(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They are definitely smoking crack iceman lol. Unbelievable!!!

Stars beats Ghostbusters in a lot of features. Code is complete. Playfield, Cab, and backglass art is better. Similar number of shots. Double the amount of spinners. Better sound package. Easy to learn but hard to master rules. It has a Kirk post.

I think you guys just need to put a 100 games on Stars so you understand it better.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Stars beats Ghostbusters in a lot of features. Code is complete. Playfield, Cab, and backglass art is better. Similar number of shots. Double the amount of spinners. Better sound package. Easy to learn but hard to master rules. It has a Kirk post.
I think you guys just need to put a 100 games on Stars so you understand it better.

It's really indisputable that's Stars is better than GB

Stars is absolutely addictive - you always feel like you can do a little better, blow it open. You keep coming back. It virtually impossible to play only 2 or 3 games of stars. It's incredibly easy to end up in an hour-long stars jail.

GB doesn't have this. You never feel like you will do better. Yeah, eventually you have a good game but there's no sense of accomplishment - you just feel like you got really lucky.

I saw two people walk away in disgust from ghostbusters today, after playing it several times.

Nobody ever walks away in disgust from Stars because it's such an awesome game. When it kicks your ass you don't feel cheated.

Also, I've never seen a stars with ghosting. The gble I saw today that was built in August 24 has ghosting on the Tobin insert.

So I think we can all agree that stars is better than ghostbusters, which clearly means ghostbusters can't be the best game ever.

#103 7 years ago

Of course it's not - Batman 66 is the best ever.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stars is absolutely addictive - you always feel like you can do a little better, blow it open. You keep coming back. It virtually impossible to play only 2 or 3 games of stars. It's incredibly easy to end up in an hour-long stars jail.
GB doesn't have this. You never feel like you will do better. Yeah, eventually you have a good game but there's no sense of accomplishment - you just feel like you got really lucky.
I saw two people walk away in disgust from ghostbusters today, after playing it several times.
Nobody ever walks away in disgust from Stars because it's such an awesome game. When it kicks your ass you don't feel cheated.
Also, I've never seen a stars with ghosting. The gble I saw today that was built in August 24 has ghosting on the Tobin insert.
So I think we can all agree that stars is better than ghostbusters, which clearly means ghostbusters can't be the best game ever.

So people like me give Pinside a bad name because I ask if GB could be the best pin ever made, but you say a 1978 Stern Stars is better than Ghostbusters and you are great for Pinside. Makes sense to me! Bwaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaa....

Sounds like Ghostbusters kicks your ass and thats why you hate it. Maybe you need to get better at pinball?

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Now that is what I'm talking about!. Jpop was a bad chapter in my life. I'll drink, laugh, and have a lot of fun with you Cali M f'ers

We haven't told you yet, but a week before 2017 Texas Pinball Festival, we are all showing up at your place to play your pins and drink your beer.

If you're not going to be around, just pop the key under the mat. We will try and be tidy ... Well, tidy-ish ...

rd

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So people like me give Pinside a bad name because I ask if GB could be the best pin ever made, but you say a 1978 Stern Stars is better than Ghostbusters and you are great for Pinside. Makes sense to me! Bwaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaaaa....
Sounds like Ghostbusters kicks your ass and thats why you hate it. Maybe you need to get better at pinball?

Really dude? Bwaahahha?

With those kind of mad skills you are gonna be winning as many flame wars around here as the bengals win playoff games.

And I don't "say" stars is better than ghostbusters, as much as I just report it. It's an established fact, not mere opinion or hyperbole. Much better game all around.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How do you up vote a post more than once?

This is it in a nutshell.

And it's not just Stars. It could be one of twenty of that sort of game.

Danni and I pretty much play these sort of pins exclusively, when we are playing together. I'll play the modern games by myself, but to be totally honest, being player two when I am getting 2 billion on the first ball of GOT isn't much fun. Then she gets on it and smashes another billion, there's another 15 minute wait.

rd

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Really dude? Bwaahahha?
With those kind of mad skills you are gonna be winning as many flame wars around here as the bengals win playoff games.
And I don't "say" stars is better than ghostbusters, as much as I just report it. It's an established fact, not mere opinion or hyperbole. Much better game all around.

I'd probably be jealous of the Bengals too if I was a Jets or a Giants fan. You could take the best players from both teams and you still couldn't put together a decent football team!

#109 7 years ago

Now you are really digging your own grave.

I'm neither a jets nor giants fan. But I'm smart enough to know they've won a combined 5 Super Bowls to the bengals GOOSE EGG.

Why dey? Bwahahahaha

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now you are really digging your own grave.
I'm neither a jets nor giants fan. But I'm smart enough to know they've won a combined 5 Super Bowls to the bengals GOOSE EGG.
Why dey? Bwahahahaha

That's ok, laugh all you want. Everybody knows that the Bengals are Bad Ass!

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But I'm smart enough to know...

Finish that sentence any way you want. You're wrong.
See previous posts for evidence.

: )

#112 7 years ago

Need a little help here...

So is the logical conclusion here -- Ghostbusters is better than the Bengals, but not better than Stars?

I think I can remember that...
-mof

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So is the logical conclusion here -- Ghostbusters is better than the Bengals, but not better than Stars?

I think that's where we are currently at.

Ghostbusters < bengals < the All Blacks < 1978 Stern Stars

Sounds about right.

rd

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Need a little help here...
I think I can remember that...
-mof

No I think he said Ghostbusters is whale sh*t in the bottom of the sea and the Bengals is dog sh*t. 1978 Stern Stars is Bad Azz thogh!

Now I know why he calls himself "Crazy" Levi, because he is definitely CRAZY lol.

Theres a reason that he hates Ghostbusters that he isn't telling us. I mean even if you dont think GB is anywhere near the best pin ever, how could anyone hate such a fantastic game??? Just a thought, maybe Levi could install the center post mod between the flippers and block the outlanes and it wouldnt kick his ass so bad! Ha ha

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just a thought, maybe Levi could install the center post mod between the flippers and block the outlanes and it wouldnt kick his ass so bad

I don't think the 64th ranked pinball player in the world needs any posts....

rd

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I don't think the 64th ranked pinball player in the world needs any posts....
rd

If thats the truth then he probably doesnt for sure. I still think hes crazy for not liking GB tho

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Assuming this playfield debacle never happened, and hopefully it gets straightened out real soon.........could Ghostbusters be the best Pinball machine ever made? I think it's possible. Please, only people who have actually played the machine and who have spent a fair amount of time on it reply. If you have never played GB, please do not reply.

Nope. Not even top 20. Played three of them and didn't enjoy the play. It's better than the last few previous Stern pins I've played, but not the best one.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Nope. Not even top 20. Played three of them and didn't enjoy the play. It's better than the last few previous Stern pins I've played, but not the best one.

Do you like GB better than WD, MET and GOT?

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Now I know why he calls himself "Crazy" Levi, because he is definitely CRAZY lol.

Normally I would agree based on some of his past posts but, his honest take on Stars won me over enough to get me to log in and thank him for that unexpectedly awesome response! (As well as all the other Stars fans peppered in this thread... )

I know it might be hard to comprehend Who-Dey/Iceman/___, that a game from 1978 can somehow still trounce a glossy juggernaut "theme/fan" favorite such as Ghostbusters but, in reality it does!
(And on a regular basis too!)
Even the mightymode Hobbit gets the perpetual backseat in my house thanks to Steve Kirk's simple-yet-brutal design.

Hard to believe?
Not really.

Once you get the roving red special going after lighting all the stars, it turns even the most seasoned tourney players into crazed laser chasing cats.
(Machine-gunning chime is just too addictive once you hear it...)

I can also add in with confidence that my 1979 Future Spa is also holding it's own for guest playability over all it's 90's-2016 fancy multiballed counterparts.

"Easy to learn, hard to master."
It used to be the design mantra of pinball and (of course I'm channeling my inner O-din here...) most of the games made after WWII up until the start of the DMD era, honor that mantra.

I for one would love to see Stern pull some classics/unfinished games (*cough* Lazer Lord) out of the vault instead of the not-so-old LOTR, SM, etc... so that more people can experience what makes these basic-by-today's standard layouts SO addicting.

GB is a fun game and quite pretty to look at, but there are a lot more games out there that are easily heads and tails better than GB in both playability and lastability.

And just to be fair Who-Dey,
The rest of the "top ten" A-List Gucci pins have also worn out their welcome never to return.

I guess you just have to unlearn what you've already learned to be truly happy while playing pinball.

Maybe it's time put a poll up?

My humble Stars takes NO prisoners.

#120 7 years ago

Stars is now on my list to try and play. Some of the simple ruleset type games have tons of 'just one more go'.

Sluggin Champ 1955 one of the best players of any era has the simple feature that RBI's increase each ball so by ball 5 you score 5 RBI each time target is hit.

A terrible game can be transformed by one last awesome ball - no wonder this game was one of the biggest earners on location of all time.

Playfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpg

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Normally I would agree based on some of his past posts but, his honest take on Stars won me over enough to get me to log in and thank him for that awesome response! (As well as all the other Stars fans peppered in this thread... )
I know it might be hard to comprehend Who-Dey/Iceman/___, that a game from 1978 can somehow still trounce a glossy juggernaut "theme/fan" favorite such as Ghostbusters but, it does!
(And on a regular basis too!)
Even the mightymode Hobbit gets the perpetual backseat in my house thanks to Steve Kirk's simple-yet-brutal design.
Hard to believe?
Not really.
Once you get the roving red special going after lighting all the stars, it turns even the seasoned players into crazed laser chasing cats.
(Machine-gunning chime is just too addictive once you hear it...)
I can also add in with confidence that my 1979 Future Spa is also holding it's own for guest playability over all it's 90's-2016 fancy counterparts.
"Easy to learn, hard to master."
It used to be the design mantra of pinball and (of course I'm channeling my inner O-din here...) most of the games made after WWII up until the start of the DMD era, honor that mantra.
I for one would love to see Stern pull some classics out of the vault so that more people can experience what makes these older games so addicting.

I have a nice Meteor and Firepower and I like them alot but for me personally, I think the newer Stern machines are alot more fun. I have a WD and after owning that my older machines rarely get played. I will soon have a GB and a GOT probably and the older machines will probably get no play at all because to me theres just no comparison. Thats not a knock on old machines either because they are from my era and they are still fun, but I just like the new machines much more. As far as Levi goes, we are just busting his balls, its all in good fun.

I could play any machine with some friends all night long and have a blast, but even as good as Firepower or Meteor is, if there is a WD or a GB sitting beside it, they just dont seem to be as much fun and im going to pick the newer pins all day long.

#122 7 years ago

To simplify the question: Is GB better than MM (which is the all time best pinball game ever, according to the Top 100).

If you think it is better than MM, then yes GB is the best game ever.

But it's all subjective so pointless really.

#123 7 years ago

It's a good, interesting game. But not a top 10 in my book.

I've played it on route and in the home environment. On route, where almost all of the 12 machines were being played - I was the only one to play GB. Both times I was at this locale. One guy and his buddy commented while looking over the machine "Game looks cool but not worth the money. Ball times too short, too hard." They watched me play, a short ball time game. Then commented "tough game" and walked away.

At friends houses, played GB and one out of every 5 games I can get a decent game going and start to explore. Interesting shots that I'd like to explore more. But, I can't recall a game where I've had more airballs, straight down the middle drains, and outlane "jump overs". This game needs tweaking in my opinion to give the player more of a chance. This isn't IM or Tron hard, this borders on stupid hard. Fix the outlines at least with a kit.

Fun, interesting and a good game. But not a top 10 yet in my book. Honeymoon is not the best time to determine a game being a "top game".

#124 7 years ago

Not in this reality....

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Here's 100 pins that are better.
rd
» YouTube video

Damn, mate!!! Your significant other supports your habit this way?

She got a sister?

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Gd pt. GOT and Kiss are two themes I really like a lot. I still don't own either game because the gameplay isn't quite working for me. I personally think Stern missed on those two.

GB is better than those two, but not better than MET or TWD.

#127 7 years ago

Stern Stars is the best pin ever-Now get off my lawn!

Get off my Lawn!.pngGet off my Lawn!.png

Dare-Pokemon.jpgDare-Pokemon.jpg

#128 7 years ago

It's way too early to even have this discussion. Give it 10 years....ratings are mostly subjective and personal opinions. GB is fun but so is MM and I don't consider MM the best game ever.

This discussion is wash/rinse/repeat with each new game that comes out. Bottom line is everyone likes games for different reasons and it's great to have so many choices. If pinball production dies and no new titles come out then this discussion can become relevant down the road......but for now games need time to age like a fine wine or a good song that is timeless.

With new games finally adapting new technology it will be interesting to see what will become of pinball in 10 years......ask this again in 10 years......

#129 7 years ago

No Way is GB the best pin ever.

#130 7 years ago

Funny that the complaints are, in general, "Too short Ball Times, Too Hard, a Drain Monster"

So one can add a Temp Drop down Center, and almost the same people, "Dont do that, its cheating, its being a wimp!"

For many reasons.....one NOT being its a shooters game, or a tournament players game, is it held back...I agree with this.
But under "Pure Fun, Mass Appeal, Sound and Light, 1-2 Games" add these together, and it Rocks.

So we are thrilled here with the drop down post, it plays amazing, and myself, friends and others playing mine "dialed in"
love it! (Silicone rubbers and tweaking the Magna slings, almost doubles its firing!)

I too have played a few Pros, and some in the wild....Very different then at home, or on a Premium,

#131 7 years ago

There is no such thing as the best pin (or insert any object here). Only personal favorites. I suppose you could argue the [object] most favored by those who expressed an opinion is the best ever.

I like GB. It had the most positive first impression for a Stern in a long time. I only had a weekend show with lines to play, but I got a good feel for the game. It's a good game.

I am still waiting for them to top Simpsons Pinball Party, and GB ain't the one.

#132 7 years ago

I completely agree with cody_chunn. Everyone has their personal favorites for different reasons. Some guys are only into em pins or early ss. Nostalgia is also strong for some and some just like the realibility of new pins. Every pin has its flaws and strengths as well. I would say every pin gets old at some point. Today GB may be best ever but tomorrow it will be something else. I think it comes down to the #1 pin is the last pin you added to your collection. For me that was MET. Best pin EVAR!

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Machine-gunning chime is just too addictive once you hear it...)

That is a great sound.

Quoted from NimblePin:

I for one would love to see Stern pull some classics out of the vault instead of the not-so-old LOTR, SM, etc... so that more people can experience what makes these classic layouts SO addicting.

What would you consider a good price point for a Stern Electronics Vault game? If they could make one in the low 3K, I would be in for sure, no questions asked. Low 4K I might consider pick and choose depending on which game they remake.

Of course this is all dependent on how modern they make it mechanically but we'll overlook that for now.

#134 7 years ago

$3K would be ideal but it's not realistic in today's already inflated market.
$4K is probably the max I'd be willing to spend on a brand new classic Stern OR Bally, provided they added in some new rules/sounds (that you could switch on/off) to build upon what made the original so great.

Otherwise people will just seek out said original for a fraction of the price and be happy with that...

Edit:
WNBJM for example, could've easily doubled it's sales if they just kept it AT or under $4K.
Alas, they decided to only go for the collectors wallet and supressed Nellie's overflowing passion to melon farm for the masses.

#135 7 years ago

For Chrissakes Nimblenapkin what's with all the coaster hatred ? Hurts my eyes...

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes its a real question. Tell me 10 pins that are better please.

I have 25 games that are better than GB, and I have a GB Prem on order. Let's narrow it down to Sterns, though - here are the Sterns in my collection that will never leave:

TSPP
FGY
IM
Tron LE
Met LE
ACDC Prem
LOTR

They are all better than GB. Why? The designs are super fun, challenging, but never frustrating...and the level of difficulty in design is perfectly balanced with the code. Example: LOTR is designed to have long ball times, but you're constantly uncovering new modes and rewards...I'm never bored by a long LOTR game. IM & Tron on the other hand are fast paced ass kickers, but the amount of content in those games is perfect for that type of design. All these games play smooth without any weird physical design issues to bother me.

GB, on the other hand, has frustrating physical issues like the giant flipper gap, and airballs that fly into the drain without anything the player can do. The game is an asskicker (partially due to unfairness, a problem IM is never accused of), but the difficulty of mode progression (modes
not continuing after a drained ball yet forcing the player to restart a mode if they haven't completed it) is not balanced with the design.

GB is one of the best looking and sounding games ever. Playing? It's not there yet. It needs to balance its content with design. If it gets a code update that addresses this, along with the outlane/center post mod it could be a contender for a high ranking game. At this moment in time, stock out of the box? Not even close to the gameplay/code of 30-50 other games in existence.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do you like GB better than WD, MET and GOT?

Liked it better than WD, Kiss, and GoT, but Metallica is better.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Stars beats Ghostbusters in a lot of features. Code is complete.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

For Chissakes Nimblenapkin what's with all the coaster hatred ? Hurts my eyes...

Hey, it's got an effin' cap on it.
No invisiPDIphoog glass to worry about on my classic clangers.

If it makes you feel better Huggy Bear, I've installed these babies on all my pins since that pic was taken.

#140 7 years ago

Step #2 : Uncap your beer.

#141 7 years ago

Nimbleknickers, you gonna make Expo this year ? Had some good laughs with ya last year, hope you can make it ! Don't forget Odin like you did last time though.

#142 7 years ago

GB is a top 10 Stern to me, but then I only own 10 Sterns

#143 7 years ago

Well, the Koozie alone settles all this nonsense in my mind.

#144 7 years ago

Put 300 or 400 plays on a premium or LE and then see what you think.

I heard the same garbage with TWD and it is one of Sterns best ever

You Stars lovers need to get on the ratings board and move it up from 220

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You Stars lovers need to get on the ratings board and move it up from 220

I watched a couple of Stern Stars videos to see what it was all about..... nodded off while watching.

#146 7 years ago

I have zero lane hops.

The sdtm drains from the left side of the pops is a bit aggravating, but you learn to nudge it and minimize those.

Sit down for a few hours on it and explore. It's great fun and addictive.

If Dwight fixes the scoring imbalance and beefs up the code like Lyman did with TWD it will be right up there if not better than TWD and Acdc for me

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I watched a couple of Stern Stars videos to see what it was all about..... nodded off while watching.

Watch bowen's tutorial! It's pretty exciting.

Even if he is teaching a growing generation of Stars players to approach the game the wrong way (I ain't giving away my secrets!)

Meanwhile if you want to drive yourself nuts play the new GB Ghosting Edition LE at sunshine in Brooklyn.

Of all the games that needs the "sunshine harder settings, one tilt warning, tight tilt" treatment, it sure as hell ain't this one. I think even the biggest GB lover around here would concede you need to be able to move that game a little for it to be any fun at all.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Step #2 : Uncap your beer.

Of course!
Happened right after I took the pics. Some people just love to see the complete NIB (new in bottle) experience.

Lol, I also just realized that you thought I had set the beer down directly on the PF...
I assure you there is still PF glass underneath the beer!
That's just what clean glass looks like.

As for Expo,
I'm pretty much over it. There are so many more shows that do it better AND for less $$$ than what Mike P tries to dole out year after year. Heck, even Pinball Life's Lionman-less-Svengoolie-sweet function last year had more energy/action/fun packed into it, and that was only open for a handful of hours!

TPF is probably a go if you'd like to meet up there, otherwise you'll just have to come out to visit us (wearing shorts) when your temps go south. Your kiddo is welcome too!
(Congrats buddy!)

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Even if he is teaching a growing generation of Stars players to approach the game the wrong way

Yeah, I noticed that too but still a valid way to get easy points.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Try and stay awake a bit longer and listen to what Bowen says after 7.55 and what happens around the 11 minute mark.

rd

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

TPF is probably a go if you'd like to meet up there, otherwise you'll just have to come out to visit us (wearing shorts) when your temps go south

Watch out Iceman, we are all heading to Texas 2017! Yeeeeehawwwwww!

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.