it up.

Lightning flipper games have less gap than GB - and, let's say someone didn't like a lightning gap, easy enough to put on regular flippers. Even with carrot flippers the gap is huge.

Also, other Trudeau or lighting flipper games don't have the amount of content/modes as GB. I have BSD and DW (and used to have FT) and love those lighting games. They're challenging but the code is balanced perfectly with the physical challenge. This is GB's problem, very well stated by many people in this thread - it punishes you physically, and on top of that, it punishes you with the code. If you actually manage to start a mode (scenic route or skill shot) - and drain, you have to start that fucking mode again and it just makes you feel like you're stuck in molasses hell. The simple code tweak of allowing a mode to remain active after a drain (like many ST modes) would alleviate much of the frustration people have. An optional setting to not require mode replay if a mode times out would help even more.

This is a game that everyone SHOULD love. There is too much evidence from pro and casual players to show that poor design decisions were made, no testing was done or else changes would have been made....and now it's up to Dwight & the mod community to save it. No pressure.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

TAF is the best pin ever

close. I'd say TZ, but TAF is a close second. They are practically the same game tho.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But see, this sums up the whole GB experience.
You get to start EVERY BALL by soft plunging about 8 times, draining invalidated balls, and struggling to get control so you can take a chance at a skill shot.
And this is just to avoid missed skill shot jail, before you've even taken a meaningful flip.
It's not fun.

Or you can plunge into a rollover skill shot and then start your modes via Slimer. It's not hard. If you want to shoot for a mode start, you don't have to soft plunge, just hard plunge and trap up and take the mode you want. Playfield will already be validated, but it's not hard to get control from a hard plunge.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Some people like old ladies with dentures and no teeth. Gummies.
Some of my favorite times were with my old Intellivision game back in the early 80's. Baseball was awesome!
Coughlins' law "bury the dead, all they do is stink up the joint". What movie?

Cocktail!

#208 7 years ago

Unfortunately for me it's not even close - hell no.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

TAF is the best pin ever

... ONE of the best. There is no best pinball game, only a group of top contenders.

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Ghostbusters:
If you miss your super skill shot = jail. Might as well have thrown that quarter in the trash (assuming game is only 75c/play) because you aren't going to break 10m for this ball. Your only choice in the game is to shoot that stupid ghost target which is designed to drain left outlane every time (or if it's designed to go inlane it doesn't matter, because the inlane rails are so short it will hop over!) Then slimer comes down and dear god are you in trouble. If you're lucky enough to be playing a Pro instead of the godforsaken LE you will have to shoot the ball into a shot-that-isn't-a-shot random hole in the middle of the game which maybe sorta goes to pop bumpers??? Then if you can shake it out to the right side you have to hope that the emergency gate works they had to put on the game after it clearly wasn't tested too well. If it works.. your ball will finally return to the flipper. If it doesn't... good luck...
Hopefully during this fiasco you somehow survived 2-5 ghost target shots and 1 slimer shot. Did you do that? great. Now hit slimer 3 more times. Oh by the way he rarely registers now unless you use the older code with no debounce time.. now he registers so often that you get stuck in an infinite Mass Hysteria loop and you can't even lose if you tried. Fun!
Ok so 2 more shots to the stupid slimer toy, well, what else is there to do? Oh. I guess I could hit this captive ball and nice! got 1 hit and regained control.. pass over to the right flipper and shoot the captive ball again and it... bounced into the Scolari Bros. start... oh no the "best game ever" has decided that it wasn't hard enough so it decided to put 2 drop targets up in front of the only 2 shots worth shooting in this game. How do they block them? With airballs! The ball doesn't just reject like a normal game with normal drop targets. no. it hits the glass maybe takes a ride down the left side plastic over the captive ball area into the drain, maybe it hits the LE's habitrail and goes outlane, maybe over a flipper. The fun of ghostbusters is that the better you play the worse you do! If I wanted to play a game where nothing I do determines my outcome and I'm going to waste my time and money I'd just drive down to Atlantic City and play one of the Big Bang Theory slot machines.
There are 3 scores on Ghostbusters.
1m-10m. This only happens to players who don't short plunge. "Play better" by spending 2-3 minutes per ball skillfully draining.
50m-200m. This score is what you get from playing 2-3 modes and 1 worthless storage facility multiball.
1bn+ This is the score you get 1 game out of 50 where you're "not quite sure what I did" but you've deluded yourself into thinking it was cool because when you looked up the score was very large. "The flippers seemed to swap sides that was pretty cool right? I dunno I was in multiball it just kept giving me balls and everything was lit so I shot it."
Now stars has some great features that Ghostbusters doesn't have. The first thing you will notice is that there is rubber on the playfield. This is important because it gives the player a tool to control the ball when they aren't using flippers. Does ghostbusters have rubber? Nope.. not really.. just on the slingshots unless.. oh wait.. you're playing an LE? I'm so sorry. Magna-slings have decided to take away your ability to use the slings to your advantage at all! Fun!
Stars also has: a center post. Now you may be saying... why does this matter? Most games don't have center posts. Put your ghostbusters out anywhere on location for players to play and then check out the floor later. If you have any good players they will be making sweeping slide saves to prevent center drains constantly.. especially if there's a bad scoop feed in either scoop which there has been in every Ghostbusters I've played so far (4: 3 pros 1 LE)
In its current state with code, Ghostbusters is not a top 10 game. If there are no massive changes to the software of the game, there will be no chance it will remain popular. Can the game get better? Perhaps.. but it needs to become playable and fun from start to finish. It needs flow and code. I don't want to play a game where I have to keep checking my surroundings to see if perhaps I died and was sent to a very specific layer of hell for pinball players.

Love this post.
1) As a mod, because you really explain what are the problems you find with this pin. Good for discussion, agreeing or disagreeing.
2) As a player, because I feel exactly the same. Except I would not have been able to explain it clearly. This is the first recent Stern I really wish to avoid during a tourney.
No, IMO, it's not a top 10 game.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

close. I'd say TZ, but TAF is a close second. They are practically the same game tho.

I've heard that for years - yet I love TAF, but don't understand TZ at all. *shrug*

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not mental, it's the physical real things that happen on this game...plenty of people are describing how the games layout and quirks lead to cheap drains. Cheap drains are cheap drains - no one is making it up.
Lightning flipper games have less gap tan GB - and, let's say someone didn't like a lightning gap, easy enough to put on regular flippers. Even with carrot flippers the gap is huge.
Also, other Trudeau or lighting flipper games don't have the amount of content/modes as GB. I have BSD and DW (and used to have FT) and love those lighting games. They're challenging but the code is balanced perfectly with the physical challenge. This is GB's problem, very well stated by many people in this thread - it punishes you physically, and on top of that, it punished you with the code. If you actually manage to start a mode (scenic route or skill shot) - and drain, you have to start that fucking mode again and it just makes you feel like you're stuck in molasses hell. The simple
Code tweak of allowing a mode to remain active after a drain (like many ST modes) would alleviate much of the frustration people have. An optional setting to not require mode replay if a mode times out would help even more.
This is a game that everyone SHOULD love. There is too much evidence from pro and casual players to show that poor design decisions were made, no testing was done or else changes would have been made....and now it's up to Dwight & the mod community to save it. No pressure.

There is really nothing to disagree with, except that most new releases, and the subsequent threads share the same pattern....code is either bad, or incomplete. The mode progression, rewards, etc, will likely have changes, we hope/believe/desire...but GB is more advanced in code at delivery than previous titles, and collectively we all bitched and they listened.

Addressing the Gap, is an easy solve with a center post. The resistance to this is fine, but many games in the past, and recently WOZ ship with a Post. Longer flippers, if one wants. These choices all or none should address any Gap discussion or complaint, would you agree?

It should not drain from Pops, and I dont know why some do or dont yet, but like TWD, a small adjustment, piece of felt, larger rubber on left post, angle, etc...one of these should be a solution.

What I agree with is the somewhat quirky layout, but lets face it, its a rectangle, and so many layouts have been used and reused, a successful game should have new shots, and this does.
The PKE meter shot is one challenge in its mode, and I agree, its not a Ritchie Flow, but there are the orbit and ramp shots when hit regularly, are just as fast and satisfying.
Im on like game 250, and getting for me, a bad player, 7-10 PKE in a row, is a fast, run!
Im looking for Combos, because the shots are as you say punishing. Star Trek, for me had only 2 or 3 hard shots..love warp shot, and much easier.
This is a bitch to go from PKE, to Right Orbit, to flipping past whos the dog back to the flipper, without even hearing the callout!!
I am So Glad to agree it Punishes you physically....it means these are new and harder shots to grab, especially if the slings
are screwing with you! It keeps you on your toes, seems to defy the laws of physics with brilliant and sparingly, yet correctly coded magna slings....not for everyone...absolutely true....for these reasons.

Code will improve, Premiums will ship by the thousands, tweak the slings! and it is a huge fun change from
previous games.

BTW Stars is a great game, in its own way, Im just getting spoiled by the subwoofer, music and lights...the GB Experience.....
I cant ever feel it the same in an arcade or a friends house. When no ones home, like AC/DC, TWD, or any game, I crank up the volume and let it kick my ass, or occasionally kick its, but GB for me, is a fun break, and a different game.
I guess, It reminds me of TOTAN in many ways....Silly, joyous fun.

For serious Pinball, Especially on Location, I 100% agree with whats been said in the negative view.
Hopefully, they well get tweaked, and with new code.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Love this post.
1) As a mod, because you really explain what are the problems you find with this pin. Good for discussion, agreeing or disagreeing.
2) As a player, because I feel exactly the same. Except I would not have been able to explain it clearly. This is the first recent Stern I really wish to avoid during a tourney.
No, IMO, it's not a top 10 game.

3) It's inaccurate and, as a mod you probably shouldn't be happy that he's intentionally inflammatory and hyperbolic while using inaccurate information. Otherwise, sure.

It's ok to not like a game, but let's give actual real reasons when saying why not.

#214 7 years ago

You guys are cracking me up!

I agree, pins set up poorly on location don't make for a good experience

I guess if I lived up north I could use my GBLE for firewood this winter

You guys can knock yourselves out having fun hammering GB, while you are doing that I'll be having a blast playing my LE!

After beating LMS again yesterday on TWD, GB provides a great challenge to work through

Some funny reviews but you aren't playing the same pin I'm playing. Just saying

#215 7 years ago

In this thread: Opinions

Just remember that...

Any possible answer to that question couldn't be fact, so it's not surprising.

#216 7 years ago

I can see GB being a very frustration experience for people, as it was for my wife when we first got it. This is a game that takes a while to get honed in on, like The Walking Dead or Iron Man (both of which I find to be more difficult games). But once you figure out how to play safely, it's a whole different game. Getting to that point might not appeal to some, and that's where frustration is going to arise. I'm just at a point in my progression in the hobby that I like tough games that you can only crack wide open rarely.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Addressing the Gap, is an easy solve with a center post. The resistance to this is fine, but many games in the past, and recently WOZ ship with a Post. Longer flippers, if one wants. These choices all or none should address any Gap discussion or complaint, would you agree?

I seriously doubt that TDs will install center posts in GB for any serious tourney. In my experience, most of the recent games that shipped with posts, for example S-M, have the center posts completely removed in a tourney or at the very least the rubber removed to lessen the chance of bounce backs.

What someone chooses for their own home game is a completely different discussion.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

3) It's inaccurate and, as a mod you probably shouldn't be happy that he's intentionally inflammatory and hyperbolic while using inaccurate information. Otherwise, sure.
It's ok to not like a game, but let's give actual real reasons when saying why not.

It was the most perfect and accurate explanation of the game's flaws and how it makes players feel.

#219 7 years ago

The skill shot is great. Hard plunge to left flipper and shot on fly to ecto to start mode

Saucer ejects never go sdtm because the coil power is set properly.

Who got the dog. Start with skill shot. Dead flipper bounce from lock to right flipper. Easy ramp shot. Then left loop on return. 4 shots and onto next mode/ladder.

Learn how to play it top 100 guys Quit whining

What else would you like to know?

#220 7 years ago

Jar, the premiums will have to get out there in mass, like TWD, before people start to figure out what guys like you, me and Art already know!

Having to tweak a pin out of the box, imagine that.

People will say the next code update "saved this pin". No, it's already really really good, despite needing some work

#221 7 years ago

When top players are complaining, then I know its a great pin

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

When top players are complaining, I know its a great pin

Isn't that the truth, if it's not cookie cutter left ramp, right ramp, spinner, they don't know what to do with it

Kind of like movie critics, if they like it you know it sucks!

#223 7 years ago

My two cents I have played it in two different bars both with about ten pin line ups. Pub 340 in Vancouver and a bar right by the new stadium in Edmonton. It was my least enjoyed pin in both lineups and I pumped far more into it than it deserved. It is far from the best off all time it is very disappointing to play. Like playing a video game online that is rampant with cheap hacks, you occasionally manage a decent game but mostly it's just a waste of time.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You guys are cracking me up!
I agree, pins set up poorly on location don't make for a good experience
I guess if I lived up north I could use my GBLE for firewood this winter
You guys can knock yourselves out having fun hammering GB, while you are doing that I'll be having a blast playing my LE!
After beating LMS again yesterday on TWD, GB provides a great challenge to work through
Some funny reviews but you aren't playing the same pin I'm playing. Just saying

The location excuse is ridiculous.

Our ghostbuster pro is set up FINE. It's level. Tilt is fair. Slimer actually works. And we have access to keys to fix or adjust issues.

Game still sucks bro.

The "top 100 player" burn is also stupid. Just because we don't like it doesn't meant we suck at it. You can dislike a game while sill figuring out a way to muddle through it - sometimes that's what tournament play is all about.

Or I guess I just made this myself?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

But enough about ghostbusters...I thought we were discussing Stars?

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Isn't that the truth, if it's not cookie cutter left ramp, right ramp, spinner, they don't know what to do with it
Kind of like movie critics, if they like it you know it sucks!

IDK, it's a pretty standard, slightly asymmetric fan layout, kinda like WOF but not as quirky.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My two cents I have played it in two different bars both with about ten pin line ups. Pub 340 in Vancouver and a bar right by the new stadium in Edmonton. It was my least enjoyed pin in both lineups and I pumped far more into it than it deserved. It is far from the best off all time it is very disappointing to play. Like playing a video game online that is rampant with cheap hacks, you occasionally manage a decent game but mostly it's just a waste of time.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Our ghostbuster pro is set up FINE. It's level. Tilt is fair. And we have access to keys to fix or adjust issues.
Game still sucks bro.

Perhaps the ones you played are a Pro as well?

We havent addressed this. A Pro Plays differently than a Premium or an LE, by a lot!

Get a couple dozen or hundred games in a tuned Premium or LE, and its a very different Pin experience!

I agree its not a shooters pin, cradling the ball is not as crucial as planned shots or Speed/Flow games.
Not a game any tournament, the way it is now, would be happy with.

Makes sense to me if you are seeing that Ice, and I, and others feel we are playing a different game.

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Get a couple dozen or hundred games in a tuned Premium or LE, and its a very different Pin experience!

Unfortunately, the rest of us are tasked with putting in a dollar to press the start button on a game that is probably not tuned in, and is therefore borderline unplayable.

#228 7 years ago

I was the same with IM, on site I hated it, now I own one and not putting $2 in for a game I love it

#229 7 years ago

I'd like to embellish on my earlier response.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

No Way is GB the best pin ever.

No Way is GB the best pin ever, 'cause Batman66 is!

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I can see GB being a very frustration experience for people, as it was for my wife when we first got it. This is a game that takes a while to get honed in on, like The Walking Dead or Iron Man (both of which I find to be more difficult games). But once you figure out how to play safely, it's a whole different game. Getting to that point might not appeal to some, and that's where frustration is going to arise. I'm just at a point in my progression in the hobby that I like tough games that you can only crack wide open rarely.

I see your point and agree but the frustration on this game is just coming from some technic issues (slimer contact, outlane guide too low, bad set up of drops etc).

#231 7 years ago

Page 5 intermission!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Our ghostbuster pro is set up FINE. It's level. Tilt is fair. Slimer actually works. And we have access to keys to fix or adjust issues.
Game still sucks bro.
The "top 100 player" burn is also stupid. Just because we don't like it doesn't meant we suck at it. You can dislike a game while sill figuring out a way to muddle through it - sometimes that's what tournament play is all about.
Or I guess I just made this myself?

But enough about ghostbusters...I thought we were discussing Stars?

Sorry bro. Stars sucks and you don't know what you are talking about.

Location pinball makes a big difference, it's not an excuse. Some good, many are terrible

And the pro sucks and is a totally different game

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Unfortunately, the rest of us are tasked with putting in a dollar to press the start button on a game that is probably not tuned in, and is therefore borderline unplayable.

I've played a couple of TWD pins on location that were borderline unplayable. That pin really has to be tuned in just right

Same goes for GB

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's actually a very cool game. Someone offered me good money for mine last month, couldn't sell it. I play it all the time.
rd

Amen RD! CSI is one of my Favorites!!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#235 7 years ago

The code will change and get better just like it does on every other pin. For the people saying nobody plays this game, I find that hilarious because at the barcade I go to it is the MOST played pin that they have. This game is flat out fun I dont care what anyone says. Almost everyone I know that plays it agrees that its hard as hell and frustrating, but they love it anyway.

#236 7 years ago

It's fun but there are too many flaws in the layout to even be considered as the best ever.

#237 7 years ago

Carry on. I'm going back to enjoying a great pin.

Hard to discuss with people that can't figure out the difference with a pro and premium.

Ck back in a couple of months when people are raving about their premiums

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Carry on. I'm going back to enjoying a great pin.
Hard to discuss with people that can't figure out the difference with a pro and premium.
Ck back in a couple of months when people are raving about their premiums

Exactly iceman! I plan on being one of those Premium owners soon myself.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It was the most perfect and accurate explanation of the game's flaws and how it makes players feel.

Wudgie woo! The big bad Trudeau made a hard game. Then don't play it.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Creature is a masterpiece. I have a hard time reconciling how the same designer came up with ghostbusters.
My only conclusion is that it was either dumb luck, or that Trudeau had a ton of help over at Williams on that particular project.

He's made some other games that are great. Victory is the first to come to mind. That's a very fun pin with an inventive way of getting multiball.

When I look up his game list, I enjoy Alien Star, Congo, Mustang, and Flintstones a lot. Sometimes games like Creature are just a right combination of the team that makes the pin including the sound and art and the right theme.

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

He's made some other games that are great. Victory is the first to come to mind. That's a very fun pin with an inventive way of getting multiball.
When I look up his game list, I enjoy Alien Star, Congo, Mustang, and Flintstones a lot. Sometimes games like Creature are just a right combination of the team that makes the pin including the sound and art and the right theme.

CFTBL, spot on masterpiece!

#242 7 years ago

Fun Game! But Absolutely NO.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I've never played a GB pin so I thought I'd share why I don't like it with good reason, per your request.

It's the GB theme music I've heard watching pin videos. For location play for a short while - sure fine, in my house - no f-ing way... just kill me now.

I like the movies fine but would never bring the pin into my home because it would drive me nuts lol.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

Wudgie woo! The big bad Trudeau made a hard game. Then don't play it.

I like hard games.

This is where there's a disconnect between the critics and those who forgive its flaws. The problems people have are NOT difficulty/challenge. It's fun factor, and design/rules flaws that detract from FUN.

While I agree with Levi, Trunchbull and others - I WANT to be wrong - I still have the game on order and want it to be awesome. I've done this before, I know the drill. I've bought games where I loved the theme but ended up selling due to annoying design and code flaws...Transformers, X-Men, Star Trek...I'm taking this risk cuz I still feel like the potential for a good game is there (and I love the theme more than any of those others). I'd love to eventually take back all my negative critique about this game and for it to be a keeper.

#245 7 years ago

I really want it to be awesome, which is why I keep seeking it out and playing it, hoping for it to "turn on". I've had a couple fun games where I started to get somewhere, but it's hard to keep putting dollars in when only one in five games gets beyond Who Brought The Dog due to clunky drains. Hopefully it'll be on free play at the Pinball Museum here so the cheap losses won't hurt and I'll actually get a chance to learn how to play it!

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But admittedly a beat up Stern Stars might not look as impressive in a finished suburban basement as a brand new GBLE. It's about 20X more fun to play though.

Quoted from rotordave:

Stern Stars is about as much fun as you can have playing pinball with your buddies.
For an outlay of $500-$1000 bucks.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's really indisputable that's Stars is better than GB
Stars is absolutely addictive - you always feel like you can do a little better, blow it open. You keep coming back. It virtually impossible to play only 2 or 3 games of stars. It's incredibly easy to end up in an hour-long stars jail.

Count in me for the Stars is great club. I always have the same experience, needing to play it at least a dozen plus times any time I see it. There's nothing more satisfying than a good game on Stars where you get locked in on the spinner shots and rack up a big score with those chimes going off like crazy.

As far as Ghostbusters (Pro) I have most of the same gripes as Tim with the current code and some of the playfield design elements. It still has some potential though, and code improvements could make it much better. I think the the phenomenal art package alone will always make it stay at least fairly popular, but right now I don't enjoy playing it that much (not as much as Stars anyway).

#247 7 years ago

Hey maybe for the OP its the best game in his oppionion, I think its a very good game and great overall package; but not number one. I wouldnt be surpirsed if its in the top 20 but we'll see as code develops where it settles out.

#248 7 years ago

Maybe the OP shouldn't have posed it as a question if they didn't want dissenting opinions.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And the pro sucks and is a totally different game

There's a big jump down to "sucks", what's so bad about the Pro that is totally changed on the Prem?

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's a big jump down to "sucks", what's so bad about the Pro that is totally changed on the Prem?

I only said that because Levi has one on location and most of the people here are trying to compare it to the premium/le. A dumb statement on my part, kind of like the paparazzi coming out of the woodworks to knock GB with all of the ridiculous hyperbole. "It's a shit game that doesn't belong in the top 200"

There's a long laundry list in the "Real GB thread" of differences. It doesn't really "suck" some differences include ecto goggles, slimer mech, magna slings, lighting and the right ramp makes the pin play totally different. The pro is fun too, just giving Levi crap.

The premium/le is an excellent pin right now, a blast to play, that could end up being great if Dwight comes through.

It's a great theme, unique and fun layout, and Stern's best art package, sound and lighting so far.

Premium's are coming out soon and hopefully a code update.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

15,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever/page/5?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.